Type keyword(s) to search

Future of Movie Stars: Who Will Shine? Who Will Fade Away?

• Start Topic

I do think it's interesting that Sandra Bullock managed to get herself back on the A-list after an extended period of "meh", but Julia Roberts couldn't manage the second comeback. They're both on similar talent levels so it's not like Sandra was some grand thespian but I feel like Sandra just managed to weather her mid-2000's downturn and get roles that made people care about her when she's not just being the woman in love. Julia hasn't been able to really do that. Julia does seem like she's moving towards more of supporting character actress parts.

I hope Lion and Big Little Lies helps Nicole Kidman. She really is a great actress. I just wish she'd stop fucking with her face so much.

• Love 7
On 4/24/2017 at 1:44 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I do think it's interesting that Sandra Bullock managed to get herself back on the A-list after an extended period of "meh", but Julia Roberts couldn't manage the second comeback. They're both on similar talent levels so it's not like Sandra was some grand thespian but I feel like Sandra just managed to weather her mid-2000's downturn and get roles that made people care about her when she's not just being the woman in love. Julia hasn't been able to really do that. Julia does seem like she's moving towards more of supporting character actress parts.

I hope Lion and Big Little Lies helps Nicole Kidman. She really is a great actress. I just wish she'd stop fucking with her face so much.

I think it helps that Sandra Bullock's looks haven't changed much over the years. She's always had that 'girl next door' cuteness, and even with age, her basic looks haven't changed much. And she never built her career on being the drop-dead gorgeous woman who lights up a room, as Julia did. And even though they've both had success over the years in dramatic roles, Julia Roberts' recent dramatic turns haven't been box office hits. It cold be that the movies were just bad, but it could also be that people aren't as drawn to Julia Roberts when she's not playing the coquettish object of some man's desire. When I see her in commercials, she doesn't look bad, but she isn't as stunning as she was in Pretty Woman or Runaway Bride, for example  

vs. Sandra Bullock, whom people tend to accept whether she's in a silly buddy comedy (The Heat) or a visually beautiful space movie (Gavity). 

Hollywood does not allow women to age gracefully. I know we've discussed this ad nauseam, but for most actresses, either you're ignored and assumed to be dead once you get wrinkles, or you get Botox and plastic surgery and end up looking like a bad wax figure of yourself. 

Edited by topanga

As someone one put it, Julia Roberts had a "glow" to her when she was an ingenue that drew people to her. She doesn't have that now. Of course, it's hard to keep up an ingenue's brightness when you're 50.

Sandra's roles have never really been about her being an object of desire or her looks- the only time her looks even play a part in a movie has been Miss Congeniality because of her makeover. I can't think of any other movie she's been in where she gets the "Wow, she's beautiful" slow entrance.

• Love 1

I don't think Sandra Bullock's personal life was particularly scandalous compared to Julia Roberts.  Julia Robert's public image took a significant hit with her relationship and marriage to Danny Moder, and I'm not sure it ever recovered.     

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I don't think Sandra Bullock's personal life was particularly scandalous compared to Julia Roberts.  Julia Robert's public image took a significant hit with her relationship and marriage to Danny Moder, and I'm not sure it ever recovered.     

Not to mention her leaving Kiefer at the altar and the short marriage to Lyle Lovett.

• Love 1

I thought of that, but I feel like she was "forgiven," especially since she was far and above the bigger star compared to Sutherland and Lovett. I don't recall her career being affected by those relationships. Looking at her imdb film history, it feels like there's a clear pre- and post-Moder delineation, and I don't see any film in which she was the lead that was exceptional (whether box office or critical acclaim) post-2002. Maybe Eat Pray Love?  

I do think Roberts took more risks compared to Bullock.  That might have paid off for her in an alternate reality.  

Edited by ribboninthesky1
1 hour ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

The Jesse James cheating/divorce scandal was pretty scandalous, I believe it overlapped with the Tiger Woods Mistress Parade, but Sandra was largely viewed with sympathy in the aftermath. 

