Type keyword(s) to search

How The Magic Works: Episode Thread & Rewatch Info

• Start Topic

I watched Faith today for the first time on Netflix. The difference in the music is really glaring. They didn't even try to get a suitable replacement.

I was really hoping watching the first season on Amazon Instant Video would solve this but I'm watching "Bugs" right now and no Def Leppard at the bar. I guess I need to get the DVDs.

Welcome. There's coffee in the pot. Let us know if you need a sponsor.

Thanks...I'm a little alarmed at my level of obsession with this show right now.

• Love 2

Well, I was already watching on the tv thanks to Roku. But I went ahead and ordered the Blu-Ray anyway. :) I'll skip to season 2 for my rewatch while I wait for it to come. Eventually I'm sure I'll acquire all of the DVDs but I can't buy all 10 seasons at once unfortunately.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was really hoping watching the first season on Amazon Instant Video would solve this but I'm watching "Bugs" right now and no Def Leppard at the bar. I guess I need to get the DVDs.

Yeah, the music would be changed for all online streaming options. That's just the way the studio released it for that platform, unfortunately. I was lucky when I first came to the show it wasn't available for streaming on Netflix yet and I watched it via disk. I wouldn't have even known about the music swap and the music is such a big part of the show in the early seasons. You probably can find clips of the way it originally aired on YouTube.

For what it's worth, I don't know that the blue-rays make much difference for the first two seasons. They were still shooting on film until S3 and the show wasn't really designed for the "HD" stuff at that time. I'd say, even up to S5 probably wouldn't make too much of a difference. You might save a bit of money that way.

Also, S2 seems to never change price all that much, but all the other earlier seasons did fluctuate quite a bit when I was busy buying them. I just kept and eye on the pricing--I have rules about how much I can spend on these things--and a couple of the seasons I picked up for under $10 each.

I bought the regular DVDs and  they look like crap on my old DVD player.  I guess I'll just have to buy a blue ray.  Can I play regular DVD's on a Blue Ray?

Should be able to. I have a DVD player that's been giving me fits lately, so I've been looking at blue ray players--I haven't ran across one yet that doesn't play DVDs.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1
(edited)

Binns, you're not a ghost, by any chance?  Once a history professor?  ;-)

*sigh*  That's probably a joke only SueB and I will get.  Stupid movies leaving out good characters.  I wanted to see Peeves, dammit!

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 2

Binns, you're not a ghost, by any chance? Once a history professor? ;-)

*sigh* That's probably a joke only SueB and I will get. Stupid movies leaving out good characters. I wanted to see Peeves, dammit!

Haha! No...not a ghost. It's my middle name!

• Love 2

Binns, you're not a ghost, by any chance?  Once a history professor?  ;-)

*sigh*  That's probably a joke only SueB and I will get.  Stupid movies leaving out good characters.  I wanted to see Peeves, dammit!

ITA, Peeves would have been awesome. 

• Love 3

Binns, are you rewatching the whole series in order or just certain episodes?! I need to know these things :)

I'm sort of startled at my level of obsession here...I don't know if I've ever reacted to a show like this. Kinda embarrassing for a 40 year old woman... Or maybe not. But here's the deal- I binged the whole series over the past month and now looking at the threads here I see so many things I missed. So I'm REwatching all over again! This time on dvd so I can see the commentaries etc.

...also thinking about saving $ to go to the con in Pittsburgh...

I'm sort of startled at my level of obsession here...I don't know if I've ever reacted to a show like this. Kinda embarrassing for a 40 year old woman... Or maybe not. But here's the deal- I binged the whole series over the past month and now looking at the threads here I see so many things I missed. So I'm REwatching all over again! This time on dvd so I can see the commentaries etc.

...also thinking about saving $ to go to the con in Pittsburgh...

Grrrrl.....we are all there. I have watched every episode at least 5 times. ....I was seriously considering going to the Pasadena Con this year as I'm in SoCal...or flying to Denver, where I have family but it was too expensive and I'm job hunting. So you know...it's all good :) We are amongst friends.

Edited by catrox14

Grrrrl.....we are all there. I have watched every episode at least 5 times. ....I was seriously considering going to the Pasadena Con this year as I'm in SoCal...or flying to Denver, where I have family but it was too expensive and I'm job hunting. So you know...it's all good :) We are amongst friends.

The idea of a con sort of freaks me out, like I think I would embarrass myself by crying if I met Jensen (I'm a complete DeanGirl, like whoa)(I know you get me, girl), but maybe someday if I had someone to go with.

