Type keyword(s) to search

Whatever Happened to the Old Haunt and Other Show Related Mysteries

Deeda

Do we know if he's going to ComicCon this year? (When is ComicCon? Will they have started filming?) Is Zach Levi doing NerdHerd? I think NerdHerd looks better than ComicCon - less commercial and more personal. I hope he keeps it going.

Looks like this year it's from 7/24 to 7/27 and Nerd HQ is at the same time. I think he was at Nerd HQ on the weekend dates and some general panel at comic con but I don't remember the what day of the week comic con vids were from. I hope he does Nerd HQ again. That mystery panel was entertaining to watch.

Yep, Nathan came back to One Life To Live when Phil Carey [a.k.a Asa Buchanan] passed away. It was great to see him back on that set and sharing scenes w. Erika, Robin, Robert, John, and Dan.  PS: Nathan got to work w. and share scenes w. one of the greatest [some soaps fans may say the greatest] actresses in daytime television history, 6 time Emmy award winner, Erika Slezak. If that isn't a master class of acting than I don't know what is. I love that Nathan gives props to his daytime roots and how they honed his acting skills. 

Some comments on comments:

Often throughout the last two seasons it's been a lack of basic gentle touching or kissing at key moments that gets to me not the fact I don't get to see them rolling around in bed that often.   - verdant

I thought of a subtle bit of byplay today. Beckett brings Castle coffee in bed. When he reaches out for it, she unties her (red lace?) bra from his wrist. They exchange smiles and keep talking about the new day.

I think he's delivered moving, powerful (but often subtle at the same time) performances in dramatic moments when the script has been more challenging madmaverick
In Firefly (Yeah, I'm a Browncoat) two of his most powerful lines were in the premiere episodes.  His "Yeah, we win." which said everything about how the enthusiastic happy go lucky soldier had changed in the six years since his war ended. And in "The Train Job", the other premiere episode,  his "Darn" as a response to threats from a Big Bad's sneering minion tells the watcher a lot about his limited choices.
He does those one word throwaways fairly often on Castle, but usually for comic effect. He'll be in full manic flow and someone will correct him . "Point taken." and I collapse in giggles.

Worst case, she doesn't and can only get small roles in indies and gradually disappears.  -break 21
Which would be very sad, but is often the situation for thirtysomething actresses.  It's cruel, but interesting to read the parts of Wikipedia entries for some actors (male or female) and notice that even fairly established names may go over a year without a part. They seem to survive on voice work.

As related to Stana and Nathan, he jumped in and just started working, while she has a masters degree in acting from DePaul. Very different approaches indeed. georgie NY
Well, while he was hired by an American soap a few months before he finished his degree, he had been acting, and taking Drama as a minor, at university, as well as working with an improv troupe that he still works with during the Edmonton Fringe Festival.

And may also be why NF will have a longer career, since he seems to be someone who makes friends and keeps them and has been doing that for nearly a quarter of a century.

https://twitter.com/...421698259267584

And now we knowwhere that nose came from.

(edited)

Not shocked by Nathan's comments it's the kind of thing I'd expect him to say TBH, he always seems to love coming out with things like that.

Yeah, but actors are a strange breed. What the fans like, they may not and vice versa. I even sat through another show and had this scenario happen. Still pisses me off when I think of it, but the actor wanted the character to die. I guess actors like the endings that go for the jugular or whatever and leave an impression. Positive or negative, as long as people talk about it.

This kind of reminds me of that comment Nathan made post finale on twitter about it not mattering what you feel but that you feel something at all. I disagree with that, I don't want to feel deflated and pissed off that's an emotion I can do without out experiencing on a regular basis when it comes to this show. 

Edited by verdana
This kind of reminds me of that comment Nathan made post finale on twitter about it not mattering what you feel but that you feel something at all. I disagree with that, I don't want to feel deflated and pissed off that's an emotion I can do without out experiencing on a regular basis when it comes to this show.