Julia just made her 5th People's Most Beautiful cover though those have the whiff of "publicity arrangement" attached. I see that her movie Wonder was supposed to come out in April, but got moved to November.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, dusang said:

Not to mention her leaving Kiefer at the altar and the short marriage to Lyle Lovett.

She left Kiefer at the altar because he cheated on her, I don't think anyone really blames her for that.

Personally I think Julia has done some really great work outside of her "A List rom coms".  Full Frontal, Closer, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Charlie Wilson's War, Duplicity, Larry Crowne, August Osage County, The Normal Heart, The Secret in Their Eyes, Money Monster.

I adore Sandra Bullock, but I wouldn't say that she is in any better boat than Julia. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, JBC344 said:

She left Kiefer at the altar because he cheated on her, I don't think anyone really blames her for that.

Personally I think Julia has done some really great work outside of her "A List rom coms".  Full Frontal, Closer, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Charlie Wilson's War, Duplicity, Larry Crowne, August Osage County, The Normal Heart, The Secret in Their Eyes, Money Monster.

I adore Sandra Bullock, but I wouldn't say that she is in any better boat than Julia. 

I feel like she's still seen as a box office draw while Julia is not.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Yeah, I agree. Sandra stumbled badly with Our Brand is Crisis and seems to me to be very carefully weighing her next moves. I also agree that Julia is doing some interesting work. I also don't think she cares anymore about being the biggest star- been there, done that. She's still working and has a nice life with her hubby and and kids.  The box office stuff is overrated, too. IMO. I don't know that anybody is a true draw anymore regardless of the material. But both of them will always be "Stars".  It's baked in for both of them. Julia very much has the aura and carries herself that way, sometimes obnoxiously so. but one of the biggest losses without Letterman having a show is not having her appearances with him. She was always delightful with him.   

I don't see any film in which she was the lead that was exceptional (whether box office or critical acclaim) post-2002. Maybe Eat Pray Love?  

She got a lot of acclaim for Osage County (I thought she was better than Streep, too) and was nominated for an Oscar.  True it was in supporting, but it was really a co-lead.

Edited by vb68
11 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Especially when she wore that "A Low Vera" shirt to troll her husband's ex-wife. I like her in a lot of movies, but that was just vile. 

10 hours ago, Dejana said:

Julia just made her 5th People's Most Beautiful cover though those have the whiff of "publicity arrangement" attached. I see that her movie Wonder was supposed to come out in April, but got moved to November.

Allison from Dlisted had the best quote about that cover: She said she "doesn't look a day over Photoshop." LMAO. That cover photo was airbrushed to hell and back.

But seriously, she's the person with the second highest number of times to get that title; Michelle Pfeiffer has the record at six (she was also the first person on the cover of People's original 50 Most Beautiful People issue). I know this title should really be called The Celebrity With The World's Greatest Publicist and really means nothing, but I'll be pissed if Julia beats Michelle's record. 

Speaking of which, while Julia was by far the biggest actress in Hollywood in the 90's, would number two have been Meg Ryan, or was it more like a three-way or four-way fight for second place between Meg and a few other actresses?

Edited by UYI
9 hours ago, vb68 said:

Yeah, I agree. Sandra stumbled badly with Our Brand is Crisis and seems to me to be very carefully weighing her next moves. I also agree that Julia is doing some interesting work. I also don't think she cares anymore about being the biggest star- been there, done that. She's still working and has a nice life with her hubby and and kids.  The box office stuff is overrated, too. IMO. I don't know that anybody is a true draw anymore regardless of the material. But both of them will always be "Stars".  It's baked in for both of them. Julia very much has the aura and carries herself that way, sometimes obnoxiously so. but one of the biggest losses without Letterman having a show is not having her appearances with him. She was always delightful with him.   

She got a lot of acclaim for Osage County (I thought she was better than Streep, too) and was nominated for an Oscar.  True it was in supporting, but it was really a co-lead.

