Type keyword(s) to search

Bad Judge - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The more over the top the show goes, the more I'm actually somehow magically okay with it.

Nobody need think this is even slightly realistic.  It doesn't need to be.

Is the show terrible?  Sure.  But it's head and shoulders over something like The Mysteries of Laura, which has pretensions of being pseudo-serious.  

• Love 2

I liked him too and was rooting for Ryan Hansen too. As your handle says, oh well.

Blaze just needs to stay away from shows with bad in the title.

I'm more impressed with how middle of the road that this show is. It's not horrible and it's not good either, it's just there. It ticks off all of the comedy checkmarks and does little to shock one way or the other. Which is unfortunate for a show with bad in the title.

• Love 1

Not NEARLY as bad as The Mysteries of Laura.

These are the two new shows I've already yanked off my DVR.  TMOL made it for 2 episodes.  Bad Judge was deleted after one.  It was execrable.  Not at all what I'd expected. And I actually like Kate Walsh, but not here.

Edited by Jillybean
This can't be said enough -- this show is not funny.  Seriously, that was just awful.

Agreed. It's not even that the Kate Walsh character is not funny or we're supposed to find her "quirkiness" amusing. What lost me in this episode was that she got high and then called the police and 911 because she was tripping. Given how they've been setting up the character, there's no way it was the first time she got high, so that part was ridiculous, and really, only happened so she could score some fireman beefcake.

And I'm tired of these workplace comedies where boss and underling are "besties." When her car breaks down, she doesn't think to call AAA or some other roadside service? No, she calls her bailiff who not only picks her up but offers her words of wisdom.

That being said, when the van was destroyed, I laughed. Although, would a tanker truck have kept going after destroying a van? Isn't that, oh I don't know, illegal?

Nobody need think this is even slightly realistic.  It doesn't need to be.

I agree it does not need to be. If it were a farce where the Bad Judge was unleashed on a show universe that was as wacky as her, this might be enjoyable. It worked brilliantly for Night Court. But TPTB would rather present her as a maverick in a universe much like our own. Not to mention that it also wants us to see her as brilliant despite not being shown anything that justifies such a description. And it also wants to tug at our heartstrings with her romantic troubles and with her relationship with that kid. And lets not forget all the lessons it wants to impart with the case of the week.

I agree, this would work better if we didn't take it seriously. And it would be easier for us to do so if the show cut out all elements that practically beg for us to do so.

Edited by reggiejax

That being said, when the van was destroyed, I laughed. Although, would a tanker truck have kept going after destroying a van? Isn't that, oh I don't know, illegal?

Yes, but if the driver was operating illegally (e.g. DUI or suspended license), he might panic and choose to keep going.

Episode Description:

Rebecca attempt to become friends with the court stenographer after she forgets her name and also looks for a way to get retribution after failing to find justice in the courtroom.

Uggh.  That opening scene was brutal -- she knocks the firefighter out cold, dumps him on the floor and leaves.  The only redeeming factor was that at least she checked to see if he was alive before bolting for the door.  And then she dumps him again at the impound lot by driving away in a car that she doesn't own and is likely no longer licensed or insured while she is driving it off the lot.  Oh that wacky judge. </snark>

Did I miss something about the defense lawyer, because she wasn't all that and a bag of chips that they made her out to be ?

The nonsense with the stenographer was really bad too -- because it wasn't even mildly amusing.

I get that she's a 'bad judge' and all but committing disbarment level behavior with the prosecuting attorney, in front of a witness (the bailiff) is still wrong.  And then following it up with completely none too subtle gestures during court that the fix is in.  Once the case is dismissed, Rebecca decides to berate the defendant that she is out to get him if he plays grab ass again followed by assaulting him the parking lot, with no repercussions at all.  All because she was a waitress with a shitty boss once upon a time.  None of which was funny.

