Type keyword(s) to search

Former DCCs: Where They've Gone & What They're Doing

• Start Topic

I think a better word than "punished" would have made a world of difference. Sidelined, in another spot, etc. I don't know. Punished makes it sound like a bratty child who really isn't sorry for being put in the corner and will go back and be a brat again as soon as time out is done. 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, UnicornKicks said:

I think a better word than "punished" would have made a world of difference. Sidelined, in another spot, etc. I don't know. Punished makes it sound like a bratty child who really isn't sorry for being put in the corner and will go back and be a brat again as soon as time out is done. 

Kelli is a glorified mom-manger.

I watched, I think season 8, where 4 vets were "taken out of uniform" and not allowed to participate in cameos. The 4 vets were so upset, some cried (wailed) while one vet went BALLISTIC.

IMO. No matter how Kelli words things, her tone is that of a mother punishing her kids, therefore they will react like upset children.

Edited by TexasBorn
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, TexasBorn said:

Kelli is a glorified mom-manger.

This is the best description of Kelli that I’ve ever read lol. Everything with her comes off as being so personal, and I think it’s genuine. I think when the girls screw up, especially those were at some her favorites (like I think Jenna was at one point), I think she really does take it to heart and views it almost as offense against her.  It reminds me of my mom scolding me as a teenager and throwing out the “we raised you better than this!” line. 😂 

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

This is the best description of Kelli that I’ve ever read lol. Everything with her comes off as being so personal, and I think it’s genuine. I think when the girls screw up, especially those were at some her favorites (like I think Jenna was at one point), I think she really does take it to heart and views it almost as offense against her.  It reminds me of my mom scolding me as a teenager and throwing out the “we raised you better than this!” line. 😂 

The whole DCC organizational dynamics of personal (sisterhood) with professional (for profit business) baffles me.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, TexasBorn said:

The whole DCC organizational dynamics of personal (sisterhood) with professional (for profit business) baffles me.

Yeah, it’s like a hybrid between a sorority, a college team, and a low paying minimum wage job. I think they only get paid because  they have to, but beyond that, it’s much more like a sorority with all of the social rules and the sisterhood/bff stuff. Then, the parent-child dynamic is much more similar to what you see in college and high school sports with the coaches/athletes than what you will see in a typical professional supervisor/supervisee relationship.

It’s definitely bizarre, but based on some of the other lawsuits and stories that have popped up about other NFL cheer teams, the DCC setup seems to be the norm.

• Love 10
24 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

Yeah, it’s like a hybrid between a sorority, a college team, and a low paying minimum wage job. I think they only get paid because  they have to, but beyond that, it’s much more like a sorority with all of the social rules and the sisterhood/bff stuff. Then, the parent-child dynamic is much more similar to what you see in college and high school sports with the coaches/athletes than what you will see in a typical professional supervisor/supervisee relationship.

It’s definitely bizarre, but based on some of the other lawsuits and stories that have popped up about other NFL cheer teams, the DCC setup seems to be the norm.

Well said.

On 1/7/2019 at 2:54 PM, KnyghtRyder said:

Yasssss, that is exactly where I got it from! It’s my go-to show! I have a quick FRIENDS story: one of my best friends in high school had an uncle whose girlfriend worked in TV in Hollywood. My friend spent the summer of 1994 in CA at her uncles place and got to tour the set of a new tv show premiering that fall and meet all the cast, etc. When she returned home, all she talked about was how we HAD to watch this show and how awesome it was gonna be. And we were all 😒yeah😒yeah😒yeah (that’s a whole bunch of side-eye emojis for those who can’t see them).  And, of course, that show turned out to be FRIENDS and here I am nearly 25 years later...watching it all the way through...again...for the 80th time.  

My Friends story (probably better in Small Talk but oh well): When I was in college our sorority house boy who served our meals was David Schwimmer. He also started a theater company in my dorm that's still going strong.

• Love 8
On 1/8/2019 at 12:33 AM, georgia belle said:

Hi, I’m new to this forum (I’ve been lurking) but not DCC. If y’all dont mind, would someone please explain to me the entire Jenna,Holly, and the players situation? I remember watching Jenna and Holly get in trouble last season but I’d like specifics please. 

Jenna/Holly broke rules and suffered the consequences.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

So I was watching Kelsey Lowrance's youtube video all about her cosmetic procedures. She gets cool sculpting, botox, and laser hair removal. I'm all for doing what you want to do with your own face, but she's too young to need botox.

