Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Malivore

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, Diapason Untuned said:

They had plenty of time to ask the dryad about all of that stuff, They simply didn't care, because she wasn't a vampire, werewolf or a witch.

To be fair, she initially refused to answer any questions until they brought Oliver to her. After she found out that Oliver didn't remember her, she agreed to keep her end of the bargain and started answering questions but they hadn't gotten very far before the wind blew part of the circle away which is what allowed her to try for the knife.

I would like to believe that if the wind hadn't broken the circle that held her, she would have kept answering question that weren't knife-related (and hopefully one of the two would have thought to ask her more questions about the other creature).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4
54 minutes ago, ursula said:

That's not why Josie sent him away because the students already know that the monsters are after the knife. She sent him away because she doesn't know - nobody knows - what Landon is, and what other magical disaster he will knowingly or unknowingly trigger. And given the choice between protecting her family and the school ---- or basically giving Landon a bed so that he can be close to his big brother, Josie chose the decision that had the most pragmatic sense. 

Considering that Kaleb, who has knowingly and remorselessly brought problems down onto the school already, was rewarded for it instead of being sent away like Landon, that explanation rings hollow to me.

(because again, he has no known powers, the school has nothing to teach him outside the standard US high school curriculum, until his powers are identified, he's essentially a Squib in Hogwarts)

You keep using this comparison despite how faulty it is. Squibs have knowledge of magical society, which Landon doesn't. The school could at least teach him enough knowledge so that he doesn't inadvertently screw them over when he leaves.

4 hours ago, Diapason Untuned said:

They're still keeping the knife. So the danger to her family hasn't decreased. She's simply preventing some hypothetical danger that Landon might cause, which is a bad reason for getting rid of someone you should be helping.

Let's not pretend Josie was thinking of anyone but her family when she voted.

I agree, Landon himself is not the threat, it's the knife and it will keep attracting monsters, so they're still in danger. Anyway, we all know Landon's coming back, they're probably going to reveal he's "something" supernatural by the end of episode 7 or later on during the season, but I guess it will be the mid-season finale. 

---------------------------

I'm not pretending anything, she just said that the whole school is "family" and she won't risk putting it in danger anymore. Last time I checked, Rafael was part of the school, too. Although it was obvious she was talking about Lizzie and Alaric.

"Considering that Kaleb, who has knowingly and remorselessly brought problems down onto the school already, was rewarded for it instead of being sent away like Landon, that explanation rings hollow to me."

Kaleb hasn't done anything that the vampires living in Mystic falls for decades hasn't already done (Snatch, Eat, erase). Putting their vampire students on Stefan's bunny diet is a deservice to them. It makes them weaker (Stefan only started drinking human blood again in season 1 so that he could be strong enough to protect Elena)and therefore puts them in danger should they come across other similarly aged vampires and need to defend themselves. Kaleb's not wrong, Alaric is knowingly nerfing these kids and setting them up to fail once he sends them out into the real world and they haven't been practicing control.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Gwen-Stacys said:

Kaleb hasn't done anything that the vampires living in Mystic falls for decades hasn't already done (Snatch, Eat, erase).

Is that supposed to be a justification? Just because other vampires, most of whom were horrible, were doing it doesn't make it OK.

Putting their vampire students on Stefan's bunny diet is a deservice to them. It makes them weaker (Stefan only started drinking human blood again in season 1 so that he could be strong enough to protect Elena)and therefore puts them in danger should they come across other similarly aged vampires and need to defend themselves. Kaleb's not wrong, Alaric is knowingly nerfing these kids and setting them up to fail once he sends them out into the real world and they haven't been practicing control.

You have a point about the rabbit blood, but the solution is NOT assaulting people. Kaleb could petition Alaric to try buying blood or something.

12 hours ago, Gwen-Stacys said:

Kaleb's not wrong, Alaric is knowingly nerfing these kids and setting them up to fail once he sends them out into the real world and they haven't been practicing control.

There's also a narrative discontinuity here because the Caroline we saw in TVD/TO would never have endorsed this. Nor would even human!Caroline had endorsed the school throwing that game to fit in. She'd just have insisted that they play without powers (just like Penelope advised). I'd like to think that it's a Watsonian mistake but it feels Doylian ---- like the writers just came up with that storyline for drama without thinking of the overarching mythology or established characters.

• Love 1

The actress who plays Josie gave a pre-episode discussion

Q: In light of her burgeoning feelings for Rafael (Peyton Alex Smith), how will Josie react to the news of Lizzie and Rafael's steamy hook up last week?
Kaylee Bryant: [...] Josie doesn't have any claim over Raf. I feel like it's really easy for the fans to look to Raf and be like, "How dare you do this to Josie" or "How could Lizzie do this to Josie," when the reality is, the only person that Josie told that she had a crush on Raf was Hope. So you can't get mad at either one of those characters when Josie just never spoke up for herself. 

• Love 4

Yep, after this season ends, I'm gonna quit with this series. Might be interesting, but it is overcrowded by school dilemmas.

P.S. Would have been funny if Landon and Hope got hit by a bus at the end.

On 2018-11-30 at 4:51 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I've been shaking my head over Alaric's attitude to the new creatures popping up this season. His whole "but _____ don't exist!" argument holds no water considering what he's seen over the course of his time in Mystic Falls. At some point in his life, he thought vampires didn't exist either and then his wife became one. Then there was no such thing as a vampire werewolf hybrid...until Klaus (and then his minions). Then there was some supernatural rule about how vampires couldn't be witches...until Lillian and the Heretics. Then there was no such thing as a vampire witch werewolf...until Hope. So yeah, just saying that it doesn't exist/it's not real/it's only in fairytales is not really holding up there, Alaric!

I guess now it's just a matter of time before we find out what kind of new/old supernatural fairy tale creature Landon is. Dragon? Gargoyle? Dryad? Leprechaun? Hobbit? Tooth fairy?

And what exactly did he see in Mystic Falls, other than vampires, warevolves, witches, witch-vampires and "Devil wannabe", who was just a really powerful man-witch. Everything revolved around witch-stuff, actually (vampires and warevolves basically are products of a powerful curses). I'm betting that these fairy-tale creatures are also a by-product of a witch/wizard gone insane.

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Love 1