The bailiff continues to be the highlight of this show.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

It's totally ridiculous, but for some reason I'm on the side of liking this show.  Not so much I'd be disappointed if it left the air, but frankly I don't mind the over-the-topness, because it's kind of what's on the can, so to speak.  I won't hold this one to any standards of realism, because its not pretending even a micro-kernel of realism.

Also, while I've hated all of her previous shows, I've always liked Kate Walsh in interviews, on talk shows, etc.  From them she always appears to be far more THIS uncouth outrageous person than the kind of drippy annoying melodramatic character she played on Grays and that other show.

• Love 1

There is some funny stuff going on for me but the two main plots (the courtroom stuff with the bar owner, and the stenographer) just didn't really interest me. I think they would be better off just making the actual courtroom stuff just various bits, rather than having it be a continuous story that runs through the episode.  I mean I didn't care about BJ Knockers, and the fact that the case didn't really go anywhere kind of made it worse.  That said I always like a good Fast Times at Ridgemont High/Moving in Stereo reference. And I did laugh at how the defense lawyer's outfits got more and more ridiculous each time.

It's totally ridiculous, but for some reason I'm on the side of liking this show.  Not so much I'd be disappointed if it left the air, but frankly I don't mind the over-the-topness, because it's kind of what's on the can, so to speak.  I won't hold this one to any standards of realism, because its not pretending even a micro-kernel of realism.

I don't care about the lack of realism either. I mean do people complain about how no commercial airline flight would ever be like what happened on the movie Airplane?

• Love 1

I didn't realize the show was begging me to take it seriously. I think it's a madcap adventure show, kind of a white collar wish fulfillment fantasy for those who want to be badass and rebellious while still pulling in the paycheck of an upper middle clean hands job..

Does anyone remember the show "The Good Guys"? It was about two cops who caused mayhem while solving cases. This is like that, in that it's not the least bit realistic, but it's fun.

4 episodes in -- still not funny, though Tedward the bailiff is good.

I just don't believe that judges get this involved in every case that comes across their desk -- tends to take away from the impartiality they are supposed to exhibit.

And the Super Big Gulp cup and giant red headphones need to go.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

Another week, another series low -- dropped from 1.2 to 1.0 in 18-49 ratings, dropped from 4 to 3 in the 18-49 share, and dropped from 4.69 to 4.33 million viewers.   In the past two weeks, it has lost 800,000+ viewers.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/10/24/tv-ratings-thursday-scandal-how-to-get-away-with-murder-rise-reign-bad-judge-fall-gracepoint-flat/318805/

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

4 episodes in -- still not funny, though Tedward the bailiff is good.

I just don't believe that judges get this involved in every case that comes across their desk -- tends to take away from the impartiality they are supposed to exhibit.

Keeps getting better. I laughed a lot during this episode. "His grandma wife is going to be pissed." - Ha!

I'm in the middle between these two extremes reactionwise.  

I think the show is reasonably consistent.  It's not getting worse or better, but it's not dreadful either. I've been finding a moderate amount of humor in each episode, and I do think the execution isn't horrid overall.  

I don't think there's any burden to prove "that judges get this involved in every case", because of course she's not every judge--she's a malcontent, and that's the whole notion here.  It's impossible that a malcontent would even HAVE her job, of course, but that's the big conceit we have to let go for the show at all. Once you do, her being this unprofessional with her cases is just part and parcel of it.  It's an outrageous show, not a realistic one, and the quality of the jokes, while not really stellar, are hit and miss enough that I'm not disgusted by the whole thing.  Yet.  That could change if the show continues to be at the same medium level and not age into better writing.

Episode Description:

Rebecca serves on the jury of a prostitution case. Tedward trains Gary to be Rebecca's potential replacement for the Serpico Olympics.

That was not good -- Rebecca acted like an ass throughout the show since rules aren't made for her and then she decides to go all Henry Fonda in '12 Angry Men' over a prostitution case, 'cause she is all about helping people she thinks have been wronged. 

Shouldn't there have been a bailiff preventing her from taking the food into the jury room ?  And rounding up the jurors when they were late.

