Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E08: You Get What You Give

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

These Nullifier questions had already been addressed in another thread, but darned if I can remember where.  As I recall from that previous discussion, though, the Nullfier’s focus was on the idol’s target and not its source.  

In other words - if John Doe played the Nullifier and wrote down Joe Blow’s name:

1. If Joe Blow played an idol on himself, the idol was nullified.
  2. If Suzy Q played an idol on Joe Blow, THAT idol would be nullified.
  3. If Joe Blow played an idol on Suzy Q, the idol would be unaffected and Suzy Q would still have immunity.
  • Love 2

What a treat - I watched the last two episodes in a row!

So refreshing to see an idol played with the long term view of saving a minority from being  pagonged. Instead of Davie saving only himself when he thinks his turn has come to be voted out, he's now opened himself more options down the road. I can't wait to see how this little tribe that can will leverage the vote stealing (+extra vote!), which could turn a 7-5 minority into a 5-7 majority - much more promising / easier to use than the nullifier.

I'm also enjoying seeing these players come together, each bringing something to the table: advantage 1, advantage 2, hidden immunity idol, talent for creating a distraction, mad skills at tribal, and what have you. Much more fun than multiple talking heads of the mastermind of the season patting himself (it's usually a him, isn't it?) on the back while twirling an imaginery mustache! 

I can't believe I started the season not liking Nick much, wary that I was in advance about alliance naming. How wrong I was - he's seriously impressive. Nick was so cool and collected here, taking care of business without breaking a sweat, while Davie appeared cool and collected but was super excited and nervous and Carl was bursting with excitement at being an integral part of such a fun alliance. Christian's acting skill at TC was very good too. 

I've also changed my mind on Alec. I no longer think he's only looking to make big moves even to his detriment, and am now open to the possibility that there is a logic behind the initial apparent madness.

Angelina is cracking me up. She's a mix of astute observations (on Dan, on men/women perceptions), blatant/awkward gameplay, bouts of genuine and fake indignation; she reminds me very much of a character in a movie, or maybe a cartoon, I wish I could put my finger on who it is, but I find that she's a hoot - and by far the most entertaining woman of the season.

• Love 17
7 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I can't wait to see what she begs for next. She can also lose me with the Jan Brady/no one listens to girls shit when her fellow Gs wanted to vote out Christian and she whined about already having that idea last go-round. Um, maybe if you were less, um, YOU, they might have been up for it. It had ZERO to do with her being a woman. 

Solid gold!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, blackwing said:

I don't recall anyone saying they disliked her because she was a woman. 

I mean, people don't usually come right out and say that. 

6 hours ago, Special K said:

I just wanted to point out that Kara is strong.  She was one of the people on her team consistently holding more than one bag during the Reward Challenge and didn't seem very stressed about it.

I've been thinking for awhile now that Kara is a real dark horse in the game. She has definitely proven to be quite physically strong and she has shown a few times to have a good grasp on strategy, too. Her and Alec are the only Goliaths I'm actually interested in, game-wise. I mean, I love Dan and Angelina, but for different reasons lol.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I have an instant irritation with anyone who sits around with a toothpick hanging out of his mouth. (And where in the hell did he get a toothpick anyway - did they let him bring his own supply?) It looks so nakedly pretentious like the guy thinks he's Clint Eastwood or something. I realize the guy is popular and made a great game play this week but the toothpick thing keeps me from fully embracing him, honestly.

I am so with you on this. I let it go this time because everything else was pure perfection, but if he keeps it up it's gonna really dampen my love for him.

15 minutes ago, NutMeg said:

Angelina is cracking me up. She's a mix of astute observations (on Dan, on men/women perceptions), blatant/awkward gameplay, bouts of genuine and fake indignation; she reminds me very much of a character in a movie, or maybe a cartoon, I wish I could put my finger on who it is, but I find that she's a hoot - and by far the most entertaining woman of the season.

