Type keyword(s) to search

Off-Season Olympics Coverage

xaxat
  • Start Topic

On 12/17/2017 at 5:52 PM, ketchuplover said:

I predict not only will the poster remain it will double in size and be a big focus by the media.  

It's totally going to be on t-shirts (available for sale).

4 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Dutch news is reporting that Sion has expressed interest in doing the speed skating events in the Netherlands for the 2026 bid. 

It would certainly be interesting to see the logistics of having speed skating in an entirely different country and part of Europe from the rest of the games.  It would also be a win-win situation for the Netherlands -- home-ice advantage for their national sport without the pressure of having to actually host a full Winter Olympics (which would be impossible anyway due to the lack of mountains there!).

• Love 1

Austrian police raid on International Biathlon Union headquarters:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sport-biathlon-raid/biathlon-austrian-police-raid-international-biathlon-union-headquarters-ibu-idUSKBN1HI2UX

Rumor mill is saying that, just like in track an field, the Russian sporting officials reportedly paid the federation to misplace positive drug tests from Russian athletes. If this verifies, it rather makes a joke of the whole 'Olympic athlete from Russia' allowance in South Korea and the subsequent lifting of the Russia ban. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, selkie said:

Austrian police raid on International Biathlon Union headquarters:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sport-biathlon-raid/biathlon-austrian-police-raid-international-biathlon-union-headquarters-ibu-idUSKBN1HI2UX

Rumor mill is saying that, just like in track an field, the Russian sporting officials reportedly paid the federation to misplace positive drug tests from Russian athletes. If this verifies, it rather makes a joke of the whole 'Olympic athlete from Russia' allowance in South Korea and the subsequent lifting of the Russia ban. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5296225

• Love 3

USA Wrestling is trying to make all journalists covering the sport undergo background checks and a training program with the same protocols as coaches, volunteers, referees, and medical personnel who work with USA Wrestling.  The AP Sports Editors organization is saying, no way, and is calling for a journalists' boycott of USA Wrestling.

https://deadspin.com/usa-wrestling-will-require-media-to-submit-to-vague-bac-1825326345?

Christine Girard has been formally upgraded to the 2012 weightlifting gold, after the stripping of the medals from the Russian and Kazakh weightlifters who initially placed in front of her.  So Canada no longer won only one gold medal in London.

Bulgarian and Mexican weightlifters are upgrades from 4-5 place to silver and bronze.

• Love 4

Anne Donovan, women's basketball player and coach, who played in 3 Olympic games and coached the US women to gold in Beijing, has died of heart failure at the young age of 56.  She also coached at Old Dominion and in the WNBA.  A legend gone much too soon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/06/14/death-of-anne-donovan-legendary-womens-basketball-star-and-coach-stuns-sports-world/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0d70a4feefd3

• Love 2

I think I may have officially seen the weirdest sport ever.  I have been watching the World Equestrian Games (on NBCSN & maybe the Olympic Channel) and up until now it has been Olympic events like cross country and dressage. Tonight I stumbled on an event called vaulting.  I thought I would see horses jumping over things.  Nope - picture synchronized swimming crossed with rhythmic gymnastics minus water plus a big horse going around in circles.  I have never seen anything like it.  If you can find it On Demand or online you will be stunned by what you see.

• Love 3

Calgary voters tell city to take its Olympic bid and stick it where the sun never rises.

Turns out after Calgary city officials rescued the city’s 2026 Olympics bid from the brink of death with a last-minute renegotiation with the Canadian federal government, city residents voted to send it right back to the grave yesterday, delivering a 56-44% verdict that the city should not offer to host the Games.

With just seven months to go before the International Olympic Committee makes its decision on a 2026 host, this leaves only Stockholm and a joint bid by the Italian cities of Milan and Cortina in the running. And Stockholm’s new city government has declared itself opposed to using any public funding to build Olympic facilities or cover cost overruns, while the Italian national government has said it won’t contribute “one euro” to Milan-Cortina costs.

While I usually roll my eyes at NBC Sports' attempts to turn women's alpine skiing into the Lindsey and Mikaela show, I've got to admit I teared up a couple times over Lindsey's farewell in the downhill at the World Championships. They did a good job of showing not just how good she was for so long but how much she genuinely loved her sport and getting up and going to work every days despite the injuries, and it was cute how she was all fangirl over Ingemar Stenmark, who usually avoids the spotlights these days, coming out to see her. 