Rob Riggle was funny as the jury foreman, and I loved that he called her out for dressing like a hooker, since she's supposed to be "a judge".  And that everyone was sick of her reminding them that she was "a judge".

Can't repeat this enough -- the Super Big Gulp cup and the red headphones need to go.

The Serpico Olympics -- I'm assuming that was the name of the bar (didn't really pay attention to that details), but why was there only two teams in a bar full of people.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

Episode Description:

A law school nemesis challenges Rebecca's authority in an outrageous case

Good thing this has been canceled -- because it ain't getting any better.

Despite the moral lesson at the end of the episode, Rebecca came off as petty and narcissistic as ever -- and completely unprofessional as a judge in court when dealing with her so-called nemesis.  And it wasn't even smirk-worthy let alone funny.

Since when does a D.A. prosecute frivolous civil lawsuits --  how about never if there was no actual crime involved.  The court case in question should have been tossed out of small claims court it was so stupid, yet some tightass saw a guy's bare ass and she was suing for damages of $3 million in pain and suffering -- seriously ?

Tedward's Conan-con 'B' plot wasn't funny at all, which is surprising because Tedward is usually at least interesting.

I've been watching the new series 'Benched' on USA Network, and that's a way more interesting courtroom comedy.  And it's actually funny.   And it has Jay Harrington from 'Better Off Ted'.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

With a cancellation notice firmly in its back pocket, Bad Judge drops to yet another series low -- loses approx. another 300K viewers dropping from 3.96 to 3.68 million viewers while the other rating indices remain flat.   In the past four weeks, it has lost 1.5 million+ viewers.  At this pace, I think it will be yanked off the Thursday time slot before they air all 13 episodes.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/11/07/thursday-final-ratings-the-vampire-diaries-mom-the-mccarthys-two-and-a-half-men-bad-judge-a-to-z-elementary-parenthood-the/324928/?utm_campaign=WP%20%3E%20Twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

While helping her friend Michelle get through a divorce, Rebecca is scared off by Gary's commitment-themed romantic night. Tedward helps Hernandez through a fashion crisis, and Rebecca tries the case of a deaf man who steals shoes.

That was not a good episode -- the case of the week was just an unfunny waste of time, Tedward trying to get the Judge Hernandez to take a new photo was barely smirk-worthy, and Rebecca's commitment phobia/petty jealousy about Gary was not funny either.  I get it -- their fuck-buddies, check your emotions at the door already.

Two highlights:

1) Kate Walsh committing to the opening scene by drinking from the sprinkler head, after a hungover stagger across the lawn in a mini-skirt.
2) Angela Kinsey looked awesome in that low cut dress.  Damn.

• Love 1

I was a big mourner of the cancellation, until this episode. It was so bad I don't even have anything I can defend. Other than the bailiff making a face for the jealousy selfie, everything was flat and dull. 

• Love 1

This episode is bad to the core because, you know what, judges and lawyers can not be members of jury. It is not just up to the presiding judge to decide. It is simply can not happen

I was wondering about that. I know in Canada typically they wouldn't let judges or lawyers be on juries. I wasn't sure if it was the same in the US.

The thing that bugs me is that the show has a solid cast but just ends up being really bad. I mean the idea of friends from a courthouse playing bar games could have been interesting, but the games seemed dumb. Plus I have never served on jury duty, but wouldn't the case only run during the work day? So does that mean if the Bad Judge (whatever her name is) hadn't been called into jury duty  she would have skipped out of work early to go to a bar and play games (along with the court officer, the DA and the stenographer)? That makes no sense.

Oh yeah, this was worse than the previous eps, not sure if I can keep watching until the end.

Having only seen Ryan Hansen in this, Bad Teacher and Burning Love...can he play any other type of character? He doesn't seem to have any range other than the good-looking guy who all the girls want, or at least want to bang.

That was just awful.  Again.  This show will be lucky to stay on the air for the remainder of it's filmed episodes at this pace.