So true! She's fascinating to me and straight-up hilarious.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 6
56 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

I'm pretty sure this is right. The idol is nullifed for the person the idol is being played for, whether that's oneself or another player. Here's the text of the note that Carl got with the nullifier:

If I read all these posts correctly, it means to me that someone on the show did a terrible job when the tried to explain the use of the nullifier when they wrote:

"You will play this in secret when you vote at Tribal Council. Write the name of the person you want to block from using an idol. If an idol is played for them, this advantage will nullify the idol."

This is very confusing and the language used is terrible. It says "write the name of the person you want to block from using an idol". But that seems to only apply when someone is using the idol to protect themself. The second part reads "If an idol is played for them, this advantage will nullify the idol.". The person "using an idol" is the one who plays it. But "If an idol is played for them" refers to when someone plays an idol to protect someone else. In that case it does not protect the person who plays it. It protects the person they name as the one to be protected.

Nashville stated the situation very clearly and IMHO he was completely correct.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Special K said:

I personally think all the Davids were fully in on the plan.  I went back and watched JP reading the votes, and the way they were reacting/celebrating (yes, even Gabby) said a lot.

I think they were all in on it.  Carl definitely was, and he was one of the people to vote for Angelina.  They played those big goofs good.  Nobody roots for Goliath.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, 303420 said:

Davie could have pulled this off on his own if he sold different stories to Carl and Nick about which advantage was being played, but that seems unnecessarily risky. Instead, I think Davie told one or both of Carl and Nick about the idol, and that person went along with the cover story that involved using their advantage. Gabby and Christian didn't even have to know all the details. If Nick assured Christian that he's got him covered, what's Christian gonna do, say FU? 

I think Davie and Carl and Nick have a threesome, possibly with Christian as their fourth (I agree that no one has him in their end game except maybe Gabby). Within that threesome there are possible twosomes.

I was a little surprised that Christian was willing to just let it drop when Nick told him he had it covered. I was waiting for panic and paranoia to kick in and end up sinking the plan.

I'm sorry to see John go, I liked him, but that was an amazing tribal. Such a good season. 

Mike's stock definitely fell for me this episode, but I was interested to hear his response to Gabby's remarks from the previous tribal, because I had the same reaction. Especially before the votes came up all Elizabeth and I thought they might still be trying to blindside Angelina, I couldn't figure out why Gabby would make such a big deal about how the Davids were going to fight back. It seemed like the worst possible argument to convince the Goliaths to keep a David around. 

Angelina continues to be hilariously transparent. I'm glad Dan burned an idol, but I don't fully understand why he did. Yes, she's a number for his alliance, but she's also shown herself to be untrustworthy. She'll go whichever way the wind is blowing, this idol play isn't going to cement any loyalties with her. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

annoying as I found him last night, I wouldn't say Mike has burned all his bridges just yet. Unless Alec and Alison rat him out for the secret six alliance, which they won't because they were in it for all of the second it lasted, to the other Goliath's, Mike is still very much with them. I guess Christian, if he realizes that Mike was the one gunning for him, can let the other Goliath's know about his double dealing but I think for right now, Mike is still a good number for the Goliaths. I can see the Davids targeting him though, with Christian and Nick now knowing how sneaky he is. On top of his spearheading the targeting of Christian, he tried to throw Gabby under the bus TO Christian, her closest ally.

Alec told Nick that Mike was the one targeting Christian. I believe that Nick told Christian that it was Mike tareting him. I think it is safe to say that bridge has been burnt. Alison is probably in some degree of trouble with the alliancebecause she didn’t tell Christian and she voted for Christian. Alec at least told Nick even if he voted for Christian.

On the nullifier, I am sorry if my posts were not clear. The Carl has to specify the exact individual who is using the idol. By that, I mean the person protected by the idol. So if Dan plays it for Angelina and Carl writes down Dan, the nulifier is void. If Dan plays it for Angelina and Carl writes down Angelina, the nulifier was used properly and the votes still count.

