Type keyword(s) to search

Beyond 90210: Cast members in the media and other roles

• Start Topic

I saw a snippet of Shannen Doherty responding to a reporter who asked about Luke’s stroke. She said she didn’t want to talk about it too much because she would start crying, but that she’s in touch with him and to please keep him in your prayers. She also said something about “He’s my Dylan”. So sweet. I hope he makes a full recovery. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I know we give him all kinds of crap for this show, but he was such a big part of things and it wouldn't have ever taken off without him.  And that isn't to denigrate any of the other cast members, only to note that there was a reason his character was added after the pilot.  Very sad. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 12

Emma Caulfield (Susan) said this on Twitter: 

"My first day on 90210 Luke brought me under his wings & made me feel welcome. His first words to me were “so how are the bitches treating you ?” It made me laugh & I felt like I had an ally in my corner. You set a tone and made sure I could thrive. It was my first real gig and your kindness was rarely matched. God bless you Luke. You’re with the rest of the angels. #RIPLukePerry you will be missed."

• Love 14
(edited)

OMG, y’all! I just finished today’s “Again With This” and saw the TMZ story posted on FB. Shocked and saddened.

Now sniffling quietly in the break room at work.

Edited by MCMLXXVII

Yea I’m really sad to hear about this . He was so young and even though things like this can happen at any age , it just makes you feel like it’s the end of an era . 

• Love 3

Man, that makes me sad. I watched this show so much as a little kid.

I wonder if this means the revival is on hold? I can't really see how they can do the show as they planned (the light comedic semi-candid reality show tone) with the background knowledge that Luke Perry died? (I feel bitchy for even thinking about this, but I doubt I'm the only one.)

• Love 5
1 minute ago, methodwriter85 said:

Man, that makes me sad. I watched this show so much as a little kid.

I wonder if this means the revival is on hold? I can't really see how they can do the show as they planned (the light comedic semi-candid reality show tone) with the background knowledge that Luke Perry died? (I feel bitchy for even thinking about this, but I doubt I'm the only one.)

Well he didn’t sign onto the revival anyway . But the show isn’t coming out for a few months so I’m sure they’ll still do it as they were going to . Such sad news . 

I presume the show is still a go, if only because Perry was not really going to be a part of it (or might have had a very limited presence) due to his commitment to Riverdale. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I 100% thought he was going to make a recovery. 52 is far too young; this one really hurts.

I know! These men dying young from strokes. My cousin had a very bad stroke last year, 58, he is still with us (thank goodness) but he will never recover 100% (the left side will not be mobile again). I’m so glad he’s still here. 

I loved him in Jeremiah with Malcolm Jamal Warner (Showtime).

RIP Luke. 

• Love 3

I will join the chorus of being more sad than anticipated.  I watched the show from day one and was always Team Dylan.  Damn the revivals, Dylan and Brenda lived happily ever after in London.

”So you’re into videoTAPE?” is one of my favorite line readings of all time.

• Love 11

I wonder if Jennie Garth will say something. Weren't she and Luke particularly close, even in recent years? I remember seeing her in some morning show interview more recently where they prank called him for her and she was saying he was her best friend.

• Love 8

I have for years enjoyed watching and then reading & participating in snark about Beverly Hills 90210. So, I’m sad about the passing of Luke Perry. His dying at 52, especially of a stroke, hits close to mortality reality.

• Love 7
(edited)

I saw statements from Christine Elise (Emily Valentine), Emma Caulfield (Susan) and Kathleen Robertson (Claire, posted above), all who said he was really welcoming to them when they joined the show. I think that says a lot about him that as a huge star of a huge show, he was so kind to the new cast members. 

I didn’t cry until I saw Ian Zeiring’s post, where he started it “Dearest Luke”. 😢 

I think this is hitting people of a certain age (like me) pretty hard and more than expected.

Edited by desertflower
  • Love 9

I'd like to think that Luke is actually in the witness protection program with Jack McKay.  I mean, did any of us actually see Luke die.....

But in all seriousness, it feels like a little part of my childhood just died with his death.  Really young and really unfortunate.  Just sucks.  Won't be the same if i ever watch a re-run again.

• Love 17

It’s just so sad. It always seemed like Luke was in on the joke that was 90210. Like he had a great perspective on it that was healthy and self-deprecating. And I really liked him In Riverdale. He seemed like a truly decent person. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

"My first day on 90210 Luke brought me under his wings & made me feel welcome. His first words to me were “so how are the bitches treating you ?” It made me laugh & I felt like I had an ally in my corner. You set a tone and made sure I could thrive. It was my first real gig and your kindness was rarely matched. God bless you Luke. You’re with the rest of the angels. #RIPLukePerry you will be missed."

And this confirms some of the rumors about the other female costars and their cattiness...and this was post-SD, so you know...

Jennie gave a statement to People:  https://people.com/tv/stars-mourn-luke-perry-death/

• Love 3

I’ve been waiting for this sadly since they announced he had a major stroke. 

One of my friends (also was my dog’s vet) passed away suddenly from an aneurysm/major stroke several years ago. She was 49. It shook me violently. My heart dropped when I read the news about Luke five days ago.

• Love 1

And this confirms some of the rumors about the other female costars and their cattiness...and this was post-SD, so you know...

The character first appeared during Season 4.  SD was still on the show.  

(edited)
5 hours ago, desertflower said:

I didn’t cry until I saw Ian Zeiring’s post, where he started it “Dearest Luke”. 😢 

I think this is hitting people of a certain age (like me) pretty hard and more than expected.

I started bawling when I read Ian's post. He was the first cast member, I think, to post about Luke's death.

It's affecting me for the same reason. I watched the show in high school. It allowed me an escape away from the bullshit of high school. Luke was only ten years older than me. I've had a couple of brushes with death, but he was so young.

I also enjoyed his portrayal of the Reverend Cloutier on Oz, and as Pike in Buffy.

Over the weekend, I was watching some episodes on my laptop. The Dylan and his father storylines always struck a chord.

Also, I believe in the first (or second) season when we're first introduced to Iris, I believe Iris talked about how she had his palm read, and the news was that he wasn't going to live a long life. Today's news made me think of that scene.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 6

I'm very sad.  

Here's my random Luke Perry memory. He made several appearances on Arsenio Hall's show in the early 1990s, promoting 90210 or one of his movies. Of course,, there were always a lot of screams from the female members of the audience. But on one occasion, there was a lone male voice screaming with them, just as excited. Arsenio jumped on that to get a laugh. He said something like, "Hey, that was a dude!"

For most of Luke's interview, he was maintaining that aloof, too-cool-for-school public persona his fans associated with him in the era, very much like Dylan. But when Arsenio started to tease this male fan (it was a kind of humor that today we would more readily label homophobic), he said, "Leave that guy alone." It's something that always stayed in my mind about him. I think it showed how forward-thinking and essentially sweet he was.  He knew he was a heartthrob for all kinds of people.  

• Love 23