Type keyword(s) to search

Off-Season Olympics Coverage

xaxat
  • Start Topic

On 7/31/2017 at 11:17 AM, Silver Raven said:

Damn.  I may be too old to go by then.  Good thing I got to see 1984.

I'll be just 67 in 2028, and I only live about 75 minutes away from Los Angeles by plane.  I loved it when the 2002 Winter Games took place in Salt Lake City, where I was living and working at the time, and Los Angeles is one of my favorite US cities to vacation in.  It will be fun comparing Ground Zero in Los Angeles to Ground Zero in Salt Lake City.

And congratulations to Paris for getting 2024.  Even if Emmanuel Macron is no longer President by then, I hope he'll somehow be part of either the opening or the closing ceremony.

Edited by legaleagle53

What was up with all of the booing?

Coleman was awesome.  Gatlin can now (finally?) retire.  Bolt will forever be one of the greatest - if not THE greatest - sprinters ever.  Wish his sponsors had agreed that Rio was the perfect time for him to bow out. 

• Love 2

Gatlin's two doping offenses, and then he appealed the second one to get his ban reduced from 8 years to 4 years. While track & field has a good number of dopers that go uncaught, Gatlin's kind of the poster boy for cheating in the sport and even a lot of American track fans hate him too. 

• Love 5

So I've been enjoying these World Championships, even though it's been a case of 'So close... And you're fourth!" For British athletes. But one highlight has been Tony Minichiello on commentary. He was Jess Ennis-Hill's coach, and he brings so, so much to the commentary. Talking about the technical aspects of different events, pointing out what people have done well, done poorly, how they can correct and improve.

In just fifteen minutes of watching the Women's High Jump final, I understand the event better than I ever have before. I know why people are making jumps or missing them, and what they each need to do to fix their errors. Why can't all commentary be like this?

• Love 1
On 8/6/2017 at 1:03 AM, SophiaD said:

Bolt will forever be one of the greatest - if not THE greatest - sprinters ever.  Wish his sponsors had agreed that Rio was the perfect time for him to bow out. 

Me too.  It was sad to watch him pull up in his final race, lying down in the dirt.  I wish his sponsors had just let him retire in 2016.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Me too.  It was sad to watch him pull up in his final race, lying down in the dirt.  I wish his sponsors had just let him retire in 2016.

After watching the I Am Bolt documentary, I felt fairly sure he'd struggle at these championships. It looks like he was on the verge of pulling out of Rio 2016, unable to find motivation to really push himself... until Gatlin mouthed off on US TV about how he was going to win the 100m. Bolt has had a long, tough career and this was just one championships too far. 

Seeing Bolt go out like this has been depressing, but it was instantly eclipsed by watching the BBC's little montage of all the great moments of his career. He's been a transcendent star, and everything he did was so great to watch, from breaking world records to casually fist bumping volunteer staff during warm ups.

• Love 5

She hasn't been a GOAT or paradigm-shifter like Usain Bolt has, but I feel obliged to note:

Allyson Felix World Championship medal count: 10 gold, 3 silver, 2 bronze

Usain Bolt World Championship medal count: 11 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze

Felix has said she's planning on running through Tokyo, at which time she'll be 34. Given the strength of the US relays, seems like she has decent odds to match Bolt in overall golds to go along with most overall medals in 2019. 

Any yay for Emma and Courtney in the steeplechase. Emma's made a fine career of being slightly underestimated- her big breakthrough was at Shanghai diamond League in 2014 when the other runners let her open up a gap because they thought she was the second rabbit. Last year, there was a little bit of a vibe that she should enjoy her Olympic medal because so many other steeple runners seemed to be on the verge of a big breakthrough and the event was going to get much tougher. And she got tough along with as well as demonstrating that yes, technique matters because she so won it in the last 150 meters on the jumps- compare how she clears the barriers to how Hyvin Kiyeng does. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I simply cannot imagine the IOC having the guts to keep Russia out of the Winter Olympics unless they were provided pictures of Putin injecting athletes with steroids.  

Sadly, I think you're right.  I mean, Russia should've been completely banned from Rio, yet Bach wouldn't do it because he's a spineless asshole who's been bought by Putin.

• Love 1
On 11/16/2017 at 4:57 PM, Mittengirl said:

I simply cannot imagine the IOC having the guts to keep Russia out of the Winter Olympics unless they were provided pictures of Putin injecting athletes with steroids.

Not Putin, but the doctor who actually did the injections had a very detailed diary.

Olympic Doping Diaries: Chemist’s Notes Bolster Case Against Russia

Olympic officials will announce their decision on Dec. 5. If they do not bar Russia completely from the coming Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, they are likely to keep all Russian emblems out of the Games: The Russian flag would not fly at the opening and closing ceremonies, Russian athletes would compete in neutral uniforms and the Russian anthem would not be played. Such restrictions, Russian officials have said, would be tantamount to an outright ban, and Russia would consider boycotting the 2018 Olympics.

And there's that whole North Korea thing too. 

• Love 1

Let the Russians throw their little hissy fit and boycott the 2018 Games.  They get zero sympathy from me for having gotten caught cheating. I assure you, I won't miss them this time -- and maybe by 2020, they'll finally have cleaned up their act.