I think that the Davids were justifiably happy with that tribal outcome. 1) They blindside all of the goliaths. 2) While the Davids are still down in the numbers, they are not as far down as they woud have been. 3) They know that the Goliath’s are not unified.Two tribals and two Goliaths have provided the Davids with important information. The Davids didn’t try and save Elizabeth, they did not have the vote steal and she had really annoyed Carl and Davie, but they did save Christian. 4) At least three of the Davids know that they have the vote steal and the nulifier. If used properly, they can use those to even out the numbers. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, blackwing said:

I agree that they made a great move... BUT they only were able to pull it off because Alec tipped them off that Christian was the target.  To the Goliaths, it looks like the idol play for Christian was a brilliant move, but it's not like it was a random stab... it happened because Alec betrayed his alliance.  I still am curious if Alec was purposely trying to sabotage Goliath in an effort to salvage the Six, or if he was just dumb.

Maybe it was option C? Alec didn't like the idea of removing Christian yet but didn't see a way out of it. By telling Nick, he preserves his alliance with Nick. Alec mentions that with that knowledge the Davids can screw things up, but he ALSO knows that Dan has an HII. I'd guess he thinks if an idol is played, Dan will simply play his idol. And if anything does go wrong, I think Alec is assuming the Goliath that leaves will be Angelina, which wouldn't exactly break his heart.

Even the way it ended up isn't necessarily bad for Alec. He's maintained some capital with Nick and will probably be viewed as a possible swing vote by the Davids, giving him more options and moving him down their target list. The Goliaths still think he's loyal and have a numbers advantage, so their focus will probably be on the Davids, completely removing him from their target list. And Dan, another bug, strong target, just burned an idol.

On another topic... Whoever it was who said that no one mentioned Hannah's armpit hair, maybe that was true. I don't recall. But if so, it could have been because people were too busy complaining that she didn't "sit like a lady." (Strangely, none of the guys sat like a lady either and no one complained about that...) So I don't think we progressed and then suddenly regressed or anything just because there are comments on armpit hair or clothing this season.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, simplyme said:

On another topic... Whoever it was who said that no one mentioned Hannah's armpit hair, maybe that was true. I don't recall. But if so, it could have been because people were too busy complaining that she didn't "sit like a lady." (Strangely, none of the guys sat like a lady either and no one complained about that...) So I don't think we progressed and then suddenly regressed or anything just because there are comments on armpit hair or clothing this season.

Fair. I was mostly musing on the difference and possible reasons for it. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, cheewhiz said:

They were playing for a dozen pizzas - 2 pizzas per person

I wasn't sure if they were each expected to eat two full pizzas at one sitting or were they allowed to keep the leftovers for another meal?

22 hours ago, North of Eden said:

About the dozen pizzas...just to give an idea ho much SURVIVOR has changed since season one...that sample piece Jeff passed around was once the reward for the ENTIRE tribe....once slice....not a dozen whole pies!

Actually, the single slice was an individual award. Gervase won it, then let everyone take a bite instead of keeping the whole piece for himself.

• Love 8

I'm finally getting to watch this - was on a plane from San Francisco last night so I missed it.

Well, Angelina, now for more lies about her conversation with Elizabeth. And no one is believing them.  And what did Allison spit out of her mouth just then while they were sitting around in the dark after tribal? 

OK, the Strike Force is looking for the best opportunity to strike. Shut up, Mike, about Gabby! He's trying to get Christian worried about Gabby, but maybe Christian should be worried about Mike instead.

So Davie finds the merge clue. Gabby should have snatched it while she had a chance. Too many people looking for that idol. Not an idol, but an advantage. Davie's in pretty good shape.

12 pizzas for 6 people?? Whoa, who can eat that much? Might as well save some for the losers. (Probably two pizzas so the crew can get the leftovers.) And I wonder who was the last one picked in the schoolyard pick. So either Nick or Angelina was the last one picked, if Jeff is naming them in order. I'm not really liking the armpit camera view they're using in this challenge. I wonder if any of them are thinking, "Shut up, Jeff!" or if they've totally tuned him out. Ha! Dan drops his!! Yay Gabby's team!

