Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E08: The Coma and the Oxford Comma

13 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I thought another solid show, several lines cracked me up, Phyllis to Corky - put you over there...in the kavanaugh corner. A couple of others, I've already forgotten. It's me, my short term memory is shot. But I loved Corky's sweater during the live interview with Holly. 

I did enjoy Avery's friends making fun of his slo mo walk and wiping the sweat off his brow. What else are real friends for?

Word. Solid acting and good writing tonight. Loved it. Avery and his friends were a hoot and so was Murphy and Corky.

Looking forward to next week's episode, going from what I've seen from the promo.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 15
1 minute ago, friendperidot said:

I thought another solid show, several lines cracked me up, Phyllis to Corky - put you over there...in the kavanaugh corner. A couple of others, I've already forgotten. It's me, my short term memory is shot. But I loved Corky's sweater during the live interview with Holly. 

I did enjoy Avery's friends making fun of his slo mo walk and wiping the sweat off his brow. What else are real friends for?

Yeah, it seems like they got it out of their system making it all about Trump all the time and have gotten some of their old groove back. It was fun seeing Avery with his old friends. Frank, as always, cracks me up.

• Love 15
Just now, Annber03 said:

Also, LOL at Murphy's response to the idea that Holly needed a rest. "What's she been doing these past few years?"

That line and her delivery was "classic" Murphy! 

Brooke Shields did great as Corky's friend.  "We didn't even have a cat!"

• Love 20

How did Brooke Shields know there was Pam on the stairs?

Double jeopardy would prevent the husband from being re-charged with attempted murder.  Did he testify at his trial and will he then be charged with perjury?  The defense attorney will have a fairly easy time raising doubts about the memory of someone who was just in a 10-year coma, especially after Murphy told her about the husband's many affairs and the strong suspicion that he had pushed her (the wife) down the stairs.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I loved that, too :D. Also loved Miles' response when Avery tried putting on his glasses to avoid the whole "sexy" thing.

(I would totally get a Avery calendar, though, not gonna lie...)

Avery didn't think through his plan. He looked sexier in those glasses.

• Love 24
17 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Loved Corky's sweater, too!!  Although, I wish they would get rid of that butterfly choker Murphy was wearing - she wore it once before and both times, it looked horrible - it really accentuates her neck and chin, and if you are a woman of a certain age, those are some of the last areas you want to draw attention to!  

Agree - another solid show!  

• Love 7
Just now, Snow Apple said:

Right? Glasses are a great look on men.

4 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

That's what Lt. Provenza always says on The Closer and Major Crimes!

Ha. That's great :D. 

• Love 7

As a big fan of the Oxford comma, and Provenza’s “It’s always the husband” refrain and its variations on Major Crimes, it’s like this episode was tailor made for me.  Okay, as a lawyer it was not so much made for me with the whole "he'll be locked up" thing (um, no, double jeopardy), but her PAM and “we didn’t have a cat, you idiot” revelation was still fun for Corky’s coming to terms with her gullibility.

Murphy’s “Why was I born?” kind of got lost in the applause, but that was great line delivery by Bergen.  Similarly, “… as is THE ALL CAPS sentence” was fun line delivery from the actor playing the assistant of the week.

Avery’s sexy promo was hilarious.  FOX Wolf never does that to its male reporters, in contrast to the parade of sexist stereotypes with its women on air, so it doesn’t really work, but it still made me laugh.  As did Murphy’s “Do you want anything?” slow-mo promo mocking of it all.

LOL also at the TV show revival jokes.  And at “Rest?  What else has she been doing all these years?”  Obvious, but funny, both.  And, hee, Kavanaugh Korner.

I like the continuation of the discrepancy between Murphy’s above-the-desk outfit and the mess below.