Hey, I pretty much agree. But my post you quoted was written, perhaps, with the mindset of actors and TPTB. I, too, as a frame of reference, used to watch soaps. And in that community, as disheartening as it is, the "positive or negative" mantra still bears fruit. Those involved don't care if a viewer is pissed or elated, as much as they just want some reaction, any reaction. It's frustrating (and finally drove me away from that genre), but the attitude is still out there, and I don't think it just applies to soaps nowadays.

Especially when broadcast TV is fighting to stay relevant in the midst of cable TV dominance. And whomever thought that would have happened 20 years ago? The times, they really are a'changin'.

• Love 1

I think some people need to take NF's tweets less seriously.  It's his sense of humour, which people may or may not enjoy YMMV, but that's always been his style of tweeting.  I know some people want to hear earnest, lovey-dovey shipperly remarks from him on Caskett etc., but it's just not him.  And I imagine actors may have different perspectives on their characters than fans do, or may look at the whole picture of the show differently.

So apparently, the show submitted Deep Cover and ITBOTB on the Emmy ballot for writing.  Not what I would have picked, but there's no way they'll be nominated anyway, and tbh, the writing doesn't merit it.  I wonder if AM, as the boss, designates that one of the episodes he writes always ends up on the ballot (despite them not being the best written ones imo)?  Good to see TPW get a nod with Deep Cover, but I would have picked N1F.  Veritas was definitely much stronger than ITBOTB imo, which was a bit of an overrated melodramatic mess.

The writing is actually so strong on many other shows, especially the cable ones, but also a network show like TGW, and there are so many other shows which get more attention from the media/industry, I wouldn't be surprised if the better writers jumped ship if they could.

• Love 2

Maybe it just means he hates the character, and that's why he sometimes doesn't put any effort into his scenes. But that kind of sucks for everyone involved.

He said the same about Captain Mal in this interview. I doubt he hates him. It's part joke part a stamp of ownership, so closer to love than hate. Anyway his tweets are almost always humorous, I wouldn't advise to read any sort of statements into them.

• Love 1

I agree.  I think that what he said very much applies to visual art, but applying it to TV is a mistake.  A painting or a photograph should power an emotion, whether it's good or bad.  However, when it comes to TV, the important thing is that you "feel something at all....that makes you want to come back."  TV can't torture its viewers or it will lose its viewers pretty quickly.  Soap operas have been in a free fall in ratings in recent years and I suspect viewer torture is part of why..   People want to feel good and they've found other places besides soaps to go to get that good feeling.  With still art if you feel a negative emotion, you can say, "oh well" and walk on.  With TV, you watch every week and your characters' experiences become yours in some small way.  You invest your time and thus yourself in the shows and the characters' emotions.  So it's different.

I think it's crappy for Nathan to say he wants Castle or Mal killed off in the end for any reason.  I don't care if he's kidding.  Again, it's because people come to care about these characters.  The writers have a choice in whether to keep the characters around, so it's shitty to opt to kill them.  Of course, I don't think Castle or Mal will be killed.  Both could come back far beyond Nathan's career and the powers that be know this.

Also, a small correction.  Nathan gets and keeps friends unless they are his girlfriend.  His girlfriends eventually unfollow him on Twitter and likely never want to speak to him again.  I think Nathan is someone I'd very much enjoy having as a friend, but would never -- EVER date.  It's a good thing for him that Hollywood is yet another male-dominated industry.

• Love 1
(edited)
I think it's crappy for Nathan to say he wants Castle or Mal killed off in the end for any reason.  I don't care if he's kidding.

And I think it's absolutely normal for him to say that, especially if he's kidding. Actors have right to feel whatever they like about their characters -- be it love, possessiveness, or irony, without being judged and chastisted for their feelings. Try to take it easy, maybe?

His girlfriends eventually unfollow him on Twitter and likely never want to speak to him again.

Sorry, but this is not true. It his interview of 2011 he said that he was still in touch with 90% of his ex-girlfriends, and it definitely looked that way at the moment. His former fiancee Vanessa Marcil spoke very highly of him and even mentioned him with gratitude as one of the best people she had ever met in her Emmy acceptance speech about 10 years after their break-up. He's still on very good terms with Tricia Helfer, whom he dated over 10 years ago, and with Emma Danoff, whom he dated fairly recently. And so on. If his latest relationships ended on bad terms, it may have something to do with his increased popularity, wealth, connections, etc. The more famous he becomes, the harder is for him to find a woman who would want to be with him for the right reasons, I guess. 