The time to get Botox is actually before you really need Botox (not that I think anyone “needs” it, but if she wants it, she’s getting it at the right time)

• Love 3
4 hours ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

So I was watching Kelsey Lowrance's youtube video all about her cosmetic procedures. She gets cool sculpting, botox, and laser hair removal. I'm all for doing what you want to do with your own face, but she's too young to need botox.

I heard people do it not to prevent it early one which I think is wild

55 minutes ago, PhillyFan said:

The time to get Botox is actually before you really need Botox (not that I think anyone “needs” it, but if she wants it, she’s getting it at the right time)

She followed it up by saying it helps her headaches, which I've heard before so I wonder if that was the main factor or just a sideline factor. I get really bad headaches, but insurances don't usually cover botox unless you have 15 or more headaches a month so if she can afford to pay out of pocket for it to help then she's a lucky girl!

3 minutes ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

She followed it up by saying it helps her headaches, which I've heard before so I wonder if that was the main factor or just a sideline factor. I get really bad headaches, but insurances don't usually cover botox unless you have 15 or more headaches a month so if she can afford to pay out of pocket for it to help then she's a lucky girl!

She might be able to; I just looked up cool sculpting and each session looks wildly expensive!

On 1/7/2019 at 11:15 PM, scorpio1031 said:

USO tour in Italy I believe 

I am really hesitant to bring this up because I REALLY don't want to bring up/start the Cassie debate all over again, but if they went to Italy in 2016 (and when I looked it up, I believe it was Korea in 2015),  Cassie (or anyone else) couldn't have irreparably damaged the DCC/USO relationship. From all the talk on here, I thought they were banned from doing overseas tours, but obviously not. If it's really that they're just not going to active hostile/war zones anymore (i.e., Afghanistan), then it's because they think it's too dangerous for cheerleaders/civilians to be there, not because of someone's alleged bad behaviour.

ETA: Just went back & looked at the whole article. Looks like they were still going to hostile zones, at least in 2015, so not sure what all the "irreparable damage" hoopla is about:

The most recent USO Tours, the 79th and 80th in DCC history, took place this past holiday season. In December, half of the DCC Show Group traveled to South Korea, an annual destination. But the other half of Show Group headed in a different direction entirely, namely to Turkey, then Kuwait, spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in the Middle East.

Edited by hannahbanana
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, hannahbanana said:

The most recent USO Tours, the 79th and 80th in DCC history, took place this past holiday season. In December, half of the DCC Show Group traveled to South Korea, an annual destination. But the other half of Show Group headed in a different direction entirely, namely to Turkey, then Kuwait, spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in the Middle East.

I'm assuming this is a quote about the 2015 tour?  I think starting last year (yeah, Italy 2016, domestic 2017) they began to visit US bases, but not as performers, as ambassadors.  Again, I think I remember Shelly telling us this when we (the board) were asking why non show group members were going.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I'm assuming this is a quote about the 2015 tour?  I think starting last year (yeah, Italy 2016, domestic 2017) they began to visit US bases, but not as performers, as ambassadors.  Again, I think I remember Shelly telling us this when we (the board) were asking why non show group members were going.

Yes,  Dec 2015 tour. I was just surprised they were still going overseas in 2015 & 2016 after all had been said about Cassie's actions ruining everything with the USO. I thought it had been strictly domestic tours since her alleged antics. Just goes to show, you can't believe everything you read (or thought you were reading). 😜

Edited by hannahbanana
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, hannahbanana said:

Yes,  Dec 2015 tour. I was just surprised they were still going overseas in 2015 & 2016 after all had been said about Cassie's actions ruining everything with the USO.

Yeah, not to say that it couldn't have happened, but it certainly doesn't make sense.  I mean, as has been mentioned before, Shelly started a romance on USO tour and that didn't make them stop doing them...yes she married him, but nobody could see the future to know that it would become serious.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, hannahbanana said:

Yes,  Dec 2015 tour. I was just surprised they were still going overseas in 2015 & 2016 after all had been said about Cassie's actions ruining everything with the USO. I thought it had been strictly domestic tours since her alleged antics. Just goes to show, you can't believe everything you read (or thought you were reading). 😜

No, you are wrong, Cassie is Satan. Board says so.

