Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E11: A Toast to Love

(edited)

I'm in the same boat as the Duggars. Pen/pin, been/bin/Ben all sound the same to me. My friend Penny is from up north and she would tease me so much at first because of how I said her name. I don't understand the difference!

Michelle seems to be absolutely in love with Ben. She keeps going on and on about how sweet he is. It's strange to me. He's just a corny kid who is focused on how hot Jessa is but clearly he is the bees knees to Michelle. Looking back on it, I almost feel icky thinking about how quickly she jumped between them in that tiny truck!

Derrick's mom is so not here for the dog and pony show. You can tell that she thinks the group chat thing is so ridiculous. And she couldn't push her way through those howlers fast enough to get to her husband! I like her.

It's hard to judge Beneasa and Dill based on what we see, but I think that they're both going to encounter their share of problems. Derrick seems to have gotten an excited teenybopper in Jill and I think that it'll be interesting to see them when their cutesy crush wears off. Ben and Jessa, on the other hand, look like they're trying very hard not to climb on top of each other during the TH's. When they get over how pretty the other person is, I don't even know what they'll talk about.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 1

I liked this episode, for the Jill-Derrick stuff, finally seeing at least some affection between Benessa, and the little girls' plans to kidnap their sister-moms. Loved the side hugged. (I actually Loled in the preview for Tuesday's episode where JBoob was like "I see you're holding hands" or whatever, like it was some terrible thing).

I had to laugh because I don't think Ben knows anyone's names.

Jill's excitement over Derrick's arrival = too cute. I loved it. I'm also loving the littlest of the girls. There's been more Jordyn-Jenny airtime and I'm glad for it.

Duggar Dinner Theater (I think that was this episode?) was cute until I remembered that most of these kids are old and not really kids. But for the little ones, it was nice.

• Love 1

ITA on the dinner theater being slightly creepy.  The poem was...what I would expect from an eight year old, not a young man.  He rhymed. WOOT! I guess that makes him the poet laureate of Tontitown. And, the littlest kids singing Jesus Loves Me was cute, but I have seen Kindergarten kids sing with more spirit and togetherness.  Calling Amy in to coordinate was a blatant reminder that she's a singer with an up-coming show. 

I don't understand why everything has to revolve around a parable or Biblical verse.  I was thinking a remake of the Sound of Music would have been awesome!  Is that too racy because of the 16 year old kissing a boy?  

Totally agree.  Derick has his own mind and isn't scared of Jim Bob.  Her gave that hug and then said he enjoyed it.  A little F U moment for them! Derick has a little spunky thing going on!

Oh yeah. I think Michelle's snooty little passive aggressive dig about hearing "much more than she needed to" about Derick, has to do with the Duggars being slightly intimidated by Derick. He represents all that they have denied their children, and contradicts their reasons for keeping their kids isolated from the "real world." Here's a nice, polite, Christian young man who went to public school (GASP!) and a state University where he got a real degree (Double GASP!) and a JOB not provided to him by his future father-in-law. His mom wears pants. He participated in sports at school. He danced around with the cheerleaders on the sidelines of Oklahoma State football games (so much NIKE, y'all) while being Pistol Pete, the OSU mascot for two years (like his father also was). Derick is independent. He did all the things that "normal" kids do in their upbringing, yet still turned out to have similar values to the Duggars.  Which means he's a contradiction to the justification that Boob and Mullet give for not educating their children outside the home, or letting them participate in sports or activities with "outsiders," or have an independent thought. He didn't get sent to any brainwashing camps like poor Jana, yet still turned out okay. 

Jim Boob's attitude in Nepal was revealing. He let Derick and Jill have SOME sense of privacy by hanging back and letting them get to know each other. As opposed to Michelle who plopped her ass IN BETWEEN Jessa and Bin in the truck, as if something sinful was going to happen if they touched knees. Derick is a catch, but I think he also scares them a bit. I think they know that Derick won't be as easily manipulated as Bin or Anna is into going along with the Duggar program. 

