Type keyword(s) to search

Future of Movie Stars: Who Will Shine? Who Will Fade Away?

• Start Topic

(edited)

I was hoping that we could continue this on from TWOP (RIP).

A good place to discuss stars who you think are hot right now, who you think has staying power, who will fade..

People I would think are going to be around for the next decade or so would be Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill along with Jennifer Lawrence.

I've never felt Kristen Stewart had great staying power or much talent at all but I think she has a decent film in Cannes which may prove me wrong.

Ryan Reynolds career seems to have gone to crap with most his movies bombing but I do think Blake Lively may sneak up on us again with another decent supporting role at some point.

Edited by Chas411

Ryan Reynolds really needs to get a new agent, or to be more discerning himself in his choices. Because the guy has huge charisma and charm, in the right role, but too many of his recent movies have miscast him, and had crappy scripts to boot. No way to really overcome that.

Jonah Hill was in Moneyball, and he was actually pretty good in it. Yes, he was a more comedic character, but only in that the few laughs to be had in the movie were about him being out of his depth and trying to figure out how to do his job. But based on that movie, I don't mind him. Perhaps it helps that I've not seen many of his other ones.

I'm hoping that Sebastian Stan's career will take off, thanks to the Winter Soldier. I've seen the guy in a few things, and he plays very different characters in all of them. Can go from brooding to batshit crazy quite convincingly, and obviously has the looks that Hollywood likes.

Channing Tatum got good Cannes buzz from his Foxcatcher role, though he's took a bit of a beating with the Gambit casting rumors.  I tend to think he's funnier and more interesting in the interviews I've seen vs his acting, but I doubt he's going anywhere.  As for Gambit, he can't be worse than Taylor Kitsch for me, who's a black hole of charisma.  Neither actor is particularly attractive to me, but Tatum at least has some easy-going southern charm on his side, which seems a good thing for Gambit, if he is indeed cast. 

I think Jeremy Renner will have a long career.  It may not be as an action hero or romantic lead (though, I much preferred his Bourne identity character over Matt Damon's), but he's a solid character actor.

I think actresses always have it tougher, so I've learned it is much harder to call it, but it seems like those who find their rhythm later in life and aren't necessarily household names (e.g. Amy Adams, Julianne Moore, Cate Blanchett, Tilda Swinton, Rachel McAdams somewhat) are the ones who will get the consistent work.  It seems like it's much harder to make the transition into adult roles when you hit it big rather young.  I think it's too early to call it with Jennifer Lawrence or Kristen Stewart, especially since most of their buzz came from high-profile franchises.  Though, to Stewart's credit, she has the advantage of Hollywood familial connections, and the fact that she's a veteran, despite her age - I remember her from Panic Room, which was over a decade ago.  Lawrence has....David O. Russell, and her personality, which may or may not be endearing as she gets older.   

Kate Winslet is a rare exception, as she hit it big with Titanic, but I think she was also classifically trained, and has seemingly avoided being tied to one director. She also hit it big before the explosion of social media, so she wasn't scrutinized as much as any young starlet now would be.   

(edited)

Channing Tatum got good Cannes buzz from his Foxcatcher role, though he's took a bit of a beating with the Gambit casting rumors.  I tend to think he's funnier and more interesting in the interviews I've seen vs his acting, but I doubt he's going anywhere.  As for Gambit, he can't be worse than Taylor Kitsch for me, who's a black hole of charisma.  Neither actor is particularly attractive to me, but Tatum at least has some easy-going southern charm on his side, which seems a good thing for Gambit, if he is indeed cast. 

Gambit is my favourite comic book character, but the thought of Channing Tatum playing him depresses me. Every movie I've seen him in, he's been about as engaging as a block of concrete. No clue how he will ever manage to be a convincing Gambit. Sadly, it would encapsulate the plight of Gambit fans if, after years and years of clamouring, first for him to appear in the movies at all, and then for him to get a decent role in a movie, that it's played by this lunk.

With Taylor Kitsch, it's weird. On Friday Night Lights, he had great presence and charisma, and his laconic line deliveries worked perfectly. He had great chemistry with anyone he was on screen with, and he was genuinely funny. But none of that seems to translate to movies. Again, I think he's just been in the wrong movies. Big, dumb, effects driven blockbusters that don't fit him at all. However, I thought he was okay as Gambit, and (I admit this is a dubious honour) was one of the best things about that Wolverine movie.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3

I'm quite curious to see what Guardians of the Galaxy does for Chris Pratt.  And I wonder if he can move on from Andy Dwyer from Parks and Rec.

