Type keyword(s) to search

The Rocky Saga

• Start Topic

I ended up watching the marathons of Rocky, Rocky II, Rocky III, Rocky IV and Rocky V this weekend, and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed these movies. And as an adult, realized how propagandaish an silly the fourth one was, though Sly looked his absolute best in that one.

And started a topic, because as I was scrolling, saw that DESPITE saying that Rocky Balboa (which I haven't seen yet) would be the LAST, Sly is filming Creed, which is supposed to be about Apollo's grandson. Guess this is a franchise that will never die, heh.

Not sure if I should break and make threads for each movie or if we can just have this thread since I suspect, comparisons will be made. Assuming that there is anyone else out there who also enjoyed or didn't enjoy these movies.

• Love 1

Rocky III was my first introduction to the series and my friend and I loved it so much (we were 13 or 14 at the time) that we watched it all the time--and every other Stallone movie.  When I watched Rocky I, I found it a bit dull and preferred Rocky II because of the romance storyline between him and Adrianne (again--I was a kid :).  I've seen Rocky I again as an adult and can now appreciate how good it is.  And, of course, I loved Rocky IV as well.  After that, I wasn't too impressed with part V and didn't even see Rocky Balboa. 

However, it's because of Rocky I-III (especially the first one) that I will defend Stallone to the death--no matter what kind of "meh" movies he's done since then. 

• Love 2

However, it's because of Rocky I-III (especially the first one) that I will defend Stallone to the death--no matter what kind of "meh" movies he's done since then. 

Oh I agree. I just told a friend last night, after bingewatching that Stallone doesn't get the credit he really deserves as a writer and director.  For me, Rocky IV was the first one, THEN I watched the first three. I have to say I was beyond miffed and peeved that they soap opera aged Rocky, Jr. for V, considering it was only a few days since the fight with Drago and Junior was only 6! But now he's all of 14. Whatever.

I'm totally getting the whole set on Blu-ray, which is about $40. I'm not impressed with V, and haven't seen Rocky Balboa, but being the anal retentive I am, I suppose I finally will.

I fucking love the chemistry between Stallone and Talia. Gave me the tummy flutters when I watched their first kiss. And stupid me, I didn't even know that she was Coppola's sister! At least she has talent, unlike his daughter. In acting that is.

But the one character I have loathed throughout the entire series is Paulie. A more abusive, loser, of a brother and no kind of friend I've never seen. I don't know why Rocky put up with him, to be honest and if someone had to die in the last one to get Rocky back in the ring, I would have preferred it if Paulie had been killed.

I suppose that a boxer risks death when fighting, hence the reason why Drago wasn't charged with killing Apollo? But man did I love seeing Rocky pound Drago at the end, relentlessly, with no mercy. I could have done without that speech about "can't we all get along" though. Silly me, I wanted him to yell "Adddriaaaaaannn!!" Hee.

• Love 1

I fucking love the chemistry between Stallone and Talia. Gave me the tummy flutters when I watched their first kiss.

Oh man...that first kiss!  Every time I see a topic about the best movie kisses I always list that one.  The way he carefully moves in to her and then she grabs him? *sigh*

I haven't seen II-V in years (even decades), so I don't remember a lot, even though I saw them multiple times.  I remember loving it in Rocky II when he stumbled through reading to Adrianne when she was in the coma.  Nice touch.  Also, that he refused to see the baby until he could see them together.  I remember thinking the second one was almost as strong as the first.

• Love 2

I would agree that the first two are the strongest. Three is also good, but Mr. T is such a punk in III. A jealous punk at that.  And Rocky is pretty polished in III, and clearly he learned how to drive between II and III, heh.  But the scene with Rocky and Micky, after Micky died is heart wrenching.

But the one character I have loathed throughout the entire series is Paulie. A more abusive, loser, of a brother and no kind of friend I've never seen. I don't know why Rocky put up with him, to be honest and if someone had to die in the last one to get Rocky back in the ring, I would have preferred it if Paulie had been killed.

Word...fuck Paulie. Wasn't it him that "invested" the Balboas' money causing them to go broke in Rocky V?