JUST KIDDING. I agree with you. Cassie has far less power than she is given here, isn't any where near being as evil or conniving as she is portrayed, and Dang HAS BEEN GONE FOR YEARS. All the exaggeration just makes me what to defend her and I never really even was a fan back in the day. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, UnicornKicks said:

No, you are wrong, Cassie is Satan. Board says so.

JUST KIDDING. I agree with you. Cassie has far less power than she is given here, isn't any where near being as evil or conniving as she is portrayed, and Dang HAS BEEN GONE FOR YEARS. All the exaggeration just makes me what to defend her and I never really even was a fan back in the day. 

😈😈😈 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

My quote regarding the USO tour in Italy was in response to Holly and Jenna not being able to go because of alleged misbehavior.  Nothing to do with Cassie.

Right, but Cassie was brought into it because Italy was a reminder of the rumor that says USO tours were stopped because of Cassie, but Italy happened after Cassie retired.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ByTor said:

Right, but Cassie was brought into it because Italy was a reminder of the rumor that says USO tours were stopped because of Cassie, but Italy happened after Cassie retired.  

Ohhhhhhh.....never mind😁

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

In your defense, Cassie can be...ummmm....shall we say....controversial?  :)

Cassie is the only DCC to have more lives than a kitty cat, and rumor is they have 9.

Just a rumor, because I don't have the receipts to prove it and am unwilling to sacrifice anyone's kitty cat for validity.

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Cassie is the only DCC to have more lives than a kitty cat, and rumor is they have 9.

Just a rumor, because I don't have the receipts to prove it and am unwilling to sacrifice anyone's kitty cat for validity.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH 

I think a few of us were thinking Cassie may have something to do with the girls not preforming during USO Tours and not going on tours at all. Read some place the DCC Organization had to beg to be able to continue to go on the tour after what Cassie did on the one appearance. Makes me think there were other occasions where Cassie and other girls were breaking the rules.

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

I think a few of us were thinking Cassie may have something to do with the girls not preforming during USO Tours and not going on tours at all. Read some place the DCC Organization had to beg to be able to continue to go on the tour after what Cassie did on the one appearance. Makes me think there were other occasions where Cassie and other girls were breaking the rules.

I seriously do not doubt this.  Her actions as mentioned above have been controversial . . .

• Love 2
9 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I don't think so. They continued performing long after Cassie's tenure and whether they perform or not is not going to change their behaviour in their down time. It would make sense to just have them perform and cut out the personal interactions if their behaviour was truly the problem (less chance of hooking up with soldiers if they never get to talk to them or meet them face-to-face).

I think people are just reading more into the USO changes and assuming there must be some nefarious reason (i.e., bad behaviour) behind them when TPTB just decided to do things differently. If the USO didn't want the DCC, the DCC wouldn't be there no matter how much they begged (& if it was that bad, Cassie would have been sent home by the USO Powers That Be no matter who her mother is).

This is from the same article I quoted above. Would 2013 have been Cassie's last USO tour or the year after she retired? If they really viewed the DCC as a problem, I don't think they'd be inviting them to Washington D.C.:

In 2013, the USO invited the DCC to the USO Gala in Washington to help the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Congress, and the Secretary of Defense to honor the Service Members of the Year.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, hannahbanana said:

It would make sense to just have them perform and cut out the personal interactions if their behaviour was truly the problem (less chance of hooking up with soldiers if they never get to talk to them or meet them face-to-face).

Good point.  So what they're doing now, interactions with no performance, would make even less sense.  There was also a rumor about Cassie that the reason the performances stopped was that she was injured during a USO performance, which IMO makes sense.

If the USO didn't want the DCC, the DCC wouldn't be there no matter how much they begged (& if it was that bad, Cassie would have been sent home by the USO Powers That Be no matter who her mother is).

I think that if one person was the problem child, there would be a request for that person to not return, I really doubt the whole team would be banned.

In 2013, the USO invited the DCC to the USO Gala in Washington to help the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Congress, and the Secretary of Defense to honor the Service Members of the Year.

I never knew this.  No wonder Kelli says every season about having to be well spoken because they deal with military officials.

• Love 1
On 1/7/2019 at 5:49 AM, ByTor said:

IMO it wasn't about Jenna taking anything away from Kashara, it was about Jenna getting back something that was supposed to be hers.  

This. This won't be a popular opinion among most, but I did not look down on Jenna for the letter she sent Shelley. I did think the timing could have been better and she should have addressed Kelli head on, BUT the fact that Jenna needed to even ask shows Kelli's poor management skills. When people know their expectation and consequences, there is no gray area. If point was completely off the table for Jenna period, she should have been told that point was no longer an option which would have stopped any further questioning.  

