Type keyword(s) to search

What can be done different for season 28?

• Start Topic

I think most can agree that dwts has hit all time low between athlete season and this season, I can honestly say it's time to revamp the show. I wanted to make this thread so we can discuss some things that can be changed for the next season since I doubt the show is over even with the very low ratings. I truly feel like the bottom two  need to be the lowest scorers of the night with combine viewer votes for elimination. This way the judges scores will mean alot more and voting public can still have a say but it will be a say on the right contestants for the bottom.

Bring back dance marathon and switchup week. I actually like these better than group dances.

No more produced showmances. If something happens naturally fine but the produced showmances need to end. If u think about it All of the wins except one(meryl and maks) didnt take a showmance to win this show, so producers stop the madness. 

Start giving new pros an introduction like u use to. Allow the viewing audience to get to know them.

• Love 1

Oh, I don't like switch-up week at all. For the few great dances it's given us, the dances are often sub-par and the stress on the celebs and pros is uncomfortable - like pros will cry if they think they let a celeb down that week. 

I would love a week that wasn't a theme week! Also no contemporaries, so the freestyles will be exciting! (At least put the contemporaries earlier in the season instead of having some in the semi-finals like they did last week). 

I miss the results shows and the opportunities it gave to do something creative (Derek used to do some great, creative dances on the results shows). I don't think they have the ratings to bring those back though. 

These are just dreams, but: retire Gleb, use the troupe a lot less, improve the music. But I'm really glad they have not had any guest judges this season! Maybe they've finally learned how awful that is...

• Love 6
Just now, tessaforever said:

Oh, I don't like switch-up week at all. For the few great dances it's given us, the dances are often sub-par and the stress on the celebs and pros is uncomfortable - like pros will cry if they think they let a celeb down that week. 

I would love a week that wasn't a theme week! Also no contemporaries, so the freestyles will be exciting! (At least put the contemporaries earlier in the season instead of having some in the semi-finals like they did last week). 

I miss the results shows and the opportunities it gave to do something creative (Derek used to do some great, creative dances on the results shows). I don't think they have the ratings to bring those back though. 

These are just dreams, but: retire Gleb, use the troupe a lot less, improve the music. But I'm really glad they have not had any guest judges this season! Maybe they've finally learned how awful that is...

I don't mind them having guest judges if its someone who knows something about dance rather its ballroom or not. I hate when they have guest judges who don't know nothing about dance and their answers all the same without any depth.

i agree about getting rid of Gleb, I have never been fan of his even during the season where he went pretty far with Jana, I still didnt care for him. He just seems like a sleaze and such uninspired choreographer.

• Love 5

For one thing, change the ratio of how much the judges' scores vs. the audience's votes count. Say, 75/25?

I agree that the 2 with the lowest scores should be in the ones put in jeopardy.

Bring back a Tuesday results show, even if it's just 30 minutes, so that the Monday dances can be taken into consideration and be voted on before someone gets eliminated.

Have music that actually matches the dance styles as much as possible.

• Love 7

I actually liked this season except Joe and Bobby. I appreciate that they had no switch up week and no guest judges. They also had a lot of ringers, whom I enjoyed.

I do wish they would get rid of the troupe and the contemporary dances. I have mixed feelings on judges saving people. If fans want someone to stick around, then they should stick around, no matter how horrible they are. As much as I can't stand Bobby, he got to the finals fair and square. I don't have to watch him, but I can't tell other people not to watch him.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I actually liked this season except Joe and Bobby. I appreciate that they had no switch up week and no guest judges. They also had a lot of ringers, whom I enjoyed.

I do wish they would get rid of the troupe and the contemporary dances. I have mixed feelings on judges saving people. If fans want someone to stick around, then they should stick around, no matter how horrible they are. As much as I can't stand Bobby, he got to the finals fair and square. I don't have to watch him, but I can't tell other people not to watch him.

That is why I say, I rather the bottom two be based on viewer votes instead of the judges decision. The judges job is to only score and then from that whoever has the lowest for that night is automatically in the bottom and that is where the deciding factor come in with the viewers votes. I think that way the judges scores will garner more power over viewers votes without the judges having to make a final decision.

here is what they need to do to improve: 

1.  bring back results show permanently but make it an hour

2. change the voting system. have a judges save. 