Word...fuck Paulie. Wasn't it him that "invested" the Balboas' money causing them to go broke in Rocky V?

I don't recall, but on imdb's FAQ's it's said that it was Rocky's accountant, who did that; plus the accountant apparently didn't file Rocky's taxes for six years, which also led to him suddenly being broke again and having to move back to the house they had in Rocky II I think. I can understand why for plot reasons they did this, but it was ridiculous that a celebrity of Rocky's status at the time, and coming home fresh from a victory in Russia, wouldn't have been able to work out some way to pay the government back or something.

I love watching Rocky I. I'm from Philly and it's just great seeing how the city looked in the 70's. Of course I always get caught up in just how improbably that run is given the different neighborhoods he runs through to get to the Art Museum just doesn't make any sense. I didn't hate Rocky V (ducks). I never warmed to Paulie and never felt sorry for him. Even when he was causing Adrianne to go into pre-mature labor he was a jerk, just can't stand him. Did not like Rocky Balboa. Rocky really isn't the same without Adrianne.

• Love 1

I never warmed to Paulie and never felt sorry for him. Even when he was causing Adrianne to go into pre-mature labor

As much as I hate Paulie, you can't blame him for Adrian going into premature labor. That's on her, for trying to lift shit she wasn't supposed to so far into her pregnancy.

I just remembered a criticism that Adrian got throughout all the movies and again after bingewatching, I don't understand why, because it's just not true.  I remember reading, years ago, how Adrian was accused of saying in every movie "You can't win!" to Rocky, only to change her mind at the end so that Rocky would win.  Errr...that didn't happen in the first one, because, they'd just met and she was just scared for him; and she only said he could be something other than a fighter; in II, I think, wait, no. It was here, she said he could be or do something else.  She totally supported him in III, and it was only in IV she uttered that line, on the tail of Apollo getting killed and the size and strength of that walking steroid/cyborg, Drago.  And she didn't say anything like that in V, either.

Yes! I have found my people. Folks in general just don't understand my undying love for the Rocky franchise (well, not part V). As a 31 year old woman, I get a lot of strange looks when I expose my Rocky obsession, but dammit, those films are gold! The Rocky character is just hands down, one of the greatest characters in cinema --period. A lot of people don't even realize that Stallone is actually a very smart, articulate man, because they assume that he is Rocky. And I will shove the first film into the face of anyone who thinks Sly lacks talent, and then direct them to the IMDb page so they can see how many awards it won that year. 

Oh man...that first kiss!  Every time I see a topic about the best movie kisses I always list that one.  The way he carefully moves in to her and then she grabs him? *sigh*

Their chemistry is everything! The relationship is the backbone of the franchise, which is why I don't care to watch Rocky Balboa all that much. It's not that it isn't a good movie, but Adrienne being dead is heartbreaking. That scene with him at the cemetery devastated me.

• Love 3

Wow, 31?  Are you younger than the movies?  How utterly cool is that???

Rocky was my "coming of age" movie.  I was around 14 when it came out and it proved to me, very suscintly, that you could come up from nowhere and make it with sheer will and determination.

I absolutely love Sly (not so much the Rambo stuff however), but I did love Demolition Man, even though it was slightly cheesy. 

• Love 1

I confess I didn't watch any of the sequels until years after they came out and I still haven't seen IV or V. Rocky Balboa was a nice way to bring the series full circle. But it did bug me that Rocky was changed from a has-been (or a never-was) putting in one huge effort for a personal victory into one of the greatest fighters of all time. Someone who was already over the hill in the 1970's would not still be fighting--let alone giving a youthful champ a serious challenge--in the 2000's.

• Love 1

Wow, 31?  Are you younger than the movies?  How utterly cool is that???

I was born in '82 when Rocky III came out. As a result, III and IV are the two that I've seen the most, but my favorite is actually the first one. Having said that, part IV gives me that awesome nostalgia feel.

• Love 2

Well, since we're all confessing and everything, I was a wee one when I and II came out. I remember, though, seeing the neighborhood boys, shadow boxing as they talked about how great Rocky I was.

