Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Chas411

Future of Movie Stars: Who Will Shine? Who Will Fade Away?

23 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Brie Larson DID get a bump with her Oscar win but I don't know if she's really "liked" by the public at large. Captain Marvel was a success but she has had some considerable backlash. 

I like Brie Larson a lot in roles but I didn’t love Captain Marvel. Not specifically because of her, I just didn’t think it was great. I found it boring. 

I don’t follow Marvel enough to know about the backlash but in most of the interviews I’ve seen her in she never comes off as much fun. That’s just me though and I’ve only seen a few.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I don’t follow Marvel enough to know about the backlash but in most of the interviews I’ve seen her in she never comes off as much fun. That’s just me though and I’ve only seen a few.

She comes off as a reserved person. I generally like her performances but I don't think Brie is really the type that thrives in the stardom push to the top like Margot Robbie or Emma Stone. I lean towards her ultimately finding her happy place in a low-key career as a starrer in indie films and supporting roles in blockbusters to keep the bills paid. Similar to Michelle Williams.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

She comes off as a reserved person. I generally like her performances but I don't think Brie is really the type that thrives in the stardom push to the top like Margot Robbie or Emma Stone. I lean towards her ultimately finding her happy place in a low-key career as a starrer in indie films and supporting roles in blockbusters to keep the bills paid. Similar to Michelle Williams.

Some actors have personalities that naturally come off well in those big publicity pushes, others don't. Brie Larson seems to have quite a dry sense of humour, which people have misinterpreted as rude or bored in interviews. There's one video edit that does the rounds in those right wing spaces that supposedly shows that her Avengers co-stars all hate her but actually shows her being dry and various other actors playing off that.

Sebastian Stan is similar. He was accused of being boring, sullen and rude in some of the early publicity stuff for Marvel, but he's actually just an introvert who withers a bit under that sort of intense attention. He admitted it himself when he said that Marvel put him and Anthony Mackie together in junkets and interviews because Mackie is great at drawing other people out of themselves.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

There's one video edit that does the rounds in those right wing spaces that supposedly shows that her Avengers co-stars all hate her but actually shows her being dry and various other actors playing off that

I actually saw that one and couldn’t believe the negative hype it got. There was absolutely no awkwardness between her and the rest of them. They all seemed to get along fine.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 1:18 PM, Ambrosefolly said:

If someone career is humming along without an Oscar win, like Glenn Close or Amy Adams, there is no real point. It is cool to get, don't get me wrong, but at this point does little for the career. 

I don't disagree about the career bump but I also don't think that means it matters to them any less.  Like you said, it's still a cool honor.  I think if you gave Glenn Close truth serum she'd admit that "Academy Award Winner Glenn Close" sounds better than "Academy Award Nominee Glenn Close."  I do think the bump, such as it is, comes more from the publicity of the nomination than the win, which will probably fall out of most people's heads in a few months.  Nominees usually do the circuit.  They walk the red carpets in the cool clothes.  You hear their names in the media over and over again.  Winning or not winning doesn't change the fact that we all watched them campaign for the better part of 3 months (Assuming they were nominated for other awards like the Globes as well) and they are now on the forefronts of our minds.  I've seen more publicity for the Amanda Seyfried Netflix movie that dropped this week than I swear I would have if Mank was ignored by the Academy.  I think a lot people will be interested in what Andra Day does next given that United States vs Billie Holiday was her first movie.  Etc. 

As for Brie Larson, I wouldn't put too much stock into whatever "bad press" swirls around her online.  She's barely in her 30s, has an Oscar in the bag, and is both an indie darling and has credits from two separate franchises.  I don't know if she'll ever be an America's Sweetheart level star, but you could do a hell of a lot worse than that.  You don't really need that level of fame right now to stay relevant anyway.  I  mean, it's really working for Frances Mcdormand these days who just resurfaces every few years, collects her trophies, and then peaces out again.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 3

Sorry for the double post but I'm just piggy backing off myself from last night.  Who really is America's Sweetheart right now?  And does that moniker even mean anything any more?  There has been such a tonal shift away from frothy projects with mass appeal and it's now way more en vougue to be seen as an actress who challenges herself.  These roles are inherently going to be more polarizing.  Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon play characters who can be very unlikable on The Morning Show.  Jennifer Lawrence takes on offbeat roles that wont be everybody's cup of tea.  Zendaya seems to do a lot of niche projects that wont sell to everybody.  I kind of adore what Charlize Theron is doing these days by taking on whatever effing role she wants and creating that space for herself regardless of whether everyone likes everything or not.  No one needs mega hit after mega hit anymore and there seems to be a lot more freedom to take risks and change things up.  I think Brie Larson's trajectory, and her talents, fit right into that. 