3. less troupe in dances. save them for freestyles. 

4. bring back dance marathons

5. have the announcer introduce the dances again. 

6. bring back confessionals

7. have the eliminations and winner announcements not be rushed.

8. increase the contestants by at least one. 

9. bring back dance center

10. have a christmas special after the season is over where former contestants come back and dance to christmas songs

11. have better singers

12. bring back mambo, jitterbug, swing, and lindy hop.

13. introduce a new dance style: bachata

14. bring back macy’s stars of dance

15. bring back the original DWTS theme song and intro. 

16. have the music actually fit the dances. 

Edited by tedd
  • Love 12
13 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

Also, stop having contestants that ABC is actively trying to promote, e.g. Bachelor/ette people, Ginger Zee, Bobby Bones... 

I'm guessing those folks are a lot easier to get. If they are going to go for ABC shills, then bring on Robin Roberts. She has a great story and is likable. No clue on if she can dance, but it's not like someone needs to be able to dance to get to the finals anyway.

• Love 5
On 11/14/2018 at 7:04 PM, marykat71702 said:

For one thing, change the ratio of how much the judges' scores vs. the audience's votes count. Say, 75/25?

I agree that the 2 with the lowest scores should be in the ones put in jeopardy.

Bring back a Tuesday results show, even if it's just 30 minutes, so that the Monday dances can be taken into consideration and be voted on before someone gets eliminated.

Have music that actually matches the dance styles as much as possible.

I don't like the idea of giving judges more power because they clearly play favorites just like the audience. 

1 hour ago, tedd said:

6. bring back confessionals

10. have a christmas special after the season is over where former contestants come back and dance to christmas songs

Great ideas! Particularly one these two. 

• Love 3
On 11/16/2018 at 9:09 AM, Beatrice said:

I don't like the idea of giving judges more power because they clearly play favorites just like the audience. 

Great ideas! Particularly one these two. 

Yep, Strictly Come Dancing has an annual Christmas special that is a real crowd-pleaser, and the now-defunct Dutch version had a similar (and very popular) special for New Years Eve (or "Oude/Nieuw," as the Dutch call that holiday).

I'd also like to see a special season similar to one that Strictly did in the spring a few years ago, "The People's Strictly."  In that special, NON-celebrities who were known for their good works in the community were nominated by their friends and family, and those who were chosen were paired up with pros who taught and choreographed one dance with them. The first few episodes were kind of behind-the-scenes, with the actual competition kicking off about the third week of the season.  I really enjoyed it, and I think it would satisfy people who vote for people like Grocery Store Joe and Bobby Bones because they see them (and people like them) as stand-ins for the "regular people" who would kill for a chance to compete with their favorite pros as partners.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3

I wish ABC had not decided to run with American Idol. It should have ended when it did and if it did come back, whoever picked it up should have waited a bit more. I tried to like it last year but just couldn't. Again, why mess with a good format like they had in the beginning with young singers , instead of adding all of the bells and whistles(and unfortunately Katy Perry, who could be a good judge if she wasn't into herself so much!) That way, they could have had the two nights for DWTS and with a few tweaks it could have been good again...note I didn't say great again! Another thing I will miss this year is the Christmas ending...I really enjoyed the "snow", etc. and lots of entertainment. Yeah, they are supposed to have a Thanksgiving parade but how much can they have with only 2 hours for everything? Before it even starts, I feel tonight is going to be a huge letdown. I miss the "old" DWTS!

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

I wish ABC had not decided to run with American Idol. It should have ended when it did and if it did come back, whoever picked it up should have waited a bit more. I tried to like it last year but just couldn't. Again, why mess with a good format like they had in the beginning with young singers , instead of adding all of the bells and whistles(and unfortunately Katy Perry, who could be a good judge if she wasn't into herself so much!) That way, they could have had the two nights for DWTS and with a few tweaks it could have been good again...note I didn't say great again! Another thing I will miss this year is the Christmas ending...I really enjoyed the "snow", etc. and lots of entertainment. Yeah, they are supposed to have a Thanksgiving parade but how much can they have with only 2 hours for everything? Before it even starts, I feel tonight is going to be a huge letdown. I miss the "old" DWTS!