Solid episode.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 18

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on tv, but I am a fan of Law & Order and The Closer/Major Crimes. It seems like on all 3 of those shows, there's been episodes where sometimes when the state was unable to charge because of double jeopardy, the Federal Government steps in with charges. This was a very high profile case, so maybe that could happen. But, this is a tv show and it will most likely never be mentioned ever again...unless Brooke Shields decides to do another guest role.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Eureka said:

it seems like they got it out of their system making it all about Trump

Hardly.  There has been at least two jokes about him and the Administration per episode.  We get it Diane English, you don't like him.  Time to make jokes about other things.  Remember back in this show's heyday when all things were potential targets for laughs?  The media in particular?  I used to laugh then.

1 hour ago, UYI said:

I was wondering if "Pam" was a reference to the cooking spray early on! ^_^

I saw that coming the minute she said it.  

2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

It does have a distinctive smell - especially after it was just sprayed.  Come to think of it, the investigators would have noticed the stuff on the stairs and the victim too since they were investigating a crime scene.  You can't ignore cooking spray on a flight of stairs.

I don't know why they mentioned the husband going to prison.  He was acquitted and he can't be tried for the same crime twice - unless they go with a civil trial like the OJ Simpson case.  At most, maybe perjury or conspiracy (if the latter wasn't part of his original charges).

While the promo for Avery was amusing, there's no way it would have run if he didn't approve of it. It's possible someone might have suggested he take advantage of his looks to lure a certain demo, but it's unethical (and  opens the door for a lawsuit) to do a sexed up promo behind the person's back.

Ditto.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Good catch! That one went over my head, as I thought she was talking about 'ham'. XD

I thought she said ham too and was waiting for the big reveal to have something to do with a ham sandwich. Like he sent her down for food and then pushed her.

This show is my FAVORITE show this season. I'm glad I dvr it, because the past two weeks I've had to work late, and if I didn't have it recorded, I'd've missed them.

I don't mind the continuous mentions of the current Administration because even in the early to mid year seasons, whatever Administration was there, there would be commentary about it. As I am currently watching both the new and previous seasons, I can state this with certainty.

And Avery is hawt with those spectacles. And I loved Murphy's "cute tush. I made that." I love Murphy and Avery's relationship. How he's telling her to not take the call and watch his promo; takes the phone from Murphy.

Or when Avery tells his friends he's going to "slo mo kick" their asses as they slo mo out the door!

I'm also not a lawyer, nor do I play one on teevee, but I think double jeopardy does apply here because he was acquitted for this attempt. If Charlie tries to kill Holly again, then double jeopardy doesn't apply because it's a new crime. Unless he took the stand at his trial, he can't be charged with perjury.

Anyhoo. Corky annoyed me this episode. And I also noticed, now that Show revealed that Pat (It still bugs me how he's anglicized his first name) is gay, he's styling himself more flamboyantly in a way that I see it as show pointing an invisible finger, and pointing out he's gay.

• Love 5

The guy who played Brooke Shield's husband sounded like Frank (you know how you're turned away and you attribute the voice to the wrong person). And then when I looked, I thought he looked very similar to him. 

I don't know about statute of limitations, or actually, the law at all. But I wonder, could the husband be charged with assault now?

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't mind the continuous mentions of the current Administration because even in the early to mid year seasons, whatever Administration was there, there would be commentary about it. As I am currently watching both the new and previous seasons, I can state this with certainty.

I taped the marathon this week and have been watching the old episodes.  What a hoot those were!  And lots of snark on whomever was in the White House at that time so ragging on the current one is not out of character at all.

8 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

That one went over my head, as I thought she was talking about 'ham'. XD

Hee!  Gotta love closed captioning for those moments. 

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

LOL also at the TV show revival jokes.  And at “Rest?  What else has she been doing all these years?” 

Such a Murphy line.  I can see her saying that in the first run!

• Love 7

The husband cd be charged with attempt to cause grievous bodily harm or other "serious intent" crimes. ...as new evidence came to light.  I think.  

Love Avery and Miurphy together.   

More Tyne Daly please.

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, mojito said:

The guy who played Brooke Shield's husband sounded like Frank (you know how you're turned away and you attribute the voice to the wrong person). And then when I looked, I thought he looked very similar to him. 

I don't know about statute of limitations, or actually, the law at all. But I wonder, could the husband be charged with assault now?