Edited by Karen
  • Love 2

We may all have our opinions on the actors' personal lives (and relationships with each other) based on the very little part of the picture we glean from their public personas, but let's not forget that we don't actually know these people or know about stuff that's actually happened to them. ;)   The more I see of some in the fandom judging and making assumptions and conclusions about actors' personal lives, the more tiresome I find it.  And honestly, some people have no sense of boundaries these days, both in cyberspace and in the physical sense.  I find it disturbing that people would ask NF for a kiss publicly, or track down SK's hotel in Italy until they get what they want, not to mention all the twitter abuse. ;)  If actors don't give "fans" what they want, they're at risk of being called all sorts of names.  Some people forget that they're just human and need their privacy and down time like the rest of us.  They have no obligation beyond doing their jobs on set.

• Love 7

We may all have our opinions on the actors' personal lives (and relationships with each other) based on the very little part of the picture we glean from their public personas, but let's not forget that we don't actually know these people or know about stuff that's actually happened to them. ;)   The more I see of some in the fandom judging and making assumptions and conclusions about actors' personal lives, the more tiresome I find it.  And honestly, some people have no sense of boundaries these days, both in cyberspace and in the physical sense.  I find it disturbing that people would ask NF for a kiss publicly, or track down SK's hotel in Italy until they get what they want, not to mention all the twitter abuse. ;)  If actors don't give "fans" what they want, they're at risk of being called all sorts of names.  Some people forget that they're just human and need their privacy and down time like the rest of us.  They have no obligation beyond doing their jobs on set.

Preach it MadMaverick. Couldn't have said it better. 

(edited)

mad maverick. Definitely not expecting anything shippery from Nathan that's for sure. Heh. His favourite episode of Castle is Heartbreak Hotel which kind of sums it up (a shippers delight it is not) but he did get to have fun with the boys and dress up as Elvis. *shudder*

As for the fans some of the things they demand from actors can make me wince with embarrassment.

So apparently, the show submitted Deep Cover and ITBOTB on the Emmy ballot for writing.  Not what I would have picked, but there's no way they'll be nominated anyway, and tbh, the writing doesn't merit it.  I wonder if AM, as the boss, designates that one of the episodes he writes always ends up on the ballot (despite them not being the best written ones imo)?  Good to see TPW get a nod with Deep Cover, but I would have picked N1F.  Veritas was definitely much stronger than ITBOTB imo, which was a bit of an overrated melodramatic mess.

ITBOTB it was a giant turn off for me I also found it overrated. Veritas was better but even those two can't hold a candle to some of the quality writing out there on other shows. I have no idea why some fans get their hopes about the Emmys when Castle is not the kind of show that is ever going to get nominated let alone win anything. 

Edited by verdana

I think some people need to take NF's tweets less seriously.  It's his sense of humour, which people may or may not enjoy YMMV, but that's always been his style of tweeting.  I know some people want to hear earnest, lovey-dovey shipperly remarks from him on Caskett etc., but it's just not him.  

I don't know about anyone else, but I wasn't taking his tweet that seriously.  I was just amused because on the surface it sounds bad to wish something that all the viewers would hate.  But I was kidding (sort of) about it meaning he hated his job, I don't really think it has some deeper meaning.  And I am not actually upset with Nathan because of what he said. 

I agree.  I think that what he said very much applies to visual art, but applying it to TV is a mistake.  A painting or a photograph should power an emotion, whether it's good or bad.  However, when it comes to TV, the important thing is that you "feel something at all....that makes you want to come back."  

Excellent point.  Marlowe has said things along the same lines as Nathan....about how people like to be upset about what the characters are doing.  And I guess in some ways, if it effects you in a negative way it is still art.  The whole hate isn't the opposite of love, indifference is.  But, TV is a continuing story, and making people constantly feel bad is eventually going to make them stop watching.

