Type keyword(s) to search

How The Magic Works: Episode Thread & Rewatch Info

• Start Topic

When you are starting an episode thread be sure to check Use episode format? (the little checkbox under the Topic Title field) and fill in all the fields (Season #, Episode #, Title, Air date). Also add the episode description to your first post. You can get all the information on TheTVDB.com. It is PTV's policy to use the information from there for things like season and episode numbers, air dates, and episode descriptions etc. Thank you!

@catrox14, it's the original air date.  (Whatever date is listed at TVDB).

I know I did that on the one thread I made.

I fixed it. :)

I just started my usual summer series re-watch, wondered if there's anyone else who wants to join in the adventure? I've only gotten through the Pilot so far, but it seems every time I re-watch I find little things that I forgot about or plain just didn't notice before. It also helps me to engage in the next season by reminding me why I once found this show so fascinating. Anyway, any takers?

• Love 2
I just started my usual summer series re-watch, wondered if there's anyone else who wants to join in the adventure?

Are you talking about an organized Re-watch, or something casual?  I'd be up for it either way, but I'm not sure my schedule will keep up with an organized one.

• Love 1

I'm rather unorganized myself so I can't imagine I will be watching it in an organized way--other than each episode in order. My schedule is up and down throughout the summer so I get one in when I can, but usually get caught back up by the time the show comes back. If somebody wants to organize a re-watch, I would try to participate...I think I was thinking more in a casual way, I guess. Sorry, I didn't really think it through.

• Love 1

I'd definitely be up for a casual rewatch as well...well, at least of of the first three seasons :) Instead of trying to watch each and every episode, maybe each participant could just nominate a few favorites...? 

I think I was thinking more in a casual way, I guess.

Sounds good to me.   So no official re-watch (unless someone else wants to organize one).  So people can just post episode threads as we get to them to talk about the episodes?   

Instead of trying to watch each and every episode, maybe each participant could just nominate a few favorites...?

That would be okay with me, too.  I'm easy, I guess.

I would think we could just create an episode thread following the protocols per the site, and then people could comment as they wanted?  I don't know what episodes we would leave out. That's the good and alternately annoying thing about SPN nearly all episodes crappy or not (except Bloodlines) managed to have something meaningful for either the mytharc for the season or character development. We generally got one other the other if not both. Even stupid Racist Ghost Truck was important for Dean's character development what with Cassie and all.  Of course, I will never watch Bugs again because...bugs. 

(edited)
Instead of trying to watch each and every episode, maybe each participant could just nominate a few favorites...?

I need some sort of structure or else it all falls apart for me. ;)  I like catrox's idea of watching what we want and setting up threads as needed. That way anyone can jump in whether they want to re-watch or not.

BTW: this is my third summer doing a series re-watch. After the new season starts I re-watch randomly as I feel the need to. Don't know why I must watch it all throughout the summer, but apparently I must.

ETA: For those of you re-watching via Netflix--be forewarned that a lot of the music has been changed in S1--I believe there were some licensing issues for streaming--S2 and beyond has the same music it had when it originally aired. I have the DVDs, but from what I understand

the car crash at the end of the season is rather jarring

Edited by CuriousParker
Overly Cautious Spoiler Tag
  • Love 2

The most egregiously awful example of the Netflix music issue is the lack of "Don't Fear the Reaper" for "Faith".  It completely changes the tone of the scene without it. :(. 

• Love 2
The most egregiously awful example of the Netflix music issue is the lack of "Don't Fear the Reaper" for "Faith".  It completely changes the tone of the scene without it. :(.

Yikes.  That's the best part of that episode.  I'll have to remember never to watch it on Netflix.

Yikes.  That's the best part of that episode.  I'll have to remember never to watch it on Netflix.

It really was. That scene is so beautifully crafted and edited and it's perfect with Don't Fear the Reaper.  I don't understand why the licensing for the music is different with Netflix than what airs on TNT or is on the DVDs.

