Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E08: The Coma and the Oxford Comma

When Holly first woke up, I thought we were going to find out that it was the smell of the makeup as Corky was applying the blusher that brought her out of the coma.

And I won't get into a debate about the amount of political humor, but I think they definitely earned that Trump jab.  Former pageant contestants, ten-year coma... how could they NOT?

• Love 17
On 11/16/2018 at 7:02 PM, illdoc said:

Incidentally, when everyone is in reruns Thanksgiving, why is there a new Murphy??? Yes, it is a Thanksgiving episode, but even so.....

I'm guessing because this season is gonna be it for this show.  I think they only revived it  as an FU to Trump in the first place.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

This show isn’t the only one airing new episodes on Thanksgiving Day.

Who else is doing it? You got me curious. :P

2 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I'm guessing because this season is gonna be it for this show.  I think they only revived it  as an FU to Trump in the first place.

If so... I'm glad they've been doing better as it's been going along. Just for the sake of it. Regardless of those who dislike it.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 3
On 11/16/2018 at 4:02 PM, illdoc said:

Incidentally, when everyone is in reruns Thanksgiving, why is there a new Murphy??? Yes, it is a Thanksgiving episode, but even so.....

Mostly because CBS remains lukewarm about the show and is wanting to complete the 13-episode order as soon as possible.

They haven't made a full-season order, but if Candice wants to do another year, I suspect it will get renewed for another dozen-episode season.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:18 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

How did Brooke Shields know there was Pam on the stairs?

Double jeopardy would prevent the husband from being re-charged with attempted murder.  Did he testify at his trial and will he then be charged with perjury?  The defense attorney will have a fairly easy time raising doubts about the memory of someone who was just in a 10-year coma, especially after Murphy told her about the husband's many affairs and the strong suspicion that he had pushed her (the wife) down the stairs.

Like someone else mentioned, it has a very distinct smell that she may have not recognized until it was too late.

He can't be re-tried for attempted murder, but there are other things he can be tried for, provided the statute of limitations hasn't run out, like hindering the investigation, lying to police, false reports, and other things.  Nothing there carries much jail time, but there are things they can do if they choose to.  They could also look in to his business dealings - there could be something there unrelated that they could send him to jail for.

• Love 2

Hi everyone!  Long time Murphy Brown fan; first time posting on this board.  Loving this reboot; I get at least one belly laugh every episode!  Candace Bergen looks great.  I agree with all the Avery drooling.  He played a Navy SEAL in the movie "American Sniper" and boyfriend sure could fill out a t shirt (although I prefer him now with the beard).

Interesting fact:  My oldest daughter is named Avery and while she was not exactly named after baby boy Brown, I heard the name on the show and thought it was nice.  Now that the show's back she has communicated that it was not cool at all that I gave her a "boy's name", nevermind the fact that TV Avery was named after Murphy's mother.

PS:  Ugh.  So I'm checking out the tushie on a man who is the same age as my daughter.  That just feels so wrong.

Edited by Pink-n-Green
EEEEW
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Pink-n-Green said:

So I'm checking out the tushie on a man who is the same age as my daughter.  That just feels so wrong.

There is no statute of limitations on appreciating beautiful architecture.

• Love 22
On 11/16/2018 at 1:03 AM, Bastet said:

As a big fan of the Oxford comma, and Provenza’s “It’s always the husband” refrain and its variations on Major Crimes, it’s like this episode was tailor made for me.  Okay, as a lawyer it was not so much made for me with the whole "he'll be locked up" thing (um, no, double jeopardy), but her PAM and “we didn’t have a cat, you idiot” revelation was still fun for Corky’s coming to terms with her gullibility.

Murphy’s “Why was I born?” kind of got lost in the applause, but that was great line delivery by Bergen.  Similarly, “… as is THE ALL CAPS sentence” was fun line delivery from the actor playing the assistant of the week.

Avery’s sexy promo was hilarious.  FOX Wolf never does that to its male reporters, in contrast to the parade of sexist stereotypes with its women on air, so it doesn’t really work, but it still made me laugh.  As did Murphy’s “Do you want anything?” slow-mo promo mocking of it all.

LOL also at the TV show revival jokes.  And at “Rest?  What else has she been doing all these years?”  Obvious, but funny, both.  And, hee, Kavanaugh Korner.

I like the continuation of the discrepancy between Murphy’s above-the-desk outfit and the mess below.

Solid episode.

My other favorite was "Is this a Rosebud thing or what?" when she kept saying "Pam." 

The slo-mo promo was hilarious, Avery is one of the best things about this revival. 

nevermind the fact that TV Avery was named after Murphy's mother.

Speaking of Murphy's mother, every time they show Murphy sitting on the couch next to the photo of Colleen Dewhurst, I'm amazed at how much Murphy has aged into a blonde version of her. Very similar faces.

Edited by ljenkins782
  • Love 6
On 12/13/2018 at 4:43 PM, ljenkins782 said:

I'm amazed at how much Murphy has aged into a blonde version of her. Very similar faces.

Yes! Apparently there was some controversy way back when about whether it was right to cast Dewhurst as Murphy's mother, but even watching those old episodes, I think it was right on the money. You can see it especially when Avery Sr. makes Murphy wear a hat - it really highlights how similar their faces were (and are).

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Really though, I wouldn't have minded Dewhurst resembling Candice about as much as Don King does as long as we got that great episode where they went on a double date and played pool.

Yeah, Colleen Dewhurst was brilliant every time she appeared, she just nailed that character. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Yeah, Colleen Dewhurst was brilliant every time she appeared, she just nailed that character. 

She was a brilliant actor at all times but she was picture perfect as Murphy's mom.  Man, I loved those hats!

• Love 5
On 12/15/2018 at 12:54 PM, Kohola3 said:

She was a brilliant actor at all times but she was picture perfect as Murphy's mom.  Man, I loved those hats!

Young man...have you ever heard the phrase "don't pound a nail with a tack hammer..." LOL 

I also loved the relationship between Eldin and Murphy's mom.

• Love 2

Since Colleen Dewhurst hadn't done a lot of comedy, it was thought to be an out-of-left-field choice, in a "can she be funny?" kind of way. But obviously she knocked it out of the park. Frankly I think it was inspired casting, not only in terms of similarity in facial structure but in how both Dewhurst and Bergen have unusually deep speaking voices. (Recommended: -- FYI: The Murphy Brown Podcast, which I believe is where I heard about this, probably regarding the episode "Mama Said.")

Edited by ombelico
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, ombelico said:

Since Colleen Dewhurst hadn't done a lot of comedy, it was thought to be an out-of-left-field choice, in a "can she be funny?" kind of way. But obviously she knocked it out of the park. Frankly I think it was inspired casting, not only in terms of similarity in facial structure but in how both Dewhurst and Bergen have unusually deep speaking voices. (Recommended: -- FYI: The Murphy Brown Podcast, which I believe is where I heard about this, probably regarding the episode "Mama Said.")

Thanks. When I first read your post and "controversy," my mind immediately went huh? What could possibly be controversial about this? I thought it was PERFECT casting.

• Love 3