Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E06: Steve Carell / Ella Mai

• Start Topic

I think that the astronaut sketch was my favorite one they've done in years. I was in tears when poor Kambuca's arm came off. 

4 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Science question: I thought that if animals were exposed to the conditions of space sans suits, they, like, disintegrated? Not freeze up like they got caught in the second Ice Age? Pedantry aside, this was my favorite sketch of the night.

I looked it up. You don't disintegrate, but it would actually take anywhere from 12-26 hours for your body to freeze solid. Here's about a 1 minute-ish long video on it if you're interested.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

Compared to Saturday Night Live, where half the musical guests are just meh.  I think the difference is on Bluegrass Underground, the instrumentalists in the bands are really good, while SNL focuses mainly just on the singer.  Which is the current state of pop, I guess, so it's not really SNL's fault.  It's more about the current state of popular music. 

Pop music singing has been around before 2018.  Michael Jackson?   SNL has once again booked another one hit wonder on the show.  SNL could do a lot better in this regard but it often chooses the mediocre.  Ashlee Simpson's infamous spot wasn't yesterday, it was a long time ago and SNL just keeps on trucking.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
8 hours ago, helenamonster said:
19 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Claire Foy is currently starring in The Girl in the Spider's Web, and is best known for playing Queen Elizabeth II in the first two season of The Crown. I do find the timing of her hosting a little odd, as by that point Girl in the Spider's Web will have already been out a month (and has gotten a pretty lukewarm critical reception) and she won't be returning to The Crown this season, since they're aging up the main cast and she's been replaced by Olivia Coleman.

My mistake with that one.

10 hours ago, Steph J said:

Somewhat random question, but did anyone catch the title of the middle book from the Sasquatch erotica bit?  The one he read from was called "Forbidden Forest" and the one at the bottom of the stack was called "Son of Squatch" but the print on the middle book was too small for me to read.

Overall I thought it wasn't a great episode, but Kate banging against the window in the NASA bit killed me, as did Heidi's determination to pretend that everything is okay in that RV sketch.

Return To The Forbidden Forest 

• Love 1

I didn't watch all of this, but the cold open was great.

I never watched The Office, so Carell's monologue was pointless to me.

The parody of "Beauty School Drop-out" was kinda funny, but more squirmy.

Weekend Update was so-so.

The "kern" sketch was stupid, although I did appreciate Leslie Jones' commitment to it.

That's about all I saw.  Not really impressed.  Liev Schreiber was a better host.  Who'd a thunk it?

• Love 1
On 11/18/2018 at 10:26 AM, Fostersmom said:

I wasn't expecting John, but it wasn't lost on me the 3 cameo people are also 3 people who are actively working and let's be honest, not really needing the work or money. It would have been funnier if Phyllis, Stanley, and Creed were the ones wanting the reboot. 

This episode was just odd. You had amazingly strong sketches and then just put WTF was that sketches. The Amazon and RBG parts were so strong, but then you have a show of random last sketch of the night sketch like someone else mentioned. 

They got people that would be instantly recognizable instead of people that might cause confusion.

• Love 1
On 11/18/2018 at 4:22 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I think this was my favorite episode so far this year, even though there were no Eric Trump appearances (Moffat's Zuckerberg came pretty close to being as awkward/funny).

My only trouble with the Eric Trump character is every time I see Alex Moffat on the screen, I can't help but see Eric Trump.  It's not like they've given him much else to do.

On 11/18/2018 at 5:14 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Pop music singing has been around before 2018.  Michael Jackson?   SNL has once again booked another one hit wonder on the show.  SNL could do a lot better in this regard but it often chooses the mediocre.  Ashlee Simpson's infamous spot wasn't yesterday, it was a long time ago and SNL just keeps on trucking.

Nothing wrong with pop music singing.  The thing is, back in like the 60s and 70s, the pop music charts also included the top songs from different genres like rock and country.  So you would hear more focus on the instrumentation, so generally the playing was better.  Anne Murray would reside on the charts alongside the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, John Denver, Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, etc.  Now all the genres are separated, and what is considered "pop" is more narrow.  But you are correct that SNL could do a much better job of choosing its musical guests.

• Love 1

Weak episode for someone like Carell, and I genuinely like him. 

Best bit was once again a TAPED one (three or four of them this week), the Amazon thing. I can't believe no one mentioned the Mario Kart character behind Steve at one point in the bit. Finding out why that was trending one day sent me back to therapy. 

I may have gotten too old for the show. I think the cast has talent, but no writers. And I have zero idea who the music guests are.

Now my weekly post that Pete Davidson annoys me and is in no way funny. 

• Love 1

Hello Galileo. Claire FOY Was In A successful Mini Series or TV movie which ever It was ! it has been a while so I forgot what It was, but I knew It at the time !

Hello Mystery. I liked Liev Schreiber Better ! I thought this was too Weird except for Squatch Man on Week End Update ! That was really funny ! I would not have thought to have Mikey Day be The Squatch Man because Mikey Is So Handsome ! I Thought RGB was Good Also ! Part of the problem is that I think I had missed some of this when it first came on ! I guess I was watching Vanderbilt and maybe it went in to Over Time ! Tonight, My TV Had problems and I watched the cold open after I had watched Saturday Night Live ! 

I was disappointed that this was a repeat and then I thought hey, was this the space monkeys episode? and it was. So yay! Leslie was great. "I'm sorry, kids. This is a bad day for space." And again I have to mention Svetlana banging against the porthole. And "is that frozen monkey okay?"

• Love 1

Hey VB. I did not think Steve was the Best Host ! I thought Matt Damon was a good host And Adam Driver was A Good Host and even Liev Schreiber was A Good Host ! ! ! Also, people say the show every week is better than the last week ! I think that can' tbe true every week ! Maybe, the show after Claire Foy might have been A Better Show !

Hey Opus. NO, That IS NOT Tina's Sister ! Her Name Is Claire FOY ! She Is An Actress and she either was Queen OF Scots Or Queen Elizabeth ! I knew her Mini Series, But I have forgotten what IT was !

Hey Possibilities. I think the whole episode was about him not knowing any thing ! The Father not knowing that Mom was Cheating on him ! The Man not knowing that his Wife Hated The RV ! Nobody knowing That Thanksgiving Song ! He did not know about the Floating And Frozen Monkeys !

Hey VB. NO, That Is NOT True ! Aidy Is That Moderator That Talks To I Think Ex Actresses And she Is Not A Grandmother ! Aidy Talks To the aliens And She Is Not A Grandmother ! Some Times, Aidy Is Having An Interview And sh eis Not A Grandmother ! OF Course, Aidy Is Sarah Huckabee Sanders And she Is Not A Grandmother ! She Is Not a Grandmother in Twin Beds Or Other Videos Or Musicals When She Even sings opera ! Aidy Does Play Kids, But She Does Many Other Things Also !

Hello R Montro. Mark Zukerberg Was On When They Had Jesse Eisenhower Or What Ever His Name Is ! He played Mark Zukerburg in That Movie Social Media I think was the Name Of The Movie ! Andy Has Played Mark Zukerburg And Jesse And the Real Mark Zukerburg Were ALL Playing Mark Zukerburg And Lorne Told Andy To Leave ! I Think Maybe that was During That Monologue, but Then They wee all at the side with Lorne ! ! !

Hello R Montro. Alex Moffat plays Joe Scarbourough And I think I have his last name wrong ! He is with Kate and she is Mika ! I'm not going to do her last name and especially since I have trouble with his last name ! Alex Moffat also plays Anderson Cooper ! Alex Moffat also plays Prince Harry as well as Eric Trump ! !