I so agree with you.  I think Julia's non desire to continue to be the biggest star is her biggest asset at the moment.  It has allowed her to take on some really great roles in the last few years.  As great as Meryl was in August, Julia completely stole the movie from her and gave a phenomenal performance.  I also loved her in The Normal Heart. 

• Love 1
On 4/20/2017 at 6:14 PM, aradia22 said:

That reminded me of this video with Chris Evans. 2:47. I wonder how much things changed when actors realized that not only would home videos (VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, streaming, etc.) be a thing but that the internet and pop culture particularly relishes dredging up that movie you made when you were a teenager or that time you sang badly or when you chewed up all the scenery and screamed about bees. ;)

Oh my God, when I saw this I immediately thought: this is wisdom from a man who has had the clips of him naked, covered in whipped cream with a banana in his ass shoved down his throat from the moment his career lasted longer than a year.

*sigh* I love him.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Oh my God, when I saw this I immediately thought: this is wisdom from a man who has had the clips of him naked, covered in whipped cream with a banana in his ass shoved down his throat from the moment his career lasted longer than a year.

*sigh* I love him.

WHERE?!?  GIVE ME NOW!! ... uhh... I mean ... Link please?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, dusang said:

WHERE?!?  GIVE ME NOW!! ... uhh... I mean ... Link please?

Not Another Teen Movie

To be fair, he's also naked a lot in What's Your Number? 

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 1
Just now, Dandesun said:

Not Another Teen Movie

Really?  I was not paying sufficient attention when I watched that.  Still, I think I prefer him with the tea towel in What's Your Number?

On 4/23/2017 at 10:44 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I always love that Sandra Bullock got the lead in While You Were Sleeping because Julia Roberts turned it down and that's what made really Sandra a big star. Yes she was great in Speed, relatable and charming but a lot of female co-stars in male oriented action movies don't jump to the A-list afterward. Julia wanted to do dramas like Something to Talk About and Mary Reilly so Sandra was able to fill the "America's Sweetheart" gap. There similar but still very different enough in terms of looks and personality. If Julia had been it I don't think it would have been as big a hit. At that point people wouldn't have believed her as a lowly token collector that people wouldn't notice. 

That's what really makes movie stars is they have to feel unique in the public eye. They can't really be interchangeable.

That's Jeff Goldblum who's been announced as returning as Ian Malcolm in Jurassic World 2. There's nobody like Jeff Goldblum, just like there's nobody like Matthew McConaughey, etc.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, dusang said:

Really?  I was not paying sufficient attention when I watched that.  Still, I think I prefer him with the tea towel in What's Your Number?

Go for the unrated version or renting the DVD.  Don't watch the TV broadcast.  Best scene in the movie hands down.

21 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I always love that Sandra Bullock got the lead in While You Were Sleeping because Julia Roberts turned it down and that's what made really Sandra a big star. Yes she was great in Speed, relatable and charming but a lot of female co-stars in male oriented action movies don't jump to the A-list afterward. Julia wanted to do dramas like Something to Talk About and Mary Reilly so Sandra was able to fill the "America's Sweetheart" gap. There similar but still very different enough in terms of looks and personality. If Julia had been it I don't think it would have been as big a hit. At that point people wouldn't have believed her as a lowly token collector that people wouldn't notice. 

That's what really makes movie stars is they have to feel unique in the public eye. They can't really be interchangeable.

That's Jeff Goldblum who's been announced as returning as Ian Malcolm in Jurassic World 2. There's nobody like Jeff Goldblum, just like there's nobody like Matthew McConaughey, etc.

That is a really great point.  The reality is that both Julia, Sandra, Meg, etc.  All filled really different roles, especially Julia and Sandra.  Outside of their "star" making rom coms the two women have very different looks. styles, acting choices, etc.  They were never interchangeable.  What worked for one wouldn't of necessarily worked for the other.  People have always compared them and I never got that really.  There is room for both, both are stars, and really good actresses.  I am happy that both are still making quality projects and continue to give it their all. 