• Love 4

They actually did it.

Russia Banned from Winter Olympics by I.O.C.

Russia’s Olympic team has been barred from the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The country’s government officials are forbidden to attend, its flag will not be displayed at the opening ceremony and its anthem will not sound. Any athletes from Russia who receive special dispensation to compete will do so as individuals wearing a neutral uniform, and the official record books will forever show that Russia won zero medals.

• Love 5

Has there ever been another country banned for doping before? I know there have been other country-wide bans before but those I can think of have been political or humanitarian. 

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Indy said:

Has there ever been another country banned for doping before? I know there have been other country-wide bans before but those I can think of have been political or humanitarian. 

There have been a few at the sport level- currently 9 countries are banned from international competition because of excessive doping violations (Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Moldova, Turkey, and Ukraine) and Russia is also on a multi-year ban in track and field with a waiver in place for Russian athletes who train abroad and have strong biological passports. Russia also got banned from the Rio Paralympics. 

But this is another level in play. 

• Love 1

I can’t believe they actually had the guts to do it!  Now we will have to see how many “clean” athletes from Russia are allowed to compete.  

So, do you think Russia will boycott completely or allow individuals to compete?  On the one hand, I can see them being allowed to go, so Russia can block other countries from getting “their” medal.  On the other hand, I can see them not wanting to give the IOC the “win”, saying these Games don’t mean anything because the best athletes arent there.  

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 1

One thing made clear in the CNN report I read online is that the IOC guidelines for Russian athletes to compete as individuals is very strict. The IOC has the info from the Sochi Games about whose tests were manipulated and presumably WADA has access to the samples from other events (think DNA testing) to verify who is actually clean of PEDs and any blemish on someone’s record will be enough to bar them from these Olympics. 

Putin will have to decide whether to allow any “clean”athletes to compete or to boycott.For once, the IOC got it right! Amazing!

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Love 4

How easy is it to certify a Russian for Korea will probably largely come down to a sport by sport basis- sledding and nordic skiing will probably let zero athletes in because of the huge number of issues and doping violations there, curling is likely a straightforward yes if the Russians have qualified a squad, and figure skating is probably a no to anyone who competed in Sochi while allowing the athletes who were juniors in 2014 a pathway to compete. 

21 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

And now we will see how many IOC members will die under "mysterious" circumstances.

I don't think he'll go after the IOC. But I do fear for the life of the whistle blower who ran the program. 

• Love 1

Given that the Minister for Sport at the time (who  is now the Deputy Prime Minister) and his deputy at the time were issued lifetime bans from the Olympic movement (they can’t even be spectators at future games) and others involved were similarly banned for life, I would think those folks are done even with the various sports federations for life as well. Clearly the IOC was finally convinced extremely strong action was needed to crack down on state-sponsored PED doping and trying to conceal it. Will be interesting to see what happens with the Beijing Winter Games in 2022, as many have alleged over the years that China, among others, has been doing the same thing.

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Love 1

While discussion of news affecting athletes and management is allowed, posts that contain personal political views are subject to moderation. Posts have been removed. Further infractions will result in warnings or suspensions.

• Love 1

I saw the speed skating trials so I saw her several times.   I was as giddy as she was when she made the team.

However, I hate to be an old drag and rain on her parade, and I know she's only 17 and this is HUGE for her--but I do hope in the coming weeks she calms down a bit because the reporters can barely interview her.  

Oh, and even though it's probably not going to happen, I hope the dad ditches the "kick some hiney" poster before going to the Olympics.

Edited by Ohwell

As Putin seethes over Olympic ban, doping whistleblower fears for his life

The whistleblower who exposed Russia’s systematic doping of Olympic athletes has been warned by U.S. officials that Russian agents may be inside the United States looking for him, and that new security measures needed to be taken to ensure his safety, the lawyer for the whistleblower tells Yahoo News.

Even though the guy is already in federal witness protection, that might not be enough. In addition,

That threat was taken especially seriously in light of the unexplained deaths of two Russian Olympic officials last year who had worked with Rodchenkov, Tygart added. One of them, Nikita Kamayev, the former executive director of Rusada, Russia’s anti-doping agency, died in February 2016 from an apparent heart attack at the age of 52, reportedly after contacting a journalist offering to speak out about Russian doping. Just days earlier, Vyacheslav Sinev, Rusada’s former general director, also died of unknown causes.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

If he makes it, he'd have to cover up when marching in the opening ceremony, and that's really unfortunate. 

True, but he'll always make the Olympic Hotties thread (which I asked Athena for permission to create when we get close enough to the start of the Games)!

7 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

True, but he'll always make the Olympic Hotties thread (which I asked Athena for permission to create when we get close enough to the start of the Games)!

Oh I agree, he'll definitely make the hotties thread no matter what he's wearing, but I'll miss the coconut oil. ; ) 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Ohwell said:

If he makes it, he'd have to cover up when marching in the opening ceremony, and that's really unfortunate. 

I don't know, the Bermuda delegation always wear shorts, so maybe if he's determined enough and it's not super cold...

• Love 2