Not for the fall down the stairs.  He was charged with attempted murder for that and was acquitted.  One set of charges per crime.  It is unlikely they could charge him with anything now.  Just like OJ, he'll only go to jail if he commits another crime.  His wife could file a civil suit against him if he has some wealth. Of course, if he's gotten good legal advice like OJ did, he could have protected his assets and what she might get would be limited.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Double jeopardy would prevent the husband from being re-charged with attempted murder.  Did he testify at his trial and will he then be charged with perjury?  The defense attorney will have a fairly easy time raising doubts about the memory of someone who was just in a 10-year coma, especially after Murphy told her about the husband's many affairs and the strong suspicion that he had pushed her (the wife) down the stairs.

I had that thought about double jeopardy when they were all saying he'd do time. He won't.

I laughed out loud at "Rest? What's she been doing all these years?" EXCELLENT delivery.

• Love 3

Despite being acquitted of attempted murder, Holly's husband still gets run over by karma.  Since Holly is still married to the guy, that newly-acquired fortune that he was trying to avoid sharing with Holly by killing her, now has to be split with her awake self.  So the murder attempt was for naught, and the divorce will be very contentious.

• Love 12

Double jeopardy would prevent the husband from being re-charged with attempted murder. 

I wondered about that myself, apparently there's no quick answer to that. 

I did think this was one of the best episodes they've done in the reboot and the first time I actually laughed out loud. One of the bits that got me was Phyllis saying she had four husbands and could always spot a pusher. Then she looks down at Miles and frowns at him. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I also noticed, now that Show revealed that Pat (It still bugs me how he's anglicized his first name) is gay, he's styling himself more flamboyantly in a way that I see it as show pointing an invisible finger, and pointing out he's gay.

I can't provide hard evidence, but I feel that he has always dressed in a flamboyant/fashion forward or whatever-you-want-to-call-it way, and those viewers who didn't suspect he was gay thought it was simply hip/millennial/metrosexual styling.  Perhaps someone will do a re-watch to see if I am correct, although I don't know how you would quantify it!

• Love 14
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

This show is my FAVORITE show this season. I'm glad I dvr it, because the past two weeks I've had to work late, and if I didn't have it recorded, I'd've missed them.

And Avery is hawt with those spectacles. And I loved Murphy's "cute tush. I made that." I love Murphy and Avery's relationship. How he's telling her to not take the call and watch his promo; takes the phone from Murphy.

Or when Avery tells his friends he's going to "slo mo kick" their asses as they slo mo out the door!

I'm also not a lawyer, nor do I play one on teevee, but I think double jeopardy does apply here because he was acquitted for this attempt. If Charlie tries to kill Holly again, then double jeopardy doesn't apply because it's a new crime. Unless he took the stand at his trial, he can't be charged with perjury.

Anyhoo. Corky annoyed me this episode. And I also noticed, now that Show revealed that Pat (It still bugs me how he's anglicized his first name) is gay, he's styling himself more flamboyantly in a way that I see it as show pointing an invisible finger, and pointing out he's gay.

I don't either. Exactly. It's something to see just how different the show is received now from back then. That said, it's still damn good, no matter what.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I can't provide hard evidence, but I feel that he has always dressed in a flamboyant/fashion forward or whatever-you-want-to-call-it way, and those viewers who didn't suspect he was gay thought it was simply hip/millennial/metrosexual styling.  Perhaps someone will do a re-watch to see if I am correct, although I don't know how you would quantify it!

I think the brighter colors are new, though the styling seems similar. 

Don't most people dress a little more conservatively in a new job, until they get to know their coworkers?  And now he knows that they know he's gay...  

• Love 5

I agree.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Eureka said:

Yeah, it seems like they got it out of their system making it all about Trump all the time and have gotten some of their old groove back. It was fun seeing Avery with his old friends. 

I hope this episode sets the pattern for the rest of the series. Just have Murphy making a few jokes about the current president/congress instead of doing a political issue of the week. I am also totally on board with giving Avery a subplot on a regular basis. I loved seeing Avery with his friends and I hope we see more them in the future. 