• Love 1
(edited)
I have the DVDs, but from what I understand

the car crash at the end of the season is rather jarring

I showed that scene to my daughter as an example of what a season finale should be but turned it off as soon as the song started playing.  No "Bad Moon Rising"?  Not interested.

Edited by CuriousParker
Overly Cautious Spoiler Tag
  • Love 1

Rewatch Spoiler Policy is as follows:

Please don't spoil elements beyond the episode thread you are posting in. For example don't put things about the last episode in the first episode and don't put stuff about episode 15 in the thread for episode 14 without spoiler tags.

Also note in character threads spoilers don't need to be tagged. Consider character threads open season on spoilers so read at your own risk!

Please start new episode threads too.

(edited)

I'm confused about the spoiler policy in this thread.  This is the re-watch discussion -- which means we've seen the episodes previously and are watching them again.  How are spoilers even possible?

And how do we know what's a spoiler and what's not, since the discussion is going to be rather loose?  I watched 3 episodes from season 8 today on TNT -- if others are discussing various season 1 episodes, does that mean I have to wait until others get to season 8?

I'm so confused.

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 2

I'm confused about the spoiler policy in this thread.  This is the re-watch discussion -- which means we've seen the episodes previously and are watching them again.  How are spoilers even possible?

And how do we know what's a spoiler and what's not, since the discussion is going to be rather loose?  I watched 3 episodes from season 8 today on TNT -- if others are discussing various season 1 episodes, does that mean I have to wait until others get to season 8?

I'm so confused.

Not everybody that participates is a rewatch has seen the show (that's why I put the season 2 stuff behind tags).  For instance, the site just did a Band of Brothers rewatch over Memorial Day weekend.  I had never watched the show and I had not been spoiled so I got to participate in the discussions without any worries.  Sometimes it's fun to see an episode through new eyes. 

This thread is to discuss the set up of this rewatch and for any others that may come after it.

If you want to talk about a specific episode, start an episode thread.  If you want to talk about an over all arc take that to the All Episodes thread.

For example:

You watch Season 8 Episode 1.  Start a S08E01 episode thread.  You can talk about anything up to and including S08E01 without spoiler tags.

If you are commenting in a S02E10 thread, you can talk about anything up to and including S02E10 without spoiler tags but anything after that needs spoiler tags.

Did that help?  Or clear as mud? :)

Man, when I made the invitation this morning I had no idea how complicated things would get...I think I understand it all now though and it's not really as complicated as I made it in my head. Thanks for the clarification CuriousParker.

• Love 1

So could we get subforums for each season's episode threads, or else I think it's going to get really cluttered in here with almost 200 episodes.  Should I request that elsewhere? I can make the threads for season 1, I plan on starting to rewatch that this week. 

Okay, then, so this thread is only to set up the re-watch, not to actually discuss the episodes?  The episodes will be discussed in episode-specific threads?

Yes.

So could we get subforums for each season's episode threads, or else I think it's going to get really cluttered in here with almost 200 episodes.  Should I request that elsewhere? I can make the threads for season 1, I plan on starting to rewatch that this week. 

Can't do sub-forums.  If the episode threads don't get traffic they will drop off the 1st page.  If the individual episode threads don't get a lot of traffic, I may merge them into an "All Episode Talk" by specific season thread.  For right now, let's do specific episode threads and see how that goes.

I realized that I need to really kick this re-watch in the ass (hee!) if I'm going to make it through it all before the season starts in October. It took me over a month to get through S1, that just doesn't add up. Is anyone else ahead of me and want to start episode threads themselves or is anyone out there still re-watching? Or maybe you guys would rather I shut the hell up and keep my thoughts to myself at this point?

• Love 1

Has it been that long? Damn, summer is just flying by! I'm good with whatever pace you want, DittyDotDot. I can watch about an ep a day at least since I watch as I trudge along on my treadmill. Sometimes I also watch other shows I have on DVD, but somehow SPN seems comfortable, and I usually end up going back to it eventually. I've been bouncing between season 1 and season 6 and 7 this June (I figure those are far enough ahead, I'll be ready to go back to them by the time we get to them.)

