Type keyword(s) to search

Hoarders We Know and Encounter

Update on my friend who stored her beat up car after getting a new one, (and she is paying storage and insurance costs) she actually goes and visits it and stores more stuff inside the car.  CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS? Of course you can.  She actually told me this and thought nothing of it?  Insane, but what can I say, we've been friends for a million years and I just keep my mouth shut. She can afford it. She wanted to go VISIT the car one day when we are out and about, and I PASSED. They really really really love their stuff huh?

• Love 4

It is now official that my Level 3 Hoarder brother will be going into assisted living.  One small room, and all he will have in it is what we bring him.  All of the stuff that has been so important to him (but not important enough to dust or keep clean) is going out in his complex driveway at a "moving sale."  We're hoping strangers will cart most of it off for us.

Honestly, rather than "drop dead," I think an even more hateful thing to say to someone is, "I hope you end up holding the Power of Attorney for a hoarder who has to go into assisted living."  I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy (if I had one).

• Love 9

Way back, I reported on a hoarder that I know (filled her house with newspapers--and apparently a 'treasure trove'--yeah, right!--of VHS movies, no water, no electricity, is in really bad health).  Well, I saw her the a while back and she said that she is going to have to have her house almost totally 'rebuilt' because of termite damage (she lives in a older wood frame home with a crawlspace underneath instead of a slab and the house is overgrown with vines, and surrounded by brush, weeds and low-hanging tree branches).  This was about a month ago and I haven't seen any construction activity at her house yet, so I wonder when (if ever) she'll have something done.  I'm just wondering what she will do with her house full of stuff if she does decide to have work done.  I do know that she has at least one storage unit at a nearby place because I was driving by one day and saw her walking across their parking lot towards the storage unit building pulling a luggage cart with several boxes and a couple of empty half gallon jugs tied to the top.  But if her house is as stuffed as I've heard she will need a lot of units to move everything.  And, I'm guessing that she wouldn't be able to get anyone to help her move, so maybe she's gradually moving everything before she allows workers on the property. 

• Love 2

After driving around the countryside in winter, I'm tempted to follow this definition:

Winter: when trees and shrubs lose their leaves and hoards dominate front porches and yards and pass for Christmas decorations, unchanged from last winter.  The accumulations that are hidden the rest of the year by living plants become visible for all to see.  And they really don't change from year to year. 

A car port we pass: has had the same stuff for more than 15 years, and at some point the stuff will be important in supporting the roof in exchange for the roofs protecting it for over a decade.

• Love 2

What is hard to realize is that a real hoarder can't smell their stink....I have almost literally burned my lungs out visiting a cat hoarder friend, seriously I had to leave, it HURT....and they live breathing that air. And, yes, she has serious lung problems.  (her doctors have no idea that she breaths that poison) oh God.....give me strength. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

What is hard to realize is that a real hoarder can't smell their stink....I have almost literally burned my lungs out visiting a cat hoarder friend, seriously I had to leave, it HURT....and they live breathing that air. And, yes, she has serious lung problems.  (her doctors have no idea that she breaths that poison) oh God.....give me strength. 

Yeah, my late Step-FIL couldn't smell just how disgusting his cat hoarded house smelled.  I could smell it outside, and I couldn't set foot inside after a certain point.  We were thrilled when he needed home health care, but when the nurse suggested that he clean up and get rid of some cats, he told her if she didn't like it, she could leave, and she never said anything further.  He died in that mess.  :(