• Love 15
5 hours ago, ByTor said:

Good point.  So what they're doing now, interactions with no performance, would make even less sense.  There was also a rumor about Cassie that the reason the performances stopped was that she was injured during a USO performance, which IMO makes sense.

I think that if one person was the problem child, there would be a request for that person to not return, I really doubt the whole team would be banned.

Was the rumor that USO banned the DCCs from doing overseas tours due to Cassie or that the DCCs themselves changed the structure of the tours because of it? The story has taken so many turns that I continue to confused about the allegation is. I don’t buy that any one cheerleader could’ve stopped the USO tour, outside of an incident that made it into the press. I do think that it probably was a big embarrassment to the DCCs, which has been enough to get other girls in hot water with K&J&C.

Another example of the DCCs having different rules and consequences for different people is the bigger issue, IMO, not so much what Cassie allegedly did.

3 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

the fact that Jenna needed to even ask shows Kelli's poor management skills.

Playing devil's advocate...is it possible Kelli did tell Jenna that point was off the table, but Jenna in her mind was like "Nah, she didn't mean it, she's just punishing me for now"?

46 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

Was the rumor that USO banned the DCCs from doing overseas tours due to Cassie or that the DCCs themselves changed the structure of the tours because of it?

LOL I've seen both rumors.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Playing devil's advocate...is it possible Kelli did tell Jenna that point was off the table, but Jenna in her mind was like "Nah, she didn't mean it, she's just punishing me for now"?

If I knew nothing about Kelli other than the situation with Jenna, I may reach my toe into this reality and give her the benefit of the doubt. However, Kelli's management of the team has been questionable since season 1. The person who called her the ultimate mom-ager is absolutely spot on. I have no doubt that she is smart and capable, but her tactics, games and mind tricks have been her signature the entire time. And this is opinion was formed long before VK came through the door, but I do think the VK situation showed the brightest light on her inability to separate personal from business. 

Edited by Loves2Dance
  • Love 10
42 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

If I knew nothing about Kelli other than the situation with Jenna, I may reach my toe into this reality and give her the benefit of the doubt. However, Kelli's management of the team has been questionable since season 1. The person who called her the ultimate mom-ager is absolutely spot on. I have no doubt that she is smart and capable, but her tactics, games and mind tricks have been her signature the entire time. And this is opinion was formed long before VK came through the door, but I do think the VK situation showed the brightest light on her inability to separate personal from business. 

If I could “like” this 10 times, I would. If we were talking about some terrible advertisement featuring the DCCs, I would give Kelli the benefit of the doubt and say that someone else probably had a hand in it. After all, she has proven herself to be a phenomenal marketer. However, anything even remotely touching on an HR/managerial issue - no way lol! 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ByTor said:

No, and as much as Jenna made a lot of dumb choices TOTALLY ON HER OWN, this time she was sort of urged toward that convo as part of a story arc and by her "friends". She was so obsessed with being named point she was dumb enough to take the advice and ask how long she was going to be grounded lol. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, UnicornKicks said:

No,

It's just an alternate thought.  Since I never worked for Kelli, I have no idea what she's like as a boss (beyond what we see on the show), so I just threw out a possibility in her defense.

16 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

There is nothing like a man in an armed services uniform, especially a navy man.  No telling what I would have done. 

*Fans you* You need some water girl I got you *hands water*

Edited by 8dallas
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, 8dallas said:

OMG Is Jenna the new Cassie in terms of drama that will last us a new decade...but this time I will be in the defense..2019 peoples

Jenna's a long way from becoming the new Cassie -- not even close. And as far as the "2019 peoples," it is the "Former DCC" thread & only happened last season, not 5 or 6 years ago.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, hannahbanana said:

Jenna's a long way from becoming the new Cassie -- not even close. And as far as the "2019 peoples," it is the "Former DCC" thread & only happened last season, not 5 or 6 years ago.

Tea girl you are right I love Jenna!!! bahah you got me there, I mean my biggest thing this past year is that Tara was robbed.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

There is nothing like a man in an armed services uniform, especially a navy man.  No telling what I would have done. 

I see your statement and raise you an Army guy---they're way, way hotter. 

10 minutes ago, 8dallas said:

I mean my biggest thing this past year is that Tara was robbed.

That is the only thing you took away from Training Camp circa the Clown Train of 2018?

• Love 2