• Love 1

Eddie Redmayne as Stephen Hawking in Theory of Everything.  That is either going to suck or be awesome.

His next movie after that is The Danish Girl where he plays Einar Wegener/Lili Elbe, the intersex Danish painter.  (Although there were originally reports that the role was going to be played by Nicole Kidman, so I am confused as to what is going on there.)

At least he isn't taking boring roles.

I think Amanda Seyfried might see her career start to improve a little now that she is back to doing what she does best: comedy and romance.  Okay her role in A Million Ways to Die in the West is only supporting but it has to be better than a truly thankless role like Cosette.

Okay her role in A Million Ways to Die in the West is only supporting but it has to be better than a truly thankless role like Cosette.

I don't think that movie is really going to help anyone's career.  

• Love 1

I don't think that movie is really going to help anyone's career.  

Still it is good to see her back in comedy.

She played a good bad guy though.

Definitely - and good for her for not being afraid to poke fun at her Anime character sized eyes (I think she's very attractive personally but those are big eyes...)

• Love 2

With the proper handling and movie/script choices, I believe Lupita Nyong'o could have a fabulous and well-respected career.  I see she just scored a role on the new Star Wars movie.   This will definitely help her be cast in more movies.

The lady has a massive substance beneath her almost ethereal elegant presentation.

• Love 2

While I admittedly never saw The HostI think Saoirse Ronan has the potential to be big. She was great in Atonement and  Hanna and I enjoyed her small part in Grand Budapest Hotel. After being in so many movies, I thought she would be older, but she's only 20.

• Love 2

We had a little chat about movie stars on the old TCM thread on TWoP. First there's a question of longevity vs. movie stardom. For longevity, you have to bet on actresses that are beautiful but who can blend. There are very few Meryl Streep's who get starring roles late into their careers. You generally have to carve out a niche for yourself as a dependable supporting actress. I think Amy Adams and Emily Blunt are doing a very nice job of that but I wouldn't call either of them movie stars. I think Cate Blanchett is well on her way to being one of those actresses who can work whenever she wants to but I question her movie star status. She has the prestige but I don't think she can really bring in a big audience and I don't think she really has that dependability or charisma I associate with movie stars.

Once upon a time, I would have said Anne Hathaway was on her way to becoming a bona fide movie star but even I started to hate her during her Oscar campaign and I sat through the mess they made of one of my favorite books as a child, Ella Enchanted. The problem now is that an actor can easily become overexposed or they just have to make one slip up and suddenly we all hate them. I think Michael Fassbender is making a lot of smart choices. I think Hugh Jackman has the persona but he's missing all the other factors. I think it's too early to say with Jennifer Lawrence, Shailene Woodley, Kristen Stewart, Emma Watson, Emma Stone... basically anyone who's starred in a young adult book adaptation or who is in that age range. 

You don't question a movie star's movie star status. It just is. What I mainly see nowadays is a bunch of popular actors. 

• Love 1

One of my greatest regrets is that she didn't get to play Black Widow. Stupid Jack Black.

There's always Ms Marvel or Jennifer Walters. In fact, I think Emily Blunt would make a really good Shulkie (though I don't know how they'd put a convincing She-Hulk on screen. CGI? Makeup? Prosthetics?)

Or how about The Authority? She'd be a great Jenny Sparks. And if Marvel ever make a Black Widow movie, Emily Blunt would make a great Yelena Belova. Or what about the Mass Effect movie, if it ever comes to pass? She'd be a great Shepherd (oh, who am I kidding? I know that the hero will be male-Shep).

Really, whichever superheroine it is, I agree that Emily Blunt needs to play at least one.

• Love 1

Really, whichever superheroine it is, I agree that Emily Blunt needs to play at least one.

She'd make a good Batgirl, though she might be too old to play Barbara Gordon at this point.

Saoirse Ronan as Kara Zor-El anyone? 

You don't question a movie star's movie star status. It just is.

Look at  Julia Roberts.  I think she's a little like Elizabeth Taylor.  She'll always be a big star just because she is.  But she also works within an ensemble.  I think she was superb in August:Osage County.  It might be her very best performance.  She was also a supporting player in those Oceans movies, but they did play upon her movie star status.  It was even a meta gag in one of them that she looked like "Julia Roberts".   I haven't watched A Normal Heart yet (it's waiting on my DVR), but it's a choice supporting part.  So she is blending into parts as she gets older, but I don't think there is any question that she's a movie star.  I also think that she'll always have work whenever she wants it. 

(edited)

I really hope that Emily Blunt gets more action heroine roles, because goddamn did she kick some ass in Edge of Tomorrow.

