Type keyword(s) to search

Bad Judge - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I am! The trailer looks hilarious. And I love Kate Walsh.

Color me shocked. It actually DOES.

As for Kate Walsh I have consistently liked her anytime I've seen her on a talk show or candid appearance, because she comes off as very witty and a little bit unhinged (in a good way) but also consistently hated what she's done on every TV show she's been on (mostly because I hated the shows and the writing, not her per se).  So maybe seeing her do something more in line with her real personality rather than TV melodrama might be a good thing.

Talk about Media!

"Nurse Jackie Co-Creator Set As 'Bad Judge' Showrunner" - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nurse-jackie-creator-set-as-705951

"NBC's Bad Judge Recasts Roles" - http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/nbc-bad-judge-cw-izombie-recast-roles/

NBC comedy Bad Judge is recasting two roles, played in the pilot by Mather Zickel and Arden Myrin

The two characters on Bad Judge are expected to undergo reworking. The project just-enlisted Liz Brixius as showrunner. Written by Chad Kultgen, Bad Judge, from Universal TV and Gary Sanchez, stars Kate Walsh as wild child Rebecca Wright, who knows how to have a good time but she also happens to be one of L.A.’s toughest and most respected criminal court judges. Zickel played Gary, a psychiatrist who has an on-again, off-again relationship with Rebecca, often is called into her courtroom as an expert witness — and often winds up necking furiously with her in chambers. Myrin played Jenny, Rebecca’s best friend who is privy to all the details of Rebecca’s scattered, tumultuous romantic life.

I wonder if they'll actually reshoot those scenes.

I don't know about the friend role, but I do confess the guy who was supposed to be the romantic interest DID seem pretty unlikely from what we see of him in the trailer (or at the very least one without a big ugly beard and ugly black plastic frame glasses).  I mean they go from one scene with Kate Walsh making out with that guy, to a different guy who's some kind of school principal or teacher a few scenes later who ALSO has a big black beard and plastic frame glasses, and there's a joke about how UGLY that guy is.

I wonder if they'll actually reshoot those scenes.

I assume they would have to reshoot.

I admit I didn't think Mather Zickel was very cute in the trailler. Maybe if he would shave.

October can't be here soon enough.

consistently hated what she's done on every TV show she's been on (mostly because I hated the shows and the writing, not her per se)

Have you seen Fargo? Her role in the series isn't that big, but boy, ain't that show awesome. Very looking forward to the finale next week.

October can't be here soon enough.

Have you seen Fargo? Her role in the series isn't that big, but boy, ain't that show awesome. Very looking forward to the finale next week.

Yes, I've seen it (but admittedly had not been thinking of it as "her show" really, since she's barely there).

Yes, I've seen it (but admittedly had not been thinking of it as "her show" really, since she's barely there).

Ah, I don't see it as "her show" either (she really only guest stars), just that you mentioned "every show she's been on" so not sure if you'd seen it.

Anyway, better go back to that forum before I digress too far off this topic here :) Really enjoying reading posts over there.

Nope. It looks like Bad Teacher + Rake. This can only end in tears. Or I'll be wrong and it'll last forever because hey, Mike and Molly is still on.

If "The Millers" and "Mom" can get renewals, it sounds like any old trash can.

Will not watch.   I deal on a regular basis with very hard working judges.   They do the best they can sometimes with limited information or are hamstrung by stupid laws.   But they do their best.   To have a show that makes a mockery of a being a judge just for laughs is not funny to me.   

• Love 1

Looks horrible to me. I don't mind unrealistic portrayals of professions on TV, but there has to be some semblance of believability. I know it's played for laughs, but this woman clearly wouldn't have the determination and drive it takes to become a lawyer, much less a judge.

• Love 1

Plus, not nearly enough Ryan Hansen being funny (though there's a fair amount of Ryan Hansen being shirtless, so the pilot doesn't totally fail him).

As a rating system, the shirtless scale has never steered me wrong.

• Love 4

I liked it and I don't really care for comedies. It was a little all over the place, but came together nicely at the end. I love Kate Walsh, so I will definitely stick around.

Edited by fabinpink

Been looking forward to this, watched premiere, LOVED it!  I liked "Private Practice" but I think Kate Walsh does a sitcom better.  It is a sitcom, right?  Sitcoms make a mockery of everyone, all professions, all walks of life.  People that get offended are usually people that take themselves and life way too seriously. If one makes you all indignant and ruffles your little feathers there's a simple remedy, don't watch it.  Personally,  I thought 30 minutes was much too short, I'd have no problem watching for an hour.  There's nothing to watch about 4 nights each week and they cram all the good stuff into 3. No DVR, so often don't catch up with sitcoms until they roll out as daytime reruns, but it will take some stiff competition in this time slot to pull me away from "Bad Judge".

• Love 3

Huh. Guess I'm in the minority, but I found this more odd than enjoyable. Kate Walsh as an actress seems to be the only redeeming quality, but the character herself is too broad and ridiculous. It's supposed to be a comedy, so I feel like the writers were trying for "wacky party girl" but overdid it into something much more maladaptive, to the point that I don't think it's believable that she's still employed, and I kind of want to help steer her into rehab rather than laughing at her wacky hijinks every week. I also need more backstory. For example, why does she drive that insane van? I mean, first of all judges draw a paycheck, so she should be able to afford a normal car, but even if she's spending all her money on meth, why that hideous van instead of some nondescript beater?

