Type keyword(s) to search

So You Think You Can Be Spoiled?

• Start Topic

I checked IdolForums (yay great spoilers and speculation).  Found this:

According to Variety, Josh Bergasse ("Smash") will choreograph the T20 opening number next week, which will be "New York, New York". He's the choreo for the revival "On the Town" on Broadway, and one of the prizes for this season's SYTYCD winner is supposed to be a role in the show.

There are also postings noting that Dave Scott and Sean Cheeseman are choreographing.

Speculation that pairings include either Teddy/Emily or Teddy/Valerie, and Rudy/Emily or Rudy/Valerie based on pics posted on dancers' social media accounts.  There are also groupings showing Casey, Ricky and Zack going to rehearsal with Brooklyn, Jacque, and Tanisha, so possible pairings there too.

Likely one double elimination--seems that Nigel has confirmed on Twitter--and someone posted unsubstantiated but supposedly solid finale date of 9/3.

Spoilers for tomorrow night's show???  Anyone?  I know that it being live makes it difficult, but I am really not cool with being surprised if the surprising is concocted by Nigel Lithgoe and his band of flying monkeys.

Keone and Mariel Madrid are choreographing a piece this week, yay! I hope it's something brand spankin' new, but I have a feeling it might be a routine that they've already done. If "Latch" hadn't already been used last week, I would've guessed they'd do their Latch duet.

Keone also mentioned that Pharside (from Academy of Villians) and Krystal (the first Krystal who comes to mind is Krystal Meraz, so it should be her!) are doing the group routine. I'm super excited to see new choreographers on the show!

• Love 2

I want to know what Jenna's ballroom options were because it's no coincidence she picked one of her boyfriend's "fam" members to be her SYTYCD partner.  Something tells me it wasn't solely because he was the best one there.  Also her partner was in the DWTS troupe for one season and got kicked to the curb.  

I really wish they would change up the all star pros.  Why can't we get Chelsie Hightower for a season instead of Jenna?  It amuses me the show continually tries to act like she was super popular when she only lasted as long as she did thanks to Nigel endlessly saving her.  

• Love 3
(edited)
43 minutes ago, romantic idiot said:

She was good though. He shouldn't have had too. I hope an Indian makes it eventually. I am surprised at no Chaz but otherwise I can't find a weak one in the bunch. Poor Paul at getting someone who hasn't been featured yet.

Besides Paul's partner, I don't remember Allison's or Robert's partners either.  It's a good Top 10 from the ones that I remember.  I agree that Jenna is a good and versatile dancer.  That season, the choreographers also picked who to save and every body said that she's a hard worker.  I just don't think the audience votes for ballroom dancers versus other styles.  I thought Tanisha was the most versatile on her season and Witney and Lindsay took turns being at the bottom.   Benji was the most successful and it had to do with with personality and showmanship.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Keekski said:

I had Lex pegged as the next winner the minute I saw him audition. I can't believe Gaby got him! 

Gaby and Lex are castmates in Travis Wall's dance group "Shaping Sound".  They're both in Travis's touring production titled: "After the Curtain", so they probably know each other pretty well.  

Here's a video of Travis and Lex performing a number from "After the Curtain".  Lex is really a standout for me, and I hope he goes all the way to win this season of SYTYCD.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, SnarkyTart said:

Gaby and Lex are castmates in Travis Wall's dance group "Shaping Sound".  They're both in Travis's touring production titled: "After the Curtain", so they probably know each other pretty well.  

Here's a video of Travis and Lex performing a number from "After the Curtain".  Lex is really a standout for me, and I hope he goes all the way to win this season of SYTYCD.

I hate knowing this.  I was looking forward to seeing what he could do during the actual competition.  Now I'll always have it in the back of my head that he has an advantage(s)--Travis and Gaby.

Well I guess we already know one of the finalists.

Edited by crossover
(edited)
46 minutes ago, crossover said:

Now I'll always have it in the back of my head that he has an advantage(s)--Travis and Gaby

I get that.  I do.  But, all or most of the top 10 have probably performed professionally in some capacity that has brought them into contact with SYTYCD alumni.  Their career world is a relatively small universe

As @spanna posted upthread, Chris (Kiki) Nyemchek was one of the dance troupe professionals on Dancing With the Stars.  His all-star mentor, Jenna Johnson, was also on DWTS, and is Val Chmerkovsy's girlfriend.     When Nyemchek was cut from DWTS, Val went public with his comment that the producers had made a huge mistake because Nyemchek was one of the best dancers they'd ever had in the troupe.

Edited by SnarkyTart
  • Love 1
(edited)

Lex and Dassy were my favorite of the auditions though so I'd be happy to see him in the finals. Assuming he continues to be good and with that amount of cross training I see no reason why he wouldn't. Having said that I really don't think the all stars actually pick there partners. Any more than the assigned styles being random. Maybe if he's a TCO, the put him with Gaby because they think knowing each other will make for better chemistry.

Edited by romantic idiot
5 minutes ago, romantic idiot said:

Lex and Dassy were my favorite of the auditions though so I'd be happy to see him in the finals. Assuming he continues to be good and with that amount of cross training I see no reason why he wouldn't. Having said that I really don't think the all stars actually pick there partners. Any more than the assigned styles being random. Maybe if he's a TCO, the put him with Gaby because they think knowing each other will make for better chemistry.