• Love 4
On 4/3/2017 at 2:26 PM, methodwriter85 said:

On network t.v. and Direct-to-Redbox movies. Not prestige cable dramas or wide-release motion pictures.

Katherine's best bet is just work with her "bitch" label and own it. No one's going to buy her as the heroine now, so maybe she just needs to embrace that and start playing bitchy bosses and such.

Watching Feud's Oscar episode me think about how, once upon a time, Jessica Lange and Susan Sarandon were once continual Oscar contenders, netting 3 Oscars between them. But neither of them were able to maintain the movie pedigree like Meryl Streep or Helen Mirren did. (Glenn Close is also still able to get there- she got nominated as recently as 2011.) At this point I can't see it happening again for either of them...which made watching them play two characters who will never see an Oscar nom or win again pretty poignant, I thought.

I could see Sarandon turning in an Oscar-worthy performance again, but Hell will freeze over before the Academy gives her another shot at that podium.

On 4/25/2017 at 8:39 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

I've heard tales of really extreme diva behavior from people who've encountered Roberts. If Sandra Bullock has engaged in such, she must have killed all the witnesses.

On 4/26/2017 at 2:30 PM, dusang said:

That's the go-to movie for prime Chris Evans beefcake. I'd say London is in second place, but it's best to watch at home so you can mute the dialog and fast-forward scenes where Evans is absent or wearing clothes.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I've heard tales of really extreme diva behavior from people who've encountered Roberts. If Sandra Bullock has engaged in such, she must have killed all the witnesses.

I've heard a mix, so who knows.  I'll always believe that Catherine Zeta-Jones was referring to her. 

2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

That's the go-to movie for prime Chris Evans beefcake. I'd say London is in second place, but it's best to watch at home so you can mute the dialog and fast-forward scenes where Evans is absent or wearing clothes.

Quoting for emphasis! 

• Love 1

I can't find the interview, but I remember reading one several years ago where Catherine referenced an unnamed actress who wasn't that great to work with.  I recall speculation she was talking about Julia, probably because it was around the time of Ocean's 12 release.  I think Catherine went on record denying it was Julia.  

• Love 1
On 4/27/2017 at 0:41 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I actually really liked LONDON as a format/concept. Chris was good. And I liked the study of the relationship. Jason Stathom stole that movie though. He had a very specific monologue that I was impressed with -- mostly because I had never seen him in a straight drama before that required zero action sequences. And...he had...full hair...

Edited by tongueincheek
On 4/28/2017 at 6:13 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

I can't find the interview, but I remember reading one several years ago where Catherine referenced an unnamed actress who wasn't that great to work with.  I recall speculation she was talking about Julia, probably because it was around the time of Ocean's 12 release.  I think Catherine went on record denying it was Julia.  

She was in America's Sweethearts with Julia three years before Ocean's 12. I'm trying to think back if they actually had scenes in the latter....oh god, I just remembered the part where Julia Roberts' character Tess pretends to be Julia Roberts in the movie! I had forgotten about that! Then Bruce Willis as himself shows up! What was Steven Soderbergh thinking?

Edited by VCRTracking
On 4/26/2017 at 1:18 PM, VCRTracking said:

That's Jeff Goldblum who's been announced as returning as Ian Malcolm in Jurassic World 2. There's nobody like Jeff Goldblum,

I watched Death Wish a few weeks ago, because I hadn't seen it in a long time and I like Charles Bronson. Lo and behold, guess who portrayed one of the rapists? 

On 5/5/2017 at 2:10 PM, UYI said:

Since her name came up here recently: We have a Debra Winger sighting! YAY!

She looks great, I think. It's refreshing to see a naturally-aged actress.

Kind of like Marlee Matlin with softer features.

