Type keyword(s) to search

What can be done different for season 28?

• Start Topic

another thing is to stop rushing the winner announcements and have time to talk to the runner up. and to stop cutting away from the dancers to the singers when they perform. and have a brand new showrunner who actually knows what they are doing. 

• Love 4

They need to have fan votes carry less weight then the judges so we don't have a travesty like this past season with Bobby.

On 11/14/2018 at 9:26 PM, tessaforever said:

Oh, I don't like switch-up week at all. For the few great dances it's given us, the dances are often sub-par and the stress on the celebs and pros is uncomfortable - like pros will cry if they think they let a celeb down that week. 

I would love a week that wasn't a theme week! Also no contemporaries, so the freestyles will be exciting! (At least put the contemporaries earlier in the season instead of having some in the semi-finals like they did last week). 

I miss the results shows and the opportunities it gave to do something creative (Derek used to do some great, creative dances on the results shows). I don't think they have the ratings to bring those back though. 

These are just dreams, but: retire Gleb, use the troupe a lot less, improve the music. But I'm really glad they have not had any guest judges this season! Maybe they've finally learned how awful that is...

Yes they  need to save Freestyle to the actual end and go back to more focus on ballroom than Jazz and Contemporary.

Yes I agree, only have a guest judge if they can actually judge and are a dancer or choreographer themselves.

Yes, either count the fan votes less or have a dance off for the bottom 2. 

• Love 3

i highly doubt that the show’s voting system will change because the producers of the show love drama. when sabrina bryan was eliminated, the voting system wasn’t changed. when heather morris was eliminated, the voting system wasn’t changed. when brandy was eliminated, the voting system remained the same. but after what happened to amazing dancers like juan pablo and bobby winning, they need to take into consideration that the voting system must be changed. it is extremely important for the future of this show and to the loyal viewers of this show. major changes must be made in order for this show to come back on top.

• Love 3

They might look into it. At least I hope they do. it's one thing when a great dancer is eliminated too early, but when a winner is one of the weakest dancers in the bunch?

Every season the winner was at least a pretty good dancer. Sometimes someone who is more of an entertainer beat out a better dancer with their charisma. Sometimes the story helped (though Nyle was still a better dancer than Bobby, even without hearing the music, didn't hurt that he also was one of the most gorgeous human beings I have seen lol)

Early elimination of a good dancer is drama. and Juan Pablo's elimination would have been that good drama, had Milo won. This falls into "$#!t happens" category. People thinking strong dancers are safe, splitting votes, etc. Bobby winning is a loss of cred for the show.  Especially right after a said shock elimination of a great dancer. There is NO WAY people were thinking Milo is safe. Not after JP left.

Charisma, story, looks, hard work... those things can (and do) close smaller gaps in dancing talent and technique. And this is fine. Those are the "intangibles" that advance people in their careers, especially art related careers, where  the best voice in the world won't guarantee you a top100 hit after hit. HUGE fanbase otoh shouldn't be the only thing that closes a grand canyon of a difference between contestants.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, tedd said:

i highly doubt that the show’s voting system will change because the producers of the show love drama. when sabrina bryan was eliminated, the voting system wasn’t changed. when heather morris was eliminated, the voting system wasn’t changed. when brandy was eliminated, the voting system remained the same. but after what happened to amazing dancers like juan pablo and bobby winning, they need to take into consideration that the voting system must be changed. it is extremely important for the future of this show and to the loyal viewers of this show. major changes must be made in order for this show to come back on top.

The voting system changed after season 1 due to a public outcry.  Maybe it's time for another change.  

Edited by LoveDance
  • Love 2

At this point, I think the show is in too deep with pissing off viewers that no matter the changes made from now on, I dont think it will make much of difference. I think the show may have waited too long to even consider making changes if they want to because alot of the average viewers r pretty much over it and have no intention of coming back.

• Love 1

Clearly you haven't watched this show for very long. Most people have moved on from Bobby's win and by the time next season rolls around in September they won't even think about it. No different than any other season. I think only a handful of people, mainly those who are pissed their favorite was eliminated early, are going to hang onto this season and Bobby's win and come next September say "Hmmm...Bobby won, I don't like the voting system, so I'm not watching anymore."