• Love 3

I was out pretty quickly.  I like Chris Parnell, but bringing both wives to court was establishing a mood of unrealism that was a little too jarring, and then her immediately kissing one of the attorneys?  I like silly comedy, but it should take a lesson from South Park and build to the absurdity.  I might try again in a few episodes if the writing finds its legs.

Huh. Guess I'm in the minority, but I found this more odd than enjoyable. Kate Walsh as an actress seems to be the only redeeming quality, but the character herself is too broad and ridiculous. It's supposed to be a comedy, so I feel like the writers were trying for "wacky party girl" but overdid it into something much more maladaptive, to the point that I don't think it's believable that she's still employed, and I kind of want to help steer her into rehab rather than laughing at her wacky hijinks every week. I also need more backstory. For example, why does she drive that insane van? I mean, first of all judges draw a paycheck, so she should be able to afford a normal car, but even if she's spending all her money on meth, why that hideous van instead of some nondescript beater?

How would a wacky party girl like this ever get a job in the first place, let alone keep that job ?  If she is this big of a mess as a judge, how would she have ever kept a job as a lawyer to even get enough experience to be considered for a judgeship ?

Comparing this to Night Court is a disservice, as Night Court was actually funny.  Where's John Larroquette when you need him ?

• Love 2

Oh, Kate. How I adore thee.

The show is definitely over the top and silly, but she does comedy so well that I'll forgive it and definitely keep watching. I took an instant liking to the rest of the cast as well, and that's odd for me, so I'm taking that as a good sign. I just wish the show was an hour long.

• Love 1

If they were going to remove the kid from the show, why not just remove him from the pilot. I have a feeling that in the original script that his vitriol towards her was justified, now, not so much. He just came off as a spoiled prick who the judge should've just ignored his calls. I'm interested in seeing where this show goes now that a new show runner has taken over.

It has a strong pedigree

Bad Judge is an American legal comedy television series that was co-created by, Chad Kultgen and Anne Heche. Kultgen and Heche also serve as executive producers, along with Will Ferrell, Kate Walsh, Adam McKay, Chris Henchy, Betsy Thomas, and Jill Sobel Messick for Universal Television.[1] The series will debut on NBC during the 2014–15 television season, where it will air on Thursday nights at 9 pm (ET/PT)/8 pm (CT).[2] The series premiered on October 2, 2014.[3]

probably seemed like a good gig.

If she is this big of a mess as a judge, how would she have ever kept a job as a lawyer to even get enough experience to be considered for a judgeship ?

Judgeships can be a matter of who you know, but how did she get her law degree to begin with?

• Love 1

Episode Description:

Rebecca tries to clear her head with some alone time after realising she's not ready to move forward from Gary. A mishap with her vehicle makes her realise the importance of her relationship with Tedward.

This can't be said enough -- this show is not funny.  Seriously, that was just awful.

Kate Walsh deserves something so much better than this dreck.

• Love 1

I laughed some and cringed some. This show has its moments and has potential, but it needs to find its footing and some direction. I really did love the ending. Thank goodness that ugly van is gone. There needs to be some balance to all the wacky. Otherwise, it is just too much.

I like the show, and laugh a lot. While maybe it's possible a judge could do all she does in court(doubtful) ultimately if the judge is an elected official, she'd be ousted. That's where they lose me.

For my house right now, the bailiff is the highlight of every episode.

• Love 2

This can't be said enough -- this show is not funny.  Seriously, that was just awful.

Kate Walsh deserves something so much better than this dreck

I totally agree with the first part and totally disagree with the second part.

I gave it a shot, but I tapped out after she flipped off the paparazzi, and its just chalked up as "oh that wacky Bad Judge".  I don't think so. You know a show is bad when I would rather endure Scandal.

How would a wacky party girl like this ever get a job in the first place, let alone keep that job ?  If she is this big of a mess as a judge, how would she have ever kept a job as a lawyer to even get enough experience to be considered for a judgeship ?

I like it. Sure it is crazy and over the top unrealistic, but you could say that about any sitcom. I mean how would a real estate company run by the Bluth family ever make any money? How would a company like Dunder Miffilin ever make money either? How would Jake Perelata ever make it through police academy?  To put it short it's TV, I don't need it to be real, especially if it is a comedy.

@springtime

Did anyone catch the line about the van and Hillary Clinton?

Missed it the both times I saw this episode!

She said she used the van to campaign for Hillary Clinton, until she asked to her to stop which she understood. 

@reggiejax

I gave it a shot, but I tapped out after she flipped off the paparazzi, and its just chalked up as "oh that wacky Bad Judge".

Yeah, it's bad. What's really disengaging for me is they haven't explained in any way why she is so wacky and bad. Has she always been like this? Then how did she ever become a judge? A little context here and there would have been helpful. Or I think the show is so bad this is the only thing I can focus on. 

@Ohwell

I hope the guy who plays the bailiff can find some work when this show tanks.

I liked him too and was rooting for Ryan Hansen too. As your handle says, oh well. 

Not NEARLY as bad as The Mysteries of Laura.

That's a thin recommendation, but there you go.  Since this is an over-the-top comedy, I can accept a ton of unrealistic bullshit, and Kate Walsh can pull off almost anything (and comes damn close here).