14 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I think he was going for a Rick Perry type of thing. If he wears glasses people will think he is smart and serious. 

I can't provide hard evidence, but I feel that he has always dressed in a flamboyant/fashion forward or whatever-you-want-to-call-it way, and those viewers who didn't suspect he was gay thought it was simply hip/millennial/metrosexual styling. 

That's exactly what I thought. 

• Love 5

Avery's Wolf promo, and everyone making fun of it, was hysterical.

15 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Maybe it was the kind that smells like butter or olive oil?

Yeah, irl, it was all very problematic, but it was quite funny so I'll let it pass since this isn't a serious law-based drama (looking at you, ridiculous SVU.)

• Love 8
11 hours ago, magicdog said:

It does have a distinctive smell - especially after it was just sprayed.  Come to think of it, the investigators would have noticed the stuff on the stairs and the victim too since they were investigating a crime scene.  You can't ignore cooking spray on a flight of stairs.

Maybe he cleaned the stairs afterward, before calling an ambulance?

15 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Me too.  And I'll confess, there are a lot of real-life reporters I'd also be glad to see in a calendar.

• Love 5

Poor Corky.  She was so crestfallen when she learned her friend really did try to kill her other friend. 

I also loved the misdirection with the cat--who presumably could have been named "Pam."

As soon as I heard the husband had to fly in and was just then coming to his newly conscious wife's bedside over 24 hours later, and then immediately started making excuses about why he wasn't glued to her side through her entire coma like Corky was, I knew he did it.  You always know a pusher.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, mojito said:

Same here - until Frank walked in still wearing his fake doctor outfit, I thought it was him.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tunajune said:

Despite being acquitted of attempted murder, Holly's husband still gets run over by karma.  Since Holly is still married to the guy, that newly-acquired fortune that he was trying to avoid sharing with Holly by killing her, now has to be split with her awake self.  So the murder attempt was for naught, and the divorce will be very contentious.

My only instruction to my attorney in her position would be "Take no prisoners."

3 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Speaking of flamboyant, I'm loving the wise cracking stage manager, walking through the set, tossing out orders and sarcasm. 

I like him too. I loved him in the midterms episode!

• Love 7
16 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Did anyone else think of Sunny Von Bulow?

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

I am also totally on board with giving Avery a subplot on a regular basis. I loved seeing Avery with his friends and I hope we see more them in the future.

Yeah, it's nice to see glimpses of him having a regular life apart from work and his relationship with Murphy (though both those aspects have been quite well-handled). Avery may be the best example I've ever seen of a new(ish) main character being well-integrated into a tight-knit existing cast. Pat and Phyllis have also been great, so with the exception of Miguel and his immigrant jokes routine blending new characters into the old gang seems to be a real strength of the show.

• Love 9

Not for the fall down the stairs.  He was charged with attempted murder for that and was acquitted. 

He was tried for attempted murder. But was he tried for spousal abuse? Or something else that his wife can accuse him of?  My point: can he be charged with a different crime altogether, something that he wasn't already charged with. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, mojito said:

He was tried for attempted murder. But was he tried for spousal abuse? Or something else that his wife can accuse him of?  My point: can he be charged with a different crime altogether, something that he wasn't already charged with. 

He cannot be charged again for the fall down the stairs.  The prosecution went with the most serious charge on that and lost.  They can only try him for spousal abuse if there is another incident besides the fall that the wife remembers.  Even then, it would be problematic without evidence besides her testimony; the decade old memory of a woman who's been in a coma is going to be pretty easy to produce reasonable doubt in a jury.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, mojito said:

Yes, if that different crime was committed after his acquittal. The new crime has to be independent of the attempted murder crime. So unless he tries to kill her again and is charged again, he’s free.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3

I think I remember that during the election episode, didn't Miles put him in a suit and he said it looked like something his parents would dress him in to meet the bride they chose for him, and then he bombed on air and started to shine after he changed into a hip fashionable outfit.  

Also, please count me in with all the others who thought this was a much better episode.  I was happy to see the main cast become stronger, and Tyne Daly and Avery are continuing to be great.  

• Love 8