Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation With Spoilers

Which is exactly my biggest argument against it, I don't feel ANYTHING romantic between them really, and the last two seasons have sucked like a hoover, so I'm just not particularly invested in this, not more than I am in their friendship. I used to think they at least had chemistry but that's gone out the window for me this season. 

I would agree though that if that relationship happens it's not driven my Steroline fandom, but more by they need to give Stefan and consolation prize and Caroline is no one's consolation prize.

I wish I could argue against the point that this season has damaged the Steroline connection, but I can't. It has. They've taken just about the worst possible path, and I'm just hoping against hope that they work that TVD magic on it in the second half of the season. But I definitely have reservations.

I don't feel like Caroline is a consolation prize for Stefan though. I think that's how it would have felt, had they not taken all this time, and had they not dismantled Stelena first. That's why I think I came around. First I had to let go of the idea of Elena ever improving as a character and of Stelena, as the show obviously has, and then I came to really root for Steroline.

• Love 1

First I had to let go of the idea of Elena ever improving as a character and of Stelena, as the show obviously has, and then I came to really root for Steroline.

Heh, yes that is definitely my problem, I can not let go of the idea Elena will improve and return the best version of herself, that Stelena could still reunite and be what the were, the chemistry still seems like it's there, and I'm not convinced Dalena is end game. But also would love if Elena would choose herself or join Jeremy in walking off screen.

I do believe one reason I'm enjoying this season is because I'm not overly invested in ANY ship, I enjoyed Bamon, but I'm not stupid enough to think they'd ever give Kat/Bonnie that kind of story, I'm one of the few, uh only people who seems to like Liv (her killing that kid so Tyler wouldn't become a vampire is my favorite scene of the season), so I'm enjoying her and Tyler. I do love Caroline and Stefan's friendship, and I agree that they've built this slowly enough where I don't really object to them getting together, I'm just indifferent. I'm hope they cast Sarah Salvatore well, because maybe she will be Matt's true love, that boy needs and deserves all the lovin.

Klaroline was popular but Klaroline also became a nonentity once The Originals was a go. The only solution was to move Caroline from TVD to The Originals. But as long as they were on separate shows, it wasn't happening but the writers still made it possible to throw the shippers a bone. 

I snort at the euphemism.

I also get why some feel there isn't any chemistry between Stefan and Caroline because they certainly don't give off the rip your clothes off intensity that Damon/Elena do, Elena and Stefan had at one point in their early relationship, even Caroline and Tyler and Caroline and Klaus.

I've always felt like Stefan and Caroline had lots of chemistry. Ever since season 2, when he was the one giving her vampire lessons right after she turned. And I would love the irony of his original statement to her in the pilot of "it's never gonna happen."

• Love 4

I really wish I could get on board with Steroline, because other than a few dodgy moments this season, last and his whole "Klaus revenge grrr" stage, Stefan has consistently been the best.  And Caroline I love to death.  But it just doesn't work for me.  It still feels like a backup parachute that the writers have packed just in case.  

I'm for add more characters, because I think this show has a serious case of "epic love" that needs to be toned down a bit.  Sometimes the next person you fall in love with is just the next person you fall in love with and considering there is a serious potential that these characters could live forever, I think both Stefan and Caroline could benefit from that lesson.  

I wont scream or throw a fit if they get together, but I probably will pout a bit and grumble under my breath.

If I had things my way I'd really like to see a time jump between this season and next so we can see these characters in the next stage of their lives and a little further removed from the "high drama" of high school.

• Love 2
I've always felt like Stefan and Caroline had lots of chemistry.

For the record, I think they have chemistry. Just saying, based on some of the pairings that have been popular on this show, I am not surprised by some who feel that they don't have any chemistry. And interesting you bring up S2 because to my knowledge, that was the first time I remember a significant number of viewers considering the possibility of Stefan and Caroline. So it's definitely not something that just popped up in the fandom. 

And I totally get those who can't "get on-board" with it but really, at this point, that's the story of this show. You sort of suck it up and try to enjoy the few things you can still like and try to ignore all the things you hate. I mean I loathe Elena with the fire of a thousand suns and want her and Damon and their boring, shitty ass relationship to burn in a fire but I accept the reality that it will not go away and watching the show means having to put up with it. I want Enzo and his marble mouth pointless existence dead but there he is so far, stinking up this season for me. Those are the sacrifices we all make. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

All this so much....

