Type keyword(s) to search

Special Contestants: All Stars and Firefighters and Lunch Ladies, Oh My!

Bella
  • Start Topic

I think kids who are focused on adult pursuits aren't always popular or good with their classmates. They can be a little affected because they're trying not to give anyone an opening to pick on them.

• Love 1

I wasn't sure who I thought should win by the end but I was leaning toward the girl who did win despite the gummy candy salad.  Then, when I saw the "In memory of....." during the credits and realized her father had died, I was glad she'd won.  She was a nice little girl and I've been feeling bad for her all day.  Stop doing that, Chopped.  Be a cooking show.

• Love 5

Yes, just as I was feeling happy that Lily could drop the serious tone and rejoice in her victory, I saw "in loving memory of Jeffrey Nichols." I had recorded it so went back to the beginning and she was introduced as Lily Nichols. Such a shame for an eleven year old girl to lose her dad over falling off a ladder. (And, despite the sad story, I thought she was the clear winner.)

• Love 1

I watched no minutes before deciding that, but apparently I've been outvoted.

I've been recording and erasing this show based on the discussion here. Watching no minutes does save a lot of time, even on a show like this where I FF through entire segments like the backroom chats.

I watched about 10 minutes and decided spending time watching 4 precocious 10-11 years olds cooking was not something I wanted to do.

You've got ten minutes up on me; I made the same decision based on seeing "fifth graders" in the episode summary.

Yes, just as I was feeling happy that Lily could drop the serious tone and rejoice in her victory, I saw "in loving memory of Jeffrey Nichols." I had recorded it so went back to the beginning and she was introduced as Lily Nichols. Such a shame for an eleven year old girl to lose her dad over falling off a ladder. (And, despite the sad story, I thought she was the clear winner.)

Oh wow I missed that in the credits. How sad for her and her family. I hope he was coherent enough for her to share her Chopped experience and win with him before he passed away. Obviously he didn't see the show, but I hope she got to tell him about it.

• Love 2

I also missed the note at the end, our DVR cut off a few s econds early. How sad for that kid.

But as others have posted, there is something just not right about having 10 year olds on a show like Chopped. It seems they were all under too much pressure to win, and ar not allowed to be kids and enjoy their youth. All three losers seemed devastated when they were Chopped, especially the Chiranian kid who was getting way too porky in the break room with the eventual winner.

Finally, the curtain call where Ted gave each loser a $500 FN gift card struck me as chintsy. Seeing how the kids have to buy FN stuff, which probably costs FN less than half of what the items are retailing for, the cards really only cost the network a few hundred total.

They need to stick with real chefs, and adults only, otherwise change the format if they are going to use kids in the future. Perhaps a kids episode where nobody is chopped, but they accrue points and a winner is announced after the third round, but all four get to cook in all three rounds.

And definitely up the prize for kids who do not win, they can certainly afford it.

• Love 3

Has there been any new episodes of Chopped made lately that wasn't some special schtick? I am sick of kids cooking. That's great that they can, but all these "special guests" are getting old. Where the hell are the real chefs? Oh wait. They're all too busy trying out for Top Chef....a show that (so far anyway) has NEVER allowed kids in their kitchen as their own Quickfires. I do remember one season where kids pitched in, but the adults did all the real cooking. If anything, the kids were an added obstacle.

Edited by fliptopbox

Has there been any new episodes of Chopped made lately that wasn't some special schtick? I am sick of kids cooking. That's great that they can, but all these "special guests" are getting old. Where the hell are the real chefs? Oh wait. They're all too busy trying out for Top Chef....a show that (so far anyway) has NEVER allowed kids in their kitchen as their own Quickfires. I do remember one season where kids pitched in, but the adults did all the real cooking. If anything, the kids were an added obstacle.

I know, I'd like to see some real chefs who just plain love to cook. 

A version of the Chopped format will be used for a kid competition, btw, but not a cooking one. Project Runway: Threads will have 3 tween-to-teen competitors each week, with prizes worth $10 K. I don't yet know if they'll have an overall winner.

I wonder what the Chopped ratings are and if they've been trending higher or lower with the special contestants. It could be that a dip in ratings led to the emphasis on sob stories and special groups. Or maybe the pool of regular chefs willing to go on the show became depleted. Or TPTB have just messed with the show because they're bored. 

I thought that maybe it was just like Jeopardy and the staff wanted some time off so racked up the year-long kiddie tourney followed by the decades long "Ultimate" champions so they could go sip mojitos on the beach, but it's time they got back to school.  As far as I can tell it's more reruns next week.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 2

My condolences on your loss, cooksdelight.