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

So Davie finds the merge clue. Gabby should have snatched it while she had a chance. Too many people looking for that idol. Not an idol, but an advantage. Davie's in pretty good shape.

Nick found the clue and the advantage. Davie knows about the advantage and it sounds like they are planning on using the various advantages as a unit. 

Rob C had a good point on RHAP. He said that there is no way that Christian wants to take Davie to the final tribal now because it is too easy for Davie to say that Christian is only there because of of Davie’s play. the same can be said about Carl, Davie and Nick. The three of them have a good reason to work together in the short run but they are going to have to target each other in the long run. More so then they would in normal situations. All three should want the two remaining advantages used before they are ready to turn on each other. 

All in all, it was a great episode and sets up a great stretch of episodes.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Rob C had a good point on RHAP. He said that there is no way that Christian wants to take Davie to the final tribal now because it is too easy for Davie to say that Christian is only there because of of Davie’s play. the same can be said about Carl, Davie and Nick. 

And if Survivor voting really were based on Big Moves, this might be an issue. But it's usually based more on who the juror would least mind losing Survivor to, which is usually based on social relations and only comes down to better strategy when the finalists are equally liked. Which is why you don't want to take Christian or Nick, but should be thinking Angelina and Gabby sound great in a final three with you. (Not that people dislike Gabby, but the crying...)

• Love 7

Christian is probably smarter than you, Mike.

So the plan is to vote out Christian - Mike proposes it. And Angelina is ticked because it was her idea first and she's getting NO CREDIT! for it.

I didn't realize Elizabeth was on the jury. Well I'm glad to see her some more.

I have no idea how this vote will go. I hope Christian isn't voted out. Ha! ha! Yay for Davie!

And now Dan plays an idol for Angelina. So who's left? Funny if someone voted for Dan.

Now Hashtag Shocker!! It's John! And that was clever play! I wonder if Christian was in on it.

But what happened to the immunity challenge? Did I totally miss it?  I better check.

OK, here is immunity. How in the world did I skip over that whole section? So Dan must have won immunity since they wouldn't have voted for Angelina at tribal if she had immunity. But now he has only one idol left. I can't remember if he told someone he had another idol. I know it wasn't public knowledge like the first one was. Well, good for him. 

Christian may not have an idol, but he does have a nice robot T-shirt. I really managed to skip over a lot of the show.

I'm liking Nick more. He knows how to put out his point of view, but not to pressure Davie to go his way.

On 11/14/2018 at 8:02 PM, LadyChatts said:

Christian lives!

Sounds like an Easter hymn.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, blackwing said:

After Mike and Dan's team lost the reward, as the others were going to get their pizza, one of them said something about "should we kill one of the chickens".  I was waiting for fallout on this decision if they actually did it.  There's often some kind of sour grapes drama about someone who lost a food reward going and killing one of the chickens which are supposed to be communal.  I very much doubt they would kill a chicken and save half of it for the pizza-eating half of the tribe.

After pizza gang walked off with their spoils, we saw several of them hold a poor chicken down on the ground and I think from memory Carl lifting the machete to chop the fine feathered friend's head off. I looked away.

3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I mean, people don't usually come right out and say that. 

Oh, they do when it's an 'old' woman.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, blackwing said:

I'd like to think it's because Angelina is arrogant and nasty and is getting a lot of negative feedback.

I can't pick if you think this is a good reason or you're just making an observation, so this isn't really directed at you but... so?

If the issue is that she's arrogant and nasty, they why not make fun of her arrogance and nastiness, instead of her pit hair or her thighs? It's like when someone has a terrible personality and people use that as an excuse to call them fat, or say homophobic things, or worse.  

And as I've said I was no Angelina fan until this episode. I'm still not particularly, but she has said and done plenty of mockable things, there's really no need to focus on her armpit hair. 

• Love 10

I just don’t see arrogant and nasty with Angelina but I never had a problem with Chrissy either. I think they both suffer from being in a season with no real villian so people who are annoying and cause us to roll our eyes become the villian. This tends to include creating reasons to dislike them. 

