Type keyword(s) to search

Special Contestants: All Stars and Firefighters and Lunch Ladies, Oh My!

Bella
  • Start Topic

I'm rewatching the teen finale and two things stuck out:

Dante said the cheese tastes like a fart. How does he know what a fart tastes like?

The ice cream machine.... Amanda asks "Did she agree to that?" and Ted says "Well, she's the one that got it dirty."

Ted... you are an asshole.

• Love 2
The ice cream machine.... Amanda asks "Did she agree to that?" and Ted says "Well, she's the one that got it dirty."

Ted... you are an asshole.

I only watched the episode once, so I'm not a 100% sure, but I thought he said something along the lines of "Dante's thought process is that she used it last so she should clean it." If he really did say what you wrote out, then that's definitely a shitty thing to say.

I was very happy Tommi won. She kept a positive attitude and didn't rag on anybody. I enjoyed her friendship with Saquoia; Saquoia seemed genuinely happy that Tommi won. 

Add me to the list that is glad to see Tommy Rae as the winner. That is a very nice prize she won. Hope she keeps that attitude throughout her life.

Also, add me to the list of those who are upset at the fact that FN saw fit to only give the other kids a measly $1,000 gift card to their own merch site. Since FN owns the site, the merch probably costs them about 25 cents on the dollar, so that even further devalues the card. How utterly cheap of them, especially after giving the winner 65k.

It's tough enough having these kids having to endure the stress of being on TV, being chopped, and and in the case of the finalists, coming so close to 65k. The Gift card was a really cheap and insulting booby prize. At the least, all 16 contenders should have received one, not just the final 4, but I guess that would have cut into Guy Fee-ety's travel allowance budget!

• Love 2

FN changes like the wind in how they do things on these special shows. When they first had home cooks on, everyone was wearing a grey Chopped jacket. The next time, they were in their everyday clothes, only the winner got a jacket. First time they had lunch ladies on, they were all awarded a trip to the White House, as one of the judges, Sam Kass, was a WH chef and affiliated with Michelle Obama's healthy eating initiative. Each of those lunch ladies were given $5,000, the winner got the usual $10,000. Next time a group of "everyday heroes" came on who were doing good in their community, nothing for the runners-up. They had grandmothers once, and none of them got anything special other than the winner. Same with the all-mothers and all-dads episodes. The teen shows are the most inconsistent. First couple of them, they got the $1000 gift cards. Then the one where obnoxious Hunter won last December, he got a $40,000 scholarship. It wasn't a tournament, either, just a regular show.

The grilling episodes... first two times, they were not allowed to use the ovens. Third time, they were.

Another thing that bugs me sometimes is that the executive chefs of Marc Murphy's restaurants, and a couple from Alex's, compete and usually win. You can't tell me there's not a bit of favoritism unless their food really sucks, which would be a bad reflection on the Chopped judge they work for. I am certain they are never judging when their employees are on the show, but the others know who they are and where they work.

• Love 1

FN changes like the wind in how they do things on these special shows. When they first had home cooks on, everyone was wearing a grey Chopped jacket. The next time, they were in their everyday clothes, only the winner got a jacket. First time they had lunch ladies on, they were all awarded a trip to the White House, as one of the judges, Sam Kass, was a WH chef and affiliated with Michelle Obama's healthy eating initiative. Each of those lunch ladies were given $5,000, the winner got the usual $10,000. Next time a group of "everyday heroes" came on who were doing good in their community, nothing for the runners-up. They had grandmothers once, and none of them got anything special other than the winner. Same with the all-mothers and all-dads episodes. The teen shows are the most inconsistent. First couple of them, they got the $1000 gift cards. Then the one where obnoxious Hunter won last December, he got a $40,000 scholarship. It wasn't a tournament, either, just a regular show.

I suspect the differences in those cases come down to FN getting someone else to foot the bill for a bigger prize. I do remember that the scholarships for one of the earlier teen show were sponsored by a culinary school (Art Institutes?) Maybe the White House put up the money for the lunch lady episode as well.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

I suspect the differences in those cases come down to FN getting someone else to foot the bill for a bigger prize. I do remember that the scholarships for one of the earlier teen show were sponsored by a culinary school (Art Institutes?) Maybe the White House put up the money for the lunch lady episode as well.

Given that I spent all of Monday morning listening to a presentation about the details of NASA's FY14 and likely FY 15 budgets, I have to go all wonkiness on this. The White House likely would not put up the money for this because of the way budgeting works; there is seldom that kind of discretionary spending allowed. (There's a whole, whole, whole lot less discretionary spending in government than most people think.) However, the private foundation that stemmed from the First Lady's obesity initiative might have put up the money for the lunch lady episode. Sorry to nitpick - you're fundamentally right, but the details are probably different. [/wonk]

• Love 4

I agree that they could have given a nicer gift to the kids that didn't win, but I will say they seemed pretty excited. Since they all like to cook so much it will be like Christmas getting to order what they want.