SInce the season in general was a huge letdown, I dont expect much for the finale as to why im just going to tune into last few minutes and catch who wins and may watch the freestyles on youtube. Im just over this whole season, it was a major flop.

• Love 3

DWTS will be a popularity contest so one thing I do want to see is the higher scorer of the week is saved from elimination.    And as bitchy as it may come down to, have one week where the judges get to keep one team out of the bottom 2/3.  We've had too many "WHY ARE THEY GONE/WHY ARE THEY STILL HERE!" contestants and it dampens the mood for the finale. 

Dance Center.  That's what I looked forward to for many seasons and I miss it! 

Finally, stop with the showmances unless it happens organically.  Robert and Kym's was sort out of left field that even some of the cast was like "whaaaaaa OMG YAY!" Alexis and Alan is making me want to throw my remote.

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, alexa said:

Get better winners?  That might help.

LOL, Yep the season turned out to be a major flop but I have to say it was karma to the show for many seasons of manipulations and pimping of certain contestants to get what they want. Now their show has turned into a big fat joke and im sure their viewership is even lower than it was the entire season.

• Love 4

I think there's a very simple change that could really help with this show, after the results of last night's finale: change the voting system. It's actually that simple.

Have the judges votes count more than the viewers votes. Allow the judges to have more of an impact with their scoring than the viewers because right now, Bobby's win is solely due to his fanbase. Like we saw with Joe, it didn't matter what he got scored because the viewers vote cancelled out anything the judges could have given him.

I like the idea of changing the bottom two results a bit as well, maybe allowing the audience at the show vote for which one should stay. The viewers vote could maybe count for ONLY knowing which two couples are in jeopardy and then let them have an even playing field in figuring out who goes home. 

• Love 2

Plus I do wonder how much the west coast voting (lack thereof) impacted the result.  Maybe it didn't, but there were definitely less people voting overall due to how they did it this season.  

• Love 4

I would like to see a new mix of pros (and former pros) - (bring back - if they are free and want to come- Mark or Derek or Tony or heck, even Maks.  Mix them up with some new, fresh pros.)  And no troupe.    I would like an all-star season if they could get enough interesting runners up or whatever.  Replace Erin.   The only thing I would want them to keep the same is Tom.  Maybe even some new judges (replacing one or more of the old ones).  Also maybe have a season of either all "ringers" or no one with dance experience (if that is possible) - even out the playing field a bit

Edited by penbrat
  • Love 3

I agree with a lot in this thread....anyone notice that they didn't have the large portrait of each of the 4 in their practice room..it is a little thing but   but I enjoyed when they would look at their portrait on the wall

• Love 7
1 hour ago, vdw84 said:

LOL, Yep the season turned out to be a major flop but I have to say it was karma to the show for many seasons of manipulations and pimping of certain contestants to get what they want. Now their show has turned into a big fat joke and im sure their viewership is even lower than it was the entire season.

They did plenty of pimping for Bones as well. I think they were trying to get him to the finals to plug AI, plus they loved the attention he brought them. It ended up biting them in the ass.

Maybe they should be careful what they wish for. LOL

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I like the idea of changing the bottom two results a bit as well, maybe allowing the audience at the show vote for which one should stay. The viewers vote could maybe count for ONLY knowing which two couples are in jeopardy and then let them have an even playing field in figuring out who goes home. 

IIRC this is what they've been doing on The Voice - the last 2 each sing another song, then there's a Twitter vote. The vote totals displayed on screen while voting is going on, only removed for the last minute or two of the voting window in an effort to build suspense.. Sometimes it's a blowout, sometimes it's very close.

Didn't they used to do some sort of dance-off to stay?

Edited by JeanneH
  • Love 2

I’m not sure voting itself is truly broken.  Like I said in the other thread, I’m pretty sure the weirdness last night with Bobby’s scores and the voting was because there was no mathematical way anyone else could win from the previous week’s votes.

The biggest problem is that promotion of the stars has been pushed back to social media, where only the rabid fans are going to follow/engage.