• Love 3

A CAS ruling has effectively established that there is a biological definition of female for the purposes of elite athletic competition

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2019/05/01/olympics-7-questions-caster-semenyas-appeal-loss-iaafs-rules/3637922002/

There was no easy way of deciding this, and there's a fair amount fo sympathy for Caster, who has  put up with a lot of crud and innuendo with class and good sportsmanship over the past decade, even from people who feel like she shouldn't be allowed to compete as an elite woman at her natural testosterone level. 

11 minutes ago, selkie said:

A CAS ruling has effectively established that there is a biological definition of female for the purposes of elite athletic competition

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2019/05/01/olympics-7-questions-caster-semenyas-appeal-loss-iaafs-rules/3637922002/

There was no easy way of deciding this, and there's a fair amount fo sympathy for Caster, who has  put up with a lot of crud and innuendo with class and good sportsmanship over the past decade, even from people who feel like she shouldn't be allowed to compete as an elite woman at her natural testosterone level. 

It is a difficult situation, but I think it has to be a case of the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few.  It simply isn't a fair contest when a few of the female athletes have a significantly higher testosterone level in sports where that makes a big difference.  I'm not sure what other solution would be fair.

• Love 3

I think this ruling is shameful. Athletes have all types of physical advantages that they were born with. This doesn’t seem different to me. It’s disgusting to tell her that she isn’t women enough because of her naturally occurring hormones. Now athlete’s bodies are being policed for being in their natural state? Such a sad precedent to set. She has been mistreated her entire career. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I'm not sure how we missed the announcement, but Italy is getting the 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics after all. It's going to be a joint effort between Milano, which has never hosted before, and Cortina d'Ampezzo, which hosted the 1956 Games. https://www.npr.org/2019/06/24/735588855/italy-will-host-the-2026-olympic-and-paralympic-winter-games

Wow, they made the decision way back in June? Last I heard they were still debating between Italy and Sweden. I would have been happy either way. But it'll be great to see them back in Italy. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Wow, they made the decision way back in June? Last I heard they were still debating between Italy and Sweden. I would have been happy either way. But it'll be great to see them back in Italy. 

And here's the interesting bit. It gives Europe the Games back-to-back (Summer 2024 in Paris and Winter 2026 in Milano and Cortina), with Los Angeles taking the 2028 Summer Games to bring it back to the States and to North America. And I happen to know that Salt Lake City has expressed an interest in hosting the Winter Games again in 2030 (it would have agreed to do 2026 if nobody else had wanted to do it, but 2030 is the preferred year because it would give them more time to prepare). So after three Asian Olympics and two European ones, we might see back-to-back American ones.  NBC, of course, would consider that the equivalent of a wet dream!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

And here's the interesting bit. It gives Europe the Games back-to-back (Summer 2024 in Paris and Winter 2026 in Milano and Cortina), with Los Angeles taking the 2028 Summer Games to bring it back to the States and to North America. And I happen to know that Salt Lake City has expressed an interest in hosting the Winter Games again in 2030 (it would have agreed to do 2026 if nobody else had wanted to do it, but 2030 is the preferred year because it would give them more time to prepare). So after three Asian Olympics and two European ones, we might see back-to-back American ones.  NBC, of course, would consider that the equivalent of a wet dream!

NBA would be in Heaven on that one. I was curious on how the Winter Games bid would go considering the ones for Paris and Los Angeles ended up with IOC giving both cities the games after the other three withdrew and having them decide who would go first. I wondered if they were going to end up doing the same thing with Italy and Sweden. It would be great to see back to back American ones after back to back Europe and Asia.   

• Love 1

The US had a very, very good track meet at the Worlds in Doha. (They never should've been there, but we'll save corruption for another day). Topping the list, the US men reclaiming the 4 x 100 relay. Barring injury or doping, Tokyo looks bright.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

(They never should've been there, but we'll save corruption for another day).

I'm not saving it. I can not believe that the marathon was started at 11:59pm because it's too hot during the day and it was still so hot at midnight that many athletes didn't finish due to dehydration and the heat. Why even go there if you can't safeguard the health of your competitors or make them compete in the middle of the night because it's less hot.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

The US had a very, very good track meet at the Worlds in Doha. (They never should've been there, but we'll save corruption for another day). Topping the list, the US men reclaiming the 4 x 100 relay. Barring injury or doping, Tokyo looks bright.

Because I'm a very cynical American track fan, I hold that the biggest upset of the meet was that the American men's 4x100 managed three clean and fast exchanges in the event final. 

It was a highly entertaining WCs and I'm excited to see so many great performers here and hope they do even better in Tokyo. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

And followed by a women's marathon world record that will officially 'count' pending ratification.

https://www.letsrun.com/news/2019/10/brigid-kosgei-runs-21404-shatters-womens-marathon-world-record-at-2019-chicago-marathon/

For over 16 years, Paula Radcliffe’s 2:15:25 world record, set at the 2003 London Marathon, had stood as one of the most unbreakable records in the sport of running. Radcliffe wasn’t just the only woman to break 2:16; she was the only woman to break 2:17.