• Love 2

You just inspired me to rewatch again from the beginning of my beloved S1, too...yes, I'm that suggestible :)

Catch up to me! I'm on "Scarecrow." I'm super happy I got the DVDs bc the music for S1 is great now that I'm hearing it for the first time.

• Love 1

The idea of a con sort of freaks me out, like I think I would embarrass myself by crying if I met Jensen (I'm a complete DeanGirl, like whoa)(I know you get me, girl), but maybe someday if I had someone to go with.

I am 59 and crazy obsessed with the show and Dean (another dean!girl here). I've been to 2 cons and I am going again next year to NJ Con. Why don't you come to NJ con! OMG you have to meet Jensen in person!

For all those who do not have Netfix accounts and haven't bought Season 10 DVDs, TNT is going to run the entire season 10 beginning this coming Tuesday, April 12 at 9:00 am Eastern/8:00 am Central. It will begin with the finale from S9, and show four episodes each weekday, ending on Tuesday, April 19. 

• Love 1

I am 59 and crazy obsessed with the show and Dean (another dean!girl here). I've been to 2 cons and I am going again next year to NJ Con. Why don't you come to NJ con! OMG you have to meet Jensen in person!

I do live in central PA so could go to Pitt or NJ easily enough. Too bad I'm not getting a big refund this year...think it's a little outside of my range money wise. Maybe next year! When is NJ?

Does anyone post in the Season episode threads this far back, lol.  Looks like they haven't been real active.  Well I'll be reading through episode threads if anyone wants to chat there! :)

• Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

I went to Target looking for season one. I think all they had were seasons 8 and 10. I was disappointed that I had to send season 1 back to Amazon and they didn't have a replacement. 

Have you looked at Amazon recently?  I was looking last night, and they did seem to have season one available in both DVD and Blu Ray.

Ok, I went back and checked, and they do have the DVD in stock, but apparently the Blu Ray is the European version, so there may be issues with that.  

Edited by MysteryGuest
7 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

Have you looked at Amazon recently?  I was looking last night, and they did seem to have season one available in both DVD and Blue Ray.

Ok, I went back and checked, and they do have the DVD in stock, but apparently the Blue Ray is the European version, so there may be issues with that.  

i have the blu-Ray...what's the difference with European versions? How can I tell?

I'm not really sure, honestly.  I just know that sometimes the European DVD's won't play on our players.  I have purchased some in the past, and it was an issue.  They even give a warning right on the website saying that they may or may not be compatible with your playing device.  It might be different with Blu Rays.  Maybe the one you have isn't a European version?  

I've watched the first 7 episodes - Hook Man last night.  My thoughts in no particular order:

• From the beginning I related more to Sam: the first hook for me was that his score on the LSATs was just 2 points better than mine, but I can tell you it was no where near enough for a free ride at Stanford (maybe the scoring had changed since 1992?). He never struck me as arrogant.
  • They're both so young AND so confident. Borrowed from someone on Tumblr, this is so true for Sam: "If you watch Supernatural backwards, it's about a man who gets happier and happier with each haircut."
  • Sam and Dean seem much more equals in their relationship than now, when it feels like balance of power has shifted much more to Dean. Example: in Just My Imagination, Dean summons Sam to the library(?) and Sam sheepishly follows. I don't see that happening in the first season at all!
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, auntvi said:

They're both so young AND so confident. Borrowed from someone on Tumblr, this is so true for Sam: "If you watch Supernatural backwards, it's about a man who gets happier and happier with each haircut."

Ha ha ha.  That's great.

Auntvi, there's a handful of us discussing in each episode thread as we re-watch if you wanna join us!  We're in Season 1 up to Home (so far).  I'm watching Asylum right now before work ;)

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Diane said:

Is anyone else still doing a re-watch, ours has been slow with vacation and working.  Really enjoying the early seasons.

I'm still watching, mid-S6 right now, but I started before most of y'all. I'm bound and determined to finish it all! ;)

• Love 1

I realize I kinda started this re-watch, and then disappeared.  I was posting in all the season 1 episode threads and then kept watching and stopped posting.
Part of it was because I didn't have much to add.  But the other part was because I'd go in a read through the episode thread and agree with a lot of the point made, then I'd read one post and nod my head and say "oh my gosh, I agree with everything in this post!"
... and then realize *I* had written the post.  From the last re-watch!  LOL

But I'm in Season 3.  slowly but surely watching.  Real life took all my time away :(

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Diane said:

Re-watching season 11 but I am only watching the MOW episodes, skipping the myth arc heavy ones. Starting with Baby!

I just finished my re-watch and delete of S11 last week - getting ready for the new season. Have to admit, I watched "Baby" three , four times before I hit that delete button. ;)

• Love 3