And around '82, I'm not sure why I didn't go see it, considering I was around 12. So IV was the first one for me, and after that, I saw the other three on the VCRs.  And here we are. Of course, I haven't seen Rocky Balboa, though I guess I'll have to now.

• Love 1

Rocky Balboa is pretty good. I was ready to crap all over it, but it's a solid film. That said, I don't care for the opponent he fights at all. However, one bit of casting that I thought was genius was Milo Ventimiglia as his son. They have the same mouth and everything. 

• Love 2

Nothing can top the organic Philly and characters we got in the original.  The corner singers?  Love.   Meat locker?  Literally cool.  The very best mesh of storytelling and place.

But, it's the music that lifts this to all-time classic levels for me.   I would argue to my last breath that the bell tolling at the beginning of the epic fight theme are as recognizable and stir emotion every bit as much as the forboding cellos in the Jaws theme. 

Butkus!

The thing of it?  I haaaaate Philly!  I find it to be particularly energetic in very bad ways.  The crashing of super wealth right next to genuine poverty is as stark as any I've seen.  But, the Philly that really did exist as depicted in this magnificent movie?  Aces.  

(edited)

But, it's the music that lifts this to all-time classic levels for me.   I would argue to my last breath that the bell tolling at the beginning of the epic fight theme are as recognizable and stir emotion every bit as much as the forboding cellos in the Jaws theme.

I love Conti's  "Going the Distance" theme. I especially love it when it's used in the Rocky II training montage after post-coma Adrian tells Rocky to "Win!" Cue bell ringing on the soundtrac and Mickey's going "What are waiting for!" That montage is my favorite of the series. People can diss Stalone all you want but you probably do situps while another guy karate chops their stomach!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

Ah, yes! Excellent thread! I've loved these movies since I was younger. They're just so entertaining, and the plots are fun, regardless of how much people crap all over this series for being cheesy. I don't care; this series, plus the RAMBO series, are my favourite franchises, ever. And this is from someone who owns, literally, a few thousand movies. People can say all that they want about Stallone, but the man knows his audience, and delivers the goods.

Past Clint Eastwood, Stallone is probably my favourite actor/director. He knows his movies will never be high art, but he gives the people what they want....and isn't that the point of movies? Though I thought ROCKY BALBOA allowed Sly to retire the character with dignity and class, I'm not going to lie - I'm interested in the Creed movie. Should be interesting!

• Love 1
(edited)

It's an interesting thing that on the one hand, I think the many sequels do diminish the impact of the original Rocky, which is a genuinely great movie. But on the other, it's the sequels that helped make Rocky Balboa an icon and still part of pop culture thirty years later. 

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

I liked Rocky Balboa a lot.  It ended the series on a high note I never though it would.

Rocky is the best.  I enjoy the ones after that, even if only on the unintentional comedy scale.

(edited)

I LOVED the Rocky movies. Granted they got weaker as they progressed but I was still all in. The first and second movies are my favorites. I was so in love with Rocky and Adrian and their love story. His proposal was ... just so ... Rocky ... so perfect. Even to this day, I smile brightly when he asks what she'll be doing for the next 40 or 50 years.

There is a small moment in the proposal scene that is one of my favorites of the entire series. After they kiss, Rocky talks about how he'll be a good guy. Adrian leans in for another kiss but instead of accommodating her, Rocky slaps her on the shoulder.

I also loved the scene where they are looking at the house and Rocky says he feels funny talking like this with the lights on and proceeds to tell Adrian that all this means nothing without her because without her, he wouldn't be there ... ugh!!!

Rocky's reaction to Adrian being pregnant ... I melt ... and his "oh what if its a broad" LOL! I love it.

ugh!!! This was on this weekend and I said outl oud I think Rocky and Adrian were my very first ship!  I saw/read an interview with Talia Shire I think and she said she had a cold when they filmed that kiss so part of Adrian's timidity was in fact Talia not wanting to give Sly her cold LOL

which also led to him suddenly being broke again and having to move back to the house they had in Rocky II I think. I can understand why for plot reasons they did this, but it was ridiculous that a celebrity of Rocky's status at the time, and coming home fresh from a victory in Russia, wouldn't have been able to work out some way to pay the government back or something.