As for the fandom not being big enough, I disagree. Yes Klaroline was popular but Klaroline also became a nonentity once The Originals was a go. The only solution was to move Caroline from TVD to The Originals. But as long as they were on separate shows, it wasn't happening but the writers still made it possible to throw the shippers a bone. 

Stefan and Caroline's fandom may not be as huge as Damon/Elena but it is there and I do think they have gotten more vocal in more recent seasons. More importantly, the pairing started showing up in the media as well. There were many entertainment blogs, sites, reviews, etc. that started mentioning the possibility of the two, why it would work, why it would be a good idea. And then it started popping up a lot more in questions to the creators on social media, in interviews, cast appearances, etc.

So I wouldn't say that didn't factor in at all. I also completely disagree that Stefan/Caroline is a need to give Stefan a "consolation" prize. I really think it's has to do again, with the fandom increasing but also, as noted above, this is a teen (20's) romance show and the fact is relationships, romantic ones at that are a core part of these shows. I also get why some feel there isn't any chemistry between Stefan and Caroline because they certainly don't give off the rip your clothes off intensity that Damon/Elena do, Elena and Stefan had at one point in their early relationship, even Caroline and Tyler and Caroline and Klaus.

That said, it's funny but I was one of those for as much as I could recognize the chemistry between Damon and Elena, I have always hated that pairing and similarly I was mostly indifferent to Elena and Stefan because I've always kind of hated Elena. All that to say that I love Stefan and I love Caroline and I love them in scenes together and that's more than enough for me to enjoy them in a romantic relationship. 

Yes to all of this. I do think though with the writers decision to finally explore the romantic potential of Stefan and Caroline is something they've planned since at least S4 and would be going forward with it regardless of the fandom. I think the Steroline fandom got bigger because people realized there was an actual possiblity of it happening. I myself liked the idea of them in season 2 but I figured they were just a crack ship, I didn't really start getting into them hardcore until the end of S4 when it seemed like this was the direction they were actually going to go in.

Caroline isn't a consolation prize for Stefan at all. Besides the fact that who can define Elena as a prize at this point Stefan isn't the same guy from S1. I used to ship Stelena in S3 & some of S4 but when I look back on it now I just realize how wrong she is for him. Stefan's draw to Elena stems from the fact that he saw her as the "good" Katherine and even more so the writers have done everything in their power to completely destroy that relationship. In terms of SC chemistry I think the reason people don't see the romance chemistry is because they've always kept it pretty platonic because of the slow burn. But I felt massive chemistry between those two last year when they cuddled in the wagon and the past couple of episodes have explorded it as well. I think SC chemistry is a little more subtle too and not like burning sexual tension and I like that.

So personally, I'm pro-Steroline because: Step 1--JP and CD utterly destroyed Stelena, brick by brick. First they ruined Elena as a character, which would have been enough, but the damage they've done to those two and purposeful friendzoning has killed that ship for me for good. Step 2--I came to really enjoy and root for Steroline I think because they've taken so much time developing it. I mean, it's honestly been in the works for two full seasons, and not one explicitly romantic thing has happened yet. It feels more like a natural transition, and honestly like a natural next step for these two people who are so much closer to self-actualized than their previous love interests were. I like them, and I'm really rooting for the show not to drop the ball on this storyline as they have almost every other I've even half-enjoyed since S3.

I get that a lot of people don't like them, but I don't think the Steroline fandom was big enough or vocal enough for this story to be a result of that. At all. Other than Delena, Klaroline is/was certainly the loudest fandom. Just my take.

Everything here is exactly how I feel. Once I gave up on SE because I didn't want Elena anywhere near Stefan and I saw SC was an actual possibility I really started to embrace it. It's actually been pretty carefully constructed over the past few seasons and I feel like it has the best build up of any relationship on this show. There's a lot of parallels to the characters (used as human blood bags, had parents who hated their vampirism, drawn to darkness) and I'm just praying the show doesn't screw it up.