I stopped watching DWTS a few seasons ago and circled back this year.  The biggest change I noticed was that there was so little fan engagement on the show itself.  Intro packages have been whittled down to a minute.  There’s no results show for the extra fluff.  There’s no confessionals.  It makes it hard for a casual fan to become engaged and pushes the voting back to the fan base that was already there.

If I were running the show my changes would be:

2 hour live show on Monday, 1 hour results on Tuesday.

Start with 12 couples.  No double elimination weeks.  3 couples into the finals.

Everyone is signed on more then a month in advance, partners met, cast announced.  Go back to the couples having time to work on fundamentals.  They don’t have to practice every day of that first month but they should be working on it.

Only intro/packages & couples dancing on Monday nights.  If you need more time to set stuff up, you get longer packages.

After the show on Monday, each couple tapes a Facebook Live for 10-15 minutes recapping what they thought of the night.

The judges don’t get a save but gets to choose the dancer they want to see again on Tuesday night.  Whoever wins that will get 2 points added to their vote total.  That theoretically should keep the best dancer of the week safer.

I wouldn’t make any changes to the judging.  I don’t think there is anything they can really do to that without really pissing people off.  No one wants to see their favorite get 4 & 5’s, even on the first few weeks where it would be understandable.  The scoring really needs to be expanded from the 7-10 constraints they’ve put on themselves.

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Saylii said:

The judges don’t get a save but gets to choose the dancer they want to see again.  Whoever wins that will get 2 points added to their vote total.  That theoretically should keep the best dancer of the week safer.

Not necessarily. The issue still remains with the viewers vote counting so much more than the judges scores. An extra two points makes no difference when a celebrity has the fanbase to overthrow those votes. Look at Joe, for example. He got extremely low scores a couple of weeks there. Week 1, he got the lowest scores of everyone and he was never in any jeopardy. He was only in jeopardy last week when he was eliminated, despite getting the lowest scores almost every week. 

I think one save could work, but I also don't even need that. There just needs to be less weight on the viewer vote and more on the people who are actually at the show watching. 

I don't disagree with the rest of your post, by the way. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sue450 said:

I agree with a lot in this thread....anyone notice that they didn't have the large portrait of each of the 4 in their practice room..it is a little thing but   but I enjoyed when they would look at their portrait on the wall

Sue, Mr SD and I noticed the lack of photos of the finalists as well. We always loved that part too... where the dancers relive their season together thru the photos. The entire finale just seemed off. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, penbrat said:

I would like to see a new mix of pros (and former pros) - (bring back - if they are free and want to come- Mark or Derek or Tony or heck, even Maks.  Mix them up with some new, fresh pros.)  And no troupe.    I would like an all-star season if they could get enough interesting runners up or whatever.  Replace Erin.   The only thing I would want them to keep the same is Tom.  Maybe even some new judges (replacing one or more of the old ones).  Also maybe have a season of either all "ringers" or no one with dance experience (if that is possible) - even out the playing field a bit

I think they should change the judges. I know they've been on the show since the beginning, but IMO they are all terrible. Len gets too bent out of shape if there are troupe members or if there is any creativity whatsoever. He doesn't like a number because of the big production value which is not the dancers' fault. It is the show that pushes that. Carrie Ann is one of the most annoying humans ever. She can't ever get a sentence out because she is slurring and screaming all of her words. She is prettty obnoxious. Bruno, while I find him the most bearable of the judges somehow, is also just too much. I know most people probably like him the least, but for some reason he doesn't bother me as much as the other two judges.

Tom just replied to a comment on Instagram that the show is “unlikely” to return for the spring (which we had already heard) but will “hopefully” return for the fall. Imagine if Bobby Bones is the last DWTS winner ever???

• Love 3

The voting system has to change, it cannot be a 50-50 split anymore so I’d consider implementing at least one of the following..

The vote is split 75-25 in favour of the judges. Should we get to say the final six and only good dancers remain with no crap dancers with a huge fanbase keeping them in, then revert back to 50-50 for the final few shows.

The top scoring half of the couples (so six from 12 in week one) are automatically immune from elimination the following week and only the bottom 6 couples are up for the vote. When it gets to an odd number such as 11 then 5 couples are immune and 6 up for the vote.