I would really like to have seen Blunt's characterization of Black Widow in the Avengers franchise, since she was rumored to have turned down the role. Scarlett Johanssen is such a 'meh' actress, IMO and I think Widow has many facets that she isn't able to portray (such as, I don't know, an accent? Where on earth is her accent?). I know Disney would never consider recasting for a solo project but it would be pleasantly unexpected if they were to revisit Blunt.

ETA: I see many people beat me to the punch, above. Ah well, I concur.

Edited by 80srockher
  • Love 1
You don't question a movie star's movie star status. It just is. What I mainly see nowadays is a bunch of popular actors.

I don't see this as a bad thing.  But then, I also think actors coming to prominence in current times are subject to much more scrutiny and criticism now that they were in the past.  So to me, there's more fragility with individual careers, and therefore, actors and actresses seem more human. And though there is still that "larger than life" aspect to many popular actors and actresses, until the late 90s/early 00s or so, the public would be more likely see a film because of a particular person rather than the story.  

I also think that with the widening of film-making options (it's not just the major film studios anymore), there's just a lot more exposure to talent that there has been in the past. Sure, there are still the flavors-of-the-month who get studio and mainstream media backing, but I also think they're a lot easier to ignore than before.

I think Jennifer Lawrence is probably already there. I wouldn't say that if she'd only done Hunger Games and X-Men, but I think because of what David O. Russell's done with her in his two movies, it's crafted her a screen persona that turned her into a full-fledged star that didn't happen with Kristen Stewart or Shailene Woodley yet. I think it's obvious she's been the biggest emergence of any new movie star in a long time

And i don't even really like her that much (i'm in the minority but i find her "look-at-me" talk show personality obnoxious- it may work on screen but if i met someone like that in real life i'd walk in the opposite direction). I prefer Emma Stone, I hope she can find something that makes her big.

• Love 2

I just read there that Reese Witherspoon's Devil's Knot seems to have bombed critically. I'm not surprised. There's a few exceptions but I've found that in the last few years, her movie choices just reek of Oscar baiting. Like she's looking for the next win or is just takes herself way to seriously. I really see it in any of the her films of the last few years. I just wish she'd stop trying to hard and maybe find more fun Legally Blonde or dark Election style roles again.

• Love 1
(edited)

I used to love Reese so hard, but her personality and antics the past few years have really worn thin. First she stopped making good movies (Election, Pleasantville, Legally Blonde) and then did those cringeworthy things while drunk. Maybe it's her personal life that's gotten to her. Or her high maintenance image is affecting how the public sees her.  Regardless, I agree with the PP who says she's trying waaay too hard.

ETA: back to the future of movie stars. I loved reading the old thread at TWoP and seeing predictions that X or Y wouldn't make it much longer, when those are the big stars now. I think Elizabeth Banks (my favorite actress since Catch Me if You Can, thanks to lots of great small parts) will continue getting bigger roles. I don't see the Hemsworth guys lasting long. I see Anna Kendrick and Joseph Gordon Levitt continue to shine.

Edited by gwlisa

I'm not sold on Anna Kendrick. I have yet to see Pitch Perfect but I've heard some of the songs and I don't know why they'd give her Cinderella in Into the Woods and The Last Five Years on the strength of that performance which was average by reality singing competition standards or Broadway standards. I did see Up in the Air and found it incredibly underwhelming. I forget what that Oscar year was like but it must have been incredibly weak for UITA to get all those nominations. It wasn't a horrible movie. It was just... fine. The performances were all... adequate.

• Love 1
Why do I think that Fault in our Stars will make Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort the stars that a project like Divergent didn't quite do?

I think it will, too. I think Shailene did get famous off of Divergent, but this will be the "cement" to her status. Meanwhile, Ansel's part in Divergent was pretty small so it makes sense that he didn't really become a household name because of this movie. If this movie breaks as big as some people are expecting (I've heard 80 million to 120 million), they will be.

I think the thing is, a project like Divergent is ultimately more about the "concept" than about the stars- like most action movies are these days. I mean, if you think about it, the only person who really became a star because of The Hunger Games was Jennifer Lawrence. Josh Hutercherson and Liam Hemsworth feel like they barely register, because the franchise is The Katniss Show.The Fault in Our Stars is completely about the romance and tragedy of Hazel and Augustus, and it's designed to make us fall in love with Shailene and Ansel. I think it'll happen.

Why do I think that Fault in our Stars will make Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort the stars that a project like Divergent didn't quite do?

I think it will, too. I think Shailene did get famous off of Divergent, but this will be the "cement" to her status.