• Love 3

So Beauty and the Beast is now in the top 10 highest  grossing movies of all time. Not bad for the guy from Downtown Abby and Hermione Granger.  In seriousness though I am interested to see if those two are able to parlay this success into further success in movies. Dan Stevens got great reviews for the indie film the guest so he's shown leading man potential. Emma Watson has stuck to supporting roles but I liked her in Perks of being a Wallflower and of course the  Harry Potter movies. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Emma Watson doesn't strike me as someone who's in this for the long game- I think when she's no longer the ingenue getting offers she's going to go off and do something else.

I think Dan Stevens should try and get himself into the Marvel Universe. That seems to be where a steady paycheck/job security can be found for a lot of actors. (He's already kind of there with Legion- it seems to be doing well and maybe it could get him into the movie universe.)

Anyway...Ben Affleck:

A Look at Sadfleck and His Career

It's kind of interesting to see how he's "bobbled" a lot since his Argo victory, which capped his long-range comeback story.

Edited by methodwriter85

Emma Watson doesn't strike me as someone who's in this for the long game- I think when she's no longer the ingenue getting offers she's going to go off and do something else.

I don't see her being a singer unless she finds some indie band where big vocals aren't really required. 

I could see her lending her celebrity to humanitarian work but unless she's got some hidden reserves she hasn't tapped into, I don't think she's any more qualified than any other celebrity in speaking about feminism and social justice issues. Perhaps she might narrate a few documentaries or start a foundation.

Maybe I'm thinking along these lines because of The Circle but I see her as neither having the personality of a youtuber (or by extension, one of those people who is just famous) or having the bland inoffensiveness of a Jessica Alba Honest or a Gwyneth Paltrow Goop. I can see her doing commercials more than I can see her being driven to make her own products. But then again, who predicted Alba or Paltrow? 

Perhaps she'll be a writer of fiction or essays or a playwright or screenwriter. I don't know if she has talent in any of those areas. Though we aren't really lacking for those and there's not a ton of money in any of those professions. But she probably doesn't need the money after Harry Potter. 

She does do relatively well on the red carpet but I don't know if she has any interest in starting a fashion line or being one of those Olivia Palermo types that does something with fashion or blogging or... something? 

But yes, I haven't seen her give a performance that makes me think of her as a Cate Blanchett, someone who loves acting for the sake of acting. But maybe she's a Kristen Dunst and it's just dormant in her because she's not being offered the right projects right now. 

(edited)

I meant something else as something outside of the entertainment industry. She does have an English degree after all. (Although I could see her getting into screenwriting or producing.)

And yeah, she's never struck me as somebody who loves acting for acting's sake. She strikes me as a girl who lucked into a big franchise as a child and then a look that made people want to keep casting her in things.

Although she could wind up as Alexis Bledel- acting basically fell into her lap as well, and it's not until The Handmaid's Tale that people are actually taking her seriously as an actress.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

I don't think of most of those as entertainment. Activist, humanitarian, lifestyle brand ambassador (with products), fashion designer, vague fashion person... those are things that benefit from celebrity but I don't think their main value is providing entertainment. I don't see her, for example, just taking a small, ordinary job in publishing. There are people like Plum Sykes and Zosia Mamet and that woman who writes completely pointless things I always skip in Vogue (Elisabeth TNT) who have relatively regular magazine columns. I think she's more likely to do something like that than to work her way up from intern to editor, especially as everyone keeps complaining that print media is dying. But I do think the other suggestions I floated are more likely. I get the feeling that she wants to do something of significance though I'm not sure her advocacy efforts will go far. It's not a knock on her. It's just that identity politics and global health crises and rampant inequality are big topics a lot of smart people have been trying to work on them and it's not just that they were waiting for Emma Watson or Tavi Gevenson or Zendaya to fix them. Credit to them for wanting to be involved in the conversation (I feel like it sounds like I'm picking on young women but I can't think of very many young men who even talk about big issues) but I'm not ready to elect them our thought leaders. 

On 23/05/2017 at 2:53 AM, methodwriter85 said:

You often see child actors who lose interest in Hollywood when they grow up but I don't think that is the case with Emma. She branched out to other roles while the Potter train was still running and has consistently worked since then.