Rebecca was the drummer in a band called 'Bitch Kitten' with her Australian husband -- a band that she quit 10 years ago.  Now said ex-husband fakes the death of their cat (the 'friend' in the episode description) to get Rebecca into their old house for a cat memorial as a ruse in order to get her to play drums for a band audition.  A band that hasn't updated their set list in 10 years just so Rebecca could jump right back in.  Could the writers of this show possibly jam in a few more stupid plot ideas into this show ?

Tedward's romance of the girlfriend of a recently convicted felon didn't really do anything for me either -- though Judge Hernandez's crack about Tedward's beard was kind of funny.

Since when does a D.A. prosecute frivolous civil lawsuits --  how about never if there was no actual crime involved.  The court case in question should have been tossed out of small claims court it was so stupid, yet some tightass saw a guy's bare ass and she was suing for damages of $3 million in pain and suffering -- seriously ?

That really didn't make any sense. I mean the DA might ask for jail time or a fine, but I don't think he would be allowed to ask for damages for a client (nor would he have a client). For that matter I am almost certain that a judge can't force a defendant to testify. I usually like crazy/absurd workplace shows but you need some kind of standard internal logic to them. I am sure there are no radio stations like Newsradio and no hospitals like Scrubs (two excellent over the top crazy workplace comedies) but for both I can believe there basis was in those places of work and that there was even a tiny little kernel of truth to how they portray those places.

• Love 1

Over Christmas, Rebecca tries the case of "Face Mask Mom," a mother who tackled a PeeWee football player. The trial is made difficult by a sweltering heat, and the air conditioning can only be fixed by a specific union worker that is nowhere to be found. Face Mask Mom and Rebecca realize they can truly enjoy the holidays when surrounded by good friends.

Wow that was stupid !  Even stupider than normal for this show.

Do the writers honestly not know how at-work Secret Santa generally operates ?  Because it normally includes an exchange of gifts, you know, AT WORK, not at someone's house on the actual holiday.  

Can a judge really mandate community service to occur on a statutory holiday ?

Rebecca helps her friend Michelle get over her divorce, but soon realizes not everyone enjoys her making judgments on their decisions. Meanwhile, Tom and Tedward join forces to convince a witness to testify. Hernandez has to endure a sexual harassment course with Judy.

Seriously, are they still burning off this trainwreck ?

This episode was just terrible -- it was obviously a weekday, because the judge and Tedward went to work the very next day and Michelle said she had to work on the day of the party, so why were the 20 somethings throwing a party in the middle of the week -- in the middle of the day ?  Would all of their friends also have the day off -- or did they all work at night ?  But if they all got drunk -- and freely wasted a lot of alcohol, how would they go to work at night ?  And why would Tedward and the DA have the day off if the judge just spontaneously blows the day off.  That makes about as much sense as having an office secret Santa exchange on Xmas Day.

And no, that is not how they store bricks of hashish in an evidence lockup -- sitting on a shelf.  The judge, Tedward and the DA should have all been fired for those shenanigans in the evidence lockup.

And apparently Judy is a sexual predator at work.  That move she pulled on the judge at the end of the episode would also get someone fired. Holy crap !

The con the DA and Tedward pulled on that guy only works if you don't discuss how you put one over on him with front car window WIDE open so that he can hear everything.

The only positive note -- Angela Kinsey in a blue bikini. That is all.

• Love 1

Sure it was New Year's Day, but Bad Judge ratings took a huge dive.  Compared to its previous outing, Bad Judge dropped from 0.9 to 0.5 in 18-49 ratings, 3 to 1 in 18-49 share and from 3.68 to 2.09 million total viewers.  Ouch !!  NBC really needs to hurry up and put something with a pulse in this Thursday 9 pm timeslot otherwise they will have to start giving advertisers their money back. </snark>

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/01/02/tv-ratings-thursday-a-to-z-bad-judge-see-huge-slides-the-taste-hits-new-low/345293/

• Love 1