Angelina thinks that she is smart and manipulative and knows far more then she does. She is most differently entitled, she thinks she can get whatever she asks for because she asks nicely. She is trying to be a big player using tactics that don’t match her skill set. 

To be frank, I don’t see her game as being all that different then Alec’s. They are trying to play both sides and neither of them is particularly smooth. 

Angelina is annoying but she has not been cruel to anyone or even all that rude. She is demanding, not really bossy, and entitled. Just annoying. 

• Love 6

I agree that it wasn’t so much Alec who is the mvp this episode. Sure, he leaked that the Goliaths were going to blindside Christian. But he only did that because he was pretty sure the Davids couldn’t do anything about it. The mvp is the person who correctly came up with the 3-2 split- heavy on John. In the episode Davie says he’d been thinking about it and the only way they could be successful at that tribal was for him to play his idol. This leads me to believe that he was the one who suggested the split. Although it could have been a combination of him and Christian.

This video explains more of Davie’s thinking before the vote. At least we know it was decided before the vote which David would vote for which Goliath and why they chose John. But the video still doesn’t tell us who put the split plan together.

Davie’s Confessional

Although it had an enjoyable shock factor, I wasn’t sure I liked it that the editors kept us in the dark about how this very important blindside was formulated. But now I really like that they’re not telling us everything yet. So many times when I’ve talked to people about Survivor, they’d say things like, “I knew so and so was bluffing during tribal counsel” or “this person should have known to play their idol.” The fact is, when you’re out there you never know what’s going on. We see so much background info that the people in the game are not privy to. It’s totally easier to guess what’s going on when you’re at home. As we saw last night, when we don’t get that background, we can’t tell who’s lying during tribal - i.e. all of the Davids last night.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Special K said:

I just wanted to point out that Kara is strong.  She was one of the people on her team consistently holding more than one bag during the Reward Challenge and didn't seem very stressed about it.

Yeah, I just went back and watched the challenge and she had atleast 2 bags over her head the whole time and at one point had 3 because as she told Mike "Honestly I feel fine".  Of course Probst was being over dramatic in the challene saying how everyone was uncomfortable (while showing a clip of people struggling except for Kara was a freaking statue not moving at all).  Then of course he gets even more excited that Dan was holding 3 bags over his head (while ignoring that Kara standing right next to him had 3 as well).

One other thing in that challenge I haven't seen mentioned is after Carl dropped out he appeared to be in a lot of back pain and Angelina immediately starting giving him a massage but I am sure that was just jury management or something.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, eel2178 said:

Actually, the single slice was an individual award. Gervase won it, then let everyone take a bite instead of keeping the whole piece for himself.

Ah, gotcha...thanks for the refresher....that was nearly 20 years ago so I plead hazy memory but the underlying gist is the same...today's Survivor vs that of yesteryear is wildly out of balance. These castaways today might as well be living like royals compared to back in the day.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, lids said:

<snip>

This video explains more of Davie’s thinking before the vote. At least we know it was decided before the vote which David would vote for which Goliath and why they chose John. But the video still doesn’t tell us who put the split plan together.

Davie’s Confessional

<snip>

That was a very enjoyable confessional. I never had any idea Davie was such an incredible guy. Thanks for posting that.

After watching that, I really would love to see Davie win this whole season. He's plenty smart and more importantly - he seems plenty savvy in the ways of Survivor.

Christian is also plenty smart. But if he was as savvy as Davie, I wonder if he would have announced to everyone how skilled he was at solving puzzles - even though it soon became obvious.

Davie appears to be underestimated by many - for whatever reason. Because of that, I would love to see him go to the end and hopefully win the $1 million. If not him, then Nick.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

To be frank, I don’t see her game as being all that different then Alec’s. They are trying to play both sides and neither of them is particularly smooth. 

Hmm, what are the two sides Angelina is playing?  I thought she was Goliath Strong.  (I personally disagree that Alec is anywhere near as unsmooth as Angelina, I would call him very smooth indeed so far, but that's a matter of opinion.)

