Type keyword(s) to search

Special Contestants: All Stars and Firefighters and Lunch Ladies, Oh My!

Bella
  • Start Topic

The last family battle was completely boring.  Why would anyone think it would be more interesting this time?  I don't care about bragging rights in some strangers' family.  That's all it's about since no matter who wins, the winnings stay in the family anyway.  Just as boring as last time.  The baskets were pretty easy, too.  And who didn't know from the beginning it would be the two sisters at the end?

The snotty kid said he wants to go to nursing school.  Gee, that's what my profession needs more of--arrogant, self-important pricks without ethics. 

Edited by cattykit
  • Love 6

The last family battle was completely boring.  Why would anyone think it would be more interesting this time?  I don't care about bragging rights in some strangers' family.  That's all it's about since no matter who wins, the winnings stay in the family anyway.  Just as boring as last time.  The baskets were pretty easy, too.  And who didn't know from the beginning it would be the two sisters at the end?

Not only that, but they weren't going to let the one sister lose no matter what. That annoyed the heck out of me because I think she could've served ANYthing and they would have made sure she won.

• Love 1

How about random chefs who don't know each other, don't have any sob stories, and just like to cook for a living? At this point, that's the most special group of contestants of all, since we don't see them anymore.

They really need to take this show on the road. Would Amanda mind a trip to California? Would Maneet enjoy herself in Chicago? Would Marc Murphy like a tour of the south? How about a special group of contestants being "people not from the East Coast"?

• Love 6

I think they should move me to the front of the line of Dead Cat Owners.

But, would that be owners of dead cats, or dead owners of cats?

And how would they work in your status as a dead cat owner with your culinary abilities? Is it that after your cat died, you consoled yourself by learning to cook?

Or was it that your terrible cooking skills were responsible for your cat's death, and you are trying to redeem yourself before you risk getting another cat?

Or are you merely competing in the name of your dead cat, to bring awareness to the serious issue of feline fatality?

• Love 4

How about random chefs who don't know each other, don't have any sob stories, and just like to cook for a living? At this point, that's the most special group of contestants of all, since we don't see them anymore.

They really need to take this show on the road. Would Amanda mind a trip to California? Would Maneet enjoy herself in Chicago? Would Marc Murphy like a tour of the south? How about a special group of contestants being "people not from the East Coast"?

Didn't they do some of the special BBQ/Grilling episodes, from a few seasons ago (they had at least 1 series they filmed outdoors, in like an old west set), outside of NYC?

• Love 1

But, would that be owners of dead cats, or dead owners of cats?

And how would they work in your status as a dead cat owner with your culinary abilities? Is it that after your cat died, you consoled yourself by learning to cook?

Or was it that your terrible cooking skills were responsible for your cat's death, and you are trying to redeem yourself before you risk getting another cat?

Or are you merely competing in the name of your dead cat, to bring awareness to the serious issue of feline fatality?

My cat Harry would sit in the kitchen, endless hours, watching me cook. When he died, there was this empty space in the kitchen. Cooking was my way of grieving, remembering his little pats on my leg when he smelled something he wanted to taste. I'll wear his photo on my shirt/jacket/whatever I wear. It will be an inspiration to cat owners everywhere to keep their little furbbies close in the kitchen. You just never know when they'll eat their last meal you fix for them.

*sniff*

• Love 3

Didn't they do some of the special BBQ/Grilling episodes, from a few seasons ago (they had at least 1 series they filmed outdoors, in like an old west set), outside of NYC?

Yes, and what I'd like would be more such episodes. 

My cat Harry would sit in the kitchen, endless hours, watching me cook. When he died, there was this empty space in the kitchen. Cooking was my way of grieving, remembering his little pats on my leg when he smelled something he wanted to taste. I'll wear his photo on my shirt/jacket/whatever I wear. It will be an inspiration to cat owners everywhere to keep their little furbbies close in the kitchen. You just never know when they'll eat their last meal you fix for them.

*sniff*

I lost my beloved 18 yr old cat just a couple of months ago and it's when I'm in the kitchen or I'm eating that I miss him most. He always waited patiently for a nibble of what I was preparing, watching me so closely and looking up with his big eyes, and he knew when I was finished eating by the sounds of my utensils on the plate and knew that was his cue to come and lick the plate clean. Virtually all of what I eat makes me think of him whether it's a ham sandwich or how I cook my eggs a wee bit more now since he liked the yolks really runny.  I'll join you in a big *sniff*.