Finishing before the new season starts means we have I think about 100 days left. How many episodes do we have left? Maybe we can choose some seasons over others... though I'm guessing there will be disagreement over which seasons to choose, so that's likely a bad idea. I know I'll fight for season 7 since I'm enjoying those at the moment, but it could be only a couple of us discussing that season based on popular opinion. Season 6 gets markedly better for me after episode 8 or so however.

So far you're doing a great job, DDD.

• Love 1
(edited)

No worries @ElleryAnne and @AwesomO4000. I have no strict pace or schedule--some nights I'll do two episodes and then get busy for a couple of days and do none. Whatever works, just wondered if anyone actually cared anymore--I'll keep plugging away either way, it's my summer routine and I need some routine or else I flounder.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

I'm actually loving the rewatch and am so grateful to you for organizing it, DDD. Even when I can't contribute with my usual obnoxious verbosity, I really love reading other people's thoughts on prior episodes and strolling down memory lane with you guys. I don't care how many episodes we end up covering, but I hope you don't stop! 

• Love 1

Promise to get back to our little re-watch...hopefully tonight. Life went a little sideways for a couple of weeks there, but I think I may have gotten back on track now...plus got some much needed sleep. It's amazing how a couple of nights of actual sleep will improve one's outlook. ;) Anyway, is anyone out there still watching?

• Love 3

Yes, still watching and all caught up to where we were and advanced a little ahead, so that I'll have a cushion for when you start again and I'll invariably fall a little behind - thereby delaying my falling behind at least a little.

Ready to forge ahead.

• Love 2
Anyway, is anyone out there still watching?

I am!  RL has just been busy and it keeps getting in the way of my PTV time. :)   I'm still in the rewatch, though.  One day you'll sign on and I will have posted, like, two hundred comments in the episode threads!

• Love 1

Whew, finally finished S2...at this rate I will definitely not get through it all before the new season starts. How many would I have to mainline per day to make that mark...it doesn't matter, I doubt my schedule would allow for it. So, at what point should I stop or should I just keep going even after the season starts? What do you guys think?

And you know that I'd be down for season 7, @DementedDaisy. With the exception of a few bad episodes, I think it's an under-appreciated season. (Like some of season 6 - especially the final few episodes.) So I'd be there for the discussion - however me and technical stuff are not two things that mesh, so me trying to start an episode thread sounds like a disaster waiting  to happen on the scale of unsinking the Titanic just begging for fate to come in and mess with me.

Hee! @AwesomO4000, I think you might find it easier than you think. The site has a format for setting up episode threads and if you make a mistake, just let a mod know and they are very gracious in fixing it. Or they were with me anyway...you didn't know this but I had the wrong air date on a thread, and quite possibly I've screwed up other things that I just didn't notice...so don't worry, you won't break the internet or anything like that. Or at least I don't think you will. ;)

• Love 1

@AwesomO4000 starting topics even episode ones is easy, the only difference is after you click 'start new topic', you should click the small checkbox under the title box that reads 'use episode format?', then it will magically change so that you can add the season and episode numbers separately, as well as the episode title and original airdate. We use TheTVDB.com for episode blurbs, numbers, airdates etc.

Any mistakes/problems let us know and we can rectify it, no problem.

Thanks.

The good news, Ditty, is that you only have to get through the rest of 5 and 6.  I did 7 and 8.  I suppose someone should do the S9 episodes that haven't been done yet -- I think episodes 1, 2, and 3 have threads, then it jumps to 14.  You up for it?

Edited by Demented Daisy

Yeah, but I still need to actually re-watch S7 and S8 for it to actually be complete--yes, I know this is a self-imposed rule and I also know that I'm weird, thank you very much! Ugh, S8 and I guess that also means I gotta do S9, too. Ugh again.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1