Type keyword(s) to search

How The Magic Works: Episode Thread & Rewatch Info

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, pixelcat said:

Don't know if anyone's started a Netflix binge of this season, but I was delighted to see the THEN/NOW is back for Season 12!  Checked a random ep in S11, nope still not there.

Ha! I checked the same thing. There must have been some negotiations issue for that season. I don't get it!

2 hours ago, pixelcat said:

Don't know if anyone's started a Netflix binge of this season, but I was delighted to see the THEN/NOW is back for Season 12!  Checked a random ep in S11, nope still not there.

Ha! I checked the same thing. There must have been some negotiations issue for that season. I don't get it!

12 minutes ago, SueB said:

Has TNT always played the original music?  Racist Ghost Truck was on and they had the original music. 

I think they've (almost) always had the original music.  The only one I remember them changing was after the car crash at the end of Devil's Trap, where they put some (annoyingly innocuous) original music instead of "Bad Moon Rising," and I think got a lot of flak for it.  (IIRC it was before Netflix and so was the first time fans missed the music.)  

(edited)
17 minutes ago, SueB said:

Has TNT always played the original music?  Racist Ghost Truck was on and they had the original music. 

As far as I know, the music has always been correct on broadcast. It's just the Netflix streaming versions of S1 where the music was changed--not in every episode, though. I'd hazard a guess that the music is correct on Amazon and iTunes, though, since you have to purchase the episodes and that probably covers the deals they made similar to the DVD sales. Whereas Netflix, the flat subscription rate probably doesn't cover the royalty costs or something.

It's interesting how the options have changed since S1!

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

No, TNT broadcasts Season 1 without the original music. The so-called "Bad Moon Rising" music is truly obnoxious and takes me out of the tragedy of the scene. Ironically, in the Season 2 opener when "Bad Moon Rising" is played, it is the correct version by CCR. I suspect that after WB (or TNT) released the episodes without the original music, they decided that it was a mistake for a show that is supposed to be filled with classic music. Or perhaps there was some other reason to continue paying residuals for the music.

17 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

No, TNT broadcasts Season 1 without the original music. The so-called "Bad Moon Rising" music is truly obnoxious and takes me out of the tragedy of the scene. Ironically, in the Season 2 opener when "Bad Moon Rising" is played, it is the correct version by CCR. I suspect that after WB (or TNT) released the episodes without the original music, they decided that it was a mistake for a show that is supposed to be filled with classic music. Or perhaps there was some other reason to continue paying residuals for the music.

That's weird, I was watching Faith on TNT and they played Don't Fear The Reaper,  which is the original music , but it's not on Netflix. I wonder if it's a matter of the particular piece of music?

(edited)
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

That's weird, I was watching Faith on TNT and they played Don't Fear The Reaper,  which is the original music , but it's not on Netflix. I wonder if it's a matter of the particular piece of music?

Perhaps, I'm not sure - it's been awhile since I watched the dvd of S1. I do know that the TNT version doesn't have "Fight the Good Fight" intro for the finale in S1. For whatever reason, it's the finale's music that insults me more than any other. It's also interesting to me that SN kept "Carry On, Wayward Son" which was introduced in the penultimate episode (Salvation) as its perennial finale song. :)

Edited by FlickChick
spelling error - it's not it's; it's its.
  • Love 3

I'm not aware of anything wrong with the TNT music.  It's Netflix that's jacked.

Some days TNT is really there for me.  Rough week, but today I get: Playthings, Nightshifter, Houses of the Holy, Born Under a Bad Sign, and Tall Tales.  Pretty hard to beat that.

• Love 5

I intentionally watched the TNT airing of "Devil's Trap" JUST to check the music -- and it's the 'alternate' music at the end.  In short - NO CLUE.  It seems a mix of both alternate and original. 

• Love 2

I've been watching season 11 today, and I still have no idea why they felt the need to de-age Amara back to an infant, and then re-age her back to her original age.  It made very little sense to the story.  I suppose it was a plot device to explain why she'd be vulnerable enough to hang out with Crowley for a few episodes, but it was totally unnecessary.  

The very opening scenes of Dean and Amara in the fog definitely had sexual tension, so having her then become a baby took whatever potential story there might have been and gave it a major ick factor.  I think they originally planned for their connection to be something more sexual than it turned out to be.  But because of the ill-advised choice to make her an infant, it completely ruined the connection they had, and made it something neither character could articulate.  And having Dean awkwardly state that it wasn't a physical attraction, when prior scenes clearly showed that it was, just muddied the waters even more.  I wish they'd gone with their original plan. I think it could have been a much more interesting storyline.

• Love 3
On 6/24/2017 at 6:29 PM, MysteryGuest said:

I've been watching season 11 today, and I still have no idea why they felt the need to de-age Amara back to an infant, and then re-age her back to her original age.  It made very little sense to the story.  I suppose it was a plot device to explain why she'd be vulnerable enough to hang out with Crowley for a few episodes, but it was totally unnecessary.  