They moved back to the house Adrian and Paulie lived in in Rocky I.

I thought it was crazy too that Rocky lost everything and had to go back to the old neighborhood. His name alone should have brought in cash somehow. I also found it a bit suspicious that Adrian wasn't on top of or at least aware of what was going on with the money. She showed she had sense in Rocky II when they were looking at their first house.

Edited by GodsBeloved
  • Love 1
(edited)

It was so contrived to have Rocky lose his fortune. It's one of the reasons I didn't like V. They also said Rocky couldn't do any endorsements because of his history working for a loan shark. Like WTF? What about the "Eye of the Tiger" montage in III? Although I do love the opening credits where they show the Drago fight scored by Bill Conti. Also the "Measure of a Man" song by Elton John that plays in the closing credits.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
(edited)

However, one bit of casting that I thought was genius was Milo Ventimiglia as his son. They have the same mouth and everything. 

Yes, Milo was perfect as Rocky and Adrian's son. I wish Sly had decided to do a flashback and had Adrian and grown up Rocky Jr share a scene.

I was 10 when Rocky came out and I loved Rocky II so much my mom bought me the soundtrack. Bill Conti is The Man! That theme song, Redemption, oh man I loved that music.

Edited by GodsBeloved
  • Love 2

Sylvester wrote a long essay on the album cover (yes, I am old) talking about his reaction when Bill first played the music for him. He said he couldn't believe how Bill nailed all the emotions so perfectly until he remembered that Bill is Italian. That music stirs up my soul.

• Love 2

I was 10 when Rocky came out and I loved Rocky II so much my mom bought me the soundtrack. Bill Conti is The Man! That theme song, Redemption, oh man I loved that music.

"Gonna Fly" came on the radio while I was shopping at the grocery store the other day, and I completely nerded out. Made my day.

• Love 1
(edited)

I love "Conquest" played during the fights in Rocky II and III.

My favorite scenes in the movies are the big dramatic moments with Mickey: "You can't win Rock! This guy'll kill ya to death inside of three rounds!"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

They were showing this series recently and as I thought about it, this is a really strong series I-IV. Each is unique and offers something new that the previous ones don't. Often sequels don't live up to the early versions, but each of these is just as good as the others. IV is a bit cheesy and stereotypical anti-russian, though typical of the era, in retrospect, but still an enjoyable film.

V it starts to fall apart, but I-IV are all great. I like III the best. Mr T was perfect and just great in that role.

• Love 2

IV is a bit cheesy and stereotypical anti-russian, though typical of the era, in retrospect, but still an enjoyable film.

I think one of the reasons I like IV so much is because it's like a little time capsule of the eighties. Not as strong a film as the previous three, but it's so entertaining.

• Love 1

Yo!  North Philadelphia born and raised up in here!

My favorite Rocky film was Rocky III...from Clubber Lang (that's Mr. T. to you, fool!) to Rocky's loss of confidence to the death of Mickey, it was good from start to finish.

UO, but I had the biggest crush on Paulie.

• Love 1

Almost all of the early reviews on Creed seem to be great 94% Rotten Tomatoes with 34 reviews. A couple of the YouTube reviewers I follow are saying Sly Stallone for Best Supporting Actor

• Love 1

I saw the making of it (Creed) the other day on EPIX. Looks good. Also, I don't know if Sly's facial procedures are finally settling in, or if I've become desensitized, but his face wasn't nearly as jarring in that EPIX special as it was in the last Expendables film. Also, the gray hair looks more age appropriate. 

• Love 1

The thing of it?  I haaaaate Philly!  I find it to be particularly energetic in very bad ways.  The crashing of super wealth right next to genuine poverty is as stark as any I've seen.  But, the Philly that really did exist as depicted in this magnificent movie?  Aces.  

It's been interesting to see how Philly's changed from an industrial town, into the growing affluence/gentrification. If you had told me people would pay 2k a month to live in condos in South Philly back in 2005, I would have laughed my ass off.

I mean, I grew up in Delaware so Philly's always been "the city" for me, and you can't help but feel something during the "Gonna Fly Now" montages.