Introduce one judges save which can be used once in the season for a couple of their choice that has just been eliminated. So for example this season, no doubt they’d have used it on Tinashe.

The bottom two couples on the leaderboard go straight into jeopardy for the following week and the public vote for who they want to save from the two. The following week, the elimination takes place.

Those are the suggestions right now in terms of changing the vote. It simply cannot stay as it is now. It exposes too many good dancers and leaves bad dancers but fanbase ringers in too strong a position.

• Love 1

What do you all think about a cumulative system? Meaning no weekly eliminations, everyone stays for the entire duration of the show, but the scores and votes from each week get added up. At the end of the season, the couple with the highest cumulative total of scores and votes wins. 

It might be less interesting that way, but at least we all would get to see our favorites dance every week.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, TeeMo said:

Tom just replied to a comment on Instagram that the show is “unlikely” to return for the spring (which we had already heard) but will “hopefully” return for the fall. Imagine if Bobby Bones is the last DWTS winner ever???

Here's an article that said DWTS is coming back. It says summer/fall, whatever that means. 

https://tvshowscancelled.com/dancing-with-the-stars-renewed-for-season-28-by-abc/

• Love 2

It should go back to the ordinal judges score system they used in season 1,2 and what SCD still uses.

With the scores in the ordinal system it would have changed the outcome.

Assuming the finishing order was the exact layout of voting totals heres how it would've gone:

Milo: 4+3= 7
Evanna: 4+2= 6
Alexis: 3+1= 4
Bobby: 1+4=5

So it would've been:

Winner: Milo
Runner up: Evanna
3rd place: Bobby
4th: Alexis

• Love 2
Just now, HaaCHOO said:

HUZZAH !!!!         I still love Len and Bruno.

I didnt care for Len this season. He really upset me on a few things that rubbed me the wrong way all season. Carrieanne has always made me cringe and just seems so overthetop.

• Love 1

I count any scoring changes in the “never gonna happen” bucket, but why not have the judges give two scores: a technical execution score and a performance score. The score then adds up 1/3 technical, 1/3 performance, 1/3 audience. Show what everyone ranked on each one so there’s tranceparency into final scores. Boom, all camps (best dancer watchers, entertainment factor watchers, gut feeling popularity watchers) can feel heard.

My dream dance show, honestly, would be a choreographer focused one. (I realize I’m describing a completely different show here.) Each week everyone gets a theme, a style, maybe another restriction like solo, duet, group, and the end result is performed and judged as a package. You could score it World of Dance style across different factors: Originality, Adherence to assigned dance style, Technical Execution, Performance. (Said show could be shot Project Runway style, no need for audience vote, probably!)

Thats what pulled me into this show anyway, I liked watching the likes of Mark and Derek noodle their way around pulling together the dances. There are a couple other pros who have been good at this as well, though maybe less consistently, and it’s what has kept me following along. Lindsey, Alan, Witney and Emma have had moments. But yeah, my dream show would turn the focus entirely onto that process. (Netflix! Call me! I’ve got an idea!)

• Love 2

Dan Karaty (formerly of SYTYCD) did a choreographer based dance show in the Netherlands that was amazeballs.  I never could understand why it disappeared.  Called _The Ultimate Dance Battle_ it featured a group of choreographers, each of whom auditioned and chose dancers for about a group of 6 or 7 (they all lived in the same house and practised together which may have been part of the show, but as I don't speak Dutch or Flemish which were two of the 3 languages the show used, I don't really know).  Each choregrapher would get assigned a style (usually not their own) and a piece of music and the choreographers were in competition with each other.  I'm pretty sure that the choreographers judged each other with the help of Dan and then audiences voted in real time.  I loved that show.  Some of the dances were unbelievable.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kitcloudkicker said:

I count any scoring changes in the “never gonna happen” bucket, but why not have the judges give two scores: a technical execution score and a performance score. The score then adds up 1/3 technical, 1/3 performance, 1/3 audience. Show what everyone ranked on each one so there’s tranceparency into final scores. Boom, all camps (best dancer watchers, entertainment factor watchers, gut feeling popularity watchers) can feel heard.

They did technical and performance scores during Season 10. I thought it was a disaster.