Until today.  On a cool, crisp, slightly breezy day on the streets of Chicago (41 degrees Fahrenheit), Kosgei took a hammer to Radcliffe’s mark by running 2:14:04 to smash the world record. On the strength of major marathon victories in Chicago last year and London earlier this year, Kosgei entered Sunday’s race as the planet’s top female marathoner. She finished it as the fastest woman to ever run the distance, and one of the sport’s all-time legends.

• Love 2
On 10/6/2019 at 9:36 PM, selkie said:

Because I'm a very cynical American track fan, I hold that the biggest upset of the meet was that the American men's 4x100 managed three clean and fast exchanges in the event final.

That is hilarious! I still remember when the team dropped the baton during qualifiers in the Seoul Olympics. 

• LOL 1

The New York Times is doing a fantastic series featuring women speaking about the barriers they face in sports (focused on Olympic events.) The latest is about distance runner Mary Cain. 

Mary Cain’s male coaches were convinced she had to get “thinner, and thinner, and thinner.” Then her body started breaking down.

Another is by Allyson Felix (who I think is one of the most underappreciated athletes in recent memory.)

I’ve been one of Nike’s most widely marketed athletes. If I can’t secure maternity protections, who can?

The common thread? Nike.

• Love 4

Happy 40th anniversary to the Miracle on Ice!

We visited the Olympics Museum in Lake Placid three years ago and I was amazed how small the rink seemed for something so momentous.

They have a TV there playing the game on a loop and we happened to be there for the end, and I still got chills.  I’m getting chills just typing this!  I was only 6 when the game happened, but with it being against the Soviets and the games in Lake Placid, a big deal was made here so I can vaguely recall hearing about it once it hit the TV news and newspapers.

If you ever have the chance to get to Lake Placid, you should.  It’s amazing.

Al Michaels was on Golic & Wingo yesterday and made me laugh when he said 99% of the people were rooting for the Americans and the other 1% were probably KGB agents and no one cared about them anyways.  Crazy that he’s still going strong as a broadcaster 40 years later.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

OLYMPIC CHAMPION SUN YANG HANDED 8-YEAR BAN OVER VIAL-SMASHING INCIDENT

https://swimswam.com/olympic-champion-sun-yang-handed-8-year-ban-over-vial-smashing-incident/

In this case, it's not about whether or not there was any evidence of doping in the sample; it's the cover up and the need for anti-doping officials to be able to perform their jobs without being threatened. If Sun's group had made an official complaint to FINA about irregularities in testing protocol instead of creating a biohazard situation, then FINA, which has long sheltered Sun from any sort of consequences for repeated bad behavior as much as they were legally able to do so, would have likely quickly ordered any results of the test be thrown out. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, selkie said:

OLYMPIC CHAMPION SUN YANG HANDED 8-YEAR BAN OVER VIAL-SMASHING INCIDENT

https://swimswam.com/olympic-champion-sun-yang-handed-8-year-ban-over-vial-smashing-incident/

In this case, it's not about whether or not there was any evidence of doping in the sample; it's the cover up and the need for anti-doping officials to be able to perform their jobs without being threatened. If Sun's group had made an official complaint to FINA about irregularities in testing protocol instead of creating a biohazard situation, then FINA, which has long sheltered Sun from any sort of consequences for repeated bad behavior as much as they were legally able to do so, would have likely quickly ordered any results of the test be thrown out. 

Good, that motherfucker has been a doper, an unsportsmanlike asshole, and a blight on the sport his entire career.

• Love 9

I think that it is a bit early to decide anything. It's still about five months away. Could they move it to fall if they had too? Of course then Japan maybe to cold for outdoor events.

(edited)
On 3/1/2020 at 11:42 PM, blueray said:

I think that it is a bit early to decide anything. It's still about five months away. Could they move it to fall if they had too? Of course then Japan maybe to cold for outdoor events.

Actually the reverse, it would have been better to hold it in the fall, it's extremely hot in Japan in the summer and the only reason it was initially scheduled the way it was was because of NBC.  The 1964 Tokyo Olympics were held in October, for comparison.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 2

Maybe they will have to move the games to the fall for safety, but If they have to, I don't see how the US basketball team could compete.  Or most of the (worldwide) tennis players.  You'd think Olympic Tennis wouldn't be considered important by the players due to its relatively short history but most of them seem to take it very seriously.