I would say that the jump from child star to adult actor is harder than from ingenue to character roles. We will see what happens when she gets to that stage  but Hermione wasn't really exactly an ingenue role, she was the bookish sidekick. 

I think a career that would be most similar to Watson's is Natalie Portman. Watson didn't achieve the level of fame (and creepy fandom) that Portman had, they have a similar background in terms of being female child actors who took time off to study at ivy league schools. I think they are both fairly grounded as former child actors as well. Portman has built a diverse career; she works less now due to family, but she was going between indie and big budget movies for awhile. Now she seems more into the Oscar bait territory.

I personally don't think Watson is a strong actor. I think she has improved, but she doesn't have a lot of range either. I do think she'll probably branch out into producing or writing. I see her continuing to act for a long time. She will probably in demand for long time.

• Love 3

I used to think Jon Hamm would pull a post-ER Clooney and have a similar trajectory in film after Mad Men.  That doesn't seem to be happening.  I wonder if he doesn't translate well to the big screen or if it's poor choices in projects?  Anyway, I though there would be more going on for him.

19 minutes ago, amaranta said:

I used to think Jon Hamm would pull a post-ER Clooney and have a similar trajectory in film after Mad Men.  That doesn't seem to be happening.  I wonder if he doesn't translate well to the big screen or if it's poor choices in projects?  Anyway, I though there would be more going on for him.

Hamm said that for many years before Mad Men, he struggled to get roles in Hollywood. His looks actually went against him. Hamm's handsomeness is a type that would have made him perfect for the 1930s-1960s or the Golden Age. In the 90s when he was coming up, he wasn't pretty enough and he looked too old to play most roles in his category. He was perfectly cast for Mad Men as a result. It's also a role that showed he could act.

He has been in movies on some comedic (Bridesmaids) and dramatic (The Town) roles as well, but largely kept to indie films. I think part of it is that casting does not know what to do with him. I think he's a character actor with leading actor looks, but the route to being a lead actor is not the same as it use to be. He'd need to be in a franchise or to become an action star to make a lot of money nowadays. He is also older than Clooney was when he left ER and Clooney had an exceptional sort of rise to fame. He was in a couple of rom-coms and romantic movies that boosted him. There aren't enough of those. 

I'd love to see more from Hamm and I know he's in a lot of indies and he does pick quirky projects. I love movies, but I think for Hamm, he'd do well to find ensemble critically acclaimed show. TV is doing better than movies these days with interesting roles and stories.

• Love 11

Also, while Clooney is Hollywood A-list, he doesn't really have the big box office numbers or even a solid track record. He's no Denzel or Leo. 

I agree Hamm would do better on TV. Better roles and more freedom. I don't know if he'll ever be able to go the Daniel Craig action movie route and he doesn't really have the personality that seems to be driving the top names in comedy. But then again, maybe he'll luck into something. I don't know how you predict Mark Wahlberg or Colin Farrell's careers. 

• Love 1

Well, Hamm dropped out of college and had an arrest warrant sworn out over a violent hazing incident that got his UT fraternity disbanded, and he went into rehab for alcohol abuse a couple of years ago, so those two might be the role models he should look to for career revitalization.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Well, Hamm dropped out of college and had an arrest warrant sworn out over a violent hazing incident that got his UT fraternity disbanded, and he went into rehab for alcohol abuse a couple of years ago, so those two might be the role models he should look to for career revitalization.

Finding out that Jon Hamm was once a crazed frat douchebag just made me love him even more. (Kidding. Sort of. I have this inexplicable thing for fratty assholes.) I think Jon Hamm had a window and it didn't quite work for him. It does seem like anybody who wants to keep their names in lights has to get attached to a Marvel enterprise.

Nobody from Mad Men has really broken out as a movie star. (John Slattery has been a character actor in movies/t.v. for a long time.) Most of them have been doing pretty solid t.v. work, though. I'm really happy that Ben Feldman has a sitcom that looks like it's got a good shot at hitting syndication.

