Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Chapter Forty: The Great Escape

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, MaggieG said:

How did everyone gloss over the fact that his dad punched him in the eye just for asking about the game? I felt so bad for Reggie

I feel bad for him too. But it kind of seems like all the parents in Riverdale are awful and teter on abusive behavior, either physically or mental. Or just kind of ambivent with what’s going on in their kids lives. Archie, Kevin and Josie are the only one who got good parents.

• Love 1

Josie's parents aren't all that good.

Sure, they seem ok in comparison to most of the crazy around town; but taken on their own merits, they're pretty terrible.

Archie & Kevin's parents are the least compromised adults in Riverdale.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Dee said:

Josie's parents aren't all that good.

Sure, they seen ok in comparison to most of the crazy around town; but taken on their own merits, they're pretty terrible.

Archie & Kevin's parents are the least compromised adults in Riverdale.

Yeah. I know, I almost didn’t put Josie in but her mom is pretty decent as far as all the other moms. Even Hermione despite all her talking of protecting Veronica.. is she really? I mean.. I don’t know. I think Hermione loves a power trip as much as her husband and doesn’t really give a damn half the time of her daughter is in emotional pain if it keeps Hiram and their family by their means and how she likes to live her life. 

And yeah all the other parents minus the ones I excluded are awful. I mean maybe not physically absuive but as I said all of them have put their kids through the ringer emotionally. It’s no wonder the teenagers are the way they are.

And yes while I didnt watch the flashback episode, I’ve seen clips and it did nothing to make me feel for any of the parents. Other than Fred but I liked him already. And it kind of made me think more of Tom and Sierra, as they from what I know had an actual relationship.

I know I’m supposed to feel sad for Cheryl’s mom but it makes me dislike her even more, at least from what I saw on Instagram and Twitter.

16 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I feel bad for him too. But it kind of seems like all the parents in Riverdale are awful and teter on abusive behavior, either physically or mental. Or just kind of ambivent with what’s going on in their kids lives. Archie, Kevin and Josie are the only one who got good parents.

Josie's mom was a crooked Mayor, and her dad is a asshole 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

Josie's mom was a crooked Mayor, and her dad is a asshole 

Yeah, like I said I almost put her in there but she hasn’t done anything directly to Josie, unlike the rest of the parents and yeah her dad sucks. But seriously read all my posts about this subject. I struggled to find the best parents besides Archie’s. I

almost didn’t even put Keller because he has issues too.

But the best parents are clearly The Andrews, even Kevin’s dad has issues given that he has been having an affair and we don’t know that much about his mom so until we meet her we don’t have much to go on.

So all the parents really do suck, except Fred and Mary and I know people Give Mary crap leaving Riverdale but I kind of don’t? I mean maybe her job is better there in Chicago, granted she would probably have a lot of work in Riverdale though, considering all the teenagers need lawyers and should really be Emancipating their families and all the murders that happen. She would have plently of work there, but I guess MR is a hard get to be on this show permanently. But it is hilarious that the show can’t even find a real reason for why she and Fred aren’t together. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 3
On 11/14/2018 at 10:14 PM, Dee said:

This show is such a monotonous slog.

I was feeling that way, as in "this is the show I watch while I'm eating", but this D&D manque thing has finally got me embracing the craziness.  Partly because of the sheer chutzpah in ripping off Breakfast Club, etc.; but there's something intoxicating about a writer's room willing to enter purely into balls-to-the-wall madness, as they are so clearly doing.  Once the parental conspiracy came into play, I thought "Finally, the show is going to bear fruit on its earlier promise"; because they've clearly been half-timing it on the "evilness" of Riverdale proper before; and have now finally got to stepping.  The town's "realio, trulio evil", not just "let the narrator tell you it's evil instead of showing you", like the randomness of Mrs. Grundy, the Black Hood, etc.  I'm decided to enjoy it going forward like one of those amusement park rides that slings you from corner to corner like the Tilt-A-Whirl.

On 11/15/2018 at 5:54 PM, Affogato said:

Jughead was born to take the role of Dungeon Master. I'm not sure how that is working. Maybe if you read the beginning of the manual, otherwise known as 'spell', you awaken the gargoyle king and the rest of the story is sent to you via gargoyle brain waves. 

I love the visuals in this show.

Yeah, I didn't get it perfectly either, but I thought it was clearly some form of sympathetic magic, or "As Above, So Below" (though I guess with Juggie in the bank-vault bunker running the show, it'd be closer to "As Below, So Above"), where Jughead's narration was speaking the events into place.  (Of course, now that I'm thinking it's like this for certain, I'll probably be super disappointed, and the show will eventually collapse under the weight of its own mythology). But, right now I like it.  (I also think it's fitting that the town's best writer would be the dungeon master.). I enjoy entering into the story and being able to take a stab at deciding in which direction it's heading, as opposed to having no idea.  I love intricacy; sample, when the Warden said "back to the Center", I wondered, did he mean the "Center-center", as in, the actual detention center (when they name it after Leopold and Loeb, you know there's no comfort there); or, did he mean "the center of the game board"?  I dig when a show triggers my imagination.

On 11/18/2018 at 1:27 AM, Morbs said:

I don't get this as all.  KJ doesn't have broad shoulders, when Veronica said that I thought "We have eyes you know."  He's petite.  He could wear women's blazers.

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to see him as a big 6 foot tall football jock. (For what it's worth, KJ's listed as being 5'11".) Kind of like in High School Musical where we were supposed to believe that Zach Efron is tall enough to be seriously recruited for college basketball.