I was really glad Tommy Rae won, I really believe she will put that scholarship to good use. I wasn't sure that either of the boys would.

• Love 2

I would have been OK with any of the three who needed/wanted the scholarship winning, but I liked Dante least because of his attitude and because he is already getting training at his school.  I did feel bad for him because he clearly does not have money, but OTOH Tommi  really needed the scholarship too and I liked her attitude.  I also like it when the kids without formal training win.  I guess I see them as the underdogs and I imagine it would be a lot harder when nobody has taught you correct butchering and you've never cooked or tasted octopus.  I was alos sure that they would give each finalist something like a $5000 scholarship.  I am hoping that maybe one of the judges can hook Sequoia up with at least an internist in a good restaurant.  After all you don't have to go to culinary school to be a chef.

• Love 2

I caught a rerun with some celebrities and I want Lou Diamond Phillips to cook for me. His food looked so good and if he didn't keep forgetting an item from the basket he would have won. I think the judges were pained by the decision too, especially after finding out he left the bars out of the dessert.

I just can't watch young kids competing in such a stressful environment, and the FN being cheap and not giving them all scholarships.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

I liked Lou Diamond Phillips too!  I go back and forth on the "celebrity" type editions of the show as well as the specialty groups such as firefighters, lunch ladies, grandmas, etc. but for the most part I've enjoyed them more than I thought I would.

The kid ones do tend to make me sad because I want ALL of them to win if they seem 1. talented, 2. not cocky/bratty, and 3. not "God's going to help me win this cooking competition!" Tommi Rae was my favorite so I was glad she won, but thought most of the other kids deserved something more too.  Then again even at age 40 I'd drool over a $1000 shopping trip on kitchen gadgets, so maybe it's still a good prize... a scholarship just seems more appropriate for kids their age.

• Love 1

I was happy that Tommie Rae won! Being the first one to get schooling beyond high school in your family is a big deal. And getting harder to achieve all the time.

Dante needs to choose between being a chef and being a pastor. I thought the prize was less useful for him anyway, since he can't make up his mind. And he seemed a little arrogant for a good Christian boy.

I'm glad Tommie Rae won, also. As for Dante being too arrogant to be a good Christian boy, he has the same attitude of superiority that most of the Christian teens, who have grown up in church have. They've been told since birth that they are wonderful godly blessings and are so much better than the godless teenagers they go to school with.

I was happy with the way the first round went.  Fatima was worse than I remembered and I almost stood up and cheered when she got chopped first.  I didn't recognize Georgio at first because his hair style was different.  I remembered him well though and had liked him the first time around.  I noticed he had his wrist watch alarm on again but no one mentioned it.  I've wondered if he ever took his mother and sister to Italy so I was glad he answered that question.  I was very glad he beat Mr. Arrogance from Jean-Georges.

I love Chopped After Hours on line so I really enjoyed the filler show that came on right after the tournament round.  I don't see a chef (Geoffrey Zakarian) cooking in French cuffs too often. 

• Love 2

Gee, do you think he worked for Jean-Georges? I was going to reach through the screen and slap him if he mentioned that one more time. And their overall arrogance about having to compete against amateurs was pretty patronizing. I hope one of them beats Giorgio just on principle.

I was glad with each round, I think the right person got eliminated each time. Serve undercooked meat? POOF, you're done. After all their bragging, I hope one of the amateurs takes this guy out in the first round. But, I also wonder how hard the ingredients are going to be compared to what these pros were given.

I really don't see an amateur having a chance against Giorgio. Not unless he shows up drunk off his ass or FN decides to rig the thing in order to have a "happy" ending. Hubris may be a dangerous thing, but he is so more skilled than any of the amateurs I have seen. 

I love Chopped After Hours on line so I really enjoyed the filler show that came on right after the tournament round.  I don't see a chef (Geoffrey Zakarian) cooking in French cuffs too often. 

I've been vaguely aware that there was such an online show, and though I figured I'd like it, I never thought to watch. But my DVR recorded the after hours (someone was smart enough to title it as a regular Chopped show, with he after hours designation in the episode description). What a hoot! Even Aaron Sanchez came across a likable. I'm going to see what older episodes are online, though I prefer it on DVR). 

• Love 2

I didn't remember anyone, so it was just like a regular Chopped episode to me. I also watched the After Hours show, what a surprise, they don't judge the judges, they just all taste everything & say it's delicious. 

• Love 1

If it had been anyone else besides Mr. Jean-Georges and the need to maintain suspense in the final round, would the judges really have been so kind about half a "smoked apple" on top of several kinds of gross-looking slop?

Edited by iscoffy
  • Love 1

Wasn't Fatima the woman who served the raw lamb?  I think it was lamb, anyway.