I think DE and KC are the loudest fandoms and if the writers did what the fans wanted those would be the pairings. I don't like either of those pairing personally but KC always bothered me and I think it's determental to Caroline's character to ever pursue a relationship with Klaus. He tried to kill her twice, killed her boyfriend's Mom, killed her best friend's aunt and forced her other best friend to turn off his humanity and become a ripper. I've come to terms with their little fling in the woods but I hope I never see Caroline and Klaus share a scene together again. I get that people like it but I just don't.

Either way its basically confirmed that Steroline is happening and I'm thrilled. I miss Stefan as the romantic hero guy and it's a pairing that I truly enjoy. I just hope they don't drop the ball or use it to set up a Caroline/Stefan/Elena love triangle because are you kidding me show?

Edited by kmariee
  • Love 2

And I totally get those who can't "get on-board" with it but really, at this point, that's the story of this show. You sort of suck it up and try to enjoy the few things you can still like and try to ignore all the things you hate. I mean I loathe Elena with the fire of a thousand suns and want her and Damon and their boring, shitty ass relationship to burn in a fire but I accept the reality that it will not go away and watching the show means having to put up with it. I want Enzo and his marble mouth pointless existence dead but there he is so far, stinking up this season for me. Those are the sacrifices we all make. 

Just want you to know this made me laugh for a good 5 minutes and I completely agree!

• Love 1

Okay the ep synopsis for Bird in a Gilded Cage is very amusing. 

when Caroline's plan for Stefan backfires, she is left to pick up the pieces

Hee, I am just imagine this as LITERAL, Caroline picking up body parts while bitching at Stefan about the mess.

Lastly, an unexpected gift from Bonnie leaves Damon shaken to his core.

They are totally fucking with us, I am both excited/hopeful and also worried about Bon Bon/Bamon. I mean it's a gift, so if he's shaken is it by unexpected romantic/sexty time feelings that brings up OR is he shaken because her knew unapologetic zero fucks to give attitude freaks him out?

• Love 2

I was thinking that her unexpected gift would be one more chance and forgiveness.  I am stuck on this idea, but I don't think her BAMF attitude would "gift" him with anything.  Of all the people that she is now with in MF, I would expect her to still consider Damon the one she is closest to.

I like Damon's friendship with Bonnie, and Stefan's friendship with Caroline.  I wouldn't want either of them to become a romantic relationship just because the writers can't figure out anywhere else to go with the characters.

• Love 1

We're still calling these bunch of buffoons "Our heroes".... really?

Can we start a petition to cut that shit out?

They're heroes in Plec's heart which doesn't work because it's as undead and recycled as this show.

• Love 1

I really hope that Stefan is just pretending to be a rippah but I can't decide if Caroline turning on her humanity to pull him back would be awesome or crappy. She obviously still cares about him (why else did she make him turn off his switch instead of Elena?) and maybe seeing the full extent of his urges and choices will lead her to realize that this is not the situation she wants to be in. But I was really rooting for healthy grieving, so I'm kind of hoping that Caro realizes that feeling her pain and celebrating her mother's life is way better than hiding from it. She's better than that. I hope she pulls Stefan back and becomes his anchor instead of Elena and then he helps her to grieve. It would add another layer to their relationship and to their friendship.

So does anyone else find it suspicious that Mama Salvatore was turned in  hospital while she was dying of consumption and Enzo was turned while dying in a hospital of consumption and we are also now being told why loyalty is so important to 'Enzo?

• Love 1

Somebody pointed out re: the cure that Katherine only started ageing after Silas drained her blood AND the cure from her, hence if Damon or Stefan were to take it they would not age rapidly but merely become human again.  I.am.here.for.this.

So does anyone else find it suspicious that Mama Salvatore was turned in  hospital while she was dying of consumption and Enzo was turned while dying in a hospital of consumption and we are also now being told why loyalty is so important to 'Enzo?

I find it almost impossible to focus on any little tidbits regarding Enzo as I find the character entirely redundant, therefore nope, hadn't thought of this. But good catch and you're right it will probably come into play at some point down the road, there's not much reason for such a coincidence otherwise.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

Just came in here to see if there were any new spoilers because I happened to stumble upon some speculation about Enzo possibly being a third Salvatore brother and NO...JUST NO. I am already barely struggling to make it through this season. That will be the thing that effectively does it for me. And great more reason for him to whine and go on about some delusional vendetta against Stefan. 