Edited by methodwriter85
5 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Nobody from Mad Men has really broken out as a movie star. (John Slattery has been a character actor in movies/t.v. for a long time.) Most of them have been doing pretty solid t.v. work, though. I'm really happy that Ben Feldman has a sitcom that looks like it's got a good shot at hitting syndication.

I really thought Vincent Kartheiser was going to do some interesting things once Mad Men ended, but he's only got a handful of credits after playing Pete Campbell. I guess you never know who's going to catch on and who won't.

• Love 2

Re: Mad Men actors.

I think Elisabeth Moss is doing more than okay. She hasn't exactly headlined blockbusters, but she's received rave reviews for some indies in the last few years (I highly recommend The One I Love and The Queen of Earth), and she's currently starring in the megahit series The Handmaid's Tale (though it helps that that story is now more tragically relevant than ever). I'll even go so far as to say that Moss is the most successful Mad Men cast member, which does my heart proud; she's like the shy, overlooked nerd who later goes on to outshine the jocks and homecoming queens. :)

• Love 11
(edited)
5 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Re: Mad Men actors.

I think Elisabeth Moss is doing more than okay. She hasn't exactly headlined blockbusters, but she's received rave reviews for some indies in the last few years (I highly recommend The One I Love and The Queen of Earth), and she's currently starring in the megahit series The Handmaid's Tale (though it helps that that story is now more tragically relevant than ever). I'll even go so far as to say that Moss is the most successful Mad Men cast member, which does my heart proud; she's like the shy, overlooked nerd who later goes on to outshine the jocks and homecoming queens. :)

I would definitely say she's been having the most successful career post-Mad Men. She'll never be a box-office queen but she's doing great. I'll put her in the "long star" category. The fact that she's been at this since she was like 7 and the farthest low she's ever had were Tension Headache commercials is pretty amazing.

Vincent unfortunately has a look that doesn't really correspond to leading man status. That's been true since Angel and it's true now. And it seems like the only guys who get a shot at movie fame now are the guys who get into the action hero universe or some other franchise.

Could be worse, James Wolk has been stuck in Zoo for three seasons (and counting). I think obscurity might be preferable.

James Wolk reminds me of Kyle Chandler. I wonder if he'll follow a similar career trajectory- lots of t.v. work in his 20's and 30's, then a critically acclaimed t.v. series not enough people watched in his 40's, and becoming a "Hey, It's That Guy" in movies during his 40's and 50's.

Edited by methodwriter85

Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner cast Jon Hamm as Don Draper because he reminded him of James Garner and I think he probably will have the same career. Garner had a lot of good movie roles but was really much bigger as a TV star on Maverick in the 50s and The Rockford Files in the 70s.

Hard work and talent are important, but ultimately stardom does come down to good luck. It's getting the right role in the right movie at the right time. There are actors who work for years who are great but never catch a break. Jack Lemmon in his AFI speech about the importance luck had in his career:

• Love 2
On 6/2/2017 at 8:27 PM, Athena said:

He is also older than Clooney was when he left ER and Clooney had an exceptional sort of rise to fame. He was in a couple of rom-coms and romantic movies that boosted him. There aren't enough of those. 

Clooney was 38 when he left ER and Hamm was 44 at the end of Mad Men. I would say that in practical terms for casting purporses they where the same age.  

I think that Million Dollar Arm was a stronger vehicle for Hamm than Batman and Robin was for Clooney, movies that both men did at the same time as their respective big TV roles.  Its a shame that Hamm didn't seems to get further similar offers after that.  Clooney had allready had success with the rom-coms prior to putting on the nippled batsuit so it wasn't an insurmountable career blow for him. 

(edited)

He also worked with exceptional directors afterwards like Steven Soderbergh, the Coen Brothers and David O. Russell who were able to use his leading man quality in more interesting ways.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

Looking back at the time that Mad Men ran, I thought that Aaron Paul would have had a good career in movies after Breaking Bad . Young , great actor,  marketable tough guy with a heart type. I don't know why he isn't an action star yet.