3 hours ago, lids said:

Davie’s Confessional

1 hour ago, MissBluxom said:

That was a very enjoyable confessional. I never had any idea Davie was such an incredible guy. Thanks for posting that.

It really is.  I love seeing people play the game this way.  Pro-active and taking risks to win, not playing safe and walking slowly to the slaughter.  Really fantastic, like so many people this time.  When the season is over can we just restart again with the same cast and have them all play again?

• Love 12
On 11/14/2018 at 9:10 PM, EllipticalAddicted said:

I love this season.   Bravo.    John showed a classy exit, laughing when he saw it was him.    

What did Nick say to John at the end (in good fun), something like "and that's jumping from the top rope" .   I know it was a wrestling phrase.     The whole thing was just shocking, surprising and fun.    Well done!!!

I love Nick.  I like all the castaways this season.  Even Natalie.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

Hmm, what are the two sides Angelina is playing?  I thought she was Goliath Strong.  (I personally disagree that Alec is anywhere near as unsmooth as Angelina, I would call him very smooth indeed so far, but that's a matter of opinion.)

Angelina was full on in support of voting out Natalie, even asking for permission to vote for Lyrsa so she might get Natalie’s jacket. Angelina is also the person so told Elizabeth she was going to be voted out. Angelina will flop to the David’s if she thinks it benefits herself. She is Goliath Strong right now for the same reason Alec is, they appear to have the numbers and workign with the David’s is too risky. 

Alec told Nic about the Christian vote for the same reason Angelina told Elizabeth, jury management. 

Alec might be a bit more clear that he is willing to move, at least in his confessionals, but Angelina is willing to move if she thinks it suits her. 

While I think Christian is really smart and nice, I don't know if I think he is very Survivor Savvy.  I think the split vote plan was developed by Davey and Nick in that they seem to have been thinking strategically throughout the season; more so than Christian.  Christian brushed off Mike's concerns about Gabby rather than dealing with them and in return Mike started doubting the strength of their secret alliance.  Really, all Christian had to do was talk with Gabby and have her tell Mike that she was reacting that way so that nobody would realize there was a secret alliance (whether true or not).  Done.  Nick, on the other hand, found out about the Christian vote and remained calm while working through the various advantages that they held with Carl and Davey.  It would appear that they developed a plan and then brought in Christian and, maybe, Gabby.  There is nothing to support my next statement-I think that Davey and Nick may have weighed all the various outcomes and decided to use the idol this TC and then Nick's steal a vote would be the push to get them the majority at the next TC.  I may (and probably am) be absolutely wrong about that, but it makes sense to me.

A new alliance of Davey, Nick, and Carl would be fun.  I love how the Goliaths have seemingly underestimated the Davids with the exception of Christian.  They need to be more aware of the others.

Angelina is kind of the gift that keeps giving in that she seems herself as a master manipulator while everyone else there sees through all of her attempts at manipulation. 

Edited to add that the reason I don't think Christian is necessarily Survivor Savvy is that as John was leaving, Christian kind of made his exit all about himself when he asked if he could still be the comptroller of Slamtown.  It seemed to kind of rub in that the "Mayor" was leaving while the comptroller was still there.  I know many will probably disagree with me, but I just felt changing the focus from John to himself while John was leaving was a bit too self-serving.    

Edited by seacliffsal
  • Love 6

I don't think Christian is all that Survivor savy. I think he understands what he is suppose to do but not the complexities of making that happen. He gets that he needs to be social and work with people but he doesn't understand how to do that without putting a huge target on his back. He has allowed his desire to be a part of the cool club overwhelm his understanding of the game.  That said, he has never been shy about being willing to throw alliance mates and friends under the bus. Christian was right there with Nick in sacrificing Gabby after the Jessica vote and just voted for his friend, John.

I think that his nerd cred is partially ramped up by the lack of sunglasses. I think the permanent squint is more of a "I need some sunglasses" then anything else.

