Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Family Dynamics and a Red Fiero

Bort
  • Start Topic

Another funny episode, loved the Golden Girl shout out.  Although I think we're going to be debating until the end of time whether the writers screwed up or Georgie just didn't remember it right.  In his defense they weren't in repeats yet, he probably only saw the episode once.  But I still love that he watches Golden Girls at all.

Georgie can also be sweet which is nice, he's not one note - when he said to Missy "Just watch TV" and he said it quietly and nicely knowing she was upset about the arguing.

Message to CBS:  Knock off the ads for other shows while the current show is airing.  They've gone from a show title in a small corner to fully taking up the bottom quarter of the screen.  Do they not realize (care?) they're completely blocking parts of the current show that we actually tuned in to see?  The latest was this episode, when MeeMaw said to Dr Sturgis "A sandwich?"  I had no idea he made sandwich or what he was eating since the table and his plate were completely obscured by a big Murphy Brown pop up.  

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Message to CBS:  Knock off the ads for other shows while the current show is airing.  They've gone from a show title in a small corner to fully taking up the bottom quarter of the screen.  Do they not realize (care?) they're completely blocking parts of the current show that we actually tuned in to see?  The latest was this episode, when MeeMaw said to Dr Sturgis "A sandwich?"  I had no idea he made sandwich or what he was eating since the table and his plate were completely obscured by a big Murphy Brown pop up.  

I tend to stream YS after the fact, so I miss this but--wow, that would be annoying.  I will say that I am glad they stopped having the Jim Parsons Intel commercials during this show because between his narration here and then him in the commercials, it was more than a little jarring.

On 11/18/2018 at 1:09 AM, LadyKenobi said:

Since I was obsessed with ALF and The Real Ghostbusters (zero memory of the other cartoon, which I guess wasn't syndicated in my area, although what I'm grateful for this year is finally learning why what I watched was called The REAL Ghostbusters, which I always thought was weird), I had to look it up:  In 1989, ALF did indeed comment on the 1989 Thanksgiving Day parade

Except isn't it 1990 now? 1989 was last year and they've acknowledged the passage of time by stating in some previous episodes this season that Sheldon is now ten and Georgie mentioned he's in tenth grade now (as I assume Sheldon is as well).

Crappy car or not, George better hang onto that Fiero, it's worth a lot nowadays, especially if it's a 1988 model -- which, judging by the engine fire, it's probably an earlier model as the 1988s had this problem fixed by then.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Yeah, that Murphy Brown pop up was beyond annoying.  If I had any interest in watching Murphy Brown, that obnoxious, intrusive ad during Young Sheldon would have killed it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LadyKenobi said:

But does the calendar in the kitchen still say 1989 or 1990? I forgot to look. But they are grounding us on a precise Thanksgiving, so... (and I checked and it appears ALF only did the parade in 1989.)

According to the episode with Paige, Sheldon is 10 now so it should be 1990. 

Edited by Guest

Light on the comedy (though I did like Sheldon's mini freak out "Ah, Big Bird!" on seeing Big Bird in the parade), but that actually seemed like a believable argument between Mary and George. And I floved that it was the Professor that spoke to Sheldon after they slipped out (and that he interrupted the argument to thank Mary for the meal - he's a real gent!)

Also liked that we got to see George stepping up as big brother. OK, "Just watch TV" is not exactly super comforting, but he's young and it was probably the best he could think of - he is still just a kid himself.

Spoiler

We know he will take over as "dad" when his father leaves, so this was an early sign of that.

I wondered if Meemaw had sabotaged the Fiero when it caught fire, but if it was a regular problem with the car, I guess not.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:06 AM, HazelEyes4325 said:

For me, it wasn't an issue of whether or not they were going to go, but rather how Mary and George handled the conflict.

Agreed. It was a believable argument that could cause real resentment and they tried to drag their children into it rather than hash it out between the two of them. Not a good sign.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:49 PM, BlossomCulp said:

Is it part time?  She seems to work very long hours - I remember the episode where she got the job that she wasn't going to get home until 6

Pretty sure it is part time. Without checking, I think Mary only works there afternoons (and it undoubtedly pays less, too).

I would think that moving from being a high school coach to a college coach is a big step up so I was surprised that Mary didn't even consider how to overcome the obstacles: having George move himself, having Connie move with them, etc... Not very realistic for a family where the main breadwinner had previously lost his job forcing a move home. 

Cracked up at John's newly found athletic skill. 

• Love 2
On 11/16/2018 at 10:51 AM, vibeology said:

Cartoons, which is true and such a perfect late 80s detail. There was a kid's cartoon based on the movie called The Real Ghostbusters. They had to call it that because there was another cartoon, a spinoff of a 70s TV show that already had the rights to Ghostbusters. Both shows started airing in 1986 and it was very confusing. Most people I knew preferred The Real Ghostbusters because it had Slimer and the other movie characters.

Hell yeah, i remember watching that show too. One my favorite cartoons.

RGBIntroSeason1sc38.png

On 11/24/2018 at 3:55 PM, Gizkok said:

Anyone know what that song was just before the loud bang and puff of smoke from the car?  I didn't hear quite enough to get it and it's driving me crazy.

"Take it on the Run" by REO Speedwagon.

• Love 1