• Love 1

Jerry Tyson/Michael Mosley's cable sitcom Sirens just got renewed for a second season (yeah! funny show), which may impact his availability to terrorize Caskett next season.

Jerry Tyson/Michael Mosley's cable sitcom Sirens just got renewed for a second season (yeah! funny show), which may impact his availability to terrorize Caskett next season.

Well I hope Marlowe knew that before he planned his "new mythology."  It would annoy me even more if they did all this and then can't even follow through.

I don't think Michael Mosley having a show will impact any appearances on Castle, not if they don't want it to. It's a USA show and it's only a 10 episode season. They filmed the first season from July to October(? I think), so if they followed that precedent after that he'd be free. And depending on his filming schedule, he might be able to do both. They got Darby Stanchfield to come back to be Meredith while she was filming Scandal.

I'd love to see him back on Castle. I'm not super invested in the 3XK storyline, but he does psycho-guy-next-door creepy well and I think someone like 3XK as the show's big bad makes more sense than someone like Bracken, so I hope it works out if Marlowe plans to make 3XK the one that killed Castle and Beckett's Hampton's wedding.

That's good news about Mosley that he can probably fit some filming in if necessary. 3XK is the predictable choice for Marlowe but it makes more sense than some of the other ideas I've heard like a new big bad coming out of nowhere suddenly. It really needs to be someone who they've both had past issues with to not feel like yet another dumb move on the part of the writers. 

I'd like for Michael Mosley to come back and be the big bad until mid-season. 3 to 4 episode. Then the mid-season finale could be a 2 parter w. Dana Delaney returning as Agt. Jordan Shaw  and she helps Beckett/Castle & the NYPD catch 3XK once and for all. Just my opinion. Likely won't happen b/c Marlowe likes to drag shit out. 

I'd love Jordan Shaw to return, the two parters haven't done much for me over the last 2-3 seasons but if they brought her back I'd be thrilled. She was such a great guest star and I thought she had a real rapport with Castle and Beckett.

3XK needs to be put out of his misery, it's gone past the point of believability and the story is just not that interesting any more.  All serial killers tend to go down the same predictable road on TV shows (Bones did it with Pelant) and yet showrunners seem addicted to them and continue the story arc well past their sell by date.

(edited)

Marlowe “new” mythology just means a marriage delay in order to avoid writing them as a couple. Any further delay, once the reason for the cliffhanger is resolved, doesn’t make a lot of sense after spending an entire season on wedding planning. Injecting more stories that need to be told now before they finally get married is just total avoidance. IMO. Our couple was 20 minutes from getting married, but now Marlowe tells us that there are still other stories to be told prior to their marriage. What stories? How in the world can ABC let him lose the audience going into Season 7 given the new competition next fall? I can’t imagine viewers waiting very long before dropping off when they realize no wedding in near future.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1

The problem I have with 3xyz is: where does he get the money?

Hiring the Castle double was one thing, but them he bought expensive jewellry (IIRC $28,000) to be left behind at a crime scene. Then all that surgery and lessons for the Lanie and Espo doubles, plus the cost of the apartment and furs?

Is he John Dupont's crazier brother?

The problem I have with 3xyz is: where does he get the money?

Hiring the Castle double was one thing, but them he bought expensive jewellry (IIRC $28,000) to be left behind at a crime scene. Then all that surgery and lessons for the Lanie and Espo doubles, plus the cost of the apartment and furs?

Is he John Dupont's crazier brother?

If he can pull off all these murders and other super-villian things, surely he can rob a bank or two.

Our couple was 20 minutes from getting married, but now Marlowe tells us that there are still other stories to be told prior to their marriage. What stories? How in the world can ABC let him lose the audience going into Season 7 given the new competition next fall? I can’t imagine viewers waiting very long before dropping off when they realize no wedding in near future.

This is what I don't get.  He had a whole season to tell stories about them before they were married.  He chose not to tell anything really interesting.  What's changed now?  At least give fans a wedding, even if it will be followed by boring storylines.  That's better than boring storylines and no wedding.