• Love 1

I thought Creed was terrific.  Stallone give what may be his best-ever performance (the notion that's been floated of late of him getting a Best Supporting Actor nomination is something I could easily see happening, assuming the movie is a success, and it looks like it's going to be). Jordan is customarily good.  The main thing I remember Tessa Thompson from was her part in Season 2 of Veronica Mars, a role that I don't think ever really worked, but she's very good here (the love interest part is often thankless, but the script gives her some decent characterization).

I think the movie could have done a bit more with Mrs. Creed; I was kind of expecting her to have a scene with Rocky at some point.  But hey, there's always Creed II for that.

• Love 3

Rocky I-IV have a very special place in my heart--the first two because they are excellent films, the last two because of a teenaged crush I had on Sylvester Stallone*  By the time the last two came out, I just couldn't get excited for them anymore and rolled my eyes when I saw the first add for this one.  When I heard all of the praise, my interest was peaked enough to go see it.  I loved it.  Another excellent film to continue the saga.  I absolutely agree with the nomination talk for Stallone and wouldn't be surprised to see another nomination as well--maybe for screenplay. 

I liked the small call backs to the first one and I cried over a couple of them.  As a hopeless romantic, I loved the sequence in Rocky II where he sat and struggled through reading to Adrianne while she was in the coma, so when he sat at her graveside and snapped open the paper, the tears started.  And, speaking of him being illiterate in the first one:  Did anyone catch the subtle moment when he was writing out a training plan for Donnie and when he said "shadow boxing", Donnie said "o. w."?  Also:  I only saw one turtle. I wonder if that was Cuff or Link (or a new one)?

I was wondering what they would do at the end and thinking that they were between a rock and a hard place.  Since they couldn't have the underdog lose to a KO, they had two choices:  have him win, which would have been a bit cliche ("of course he won!  *eyeroll*) or have him lose by vote, which was pretty much a carbon copy of the first one.  I didn't mind that they went that route at all.  I loved that they waited to use the Rocky theme until the last rounds. 

*I saw the movies out of order since I was only 7 when the first one came out.  I saw Rocky III first, thus began my love of Sylvester Stallone. 

• Love 2

I loved that they waited to use the Rocky theme until the last rounds. 

I thought that was really great restraint on their part, I thought they could have easily done it when they showed Donnie running his grey jogging suit, but instead of recreating that run, they had Donnie doing his own thing with the hill and the motorbikes.

It would have been just too much if they had done that.

I also really liked that Bianca wasn't shy and retiring, like Adrian, and that Adonis was educated, unlike Rocky. The dynamic just felt really different, and that was a good thing.

I just loved how much this felt like Philly.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

I thought that was really great restraint on their part, I thought they could have easily done it when they showed Donnie running his grey jogging suit, but instead of recreating that run, they had Donnie doing his own thing with the hill and the motorbikes.

It would have been just too much if they had done that.

I also really liked that Bianca wasn't shy and retiring, like Adrian, and that Adonis was educated, unlike Rocky. The dynamic just felt really different, and that was a good thing.

I just loved how much this felt like Philly.

I wondered why they gave her hearing loss though, which didn't seem to have any relevance to anything. I heard someone say that if the original Rocky came out today, people would be so baffled by Adrian's character that they would think there was something wrong with her, that she was slow or something. And I half wondered if maybe they already do, and that's why the director gave Bianca some kind of physical handicap as a weird way of tying her to Adrian, who he saw as having a "disability" on some level.

Actually, I didn't think the girlfriend stuff was necessary in this. The heart of the movie was the relationship between Rocky and Donny. I know the love story is a big part of the old Rocky, but the reason that was so effective was because of how original it was to see a character like Adrian on the screen as a love interest. You would NEVER see someone like her in a movie today- there was nothing cliched about that relationship. I still marvel at it. Major studios would balk at absolutely everything about the Adrian character now, from her behavior to her casting, everything.

Edited by Ruby25

I wondered why they gave her hearing loss though, which didn't seem to have any relevance to anything.

