Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: I Want to Love You Until the Day I Die

25 minutes ago, rubyred said:

The only thing about Gabriel that's tripping me up is why did Frank recognize his name, while Annalise evidently didn't? Why/how does Frank know more about "the adoption" than Annalise? But otherwise there's no there there for me with Gabriel. 

We know that Sam and Frank kept some secrets from Annalise previously, like Sam knowing Frank's implication in Annalise car accident that killed Her baby, so I assumed it was another Frank/Sam secret on the side, but that is stretching.

• Love 2
On 11/20/2018 at 6:21 PM, love2lovebadtv said:

So, to bring up another way the show confuses us: birth certificates in the US have the mother's original name - in addition to or sometimes instead of any last name she may have adopted through marriage. For example, if Sam's wife was born with the name Vivian Maddox and she married/divorced /changed her last name 5 times, the birth certificates of any of her kids will still say Vivian Maddox, regardless of the father or whether she was married. There are plenty of women who don't change their names when they get married, and you're not obligated to give your kids their dad's last name. 

I think the show is using this birth certificate name to trip us up. 

I agree. In season 1 Annalise says they had been married 20 years. Timelines are wonky on this show, but I think that means Gabriel was born was same year they got married. I'm thinking Sam maybe hoodwinked or talked Annalise into filing paperwork for some sort of shady adoption. If she only knew Vivian as Vivian Keating, maybe that's why the name isn't familiar to her. 

On 11/20/2018 at 6:52 PM, rubyred said:

The only thing about Gabriel that's tripping me up is why did Frank recognize his name, while Annalise evidently didn't? Why/how does Frank know more about "the adoption" than Annalise? But otherwise there's no there there for me with Gabriel. 

My guess is the answer to that lies with whoever Frank is talking to. We already know Frank does background info on everyone. Maybe Frank thought he was being protective of Annalise by keeping tabs on Gabriel and his mother in case they ever came to town looking to stir up trouble. 

• Love 1
On 11/20/2018 at 1:08 PM, possibilities said:

What was the answer?

I think Gabe looks and acts like Wes the way that Simon looked and acted like Frank, Connor, Oliver, Asher, and Nate. I see zero resemblance.

Dior. 

• Love 2
On 11/20/2018 at 5:21 PM, love2lovebadtv said:

So, to bring up another way the show confuses us: birth certificates in the US have the mother's original name - in addition to or sometimes instead of any last name she may have adopted through marriage. For example, if Sam's wife was born with the name Vivian Maddox and she married/divorced /changed her last name 5 times, the birth certificates of any of her kids will still say Vivian Maddox, regardless of the father or whether she was married. There are plenty of women who don't change their names when they get married, and you're not obligated to give your kids their dad's last name. 

I think the show is using this birth certificate name to trip us up. 

I'm excited that this show is coming back soon!

I really don't think this show knows or cares whether a birth certificate uses a married name or maiden name.  It's not like the show has attempted to get every single legal detail correct... the Supreme Court argument/setting being a prime example.  So I wouldn't read anything into whether the show purposely put Vivian Maddox as the name or are trying to create any mystery as to whether she was in fact Sam's wife who is listed with her maiden name or a mistress.  

My fear is that they are just making things up as they go along (as usual), and had no concrete concept of who Gabriel is and who Vivian is.  Do they even have a continuity editor that they check with before writing scripts?  They had better resolve who Frank was talking to last season when he said "her kid is here".  Because if the person he was talking to was Annalise and she has gone this whole season without being suspicious of who Gabriel is, well then, that sucks.  Even if it's Bonnie, it sucks that she had no suspicion or didn't say anything all season.

Whoever it is, I expect to be disappointed.