• Love 1

Enzo, a Salvatore? No way, that would push me over the edge. UGH!

That said, I have always wondered why they picked such an Italian name. I assumed it was coincidence. It was a dumb choice as he's supposed to British - why not go for something like Harry or George?

Oh, I definitely had that thought about Enzo too. I would HATE it. That character is not worthy of being a Salvatore.

Oh Christ! This screams of that brief time when they tried to replace Bo and Luke with Vance and Coy. No thanks, we don't need Enzo Salvatore. We don't even need Enzo, frankly.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 3

Just came in here to see if there were any new spoilers because I happened to stumble upon some speculation about Enzo possibly being a third Salvatore brother and NO...JUST NO. I am already barely struggling to make it through this season. That will be the thing that effectively does it for me. And great more reason for him to whine and go on about some delusional vendetta against Stefan. 

LOL this Supernatural realness.  And how?  Isn't Enzo younger than the Salvatores?  And British?

• Love 1

I have been thinking about this Enzo as the third Salvatore business. Don't get me wrong, I hate it and Enzo in general, but there may actually be some merit to it. Uncle Zach had to come from somewhere. We don't know if Giuseppe had another child from an illicit relationship or if he had a brother from whom Zach was descended.

Enzo could be some kind of distant relation. Is it too much of a coincidence that long dead Uncle Zach is being brought up now? And that mama Salvatore has suddenly appeared?

(I have always found Enzo and his back story rather jarring. With that name, there is no way he would have being fighting for the British in WWII. We interred everyone who sounded a bit Germany or Italian at the beginning of the war in case they were spies. Also he doesn't have a British accent as there really isn't such a thing. He speaks with an English RP accent as that's what Michael was taught at drama school!)

(edited)

I think she is, not convinced but I've seen signs in the story that suggest Elena will turn human and leave Mystic Falls by the end of S6.

I definitely think she'll be human again by the end of the season, less certain about the leaving part.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I think she is, not convinced but I've seen signs in the story that suggest Elena will turn human and leave Mystic Falls by the end of S6.

I definitely think she'll be human again by the end of the season, less certain about the leaving part.

What Instagram tags?  If Nina leaves, the story ends.

(edited)

What Instagram tags? If Nina leaves, the story ends.

One Tree Hill went on after both Lucas and Peyton left the show. Charmed continued after Pru left, etc etc.

This isn't Buffy, Angel or any other show focused on a single character's journey with a supporting cast. The Vampire Diaries is an ensemble show with Ian, Nina and Paul as the main leads. You could lose one and still go on.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/04/the-vampire-diaries-is-nina-dobrev.html?m=1

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I'm sad to see this news simply because I really like Nina and I don't dislike Elena as much as most people.

At the same time, I feel like her story is over. The doppelganger arc is played out, which was the center of her story. The writers don't seem to know what to do with her character now that it's over.

I am excited that they plan on focusing more on the Salvatore brothers, as that always been my favorite relationship on the show. 

• Love 2

Bye, Bye Elena.

Body swap?  Whole new character?  Much brooding for Damon, I suspect.  Or will he and Bonnie get together (over pancakes)?

I sort of wonder why she's leaving- it is not like she has another show and/or movie coming up.

• Love 1

There were a lot of rumors that she was leaving because she didn't want to work with Ian anymore. I really hope that's not it. I sort of feel like if you're going to go there with your castmate, then you have to be willing to suck it up when it doesn't work out, which it probably won't.

• Love 2

I sort of wonder why she's leaving- it is not like she has another show and/or movie coming up.

she's 26 years old and a CW actress on an aging show. If she wants to get into movies she needs to strike out before it's too late.

Hopefully she can make it in the movies or on a major network but it won't be easy.

• Love 4

I'm sad to see this news simply because I really like Nina and I don't dislike Elena as much as most people.

At the same time, I feel like her story is over. The doppelganger arc is played out, which was the center of her story. The writers don't seem to know what to do with her character now that it's over.