Hopefully he is just messing with fans with that comment.  And that ABC tells him to cut the crap.

And that ABC tells him to cut the crap.

Which isn't happening since the finale ratings were decent. And it's about $$$$$. Storytelling be damned. Especially since TPTB always have to get permission for story arcs to begin with, which means ABC signed off on Marlowe's hackery.

Which isn't happening since the finale ratings were decent. And it's about $$$$$. Storytelling be damned. Especially since TPTB always have to get permission for story arcs to begin with, which means ABC signed off on Marlowe's hackery.

Yep, looking at this chart from Vulture Castle isn't doing bad compare to other shows on abc and probably why the network is letting him do whatever.

I find it totally hilarious that we're supposed to be protecting the privacy of individuals that post shit on twitter. It's inherently counter interituive to post nonsense to 2 million people and then demand privacy. You can't have it both ways. If you post and use social media to move forward your agenda or musings then you've got to own that. You can't just post something douchy and expect people to respect your privacy. It's absurd. That twitter comment is almost as annoying as watching him slap his costars when they flub their lines. I would have punched that assclown before the end of the first season. But, ya know, mileage and all that.

I think it's an interesting move that they're releasing The Scene now and not at the end of the series (for all the seasons as a box set) as I had originally thought. It must be because of two things: 1) the lack of goodwill from the fans after that fuckery they call a finale (and an overall lousy season) and 2) the #respectheprocess gate. I don't think Hacklowe even considered that it would turn into the disaster it became. And I take delight in knowing that I could be a part of it in some small way. I still contend that it was bullshit that only a select hundred people or so should be the only ones to see it. Why should I have seen it and you all didn't? Because it was a talk for "writers" and not just fans? I practice medicine for gods sake. To me it speaks to their whole way of doing this show. HackMar is so busy #respectingtheprocess that they don't respect their fans. I don't need those two fools telling me what I want instead of what I need. Get a grip.

And just an all around comment: if your job is to act then you damned well not look bored while doing it. Remember that time when Brian Cranston or James Spader or Kevin Spacey looked bored while on camera? Oh wait. That goes for anyone performing on any show.

(edited)

If he can pull off all these murders and other super-villian things, surely he can rob a bank or two.

Or win the lottery.  Now that would be a fun episode...the one where Marlowe explains that 3xK won a Powerball jackpot.  For most people the lottery is the "stupid tax".  But for 3xK, the super villain?  Piece o' cake.  He's done it more than once even!

Edited by TVWithPity
(edited)

TVLine: What Happened To Detective Sully? #Castle http://t.co/owzRS9kAS0

That is so bloody lazy but I can't say I'm surprised. Marlowe made such a big deal of Sully being an obstacle to her return to her original post and then when he resolves it he can't even be arsed to write one line to explain where he went.  He clearly doesn't give a shit, characters can just come and go with no explanation despite making an entire story arc involving them. 

The question I would really like them to give ask Marlowe if they're busy doing S6 "housekeeping" is how did Kate's marriage manage to sail under the radar for fifteen bloody years without any one noticing despite working for the NYPD and the feds? Why don't they ask him about that.     

Edited by verdana

This is what I don't get.  He had a whole season to tell stories about them before they were married.  He chose not to tell anything really interesting.  What's changed now?  At least give fans a wedding, even if it will be followed by boring storylines.  That's better than boring storylines and no wedding.

3XK is a super villain and that will answer all questions and can "explain" away every plot hole. No wonder Marlowe loves this guy because it's perfect for him can be even more slapdash than usual. 

As for the "more stories to tell before they get married" bullshit that's so obviously a stalling tactic. Yeah what stories exactly? I can't think of any that would need to be told prior to them becoming a married couple. Seems to be yet more evidence that Marlowe doesn't know how to write them romantically so he's clutching at straws trying to find ways to stall the inevitable for a few more months and create some unnecessary drama instead. I can't see that ploy working too well, fans will soon know they're being strung along for no reason and I can see a lot of general viewers quickly getting bored and saving Castle for later viewing and watching something else live instead. 