Honestly, America's Sweetheart is the Rock.  And that has been the case for quite some time.  Everyone loves him, his movies are about as deep as a paper cut but they are fun as hell, and they make bank.  Dwayne Johnson movies for about the last decade are what Julia Roberts movies were in the 90s.  You're paying for the charisma of the star and you're seldom disappointed.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, kiddo82 said:

Honestly, America's Sweetheart is the Rock.  And that has been the case for quite some time.  Everyone loves him, his movies are about as deep as a paper cut but they are fun as hell, and they make bank.  Dwayne Johnson movies for about the last decade are what Julia Roberts movies were in the 90s.  You're paying for the charisma of the star and you're seldom disappointed.  

I'd say his career is closer to Sylvester Stallone's 80's/early 90's career, but honestly the Rock has better charisma than Sylvester Stallone did.

I guess our last American Sweetheart was Jennifer Lawrence, but that was really more based on her off-screen persona compared to the kinds of movies she puts out.

The media landscape is so fractured now and streaming has enabled actors to be able to find plenty of work without having the pressure of needing to gross over a 100 million dollars.

On 4/1/2021 at 3:36 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Orlando Bloom aged pretty damn well and it seems like he's moving more towards t.v. That might be better for him.

Orlando Bloom is quite facially blessed, and did just fine in Carnival Row. I think Orlando knew who he was and where his talent lay, and stuck with that. 

On 4/29/2021 at 12:18 PM, Ambrosefolly said:

If someone career is humming along without an Oscar win, like Glenn Close or Amy Adams, there is no real point. It is cool to get, don't get me wrong, but at this point does little for the career. 

I think for them, they are still working and A list, an award would just be icing on the cake. 

• Like 1

Just now, Scarlett45 said:

I think for them, they are still working and A list, an award would just be icing on the cake. 

And I hope they get it and deserve it for that whatever particular performance (instead of the make-up Oscar).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

And I hope they get it and deserve it for that whatever particular performance (instead of the make-up Oscar).

In all honesty, I thought Glenn Close deserved it for the Wife, but I get why Olivia Colman won for the Favourite- it's the showier role. The best way to describe the Wife was "understated" elegance.

I do think Glenn Close's near-Oscar win in 2019 helped to re-establish her as a movie star in the minds of the public...she had essentially been more of a t.v. star in more recent years. (Yes, she did have an Oscar nomination in 2011 but it didn't seem to generate nearly as much buzz as her The Wife nomination did.) 

In Amy Adams's case, I catched Junebug at an arthouse theater when she was still a nobody, and that first Oscar nom did a lot to establish her. It's been really thrilling to watch how well her career has gone even without an Oscar win. I do hope she gets it, and I think she will. As for Glenn Close the fact that the Wife wasn't her last Oscar nom does make me think she's still got a shot despite being 74.

Honestly though, Glenn Close is reminding me a bit of how much fun Bette Davis had with her Baby Jane career resurgence, and that makes me smile. She seems genuinely thrilled to still be in the game, and given that Hollywood often discards Actresses as soon as they're 40 I can't blame her. (In her case, Glenn Close wasn't even really a household name until she was 40 with Fatal Attraction.)

• Like 3

Close absolutely should have won an Oscar by now. But I think her last two nominations show the drawbacks of this guilt/you are owed principle. In my opinion, The Wife was an incredibly weak movie that couldn't be lifted by Glenn's performance either. There are moments in it that basically scream "Look here, her big Oscar scene coming up" because the premise is so unbelievable and disjointed. I was incredibly disappointed by it all and am glad that she didn't win for it. It would have been like Winslet or Moore winning for inferior work.