That's the way I remember it.  I do recall that I felt very strongly that the other chef should win and I was both shocked and angry when the judges picked Fatima despite a major technical error.  I thought her sob story carried the day.  She went on and on this time around too.  She's pretty but I just don't like her.

Giorgio seems to have picked up some ego along with his success.  I was sorry to see that as I liked his modesty the first time he was on.

If it had been anyone else besides Mr. Jean-Georges and the need to maintain suspense in the final round, would the judges really have been so kind about half a "smoked apple" on top of several kinds of gross-looking slop?

It really did look decidedly unappetizing. I couldn't believe that wasn't mentioned.

That was a lot of ego on one room with all the I'm-a-pro chefs & the judges. I can't see the amateurs having much of a chance either but it could be fun if they won.

My DVR picked up After Hours too. It was fun & my Scott crush got all ramped up again. I also was reminded why I adore Amanda. I've never got around to watching this online before so I'm glad that put one on the air.

Fatima was the only one I recognized, and I have only vague memories of her episode; I remember viewers being upset with her victory and me feeling it was justified, but that's about it.  So I was rooting for her on familiarity alone.  Alas.

I don't quite understand - or should I say, relate to - having the pros go first; clearly FN feels the "special" contestants are the draw, but not for me.  Grandmas and firefighters and celebrities, oh my.  Hooray for them, and I do mean that sincerely, but it's the professional chef's game to lose.  So shouldn't they (or, you know, he - of course) be chosen last?

I didn't remember anyone, so it was just like a regular Chopped episode to me. I also watched the After Hours show, what a surprise, they don't judge the judges, they just all taste everything & say it's delicious. 

I was so, so, so annoyed by the extra "countdown" they did for the judges. I was probably way more annoyed than I should have been but that alone made me stop watching the whole episode.  I'm with you though, the first part was like a regular Chopped episode. The "judges" one was kind of a joke to me.

Edited by NikSac

One thing that stuck out to me during the after hours: I was disappointed that Alex made a napoleon, mainly because it's on my personal list of "everyone effing does that in the dessert round" (along with french toast and bread pudding). So the second she said it I wanted to be all, come on, you're better than that.

But at the same time, it looked SO much more impressive than any silly half-assed napoleon I've ever seen on this show, and from the other judges reactions, apparently it tasted awesome. So now I don't know what to think. I'm torn between if you're gonna do a napoleon; that's how you do an effing napoleon and still wanting to consider it a cop out dessert choice. My brain hurts.

• Love 1

I was so, so, so annoyed by the extra "countdown" they did for the judges. I was probably way more annoyed than I should have been but that alone made me stop watching the whole episode.  I'm with you though, the first part was like a regular Chopped episode. The "judges" one was kind of a joke to me.

I'm right there with you. For all the grief they give contestants, it was BS for him extra time. And I'd have liked it more if they had judges for the food instead of them sitting around giving each other tongue-baths.

It was nice to see the judges acting more loosely. I like the camaraderie they have. And Ted impersonating them was really funny.

I'm torn between if you're gonna do a napoleon; that's how you do an effing napoleon and still wanting to consider it a cop out dessert choice. My brain hurts.

In a couple of episodes Aaron pretty much said that exact thing. Ted teased him about making a crepe when he always tells contestants not to. Aaron just said they were all doing it wrong. In another, there was chocolate in the basket and he made a mole sauce while talking about how people would probably make fun of him for doing so but he was going to show how to do it right.

I was so, so, so annoyed by the extra "countdown" they did for the judges.

Ted made me laugh when he did that.  The point of After Hours is to show what the judges might have done with the basket ingredients and to show them having fun doing it.  They aren't really competing or being judged.  I get a kick out of the horseplay and seeing them just be themselves.  Even Aaron whom I can't stand as a judge is likeable after hours - as someone else also observed.

• Love 4

I don't really blame this group for their attitude toward the amateurs when Ted keeps talking about how humiliated they would feel if they lost.

IIRC, the first time Chef Sous Jean Georges was on, he complained that the judges kept associating him with his employer and he wanted to be evaluated on his own merits.  This time, he was rubbing the aura all over himself.  If you're all that wonderful, you don't need to go on a game show to prove it.  Fatima was one of the weaker winners, as she pretty much won because everyone else was so bad, and I seem to recall she was bounced early in Chopped Champions, too. 

If a celebrity should happen to win, do they get to keep the prize or are they expected to donate it to charity?