(edited)

The “more stories” crap puts us back in Season 4 "Cops & Robbers" territory followed by “Heartbreak Hotel” (FBFW) with just more obvious stalling to avoid moving them past the actual marriage step. Maybe what needs to happen is for viewer numbers to drop so dramatically after episodes 2-3 in order for ABC to get the message that AWM needs to go. I just worry that we will get some kind of Castle amnesia scenario which will just kill the ratings. IMO

Edited by VinceW

That is so bloody lazy but I can't say I'm surprised. Marlowe made such a big deal of Sully being an obstacle to her return to her original post and then when he resolves it he can't even be arsed to write one line to explain where he went.  He clearly doesn't give a shit, characters can just come and go with no explanation despite making an entire story arc involving them.

Did Marlowe make a big deal out of Sully? Or about Sully being an obstacle to Beckett's return? I don't remember that at all. What I do remember was him making a comment about how it might be harder for her to pick up where she left off, because they couldn't just keep a spot open indefinitely. That makes sense ... they can't have this ghost of Beckett hanging around when she chose to leave. And they dealt with in Number One Fan by having Gates realize that Beckett was someone she wanted on her team and when the opportunity arose to make it happen (by opening up money in the budget), she took it. It might have been sloppy, but it was there.

Sully was by no means a story arc. Beckett being in DC was a story arc and that life at the precinct moved on without her, and Sully was a tiny part of that.

Maybe what needs to happen is for viewer numbers to drop so dramatically after episodes 2-3 in order for ABC to get the message that AWM needs to go. I just worry that we will get some kind of Castle amnesia scenario which will just kill the ratings. IMO

Can't have it both ways. If you want the ratings to drop enough to have ABC want to can Marlowe, but don't want the ratings to drop ... I think everyone is SOL. But it's unlikely that the ratings drop would get Marlowe fired. It's much more likely that a ratings drop would just get Castle cancelled, and I definitely don't want that.  Better the devil you know than the devil you don't, IMO.

Castle, like Bones on Fox, is not a water cooler show. It is a dependable utility player with a vocal, albeit small perhaps, devoted audience.

But if some hope that Andrew Marlowe would get the heave ho if ratings sink, as said above, it's a pipe dream. All that would happen is Castle goes to the land of canceled TV shows. It's already going on 7 seasons in, it's likely more expensive now, and it will never garner awards like the edgy cable shows can and do.

It seems ABC is good with letting the show coast to its eventual conclusion. Whether the fans will like it or even stick around to see it is another story.

(edited)

Is there any inside data that reveals how much (or how little, as in my case) that viewers of this show care about their relationship?  

I began watching only periodically the past few years due to the lousy writing and lazy acting by NF - It's all so badly done at this point, I'm not sure how they can tell why someone may drop out as a viewer, given that not everyone is online about the show or even if they are, comments about the show. 

If it were still have sparkly as it was in Season 1, I'd have hung in there and I don't care a bit about the relationship which seems to be dragging it all down as the writers haven't a clue about how to write it.  

Edited by Lee4U
Is there any inside data that reveals how much (or how little, as in my case) that views of this show care about their relationship?

Well, at TWoP, I wasn't shy saying how I watched the show in spite of the C/B "romance". But I had never seen sparks, ever. I stuck around for NF, Castle family stuff (which is now scarce), and the humor and the cases, which are now weak, weak, weak.

But - and not to ever defend Marlowe - some of the decline is simple age. The newness is long gone. And all shows eventually do hit the wall, some harder than others.

Can't have it both ways. If you want the ratings to drop enough to have ABC want to can Marlowe, but don't want the ratings to drop ... I think everyone is SOL. But it's unlikely that the ratings drop would get Marlowe fired. It's much more likely that a ratings drop would just get Castle cancelled, and I definitely don't want that.

Point taken about the devil you know, but I don’t think the new head of ABC entertainment would give up the Monday timeslot that easily. If the new season starts off poorly (2-3 episodes), there would be time for TPTB to fix it by forcing Marlowe to change things or replace him. NCIS has done it with much success.
Point taken about the devil you know, but I don’t think the new head of ABC entertainment would give up the Monday timeslot that easily. If the new season starts off poorly (2-3 episodes), there would be time for TPTB to fix it by forcing Marlowe to change things or replace him. NCIS has done it with much success.