You never know with any of these talent shows.  I would have thought Danny Tidwell (also Travis Wall's brother by adoption)was TCO in his season.  Instead, the show set Tidwell up to be repeatedly humilated, which I still haven't gotten over.  If they have anything similar planned for Lex Ishimoto, I will never forgive them.

7 minutes ago, SnarkyTart said:

I get that.  I do.  But, all or most of the top 10 have probably performed professionally in some capacity that has brought them into contact with SYTYCD alumni.  Their career world is a relatively small universe

As @spanna posted upthread, Chris (Kiki) Nyemchek was one of the dance troupe professionals on Dancing With the Stars.  His all-star mentor, Jenna Johnson, was also on DWTS, and is Val Chmerkovsy's girlfriend.     When Nyemchek was cut from DWTS, Val went public with his comment that the producers had made a huge mistake because Nyemchek was one of the best dancers they'd ever had in the troupe.

Agree about the small universe.  Really don't have a problem with them being professionals.  In fact, I wish SYTYCD would pick more older dancers.  Don't get me wrong, I pick Lex to at least be one of the finalist.  I pick Nyemchek to be top 5 because of his connections.  SYTYCD voters don't really support ballroom but Mary is already on record as wanting to dance with him--Paso, I believe.  So that should help him.  But Travis and Gaby are direct SYTYCD connections--choreography and partnership.  That should amount to some of the best choreographed routines being given to him.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, romantic idiot said:

Lex is good but not Danny good, from what I've seen so far.    IMO  of course

Amen to that!  SYTYCD has never seen the likes of Danny again, nor will they.  He was the most brilliant dancer I've ever had the pleasure of seeing on my TV.  Still, I have hope that Lex will be one of the better dancers they've had on this show.  I just want to see great dancing, and don't really care all that much how the sausage gets made. :-)

• Love 4

I suppose it's hard not to choose someone you know and work with, because you have that other life to think about. But my problem is less that someone is chosen who's already a known quantity and more that an All-Stars wouldn't choose someone they don't know.  But of course, these aren't the early years, when we could hope a winner would rise from obscurity...

3 hours ago, romantic idiot said:

She was good though. He shouldn't have had too. I hope an Indian makes it eventually. I am surprised at no Chaz but otherwise I can't find a weak one in the bunch. Poor Paul at getting someone who hasn't been featured yet.

I'll agree to disagree.  Jenna is a talented dancer from a technique perspective.  But she's not a particularly good partner IMO because she has a long standing history of playing to the camera and not her partner, and sometimes overdancing.  She's one of those people that might be fun to watch on stage when she's not all in your face, but from a tv perspective needs to tone it all the way down.  So talented technique wise?  For sure.  A great performer, IMO no.  I like my SYTYCD all stars to be people who aren't all "me me me" and who understand that it's not all about them.  I know she's Mandy Moore's pet, so yes, I get she's beloved on SYTYCD behind the scenes.  She's gotten one shot at pro in maybe 7 seasons in DWTS so clearly they don't find her too easy to partner either.

But IMO not just in relation to Jenna, I'm tired of seeing the same all stars all the time.  Nigel has to have a bigger pool to pick from besides the handful we see season to season.  I know there were a few substitutions this season but my main reason for being over the show is the rehashing of the same talent over and over, even during the seasons where we get fresh blood. I'd rather have a season of just the newbies competing without the all stars cheesing for more airtime.   

• Love 3

I love the Allstars on the show for the most part, but have to agree, It would be nice to see some that are different.  You wouldn't want someone who wasn't top ten, so that makes the math easy -- there's 120 to pick from at the moment.  A lot of them will be working too hard (Twitch) or too old (Artem) or too high profile (Travis) to be a mentor allstar on the show.  It's interesting that Allison has joined - does this mean she's done with DWTS?  And there's the people who disappeared from the SYTYCD experience immediately upon release (Danny, Sabra?)  Also,  I'm sure the money isn't THAT great, but the exposure may be worth it.

I don't know if Allison is done with DWTS, but I wouldn't be surprised.  I like Allison but she didn't make for a very good DWTS partner because she doesn't have the ballroom skill set to be teaching complete newbies.  She only worked when paired with someone with previous dance experience.

When Nigel was asked on Twitter about the lack of rotation of the all-stars season to season, his answer was something along the lines of they asked a lot of people, but a lot of alums are working and couldn't do it.  Which in a way was sort of a weird backhanded diss at those that did come back because it implied that other alums were too busy with actual jobs. I think he's full of bull though.  I'm sure they asked some that turned them down and couldn't do it, but considering Chelsie Hightower liked the tweet about wanting more variety amongst the all-stars, something tells me she wasn't too busy to accept an offer if asked.

Artem is on the DWTS tour and besides that, I'm not sure DWTS will allow their main stable pros to be all-stars on SYTYCD.  Jenna is a little different since she has yet to hit the regular DWTS rotation and she wasn't even on the show last season.

• Love 1