They're still on the special contestants kick, this week is baseball stadium chefs. Enough already.

At least they're adults, but, yes - enough already.

• Love 1

@cooksdelight, I'm so sorry about your cat. (((HUGS)))

Geez...FN has a whole untapped market of potential "genre" competitors. How about fast-food cooks from burger chains: Micky D's vs. Burger King vs. Carl's Jr., vs. Hardee's...

OK, my cat that I said I'd play for has died. Now I have a REAL sob story to give them when they call me up.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat, you can compete in their memory now. Your cat would have wanted you to.

• Love 4

They're still on the special contestants kick, this week is baseball stadium chefs. Enough already.

Mo Rocca had a ballpark chef on his show. I wonder if he'll show up on Chopped like the Thai grandmother did.

And he was delightful, what with Tommy Lasorda ganking the lasagna and the getting up at 3 am to work so he could be home to raise his grand daughter during the day and helping Mo out with the location of third base and the still going to work every day at age 75 thing. And yet, at no point did he whine. I can see why they didn't use him here.  

OK, my cat that I said I'd play for has died. Now I have a REAL sob story to give them when they call me up.

Yes, I will write up a new campaign for my application, on how my cat is channeling his energy and favorite foods into my cooking.

I'm so sorry about your cat. Do it. You've got the fancy feast round pasted.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

I'll have one of those photo buttons made of my cat to wear on the show. Photos in my pocket. Maybe even share a video clip or two.

I'll do themed plates... all of them around cat things. Catnip duJour, I'll call fois gras "Cat pate".... the possibilities are endless.....

• Love 5

Yes, I will write up a new campaign for my application, on how my cat is channeling his energy and favorite foods into my cooking.

You must make sure to burst into tears when you pull tunafish out of the basket in Round 2.  This. Is. Essential. 

I'll have one of those photo buttons made of my cat to wear on the show. Photos in my pocket. Maybe even share a video clip or two.

If time allows, try to have a portrait of the cat tattooed on your forearm which you can flash during judging and will be in every cooking/plating shot.  

*In all seriousness, my condolences.  

• Love 10

I'm so sorry CooksDelight. (((hugs))))

I do not mean to make light of your loss, at all, but maybe you can still play in his honor...

Edited to add I see this has been well covered. I have no doubt he will be honored in some way.

Edited by NikSac

My cat would be thrilled we're making jokes, as am I. It helps to laugh instead of cry at the loss of a fur baby.

I'm hoping they will have kangaroo meat in the basket, as my cat did something I called "the kangaroo" when he wanted a treat. Oh the story I could tell with kangaroo meat!!

• Love 4

My cat would be thrilled we're making jokes, as am I. It helps to laugh instead of cry at the loss of a fur baby.

I'm hoping they will have kangaroo meat in the basket, as my cat did something I called "the kangaroo" when he wanted a treat. Oh the story I could tell with kangaroo meat!!

I'm glad you're able to laugh some, Cooksdelight. It is so hard losing a fur baby.  Awww the kangaroo - cute!

I know this is off topic for Chopped but it seems fitting here. Have you seen the "Aisle of Terror" episode on Guy's Grocery Games?  It's on right now for me and I'm not kidding, there's a woman playing for her cat!  Why didn't you tell us you were going to be on? :)

• Love 2

All kidding aside, I really am sorry you lost your fur baby.

• Love 2

Baseball stadium chefs?

I can just see the basket ingredients now: Dirty water hotdogs with individual packets of relish and mustard; stale, oversized pretzels; lukewarm Budweiser; and a bag o' peanuts!

I read this and I thought - PARFAIT!  

Sorry about your cat, cooksdelight.

If I were on Chopped, I'd compete in honor of my deceased golden retriever who would eat anything.   Seriously - anything.  My kids might turn their noses up at some of my cooking, but my dog's unconditional love extended to what leftovers  I put in her dish. 

• Love 3

My sister had a novel idea to why not just puree everything into a smoothie? They are trendy right now and it would definitely transform the ingredients. Toss in a handful of kale or spinach and chia seeds and there you have it!

• Love 3

I saw the Guy's Grocery Game episode where the woman was playing for her sick cat.  She was a likeable person.  Plus, I can deal with that reason for wanting money;  a sick pet and high vet bills are things many people can relate to.   I would love an episode where contestants say they need money for routine things - a new washer,  brakes for the car,  paint to spruce up the kitchen etc.  Heck, even money for a long weekend away.  (I don't mind when contestants say they want to travel, but it's usually someplace exotic and not just to visit grandma a state over.)   It would even be nice if someone said that they really don't need the money now, but they are just going to put it in the bank for a rainy day.  