But NCIS has much higher ratings. Ratings equal money. That is what networks salivate over.

As for the Monday slot, if Castle declines, ABC can easily try to nurture a new show - as it did Castle - and move Castle to a lesser night, a.k.a. Friday, or whatever. Or, as I said, ABC just axes it. ABC signed off on all of Marlowe's stuff thus far and the finale ratings were okay. So clearly ABC is fine with status quo and if it ever isn't, sayonara, Castle.

I can't think of any that would need to be told prior to them becoming a married couple.

I can think of lots of conversations they should have already had - money, prenup, Castle's fame (which they sort of skipped over in Limelight), Kate moving into the loft.  But since they already had a wedding planned, we have to assume they already had those conversations off screen, and they were just to private for us to hear. 

I'm not putting too much stock in "there are more stories to tell" being a way to stall the marriage. I never thought that big to do wedding was happening for them. The clues where there the entire season.

I never thought they were the type for a big wedding, and I don't care if the elope just the two of them....assuming that does happen soon into S7.  Dragging it out makes no sense at this point.  Seriously, I can't think of why they would wait any longer.  Castle almost dying should make them rush to do it.  Unless he has amnesia or some kind of trauma.  But how do they sustain that more than one episode?

I'l be pretty annoyed if they spend all of S7 apart, then get married with no build up in a series finale.  That's my worst case scenario I think.

As for ratings, the problem is they're going to film 4-5 episodes before the season even premieres.  It takes a while to take effect.

Is there any inside data that reveals how much (or how little, as in my case) that viewers of this show care about their relationship?

Not in it for the relationship or romance either. It could have been a nice side effect but the way it was handled over the past two seasons, I associate boredom, irritation and character derailment with Caskett’s relationship milestones. Can’t help it, and reading Marlowe’s interviews wasn’t necessarily of any benefit. So part of the irritation is on me… and the posters on TWOP who gave me easy access with just one click on a link :-)

Well I guess it really depends on if you think what we saw in the finale was real. I think the last two episodes were a dream.

I shall hope not! At least not the out of thin air car accident on which I (irrationally) base my hope for character improvement, family moments improvement, continuity improvement, supporting cast developing improvement, lighting improvement and Fillion facial hair improvement (until it’s time to shave again :-)

But wishful thinking aside, the way I interpreted Marlowe’s last interview, he is done with the Johanna Beckett murder mythology and actively pursuing a new one. And him citing a living example/ influence for the already married nonsense doesn’t bode well either, IMO.

(edited)

Well I guess it really depends on if you think what we saw in the finale was real. I think the last two episodes were a dream. I know some people think Marlowe is a hack but come on...after all that to wrap up her mom's murder in that pretty little insane bow?

I don't think so. I think we will see a roll back of Beckett running to the car on fire and then she will wake up. And we go from there.

If fans were unsure of Marlowe's hack credentials they'll soon be shouting it from the rooftops if your scenario pans out and we find out it's all been a dream. Worse, erasing Veritas too along with the finale would really put the cat amongst the pigeons considering how well received that episode was in comparison.  Not only would he piss off those who enjoyed it but he'd annoy all those relieved that the Bracken case - which seemed to have dragged on forever - had finally concluded.

Edited by verdana

I think they could do it without making Veritas not real. Before the end of her mom's case, that was what was holding her back most. She had gotten to a place where she had accepted that she could have her own life without having justice for her mom, but she wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to get that closure if it presented itself.

So Veritas happens and she gets the closure for herself and the justice for her mom. But then there's this dream scenario that happens and her mind goes crazy with every possible thing that could go wrong to sabotage her wedding - she's already married, she can't find him for a quickie divorce, the dress dies, Ryan's tux doesn't fit, the venue burns, Castle is in an accident/presumed dead. But then - surprise! It was all a dream, everything is fine, he reassures her, and they get happily married. The only downside is that we'd go back to the ugly dress ... especially after seeing the much prettier, lace (not-her-mom's) dress.