• Love 2

*sniff*

OK, and I will play in the name of my dead dog, also named Harry, only we spelled it "Hairy" because of how much shedding he did.   Hairy the Golden Retriever, even in his golden years, had a sixth sense when food was going to drop.   If anybody dropped something that was edible, Hairy would be there, catching it before it hit the ground, or, at most, on the first bounce.   When I stood at the stove, cooking, Hairy would creep up behind me, and lie down, as though he just decided to nap.   But his true intention became obvious.  When I  turned around to bring food from the stove to the counter, I'd often trip over that big dog, spilling dinner on the floor (or the dog).  It was the one way he could guarantee that he got to taste  dinner before anyone else did. 

I will compete on Chopped in the name of my beloved Hairy, who was with me for 12 wonderful years and who LOVED my cooking.  So much so that he'd  beg or even steal from the kids who didn't appreciate my cooking as much as he did.

When I drop or spill in the kitchen, and have to bend down and clean up the floor,  is when I miss Hairy the most.  Because that dog could lick the floor CLEAN. When I scrape plates after dinner, and see how much gets tossed, I miss Hairy.   Food was never wasted with Hairy around.  Even if he had to tear up the garbage bag and spread trash all over the house, Hairy made sure that no crumb of food went uneaten. 

Given a chance to compete on Chopped, I would go in knowing one thing for sure -  that even if the judges tell me my food is over-cooked and under-seasoned, or burnt but soggy, and they CHOP me, I can walk away thinking "the judges might not like my food, but HAIRY would have loved it." 

• Love 3

Just tuned in to some kind of Chopped chefs-you-recognize-from-celebrity contestants. 

I found it quite jarring to see Aarti in the intro lineup with Marcus Samuellson, Michael Symon et al. One of these is not like the others?

Hope I haven't missed Marcus.

Edited by NewDigs

I have this on my DVR and I never seem to get the same episodes everyone is talking about.  My DIRECTV's gene is NOT agreeing with my preferences.  I am getting old reruns, apparently.  

• Love 1

I'm watching "live" Directtv right now. Haven't watched Chopped in ages but most of my regular programming has moved to Rio. I tried but table tennis didn't do it for me.

Aarti's competing this go-round. It's a 2012 show and the guide is calling it "All-Stars: Primetime vs. Daytime."

First round? Chicken feet. Remember to remove the nails.   Alrighty then.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

I'm watching "live" Directtv right now. Haven't watched Chopped in ages but most of my regular programming has moved to Rio. I tried but table tennis didn't do it for me.

Aarti's competing this go-round. It's a 2012 show and the guide is calling it "All-Stars: Primetime vs. Daytime."

First round? Chicken feet. Remember to remove the nails.   Alrighty then.

Thanks, just recorded today's shows.  

• Love 1

I didn't know any of the contestants in this first round of the Star Power Tournament, which is to be expected as they're the "internet sensations" contingent and I don't watch anything like that.  I had it on, but couldn't pay much attention, so I'll have to watch the re-airing, but I heard one woman say she was playing for the Southern Poverty Law Center, so I was rooting for her.  The man who won seemed cool from the little bit I was able to watch.

The final group consists of actors (athletes and comedians in between), and Alan Thicke is competing.  That will be a bit sad to watch.  I like that Food Network is not, at least that I've seen, using him in their promos for this tournament; it would feel tacky.

• Love 1

I wasn't familiar with any of the contestants either but I enjoyed the first episode of the tournament.  The only cook who was a PIA was the pretty blonde and she got chopped first - and rightly so.  The woman with the bun reminded me of Amanda both in looks and mannerisms.  I liked both of the guys who competed in the dessert round but I was leaning toward Lazarus because he didn't seem arrogant and he had a great smile.  The other guy might have won if he'd had a great dessert but he didn't.  Lazarus deserved his win.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, mlp said:

II liked both of the guys who competed in the dessert round but I was leaning toward Lazarus because he didn't seem arrogant and he had a great smile. 

Me, too, except it drove me nuts that the guy who didn't win was mispronouncing "quince" (he said "kince"). I liked Lazarus a lot. I've also never heard of any of them.

• Love 2

Apparently my definition of a "star" is quite different from Chopped's definition. Do these people actually make a living from a youtube channel , even with numerous "views"? 

But having said that, it was an enjoyable episode, and I felt they were tough baskets. The eventual winner has a good charity, and seemed like a really nice guy. Hopefully the upcoming episodes will be just as good. 