• Love 1

I agree with those who would like the return of Dance Center, although I admit the last couple of renditions had gotten somewhat dry.   However, the comedy bits that never cease to leave me in stiches are the outtakes that show Lindsay and Witney appearing as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to any common knowledge outside of dancing.  I know it sounds mean spirited but dammit it's funny as hell.

• Love 5
On 11/21/2018 at 2:20 PM, kitcloudkicker said:

The score then adds up 1/3 technical, 1/3 performance, 1/3 audience.

I'd like 50% performance, 30% technical, 20% audience (take THAT, calling trees!)   Also, if Carrie Ann Inaba MUST be there, she can call out a barely perceived "lift" only once a season.

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 3

Years ago I advocated a Christmas show with the following criteria: A contestant must have scored at least one clean 30 during the season, meaning  not a 30 as an upgrade from a previously scored dance or during a finale Freestyle where 30s are now given out Like Candy . I also think the showrunners have to stop treating the audience like idiots, we watched this show for Latin and Ballroom standard dancing and if you look back over the seasons that's when the ratings were better. Coincidence? So yeah stop making this a vehicle for SYTYCD cross overs and bring back more of the classically trained ballroom and Latin dancers to actually teach something.   Christmas show bringing in ONLY those who earned a perfect score during the season .  Think of all the chestnuts we could see- and just leave the also rans off the dance floor, all to Christmas themed music.  Thinking of the pros who are around now and 10 celebs who got a 30 during their actual proper 10 dances, not contemporary or jazz or finale or gimmick 3 dancer show, there's a lot who could fill the dance card: Some of the original pros are no longer on the show, but the celebs did get a chance to dance with the pro they are partnered with so it's not entirely new.  

Evanna and Keo  Rumba to Merry Christmas Darling,   Season 27

Paige Van Zant and Allen   - Samba   Músicas de Natal no Cavaquinho: Noite Feliz - O Velhinho  (Silent Night Brazilian style)  Season 22

Simone Biles and Sasha - Cha Cha Feliz Navidad   Season 24

Jordan and Lindsay Jive  All I Want for Christmas is You  Season 26

Alfonso and Witney   -Paso Doble  Little Drummer Boy   Season 19

Charlie White with Sharna - Viennese Waltz  Skater's Waltz   Season 18

James Hinchcliff and Jenna - Quickstep -  Jingle Bells   Season 23

JP and Cheryl - Argentine Tango -Arabian Dance from the Nutcracker  Season 27 

Rumer Willis with Artem - Foxtrot - Baby it's Cold Outside  Season 20 

Rashad and Emma  - Christmas Waltz (Sinatra)  (slow Waltz) Season 24

Edited by LoveDance
  • Love 3

bobby’s win proves that people would rather mediocrity than actual talent. he won based on popularity and not ability. this win proves that major changes need to be made for this show if they want their ratings to rise. we cannot let this happen again. 

• Love 2

I think DWTS has lost its way that's why the viewership is down. Bring it back to what it originally was: a ballroom/latin-focused show with seasoned professionals (remember when these were world champions, not just SYTYCD alumni?) teaching celebs how to perform these rules-heavy forms of dance.  Strictly Come Dancing is hugely popular as a show and tours, and is still a ratings winner although it's been on longer than DWTS. DWTS viewers don't even know what they are supposed to look for in particular dances because everything seems to have been jazzed up by these inexperienced pros and flipping Mandy Moore. They think performances with lots of mistakes should get high scores because they liked how they looked. They've made the show ordinary and unspecial by watering down what made it unique. Make the show classy and respectable again. Make Jazz and Contemporary choices, not compulsory dances that take away from the core and judges need to scold the pros when their celebs don't seem to have the basics down. Also, the viewers don't need to be informed by the show about any relationships forming between pros or celebs. Let people speculate and leave that to the media.

I had no issue with Bobby winning. That shows the power of the viewing public. He got more votes than everyone else. The audience needs to stop whining and vote for who they want. Would those complaining about Bobby's win like for the show to be solely decided by the judges? Should they remove the viewers' vote? Do you think the audience would be as invested in the show if their voices were muted and they had no say in who wins?  

• Love 1