It creates parallels between her and Adonis, in terms of pursuing a dream in the face of obstacles (including potential future health consequences, in his case).

by Adrian's character that they would think there was something wrong with her, that she was slow or something.

It was mentioned IN Rocky that the neighborhood DID think Adrian was slow/cognitively disabled, when she was just socially awkward/introverted. So the audience was meant to assume something was wrong with her only to find that she was perfectly sharp, and certainly smarter than everyone in her neighborhood, and you admire Rocky because he doesn't actually care and thinks she's the be all, end all no matter what.

I thoroughly enjoyed Creed, and hope Coogler/Jordan/Stallone who get into the awards mix (at the very very least a Golden Globe),I particularly liked when Rocky tells Adonis about his relationship with his son, and how both men are searching for a missing piece, and find it in a familial relationship with each other. I cried for the last five minutes straight. 

I do think it's been a touch OVER praised/hyped, it's a classic Rocky movie, and better than most of the sequels, but it's essentially a remake of Rocky 1 with a new character at the center with slightly different challenges but the same beats are all hit to the last bell.

• Love 1

I know the love story is a big part of the old Rocky, but the reason that was so effective was because of how original it was to see a character like Adrian on the screen as a love interest. You would NEVER see someone like her in a movie today- there was nothing cliched about that relationship. I still marvel at it. Major studios would balk at absolutely everything about the Adrian character now, from her behavior to her casting, everything.

Their relationship is one of my favorite movie romances.  Probably because I was shy and introverted and blushed every time a good looking guy looked at me  :)

I thoroughly enjoyed Creed, and hope Coogler/Jordan/Stallone who get into the awards mix (at the very very least a Golden Globe),I particularly liked when Rocky tells Adonis about his relationship with his son, and how both men are searching for a missing piece, and find it in a familial relationship with each other. I cried for the last five minutes straight.

I cried a lot in the last 5 minutes, too.  I was also sad when Rocky was talking about his son knowing that his son in real life died a few years ago.  And when Donnie said that he had to prove that he wasn't a mistake?  I don't know why I didn't figure that out before--it should have been obvious, but almost gasped when he said that. 

• Love 2

It was mentioned IN Rocky that the neighborhood DID think Adrian was slow/cognitively disabled, when she was just socially awkward/introverted. So the audience was meant to assume something was wrong with her only to find that she was perfectly sharp, and certainly smarter than everyone in her neighborhood, and you admire Rocky because he doesn't actually care and thinks she's the be all, end all no matter what.

I do think it's been a touch OVER praised/hyped, it's a classic Rocky movie, and better than most of the sequels, but it's essentially a remake of Rocky 1 with a new character at the center with slightly different challenges but the same beats are all hit to the last bell.

Agree with you 100% about Adrian's character, Blixie. Half the fun was watching her come out of her shell, and be the person she was always capable of being.

As entertaining as this new movie was was, especially because I used to live in Philly and loved seeing the sights, I also agree with you that the reviews might be a tad too glowing (lots of love for Stallone, perhaps?). If anything, I would call this a very good movie that you could easily wait until it leaves the theaters to see, especially if you are not a die-hard Rocky fan.

ETA: I think they added Bianca's hearing disability to 1) flesh out her character with something specific, and 2) have a plot point the writers can revisit in multiple ways during any potential sequels. A musician not already deaf, but in the process of going deaf - oh, the Beethoven-esque irony, eh?

Edited by A Boston Gal
  • Love 1

I loved Creed. It set it's own path. I loved that they didn't climb the Rocky Steps until after the fight, and that they did it in the manner they did. I loved that Gonna Fly Now was only used sparingly. I loved that they gave a conclusion to Paulie. Though I did miss Duke, and no real explanation was given for him being gone and his only allusion was that Avon Barksdale was his son and now in the family business.

The acting was first rate by everyone. Stallone gave as much emotion to the character as he ever has, and you felt every beat of his. His desire not to pursue chemo, his reluctance to get back into the gym, how much he still loved Adrian. The motivations of the other characters were all present too, and I loved the acting by the "young Adonis" you could feel the anger he had inside of him, and his softening when Mary Anne.