The very opening scenes of Dean and Amara in the fog definitely had sexual tension, so having her then become a baby took whatever potential story there might have been and gave it a major ick factor.  I think they originally planned for their connection to be something more sexual than it turned out to be.  But because of the ill-advised choice to make her an infant, it completely ruined the connection they had, and made it something neither character could articulate.  And having Dean awkwardly state that it wasn't a physical attraction, when prior scenes clearly showed that it was, just muddied the waters even more.  I wish they'd gone with their original plan. I think it could have been a much more interesting storyline.

It was a 'god becomes man' story.  That in order to interact with the world, Amara needed to become part of the world.  And just like Jesus became incarnate (Latin for 'in the flesh') as a baby, they had Amara do the same.  The process of growing being part of the transition.  

And from a horror perspective, horror stories LOVE evil babies.  It's a classic.  

• Love 3

What the what?  Rolling along with another TNT re-watch.  Swan Song yesterday, plus the first 2 eps of Season 6.  Today starts off with 6.03 - The Third Man, and then BAM -- Something Wicked comes on!?  Checking ahead in the guide, it's Provenance and Dead Man's Blood to close out the day.  But then tomorrow, it's back to Weekend at Bobby's and on track for Season 6 again.  "What's happening?!?"

2 minutes ago, sarthaz said:

What the what?  Rolling along with another TNT re-watch.  Swan Song yesterday, plus the first 2 eps of Season 6.  Today starts off with 6.03 - The Third Man, and then BAM -- Something Wicked comes on!?  Checking ahead in the guide, it's Provenance and Dead Man's Blood to close out the day.  But then tomorrow, it's back to Weekend at Bobby's and on track for Season 6 again.  "What's happening?!?"

An intern screwed up?

Come on, interns!  Yesterday they skipped over "Slash Fiction", so it's confusing as Hell when the boys are pissed at each other and have ditched the Impala in "The Mentalists".  And then today ... they air "Slash Fiction"?!?  Ass-butts.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, sarthaz said:

Come on, interns!  Yesterday they skipped over "Slash Fiction", so it's confusing as Hell when the boys are pissed at each other and have ditched the Impala in "The Mentalists".  And then today ... they air "Slash Fiction"?!?  Ass-butts.

Not only that, but some days they show an extra hour of episodes. Someone must have let the children take over the programming. LOL

38 minutes ago, sarthaz said:

That feeling when you come home from a loooooong morning and Bitten is on. :(

Not Heartache? :(  (I can at least watch parts of Bitten).

Ah here I was looking forward to getting through at least season 10 and maybe even 11 while on vacation at my in laws house in France, so I'd be much closer to catching up in time for season 13.

But apparently Netflix in France will only let me download season 9.  I'll have that done in a few days (depending on what we're doing).  Guess I'll have to do major binging in September. 

• Love 4

Almost done with S10.  I don't know that I'll finish S11 and S12 before S13 starts, but I should be able to catch up the first episode or two of S13 very quick after I complete S11 and 12.  I'll finally be all caught up and ready to watch week to week.  Boy will that feel slow....

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

I watched Sympathy For the Devil this afternoon. I had to wonder why Bobby wasn't wearing any of his anti-possession charms. 

One of the many great mysteries--or conveniently convenient things--of the show.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Commando Cody said:

I watched Sympathy For the Devil this afternoon. I had to wonder why Bobby wasn't wearing any of his anti-possession charms. 

Perhaps he was, but the demons got the jump on him and took them off before possession? Of course, since we don't see it on screen there's no definite answer, but that's a IC scenario IMO :)

1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:

Perhaps he was, but the demons got the jump on him and took them off before possession? Of course, since we don't see it on screen there's no definite answer, but that's a IC scenario IMO :)

Wait.  Now I have 'Bobby in he shower' image.  NOPE.  

• Love 2

Well almost halfway through S11, so won’t be ontime forS13.  Hopefully I’ll finish S11-12 by the end of the month. Recording S13 in the meantime to watch when I finish S12. 

Gotta admit, I didn’t think I’d finish 12 seasons of 22-23 episodes per season in less than a year. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

Well almost halfway through S11, so won’t be ontime forS13.  Hopefully I’ll finish S11-12 by the end of the month. Recording S13 in the meantime to watch when I finish S12. 

Gotta admit, I didn’t think I’d finish 12 seasons of 22-23 episodes per season in less than a year. 

When I first watched the show S6 was airing. It took me almost six months to catch up and I watched the last couple episodes of S6 in real time. So a year seems reasonable to me. So, I think you're doing great and I can't wait to have you join our real time discussions!