Marlowe won't do it, but it's something that would work where FBOW is a dream but Veritas isn't.

(edited)

Sully was by no means a story arc. Beckett being in DC was a story arc and that life at the precinct moved on without her, and Sully was a tiny part of that.

I didn't mean Sully was a story arc but he was a part of it even if he wasn't in DC, her moving caused his recruitment. He may have had a minor role to play but he was her replacement and part of her (old) team and then suddenly he wasn't when they wanted the arc wound up. The least they have done was explain in a one liner why he wasn't needed any more. It was a minor thing but it felt very sloppy. 

Edited by verdana

If it's a choice seeing that ugly dress again or having Kate's marriage to Rogan rendered null and void I'd take the latter any day of the week. I hate dream scenarios on TV shows, it's the last resort of the truly desperate writer but FBFW was so unsatisfying not to mention annoying for what it did to Beckett's character that I can't help thinking about the possibility. However I would be truly shocked if Marlowe took that decision because how do you then work in this "new mythology" he seems so excited with. 

NF still boasts scruff, makes me hope for its appearance on Castle. Of course it doesn't mean a thing, last year Seamus had grown a full beard but shaved it all before filming, but hope dies last.

Good gracious!  He looks amazing in that photo.  That is what Richard Castle should look like - not the frumpy mess we see every Monday night.  After seeing this photo you'd think it was in the job description of Castle's lighting and wardrobe department to make him look bad.       

• Love 1

Good gracious!  He looks amazing in that photo.  That is what Richard Castle should look like - not the frumpy mess we see every Monday night.  After seeing this photo you'd think it was in the job description of Castle's lighting and wardrobe department to make him look bad.       

I have to wonder if it's an old photo.  He certainly doesn't look like that at Comicons.

Seamus Dever @seamusdever  ·  5h

I'd love to tell you what happened on Game of Thrones tonight but it was so dark that I'm not really sure.

Oh, the irony.  Does he watch his own show?  Maybe Castle and Beckett actually made out and had wild, passionate sex but it was so dark I'm not really sure. ;)

NF is really working the scruff well this hiatus.  I can imagine him in some edgier, more dangerous looking roles with that look.  I believe that's a recent pic as he's been sporting that look of late.  Camera angles and lighting can make him come off differently, and better as in that pic.  Point is, those things, along with wardrobe and makeup, can make a real difference for the better so why don't they do him some favours on his own show?

SK's been looking refreshed as well.  Unfortunately, the leads do look progressively more tired as they grind out 20+ episodes and it shows.  Probably doesn't help that every episode is so formulaic.  The supporting cast manages to look more or less the same because they don't have that much to do.

Found AM's answer about Sully in his interview annoying, but he's never struck me as a particularly funny guy from interviews.  He might as well have said Sully needed his privacy like Caskett in the bedroom and so we never saw him again. ;)  Same pattern with Esplanie.  Why did they ever bother to go there if they weren't going to bother following up....except with a crumb, seasons later. ;)  But seriously, there's no excuse for the shoddy writing of Sully, and basically all the tertiary characters on Castle (Pi, Tory, even Josh, Gina) who all existed for plot purposes but never had much meaningful characterisation.  It's all the same cavalier, disposable treatment.  Again, the question is, why should we care if the writers themselves don't care about these characters?

What I hope to see in the S7 premiere is at least the same level of hard hitting emotion as we got from the 2 parter when Alexis was kidnapped, if not more.  And I want to see Castle being a palpable presence for Beckett, and vice versa, even if he is physically absent.  Episodes are strongest when they maintain a strong emotional connection even if not physically together.  I don't mind if it's flashbacks, dreams, or Beckett finding out a secret something Castle had planned/left for her for their wedding day/honeymoon/in his will, and then breaking down.  They can craft some heart-wrenching, romantic moments out of the angst.  Might as well go for the sap since they chose this plot. ;) There should be some media attention over Castle's 'death' as he was a famous author, and surely, they would be salivating all over the  tragedy of a groom dying on his wedding day. ;)