But the cinematography was just superb. Coogler knows when to go tight vs. when to let the environment speak. And the single take fight (while a touch showy) is just incredible. It's the Anti-Michael Bay style. Oh and the shot of him "fighting" Apollo against the projector? Incredible.

I agree the split-decision loss is really the best way you can go with the result of the final fight. Still as Rocky and Rocky Balboa both ended that way, it does feel a bit like we've been down that path.

I think I'm going to start setting my PINs in order of my favorite Rocky Films (1,3,7,2,4,6,5 --- there's a lot of distance to between 6 and 5 there) and F&F Movies (5,6,1,7,3,2,4)

I loved that Gonna Fly Now was only used sparingly.

I thought I heard strains of that song!

Oh and the shot of him "fighting" Apollo against the projector? Incredible.

That was a great shot.

Remember, I didn't see 5 or 6, so my order would be:  1, 2, 7, 3, 4.

And it is possible that my love for this one was pushed up a notch due to being sentimental about the first two.

• Love 1

First off, I'm only a casual watcher of the Rocky franchise.  I've seen every film once, and then I will occasionally watch scenes again if they are on TV, but I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan.  My biggest memories are the shock (since I managed to remain unspoiled) of Rocky actually losing in the first one (avoiding a cliche of him somehow beating the superior Apollo Creed), but still working as a happy ending since he did "go the distance", and then hilarious camp of the fourth one, especially Ivan Drago, one of my favorite cheesy antagonists of all time ("I must break you!"  Classic line delivery from Dolph Lundgren right there.)

All that said, I thought Creed was just freaking awesome.  It had just enough similarities to the first Rocky to work as part of the overall franchise, but I also thought it went down its own path too, and it felt refreshing compared to the last Rocky films (even though I think Rocky Balboa was a respectable way to end the full-fledge Rocky sequels.)  But I thought they did a good job incorporating all the big icon stuff without being too on the nose: the classic music, the steps, Apollo Creed montage, and the mentions of Paulie.

Acting wise, no surprise that Michael B. Jordan nailed it, since he is probably one of the biggest rising stars now.  He more then carried this film and I imagine this is only going to be the beginning for him (bonus: certainly will wipe away some of the memory of him being "associated" with the Fantastic Four remake this year.)  Sly Stallone though, floored me.  I really did not know he had this in him.  He had moments were he was capable and even good (first Rocky film), but I think this was his best work yet.  He really sold this older, beaten-down, and vulnerable Rocky.  I think it helped that someone else wrote this because while I don't think Sly is a bad guy or anything, I have a sense that he does have an ego, and anytime he's heavily involved in the writing, he tends to make his characters seem larger then life.  But I think Ryan Coogler avoided that and I'm glad Sly went with it, instead of trying to fight it. I certainly hope he gets an Oscar nod.

Going in, I figured the romance stuff would be the worst of it, but while it still wasn't my favorite part, I actually enjoyed Bianca more compared to the norm.  A lot of it was I just like Tessa Thompson's performance and the easy-going interactions between her and Jordan.  Also giving the character things like a music career and her hearing problems, made her feel more like a person instead of just wallpaper.

I do wish we got more of Mary Anne, especially a scene between her and Rocky.  But Phylicia Rashad made the most of it.  Fun seeing Graham McTavish (who was actually in Rambo with Sly) and Richie Coster doing what they do best: being sneaky and sleazy corner-men for Adonis' opponents.

I liked that instead of a "rags to riches" story, Adonis was already well-off thanks to being adopted, and that ended even being an issue, since it sounded like the reason that one guy played by Wood Harris (The Wire reunion!) didn't want to train him was that he didn't believe he would have the fire compared to everyone who had it rougher.

I also thought for sure that the Wheeler guy was going to end up being the final opponent after he humiliated Adonis and took his car, so it still being "Pretty" Ricky, was a cool.  I do wonder if they're setting up a rematch for Adonis/Wheeler, if this series continues. 

The fight scenes were great: especially the one with Adonis and Young Sporino, which I'm pretty sure was only one take.

Well done, everyone.  Can't wait to see where they go with this next.

• Love 1