I think a lot of people will be like me.  They'll watch whenever the next season is BUT it won't take much for me to turn the tv off and just walk away for good.  They really need to be on their toes next season for me to even come close to the anticipation I used to feel each new season and sadly I doubt they can do it.

• Love 2

I went from watching it on the night of the competition and voting to watching it on hulu few days after the fact, sometimes forgetting and skipping a week...

I don't see myself going back to watching live and voting unless they give Artem a ringer, bring Louis back and give him a ringer too, bring Karina back... Tony can visit too lol

• Love 1
2 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

I went from watching it on the night of the competition and voting to watching it on hulu few days after the fact, sometimes forgetting and skipping a week...

I don't see myself going back to watching live and voting unless they give Artem a ringer, bring Louis back and give him a ringer too, bring Karina back... Tony can visit too lol

This show is ageist.  Every time, one of the previous pros come back, they give them old people.  There are some exceptions like Cheryl and Mark getting Lindsey.  I'm sure if Derek comes back, they would probably not give him an older person although he did get Marilu.  Since she danced, I'm assuming they wanted her to be like Jennifer Grey.

• Love 1
On 12/5/2018 at 2:25 PM, LoveDance said:

The voting system changed after season 1 due to a public outcry.  Maybe it's time for another change.  

i agree with you. they need to either have the judges vote count 60% and then audience vote 40%, have a judges save, or have a dance off with the bottom 2 couples and then the judges choose who to save. major changes must be made in order for this show to continue to thrive. 

22 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

Clearly you haven't watched this show for very long. Most people have moved on from Bobby's win and by the time next season rolls around in September they won't even think about it. No different than any other season. I think only a handful of people, mainly those who are pissed their favorite was eliminated early, are going to hang onto this season and Bobby's win and come next September say "Hmmm...Bobby won, I don't like the voting system, so I'm not watching anymore."

I think this season IS different than all the previous seasons. The outcome will be remembered for a long time. It is not just some people being mad that their favorite didn't win or was eliminated early...there seems to be widespread sentiment and agreement among different camps that Bobby is the weakest and least satisfying winner in DWTS history and, because of his win, the show has lost a lot of the little dance credibility it had to begin with.

Bobby's fanbase is certainly happy, but not the rest of the viewership (who may have outnumbered Bobby's fanbase, but were split among all the good dancers we had this season).

TV shows, in general, tend to already lose viewers year-to-year. I don't think this season helped DWTS' cause in slowing the decline. People may still watch, but with less regularity and with less investment.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, calipiano81 said:

TV shows, in general, tend to already lose viewers year-to-year. I don't think this season helped DWTS' cause in slowing the decline. People may still watch, but with less regularity and with less investment.

I think the mini season is more to blame for people losing interest than Bobby's win.

• Love 1

Whether or not the ratings or viewership changes, it is obvious that the reaction to this season's winner (at least online) has been more negative, intense, and longer-lasting than any other season, and moreso than if any of the other finalists had won.

I understand Bobby supporters scoffing at the naysayers, but if it's just a matter of feeling neutral or nonchalant about the outcome, IMO, I would just let people express their disappointment with the show and desire to see changes, without dismissing their opinions.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I think the mini season is more to blame for people losing interest than Bobby's win.

I didn't care for the mini season, but at least it was something. If they have nothing in the spring, I don't see even longtime viewers caring that much nine months from now, much less casual viewers. As they say, out of sight, out of mind. Couple that with Bobby's win, and I think there will be very few viewers left. I really hope they offer us something in the spring, and I'm not including juniors since most fans of the regular show didn't seem to care about it.

Edited by boyznkatz
spelling error
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I didn't care for the mini season, but at least it was something. If they have nothing in the spring, I don't see even longtime viewers caring that much nine months from now, much less casual viewers. As they say, out of sight, out of mind. Couple that with Bobby's win, and I think there will be very few viewers left. I really hope they offer us something in the spring, and I'm not including juniors since most fans of the regular show didn't seem to care about it.

I don't think there will be very few viewers left, but I do think the show will take a hit not being on in the spring. To me, the mini season was the same as no season at all.

• Love 1