• Love 1
ul·ti·mate
ˈəltəmit/
adjective
adjective: ultimate

being or happening at the end of a process; final.
    "their ultimate aim was to force his resignation"
    synonyms: eventual, final, concluding, terminal, end; More
    resulting, ensuing, consequent, subsequent
    "the ultimate collapse of their empire"
        being the best or most extreme example of its kind.
        "the ultimate accolade"
        synonyms: best, ideal, perfect, greatest, supreme, paramount, superlative, highest, utmost, optimum, quintessential
        "the ultimate gift for cat lovers"
        basic or fundamental.
        "the ultimate constituents of anything that exists are atoms"
        synonyms: fundamental, basic, primary, elementary, elemental, absolute, central, key, crucial, essential, pivotal
        "ultimate truths about civilization"
        Physics
        denoting the maximum possible strength or resistance beyond which an object breaks.

noun
noun: ultimate; noun: the ultimate; plural noun: ultimates

the best achievable or imaginable of its kind.
    "the ultimate in decorative luxury"
    synonyms: utmost, optimum, last word, height, epitome, peak, pinnacle, acme, zenith, nonpareil, dernier cri, ne plus ultra; More
    informalda bomb;
    dated,the bee's knees, the cat's pajamas/whiskers/meow
    "the ultimate in Bohemian chic"
    a final or fundamental fact or principle.

Does this mean no more Chopped championships?  Pretty please? 

• Love 2

Is Carnie Wilson an "Ultimate Champion"? 

I just saw her on a Chopped re-run, where she was playing on behalf of the Bariatric Surgery Association, and she was a breathless flibbertygibbit disaster.

Seems like her appearance on Guy vs. Rachel wasn't too much past the "I use cilantro in my tuna salad!" level.

Chef de Jean-Georges would probably pulverize Carnie in the ice cream machine.  Was Michael Imperioli unavailable?

Edited to say:  Oops, I see now that Carnie's already been, er, mentioned in the "Shows of 2014" thread.  Sorrow.

Edited by candall
  • Love 1

candall, it's a question we all ask ourselves. Why in the hell is she part of this show? :)

Yep, I'm totally redundant.  I had a big laugh when someone on the other thread remembered Carnie's tuna salad on Rachel vs. Guy, with utter disdain.  Hee.

Why was there only one grille? Is this something new now, they're going to make the contestants fight for things now? And I couldn't believe when Ted said they couldn't judge them on their stories, since when?

Why was there only one grille? Is this something new now, they're going to make the contestants fight for things now? And I couldn't believe when Ted said they couldn't judge them on their stories, since when?

You mean other than the ice cream machine I assume, right? ;)

Yes, other than the ice cream machine. They always have grilles at each station, especially when they have something like a steak, if they're going to make people battle for the equipment now, I'm done.

• Love 1

Either production forgot to put out more than one grille, and the fight ensued.... Ted does his evil laugh and says "Let's leave that in, it's high drama!!" .... or they did it on purpose hoping just what would happen. I know they've always had more than one grille pan, always. To only have two when there are three people cooking steaks was asking for trouble.

• Love 1

I was so delighted to see the commercial that showed the leftover produce from the show is donated to a food bank. Finally, my faith in FN not being stingy is restored.

Not mine.  I can just see them around the vagina table gloating over how they turned a disposal expense into a tax deduction.

I'm already going to hell so it won't hurt to say I disliked all the amateurs in this round and was left cold by whatever shreds of their stories I didn't successfully skip over.  Show, I will never care about the personal lives of your contestants.

• Love 1

Show, I will never care about the personal lives of your contestants.

Several months ago, I decided to FF past the intros, which eliminates a huge chunk of the sob stories.  Doesn't prevent me hearing when they intersperse the stories all through the cooking, but it helps.  I hated that the two at the end felt the need to try to gain sympathy instead of relying on the quality of their work. 

I thought the judges, and Scott in particular, were really harsh in their critique of Dinah.  And I didn't especially like Dinah.  Why is everyone charmed and astounded that Elda, a woman who's been cooking all her life, is actually good at it? 

• Love 1

I thought the judges, and Scott in particular, were really harsh in their critique of Dinah.  And I didn't especially like Dinah.  Why is everyone charmed and astounded that Elda, a woman who's been cooking all her life, is actually good at it? 

I picked up on that, too. I think what annoyed the judges was the way Dinah presented her dishes, i.e. "I'm about to temp your tastebuds with..." She said something with similar alliteration during the entree' round. It seems to depend on what crew is manning the judges table, but it's difficult to know how familiar or cutesy you can get with them.

I was perfectly happy to see Keith take Elda down. Yes, he had the requisite sob story down pat,but there was something about Elda I didn't like. I noticed her facial expressions while she was cooking and she looked pretty steely, the antithesis of the sweet grandmother persona she was wearing. I laughed after the grill pan battle when Keith had the superior steak having had to cook his in a sautee' pan.

• Love 1

Contestant A: I could never do what you do!

Contestant B: I could never do what you do!

Contestant C: Thank you for your service!

Contestant D: No, thank you for your service.

Me: I think I'll check out what's happening in the Mets game.

• Love 2