Keep that attitude, Derick. Please. For Jill's sake!

• Love 2

My favorite line of the episode was said by Michelle during the dinner theatre: "Are these my children?" Yes, lady, they're your children. Maybe if you were an active, involved parent who didn't rely on her older children as substitute mothers you'd be able to recognize your children.

• Love 5

Jim Boob's attitude in Nepal was revealing. He let Derick and Jill have SOME sense of privacy by hanging back and letting them get to know each other.

You know, you make an interesting point here.  I read an article on...some...website that I can no longer find now recently about husbands who felt pressure by their wives to be a part of the patriarchy movement.  They weren't comfortable with the gender role assignment, but, it was as if their wives were the ones who were sold on it.

Some of what's been said about Jim Bob makes me wonder if a bunch of this is just Michelle or stemming from her own anxiety about her growing up years.  I'm not saying all of it is her, but could she be the driving force behind it?

Derrick seems to have gotten an excited teenybopper in Jill and I think that it'll be interesting to see them when their cutesy crush wears off.

I wonder about this, too. Soon enough, they'll be in their own home and they'll have to do with real issues. Derrick probably has a better idea of how to cope with an argument with a wife, but I don't think Jill has seen the best example of that from her parents or even Josh/Anna. I'm sure they'll be fine, but it will definitely be a huge learning experience for Jill.

Ben seems really in love with the fact that Jessa will be what he considers to be a hot housewife.

I'm in the same boat as the Duggars. Pen/pin, been/bin/Ben all sound the same to me. My friend Penny is from up north and she would tease me so much at first because of how I said her name. I don't understand the difference!

Michelle seems to be absolutely in love with Ben. She keeps going on and on about how sweet he is. It's strange to me. He's just a corny kid who is focused on how hot Jessa is but clearly he is the bees knees to Michelle. Looking back on it, I almost feel icky thinking about how quickly she jumped between them in that tiny truck!

Derrick's mom is so not here for the dog and pony show. You can tell that she thinks the group chat thing is so ridiculous. And she couldn't push her way through those howlers fast enough to get to her husband! I like her.

It's hard to judge Beneasa and Dill based on what we see, but I think that they're both going to encounter their share of problems. Derrick seems to have gotten an excited teenybopper in Jill and I think that it'll be interesting to see them when their cutesy crush wears off. Ben and Jessa, on the other hand, look like they're trying very hard not to climb on top of each other during the TH's. When they get over how pretty the other person is, I don't even know what they'll talk about.

I agree!!! I wonder if it is really love or some heavy duty crush between the both of them. Once the thrill wears off, the bills start coming in, the child(ren) come along, and the dreaded Duggar in-laws continue coming around and JimBob expects them to be a part of the dog and pony show, it will be interesting to see how their marriage survives.

I am glad I am not the only one who thinks Mullet has the secret hots for Binny boy. Run Binny run!!!  *lol*

First timer here weighing in on pronunciation. I'm from the Chicago area and took my best friend Jenny to visit my mom's family in Northern Arkansas. It went like this.

Me: This is my friend Jenny.

Aunt: hello Ginny

Me: No it's Jenny, like Jeeeeennifer.

Aunt: Giiiiiiiinnifer.

Me: Never mind.

The actress Ginnifer Goodwin changed the spelling of her name from Jennifer. She's from Tennessee, and says northerners pronounced her name wrong.

• Love 2

I was super surprised to see Joy-Anna give a big, tight frontal hug to Cousin Amy when she stopped by the house to give the kids singing lessons.

Was that a first FULL FRONTAL HUG for this family?

New drinking game aftter catching up with this episode:

Take a shot each time Bin says how much he loves Jessa, how much he wants to be with her, how good she looks, draws a heart in the air with his knife, as so on...

I'm team Jill/Derrick. 

I wondering if Bin is just a good looking version of Boob in high school years, thus J'Chelle appearing to prefer him over Derrick.