• Love 3

TommyCat (my avatar) and I cry for your cattykit.

I actually liked all the baseball chefs and would have been happy with any of them winning, but you won't convince me that ballpark food has evolved beyond steamed hot dogs and flat Coke for anyone but the elite in the skyboxes and the trendies who don't actually watch the game.

I actually liked all the baseball chefs and would have been happy with any of them winning, but you won't convince me that ballpark food has evolved beyond steamed hot dogs and flat Coke for anyone but the elite in the skyboxes and the trendies who don't actually watch the game.

Then you need to go to the Orioles or Nats parks - they have way more than hot dogs and flat coke. Orioles - Baltimore - can you say Maryland - crabs!

• Love 1

Yeah, Nationals Park in Washington has some really great food. But as a newer stadium, it has a lot of vendors, including fast-food-style outlets of regular local restaurants. The overall "chef" in charge doesn't apply at Nats Stadium.

We are still giggling about the "tiny ice cream spheres," btw. This was a situation in which the show's inability to call something by its real name, in this case "Dippin' Dots."

They've had really fancy food at our local basketball stadium for years - I remember when they introduced it when I was a teenager (which was longer ago than I care to admit). Sushi, various foods from China, Italy, etc., and they even added a somewhat fancy restaurant. The funny thing was even when they added better food we always went for the crappy hot dogs and stale nachos with canned cheese... it was all part of going to watch a game. I don't know how it'd work exactly but I think it'd be fun to see these chefs make "elevated crappy game day food." Maybe that would kind of ruin it, though.

Oh my goodness "tiny ice cream spheres" how did I forget that?  I'm usually glad the show doesn't suffer from too much branding but sometimes you really just need to call a Dippin' Dot a Dippin' Dot.

• Love 3

TommyCat (my avatar) and I cry for your cattykit.

My last game at AT&T Park in San Francisco, I had a tri-tip sandwich.

Cleveland Indians play at Progresve Field, I haven't been to a game in several years, but have heard they have some great food. And, I did not know this until i looked, but they have a Food Network Cart, see description...

Your first mission is to hit the Food Network cart, which is located behind Section 172, down the third base line. The closest gates to this popular concession stand are Gate A and Gate B, if you really want to get there quickly. The Food Network cart's menu varies, but always offers such delicious items as the Red, White and Blue Steak Sandwich, which is a generous-sized piece of steak topped with blue cheese, sweet and spicy mayo and accompanied with potato sticks. Or, try the Cleveland Steak Sandwich, which includes sauerkraut, Cleveland's famed Bertman Ball Park Mustard and served with potato sticks. Other menu items are the bacon-wrapped knockwurst on a pretzel roll or the buffalo mac and cheese. Regardless of what you pick, you can't go wrong. The food here is a tad more expensive than at other concessions, but it's prepared carefully and tastes delicious. Be warned that because of the cart's popularity, lines are often long and items can sell out during the game.

Sounds good to me! I may have to try to get to a game next year! Plus, the mustard is awesome.

Edited by LazyToaster

I know this is a couple of weeks old, but isn't it special to think about your cat watching your future performance on Chopped on all the TVs in Heaven?

**seriously though, I am sorry about your cat.  I've had two dogs pass away and know how hard it is to lose a furbaby! :( Hope you are doing okay!

I am finally getting around to catching up on back episodes, and I must admit I loved the baseball chefs episode... mostly because I live in Dallas and have spent more time at the Rangers ballpark than I should admit!  They have some decently upscale items, or at least upscale version of ballpark classics, like fancy bratwursts, that are really quite tasty.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the judges show tonight although I was hoping Chris would win.  It's funny............. When I first started watching Chopped, I liked attractive Scott of the sexy voice and didn't like Chris who looks a bit like a thug.  Now I can't stand Scott and, since I've come to "know" Chris, he's one of my favorites. 

Has Marcus left the show?  I wondered why he wasn't involved.

Does Alex have pictures of Bob Tuschman playing golf with Satan? How does she always win? When she was talking about the guy who said he and his wife loved to watch when she lost, I thought "when does that happen?" If by some chance she loses something, they just bring her back & make sure she wins the next time.

• Love 3

Does Alex have pictures of Bob Tuschman playing golf with Satan? How does she always win? When she was talking about the guy who said he and his wife loved to watch when she lost, I thought "when does that happen?" If by some chance she loses something, they just bring her back & make sure she wins the next time.

I suspect the producer of her show, one Mr. Flay, has some impact on her treatment. I have no idea why. Either she or the persona she's inexplicably adopted for television is supercilious, affected, rude and charmless. I'm continually amazed at the amount of screentime they dedicate to trying to make her happen.