I am excited that they plan on focusing more on the Salvatore brothers, as that always been my favorite relationship on the show. 

I noticed that and it was really weird.  Even if it's an ensemble show, and I've read convincing arguments that The Vampire Diaries is more Stefan's story than anyone else's, it doesn't make sense to have your core, core, character have really nothing to do.  But yeah, she's been in stasis for a while now.  I wonder how they're going to exit her?  And I wonder how much ratings will fall because of this?

Gee, I really wonder who takes the cure now. I just hope she doesn`t somehow get her memories compelled away and start as a blank slate.

Also, that leaves them open for a Dawson`s Creek thing at the end. I mean, I`m sure Nina could be compelled, pardon the pun, to return for the very final episode and then they could show her with...drumroll...brother of choice. Without any of that pesky writing to get them there. Meanwhile in year 7 both Steroline and Bamon can be explored romantically.

• Love 1

In my ideal make believe world TVD does a shorten season ending with Bonnie and Caroline heading to New Orleans due to "witchy matters". A freak monsoon gets rid of Cami and Haley.... and BOOM I like every cast member on The Originals!

• Love 4
(edited)

Except, does anyone actually stay dead anymore on this show? Well I guess other than the parents (RIP Liz). I'm kind of ambivalent about this news. I've never really been a huge fan of Elena's, even before she got really annoying. That said, I've also at this point just gotten used to her presence so I imagine it'll be a little weird seeing her gone.

And I'm not sure how I feel about a possible Damon/Bonnie pairing that's likely to come from this with both Elena and Jeremy gone. Ian and Kat have amazing chemistry but based on the characters' history, I just can't really get behind that pairing. Of course that didn't stop Damon and Elena from happening either so whatever. Personally I'm more disappointed that I've heard nothing about Enzo leaving. That's the real tragedy here. 

I would also like to think Nina's decision is largely due to professional reasons, as in after six years she wants to do something else and not the drama of working with her ex. But sadly many are going to think that's what it is, especially with Ian now also engaged (and from my understanding to someone who was an acquaintance or at least she and Ian hung out a few times with Nikki and her then husband) and the fact there were rumors floating around for months that she would leave because she was finding it hard to keep working on the show with him.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I hope Elena isn't killed off because otherwise her story for the entire series becomes unbearably tragic. The entire Gilbert family line wiped out and the people that did this to her get off scott free.

• Love 2

Personally I'm more disappointed that I've heard nothing about Enzo leaving. That's the real tragedy here. 

Haha yes!

There were a lot of rumors that she was leaving because she didn't want to work with Ian anymore. I really hope that's not it. I sort of feel like if you're going to go there with your castmate, then you have to be willing to suck it up when it doesn't work out, which it probably won't.

Aw c'mon she's put up with it for 2 years! It must have gotten really difficult in the past year what with her ex being engaged to her friend. 

• Love 3

Maybe they keep Elena without Nina? Similar to how The Originals kept Rebeckha without Claire Holt. Bonnie will cast a spell and she'll body jump.  Or what Katherine did when she jumped into Elena's body.Paul's comments awhile ago on season 7 being interesting because of a different cast, he wasn't kidding. He kind of gave it away without giving it away.

According to the Deadline article, Nina didn't even want to negotiate or think of a new deal. She was set on not re-signing, so I do believe her breakup played a part in it. Had they not broken up, I don't think she'd have been so set on leaving to not even consider hearing them out or renegotiating for just 1 more season. 

Maybe the writers could have accommodated the break-up more, but on the other hand they brought their personal life to work.

• Love 3

I sort of feel like if you're going to go there with your castmate, then you have to be willing to suck it up when it doesn't work out, which it probably won't.

Eh, her contract is over, she DID suck it up and keep working with him for this last year, but she owes it to no one to stay in an awkward working environment with an ex on show that has not served your character well for two years and change. She made a great decision not only for herself but one that should benefit whatever life this show has left in it.

• Love 4

I thought they all had 7 year contracts?

They all had six year contracts, at least the three leads did. 

I wish Nina all the very best for her future endeavors. Whatever issues I had with Elena as a character aside, Nina did one hell of a job with the ones she had to play. I'm glad we got to see her play them.

• Love 2