I'm obviously very conservative when it comes to throwing around the term "movie star" but I don't think one movie is going to do it. The best case scenario them is a Kate and Leo thing from Titanic. A large fanbase that will hopefully follow them from project to project and give them room to build their careers up to movie star status. 

We had a little chat about movie stars on the old TCM thread on TWoP. First there's a question of longevity vs. movie stardom. For longevity, you have to bet on actresses that are beautiful but who can blend. There are very few Meryl Streep's who get starring roles late into their careers. You generally have to carve out a niche for yourself as a dependable supporting actress. I think Amy Adams and Emily Blunt are doing a very nice job of that but I wouldn't call either of them movie stars. I think Cate Blanchett is well on her way to being one of those actresses who can work whenever she wants to but I question her movie star status. She has the prestige but I don't think she can really bring in a big audience and I don't think she really has that dependability or charisma I associate with movie stars.

IMHO Cate Blanchett and Amy Adams are movie stars, although they are more minor movie stars in comparison to Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock or Jennifer Lawrence.  

IMHO Cate Blanchett and Amy Adams are movie stars, although they are more minor movie stars in comparison to Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock or Jennifer Lawrence.  

I agree with this. I'm a Blantchett fan and she has a ton of prestige. I think she's basically like Meryl Streep in that she'll probably always get roles. I think the definition of movie stars especially for female actresses has changed in the last decade. Sandra Bullock, Meg Ryan and Julia Roberts types of stars aren't really the trend anymore. They all made it big through romantic comedies which aren't in trend anymore. I think audiences require more than just a couple of stars. I do think JLaw does have a legion of fans, but she's an exception compared to other folks. Like someone else above, I prefer Emma Stone, but Stone has lost a bit momentum since her height in Easy A. I hope she gets more dramatic roles because I know she has it in her.

• Love 1

people always say that Amy Adams isn't really a movie star and most people don't even know who she is, but is that really true? she's been in so many movies in the last 5-6 years- seems hard to believe people still don't know who she is...even after Enchanted, Man of Steel and American Hustle? I guess she's mostly been supporting in lot of things, but for some reason i keep thinking people should at least know who she is after all these movies and nominations

Amy Adams is attractive, and she's a good actress.  However, I think she's like many actors--female and male--who aren't striking enough, or who just don't stand out enough, to be recognized as a star.  Plus, some people still get her confused with Isla Fisher, and I can understand why. 

(edited)

They all made it big through romantic comedies which aren't in trend anymore.

I would piggyback that on to the discussion of Reese Witherspoon, too.   I think that has really hurt  Reese.

Plus, some people still get her confused with Isla Fisher, and I can understand why.

The weird thing there is I  really do think Amy Adams is much more well known than Isla Fisher.   I'm not sure Isla ever really capitalized on her success from The Wedding Crashers.  I can't even remember when I last her any buzz about her. 

Edited by vb68

Isla Fisher did get Now You See Me, but that's not the kind of me that gets you buzz.

Amy Adams I think is the most comparable to Julianne Moore- clearly set up for the long haul, and someone who may not be a headliner in every film, but someone who has a very healthy mix and balance in her career. She's also similiar to Julianne Moore in that her breakthrough didn't come through until she was about 30 or so, so we don't have the image of her as bouncy 22-year old in our minds like we do with Julia Roberts and Meg Ryan.

• Love 2
(edited)

Amy Adams is attractive, and she's a good actress.  However, I think she's like many actors--female and male--who aren't striking enough, or who just don't stand out enough, to be recognized as a star.

Personally I think she is quite distinctive looking.I don't necessarily think she lacks anything. It seems like almost no women in her age range are getting the sort of good consistent lead roles that Lawrence or long established stars like Streep are getting.

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1

Amy Adams is attractive, and she's a good actress.  However, I think she's like many actors--female and male--who aren't striking enough, or who just don't stand out enough, to be recognized as a star.  Plus, some people still get her confused with Isla Fisher, and I can understand why. 

I always find Amy Adams rather forgettable, in whatever film I've seen her in. Is she good in the roles she plays? Sure. Does she have that star quality that makes me see her name in a cast list and say, 'oh, I want to see this'? Nope. There's just no spark to her that I can connect with, like there is with some people who, arguably, aren't as good at acting, like Reese Witherspoon or Sandra Bullock or even Julia Roberts.

I don't think Amy Adams is someone that studios rely on to be a draw, and I think that idea is supported by looking at her list of credits over the last few years. She's just kind of there, in those films, with co-stars or stories that are expected to be the attraction. So yeah, I can see why a lot of people don't really know who she is. Tell them, 'oh, she's the love interest in The Fighter' or 'yeah, she played Lois Lane in that crappy Superman movie', and they'll probably say, 'oh,,, her? Yeah, okay, I know who she is'.