• Love 1

I was rooting for Lazarus, too.  He had a joyful quality that you don't see too often in food competitions.

When they introduced the chefs, my arteries were screaming at Josh's edgy, inventive dishes.  Blagh.

Bunhead female chef reminded me of Lisa Kudrow.  I've never seen Friends.

It was a pleasant ep overall, even though I'd never heard of any of the participants.

I thought Josh Elkin (the guy Lazarus beat) looked familiar - I knew I had seen him on TV before because I don't watch internet cooking shows. Looked him up on IMDB and sure enough he has been a contestant on Guy's Grocery Games, Cuthroat Kitchen and - surprise - a judge on Cooks Versus Cons.

I Googled Lazarus Lynch out of curiosity and learned that he has an extensive and rather impressive bio for one so young.  Interestingly, he interned at FN while in high school and has already appeared on other FN shows.  So he wasn't exactly unknown to them.  Much like Josh Elkin.

http://www.sonofasouthernchef.com/bio.html

I thought Josh Elkin looked familiar too.  After seeing the above references, now I remember him.

• Love 1

One of the basket ingredients was Japanese mayo.  Geoffrey said once you've tried it you'll never go back.  Any of you use it?  I've tried TJ's wasabi mayo, but that was distinctively green and the basket item was the color of standard mayo.

On 3/30/2017 at 3:57 PM, spiderpig said:

One of the basket ingredients was Japanese mayo.  Geoffrey said once you've tried it you'll never go back.  Any of you use it?  I've tried TJ's wasabi mayo, but that was distinctively green and the basket item was the color of standard mayo.

I enjoy it in certain applications is richer because it only uses egg yolks and is viegary because it uses a lot of rice wine vinegar.

Round two of the Star Power Tournament:

Ranch. Dressing. Soda.  That’s a thing?!

Dorothy Hamill and LaMarr Woodley are the only two I know.  I couldn’t remember if Woodley wasn’t one of the Steelers’ dirty players, or if it just seemed like he wasn’t because his linebacker counterpart Harrison was such an obvious one, so I decided not to root for or against anyone coming in.

But then the MMA fighter used girly, awesome, and amazing within 60 seconds of each other during her introductory segment, at which point she fell to the bottom of my list.  Her charity sounded good, though (I know nothing about it, but I like money going directly to people in need), and she didn’t bug me too much after that (still more giggly and juvenile than I like, but harmless), so I enjoyed this competition.

Hamill’s appetizer slider looked really tasty.  Woodley’s beef was an unappetizing color, so between that and the disjointed feel of his dish as a whole, I figured he was going out first.  It was cool having the three female athletes left, and like that they were all excited about that, too.

I love zaatar bread.  In fact, I love all the ingredients in the entrée round.  I loathe over-cooked meat of any kind, but lamb is particularly bad.  I think I’d have liked all three dishes had they not ruined the lamb; they all looked pretty flavorful.

I’d have been at quite a loss with the dessert basket; I don’t like anything in it other than the brioche and the blood oranges, and I just wouldn’t have known what to do with the rest without more time than the contestants had.  The MMA fighter’s dessert looked beautiful, and I agree Hamill’s seemed more like breakfast.

But Hamill seemed, overall, like the most knowledgeable cook to me, so I was a little surprised she didn’t pull it off.

• Love 1

Dorothy Hamill was the only one I knew.  She's still cute and she must be at least 60 by now.  She seems to have a habit of blowing her bangs up off her forehead.  I kept waiting for one of the judges to find a hair in the food.  I was hoping she'd win.  I didn't like the cage fighter who was way too impressed with herself.  She lost me completely when she said something about dominating others being the best thing ever.

I'm glad they used Eddie as one of the judges.  I always enjoy seeing him and he does have some food cred unlike some of the "celebrities" they keep bringing in.

• Love 3

Just looked it up.  Dorothy Hamill will be 61 in July.  I remember her well from the 70's and even had that haircut when I was in high school, so I was disappointed she was chopped.  I saw that Ranch Dressing Soda on another show, where the host was at a store specializing in weird drink flavors and vintage sodas.  I thought it sounded disgusting, and it apparently is.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

Ranch. Dressing. Soda.  That’s a thing?!

I only know it was because it was recently on an Andrew Zimmern show when he went to s store that had a gazillion kinds of sodas. He said it was disgusting and he knows from disgusting.