That feeling when you suffer through Charisma Carpenter's awful "character" "arc" on Charmed, biding your time for our beloved show to start on TNT, and when 10am ET finally arrives ... it's "Shut Up, Dr. Phil".  Chuck's screwing with me today. :/

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

When I first watched the show S6 was airing. It took me almost six months to catch up and I watched the last couple episodes of S6 in real time. So a year seems reasonable to me. So, I think you're doing great and I can't wait to have you join our real time discussions!

I think I started watching in real time in season 10 or maybe the end of season 9, I watched all of the other season's in just a little over 3 weeks. It was a major binge. 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Diane said:

I think I started watching in real time in season 10 or maybe the end of season 9, I watched all of the other season's in just a little over 3 weeks. It was a major binge. 

That's a serious binge.

TNT has been airing 4 episodes a day for as long as I can remember.  Obviously it takes longer to loop through every year, but even now, you can knock that out in 13 weeks if you just follow along.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, sarthaz said:

That's a serious binge.

TNT has been airing 4 episodes a day for as long as I can remember.  Obviously it takes longer to loop through every year, but even now, you can knock that out in 13 weeks if you just follow along.

It was all I was watching at the time, it was intense to say the least.

• Love 2

I only had to catch up on one season because I started watching in Season 2, but it was back in the day when I had to get Netflix to physically mail me the DVDs. It was torture only getting 4 episodes at a time, and then waiting another 3 days for the next one to arrive in the mail. I eventually bought the DVDs because I wanted  to rewatch and just couldn't handle the wait again. Thank goodness for streaming. Now I can really go all-in on binge-watching.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, sarthaz said:

That feeling when you suffer through Charisma Carpenter's awful "character" "arc" on Charmed, biding your time for our beloved show to start on TNT, and when 10am ET finally arrives ... it's "Shut Up, Dr. Phil".  Chuck's screwing with me today. :/

But did you notice how well she has aged?   I'm thinking cross roads deal.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, sarthaz said:

If only I had that kind of time every day.  I get between 1-3 episodes during the work-week M-F while on the bus/subway via Netflix's download, depending on if I run into a friend and actually talk to someone.  Evenings and weekends I usually catch up on my DVR recordings or watch streaming on wifi at home (only have so much room on that, so gotta keep up), and that's usually only 1-2 episodes of something before bed.  And that's when we're not out doing stuff.

1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

If only I had that kind of time every day.  I get between 1-3 episodes during the work-week M-F while on the bus/subway via Netflix's download, depending on if I run into a friend and actually talk to someone.  Evenings and weekends I usually catch up on my DVR recordings or watch streaming on wifi at home (only have so much room on that, so gotta keep up), and that's usually only 1-2 episodes of something before bed.  And that's when we're not out doing stuff.

The year that I did my very quick binge, I actually gave up most of my other shows.  Just started adding some of the new ones in again. 

13 hours ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

Ugh.  Knowing that S8 was coming up is the reason I've slowed down going through S7!

I did the same! Instead of it taking a week, two if I was particularly busy, it took me over a month to work my way through season 7! Now I think lll just try to get through 8-9 as quickly as possible so I can get to 10 where things improve again!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

<hushed, awed voice> You are a brave, brave man.

I haven't been able to build up the fortitude yet.  

Taken from Bitch vs Jerk thread!

The first half of the season is as awful as I remember! Bitten, Blood Brothers, Citizen Fang and Torn Frayed all remain utter garbage that needs to be thrown into the trash and never mentioned again. We Need To Talk about Kevin and Heartache aren't very far behind them. The only episodes of S8 I somewhat like are A Little Slice of Kevin, Hunteri Heroici, Time After Time, Everybody Hates Hitler and Goodbye Stranger (I think). GS is next on my rewatch list so I reserve the right to remove it from the tolerable episodes list lol. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:

The first half of the season is as awful as I remember! Bitten, Blood Brothers, Citizen Fang and Torn Frayed all remain utter garbage that needs to be thrown into the trash and never mentioned again. We Need To Talk about Kevin and Heartache aren't very far behind them. The only episodes of S8 I somewhat like are A Little Slice of Kevin, Hunteri Heroici, Time After Time, Everybody Hates Hitler and Goodbye Stranger (I think). GS is next on my rewatch list so I reserve the right to remove it from the tolerable episodes list lol. 

I did mostly like Hunter Heroici.  I just can't bring myself to get through those first awful ones to get to the not-quite-so-bad ones.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

I did mostly like Hunter Heroici.  I just can't bring myself to get through those first awful ones to get to the not-quite-so-bad ones.  

You should just skip straight through to As Time Goes By and watch from there! I think from that point the only truly disagreeable episodes are Taxi Driver and The Great Escapist. Remember the Titans is just Uber dull but not offensive IMO and Trial and Error just feels like a waste of time knowing the trials go nowhere LOL 

Edited by Wayward Son
Got my s7 and s8 time travel related episode mixed up.