Zendaya is incredibly promising, to stay on topic. Though how the campaign for Malcolm and Marie fizzled out was interesting, again material that showed itself too weak to sustain awards hype. Not her fault, but the director's, of course.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2021 at 2:29 PM, Avabelle said:

I like Brie Larson a lot in roles but I didn’t love Captain Marvel. Not specifically because of her, I just didn’t think it was great. I found it boring. 

You guys talking about Brie Larson made the movie Sleepover pop into my head.  Anyone remember that movie? She has a small role being one of the mean girls lol.  Evan Peters is in it as well playing the spazzy kid lol. All the young people in that movie and they were the ones who went on to more profile stuff.  It's always interesting when you see something as a Kid and who is still around when you get older lol.

On 5/2/2021 at 12:25 PM, kiddo82 said:

Keanu Reeves is beloved by almost everyone I'd say and he's still making bank with John Wick (this is an assumption of mine I wouldn't know.). Keanu is Twitter's sweetheart, I'd say, I've mostly only seen positive stuff about him.  

Drew Barrymore and Tom Hanks also I think.  Drew with her show and Tom's insistence on releasing a new movie about WW2 every year until we give him what he wants (and I don't even know what that is) but not sure if his movies are still making money.

On 5/2/2021 at 2:20 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I guess our last American Sweetheart was Jennifer Lawrence, but that was really more based on her off-screen persona compared to the kinds of movies she puts out.

This happened around Silver Linings Playbook and I always assumed that this was 100% a very intense, aggressive, you cannot escape even if you try media campaign by Harvey Weinstein.  Every single thing she did was reported on by the media and every story had the same slant:  YOU LOVE HER.  SHE'S YOUR BEST FRIEND.  SHE'S SO COOL AND DOWN TO EARTH.  Finally after she won her Oscar it died down a bit.  But those 2 years surrounding that media push was just hell.  Not everyone bought into it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3

On 5/15/2021 at 8:27 AM, katha said:

Zendaya is incredibly promising, to stay on topic. Though how the campaign for Malcolm and Marie fizzled out was interesting, again material that showed itself too weak to sustain awards hype. Not her fault, but the director's, of course.

Ugh, that movie.  But yeah, Z is beautiful and charismatic and great.

9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Ugh, that movie.  But yeah, Z is beautiful and charismatic and great.

I'm just so fucking tired of men nearing or over 40 almost universally having female screen romance partners who have yet to see a 30th birthday when you'll almost never see the reverse unless the character is specifically written as a Norma Desmond or a Mrs. Robinson. (Who, by the way, was played by a 36-year old pretending to be 45. Give it to Hollywood to decide that the best woman to play a sexy glamorous older woman was a 36-year old with some fake grey streaks in her hair instead of hiring an actual 45-year old.)

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 5

They also aged Amanda Seyfried up and aged Gary Oldman 30 years down so that they could play a couple in "Mank".  Just gross.  

8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'm just so fucking tired of men nearing or over 40 almost universally having female screen romance partners who have yet to see a 30th birthday when you'll almost never see the reverse unless the character is specifically written as a Norma Desmond or a Mrs. Robinson. (Who, by the way, was played by a 36-year old pretending to be 45. Give it to Hollywood to decide that the best woman to play a sexy glamorous older woman was a 36-year old with some fake grey streaks in her hair instead of hiring an actual 45-year old.)

There are so many things that I could say about this movie.  The age difference was just one aspect of it.  Z sitting on a toilet and getting progressively more and more naked while JDW stays fully clothed IN A SHIRT AND PANTS THROUGHOUT AN ENTIRE OVERNIGHT IN HIS OWN HOUSE after a long party was another tiny aspect of it that I hated.  The movie was so male gaze that it was painful.  And JDW's diatribe about a movie critic was the real life director's diatribe about a real, actual female movie critic that exists.  She had criticized Sam Levinson and Sam portrayed himself as Black man in Malcolm and Marie so that he could accuse this actual critic of being a racist.  Oh my god.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

You'll absolutely love Bruce Willis's latest piece of art, then

Willis and Travolta, two tired, bald men in their sixties and a lead actress who is less than half their age and looks a good bit younger than that.

Who knows, they might surprise us and have her actually playing the daughter of one of their characters, but I doubt it.

• Laugh 2

I have a few things to say about these age gaps but don't want to derail, so will make a new thread.  There's so much to talk about! ;)

• Like 3