8 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I saw that Ranch Dressing Soda on another show, where the host was at a store specializing in weird drink flavors and vintage sodas.  I thought it sounded disgusting, and it apparently is.

I am pretty sure it was Andrew Zimmern's Route 66 episode of whatever the title of his show currently is called.

• Love 4
On 3/30/2017 at 3:57 PM, spiderpig said:

It tastes a little sweet even though it was billed as vinegar forward.  Not worth it it if you have to travel to an Asian grocery to get it.  

I have always liked Dorothy.   She said that whenever she gets together with her daughter, they bake cookies.   On come on.  You do not, maybe occasionally.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, wings707 said:

It tastes a little sweet even though it was billed as vinegar forward.  Not worth it it if you have to travel to an Asian grocery to get it.  

It definitely varies by brand.

On 4/4/2017 at 10:56 PM, mlp said:

I didn't like the cage fighter who was way too impressed with herself.

Paige kept saying "let the better woman win" with only herself in mind, of course.  Because Dorothy was not the "better woman".  And then she did win...ugh. Learn a little graciousness, Paige.

• Love 3

Part Three of the Star Power tournament:

I recognize - and adore the work, not to mention the voices, of - Ileana Douglas and Julie White, so I was looking forward to this one.  (The guys I didn't know anything about.)  Julie White's reaction shots to others' personal connections to the charities they were playing for were great.  As much as I hate sob stories, I like her empathy.  They all seemed very encouraging of each other, which I also liked.

It would have been too obvious a choice, but since crab cakes are one of my favorite appetizers (or main courses, really), I could not stop thinking of crab cakes as soon as I saw the ingredients, using asparagus in place of the celery (I love crab and asparagus together) and a little bit of ground arepas as the binder (just enough to bind without really tasting the corn, which would be a ding that you couldn't taste an ingredient).  Then a nice sauce and some asparagus tips for garnish.  My resulting craving distracted me from hearing some of the charities.

I'd have eaten everyone's appetizers, but Ron's looked the least-interesting to me.  I was distracted by my cat; what did he give Amanda when he was eliminated?

NY strip steaks are not my favorite cut, and I hate potatoes and marshmallows, so the entrée basket was not my bag (I love Brussels sprouts, though).

It's funny that they didn't include any clips of Ileana talking about being a vegetarian until the second round, as if crabs are vegetables.  Her steak looked hideously overdone in the camera shot and in Amanda's serving (although Scott's looked just fine), so that would have been it for me; I can't handle over-cooked meat.  But Julie's sauce looked pretty awful, too, and adding in the judges' comments about its taste -- I was expecting her to be chopped that round.  When Ileana was chopped instead, I knew Julie would ultimately be toast unless she absolutely dominated the dessert round.

I laughed that Julie had her glasses on for just a hot second in the dessert round, presumably to read the instructions on that cinnamon roll dough. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

what did he give Amanda when he was eliminated?

As a continuation of the joke that he was looking for a good woman, he gave her his phone number.  :)

I wasn't familiar with any of them but I liked them all.  They all seemed sincere about their charities.  Sometimes celebrities talk about them as if they just picked something for the show but this group sounded legit.

Marshmallow and wine sauce sounds absolutely ghastly.  It might possibly work on ice cream but on steak?  Gah.

Next week Alan Thicke is one of the celebrities competing and I am having so many feelings I never expected to have about it.

Also, I never realized that I loathe Jonathan Sadowski. I never knew I even had an opinion on him, but I guess I do and it is unbridled rage!

On 4/6/2017 at 3:27 PM, LazyToaster said:

I want to try the Japanese mayo - I'm a big vinegar fan.  Our local grocery store has an entire aisle of international foods - they might have it. 

The brand I bought was definitely sweet more that tart-ish like vinegar. 

Edited by wings707
On 4/12/2017 at 7:37 PM, biakbiak said:

Wait I missed bunches of Funches? I will have to check this out ondemand.

FYI- he was also on Cupcake Wars back in July. We know him from @Midnight, so it's fun, but also a bit strange, to see him not in "standup" mode.

On April 7, 2017 at 10:25 AM, roughing it said:

Paige kept saying "let the better woman win" with only herself in mind, of course.  Because Dorothy was not the "better woman".  And then she did win...ugh. Learn a little graciousness, Paige.

I didn't like her (Paige) either.  Not just because I'm partial to Dorothy's charity which combines two issues which are meaningful to me - animal welfare and veterans' therapy.