• Love 1
(edited)

I honestly think the closest thing we have right now to a movie star, that's more in line with how stars were back in the 50s, is Leonardo DiCaprio.  He is never going to be anything but A+ list, everyone knows who he is, he can draw people to his movies, and he's only getting more handsome the older he gets.  I have no better way to put it than he just *looks* like a movie star, and when he's on-screen, you just can't take your eyes off him.  MMV of course, but if I had to pick a modern movie star, it's him hands down.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 5
(edited)

I always find Amy Adams rather forgettable, in whatever film I've seen her in. Is she good in the roles she plays? Sure. Does she have that star quality that makes me see her name in a cast list and say, 'oh, I want to see this'? Nope. There's just no spark to her that I can connect with, like there is with some people who, arguably, aren't as good at acting, like Reese Witherspoon or Sandra Bullock or even Julia Roberts.

I always thought she's had star quality. She really stood out when I first saw her in Catch Me if You Can but YMMV. 

e is never going to be anything but A+ list, everyone knows who he is, he can draw people to his movies, and he's only getting more handsome the older he gets.  I have no better way to put it than he just *looks* like a movie star, and when he's on-screen, you just can't take your eyes off him.  MMV of course, but if I had to pick a modern movie star, it's him hands down.

I don't find Leo that handsome but I agree that he is a movie star and does seem to be able to get people to see his movies.The Great's Gatsby probably ended up doing better than people thought it would because of him.

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1

I thought Amy Adams had star quality in Enchanted. That movie would have never worked at all if they didn't have someone like her in that part. I think she's a good actress overall, but she's always shined in that innocent, naive, ingenue type role, like Junebug, Catch Me if You can, etc.

But you know, if people don't know her, they don't know her. I just question that with all the movies she's been in and the nominations she's gotten in the last few years. I hope the Tim Burton movie Big Eyes coming out this year is finally the one that she'll win the Oscar for.

I agree about Leo being a massive movie star, but I think another one has to be Robert Downey Jr. He's to those Iron Man and Avengers movies what Sean Connery was to the Bond movies, and I really think the money the Iron Man movies make can be directly attributed to him.

• Love 1

I agree Leo is a movie star, but not due to his looks, which have not translated well to adulthood. He has a charm about him. I imagine he can turn it on like Bill Clinton. I bet he's magnetic in person.

I think Leo has a "movie star head," if that makes sense.  In some of his red carpet photos, with his hairstyle, mustache, and in a tux, I get a Clark Gable vibe from him. 

Just this week, it appears Shaleine Woodley (Fault In Our Stars) is proving her bankability.  I know she has established a friendship with George Clooney, so I fully expect she will receive excellent guidance.  She has classic beauty, but is not a knockout.  

Could she become another Streep?  I'm pretty sure she will be given that chance.

I agree that DiCaprio is a huge star.  I think some of it is just how he carries himself.  I don't see any problem  with his looks, either.

Shaleine Woodley is poised for big time stardom.  She's getting some good roles.   I think it's a bit early though to be calling her another Streep.

I think Leo is also morphing Jack Nicholson in some ways. That's probably conscious since he's allegedly one of DiCaprio's favourite actors.

I think Leo looks better without the slicked back hair and goatee he seems to prefer and his face tends to go a bit bloaty if he doesn't watch his weight. Still, he's not someone who would come to mind when I think of child/teen stars who didn't grow into their looks. I think that's a big part whether a child star ends up being taken seriously as an adult actor, yet it's not really something a person can control.

I always thought she's had star quality. She really stood out when I first saw her in Catch Me if You Can but YMMV. 

It definitely varies. Because I had no clue she was even in Catch Me If You Can. Now I look into it, I know the character she played, but I'd never have been able to tell you it was Amy Adams.

I honestly think the closest thing we have right now to a movie star, that's more in line with how stars were back in the 50s, is Leonardo DiCaprio.  He is never going to be anything but A+ list, everyone knows who he is, he can draw people to his movies, and he's only getting more handsome the older he gets.  I have no better way to put it than he just *looks* like a movie star, and when he's on-screen, you just can't take your eyes off him.  MMV of course, but if I had to pick a modern movie star, it's him hands down.

I like DiCaprio, but his movie choices are starting to really, really stink of, 'please give me an Oscar!' He'd probably actually do himself a favour or two if he just turned up in a daft action movie, or even a comedy. Because when I think of those 50s movie stars, I always think of wit and a sense of fun. I've seen glimpses of it in DiCaprio, but usually in a manic sort of way, when his character is falling apart.