Christian is a smart guy who is over playing the social game. It is weird typing that because normally the social game is what is ignored. I don't think that Christian wins against Davie or Nick or Alec because I think the three of them can point to far better game play. Christian has managed to make himself a target with all the Goliaths and he has not come close to winning a challenge. It's kind of crazy.

• Love 3

THIS IS SUCH A GREAT SEASON!

I more-or-less gave up watching "Survivor" a few seasons ago because (a) they're stuck in Fiji now all the time, and one of the things I really used to like about the show was its exotic locales and (b) when everyone on the show is someone I can't stand, the social game is just p-a-i-n-f-u-l to watch.

But I really like all of this season's Survivors!  Yes, even, overly eager, manipulative, desperate Angelina!  Yes, even pouty, former-Fat-Boy Dan!

And when people I really like play the social game, it's totally fun to watch!

John had such a great attitude toward being voted out!  Davey was such the cool, underground mastermind!  I was filled with the BIG LUV for them both!!!!

For the win, I'm thinking Nick, Davey or Allison.  I love Christian, but I think he'll be out at fifth place if not sooner.  I also love Alex, but alas!  We know how that one goes down.  

• Love 11
15 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

If I read all these posts correctly, it means to me that someone on the show did a terrible job when the tried to explain the use of the nullifier when they wrote:

"You will play this in secret when you vote at Tribal Council. Write the name of the person you want to block from using an idol. If an idol is played for them, this advantage will nullify the idol."

This is very confusing and the language used is terrible. It says "write the name of the person you want to block from using an idol". But that seems to only apply when someone is using the idol to protect themself. The second part reads "If an idol is played for them, this advantage will nullify the idol.". The person "using an idol" is the one who plays it. But "If an idol is played for them" refers to when someone plays an idol to protect someone else. In that case it does not protect the person who plays it. It protects the person they name as the one to be protected.

I think it is clear enough.  You write down a name.  If that person has an idol played for them (either by themselves or another) the idol will be nullified and votes against that person will count.  IOW, it doesn't matter who the owner of the idol is, only who it is used to protect.  

7 hours ago, Jextella said:

I love Nick.  I like all the castaways this season.  Even Natalie.

I don't "like" them all, but I think I have either liked or enjoyed all of them.  The villains have been very entertaining ones, the type you want voted out, but know you will miss when they are gone. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

And what did Allison spit out of her mouth just then while they were sitting around in the dark after tribal? 

I forgot about that. So hilarious! There were so many great moments in this ep.

13 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Nick found the clue and the advantage.

I actually think it was Davie who found the clue, but then he became the distraction to let Carl and Nick go look for the actual advantage.

12 hours ago, violet and green said:

Oh, they do when it's an 'old' woman.

Nah, people still don't just come out and say "I hate old women." They try to mask it so people won't see they're sexist lol.

11 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Angelina is annoying but she has not been cruel to anyone or even all that rude.

The jacket thing with Lyrsa was pretty cruel. Getting Natalie to do her dirty work doesn't change that imo.

I love Angelina though. I love villains that aren't like truly horrible people and/or agonizingly annoying. Angelina is the perfect villain character imo. Dan is as well. The show makes it fun to root for them to get their's, but at the same time I still kinda want them around forever because they provide me with so much entertainment.

• Love 7
On 11/15/2018 at 12:53 AM, alegtostandon said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Also envisioned her begging for unused idols as someone left.  

I really, really hope she's next to go...please, please, please!?

<snip>

I had a dream last night where I got voted off and as I was walking over to Jeff, I pulled a fake HII out of my pocket and gave it to Angelina.

I enjoyed thinking about her reaction if she felt she was in danger and smugly pulled out her (fake) HII and then told Jeff, "I'm going to play this idol for me - for Angelina. I'm Angelina, Jeff."

I know it would be very nasty for me to play such a dirty trick on her. But I really think she has been just asking for something like that and it would be wonderful to capture her reaction to Jeff telling her, "This is NOT a valid HII". Sorry Angelina.

I would take that video and put it into a loop and make it my new screen saver.

On 11/15/2018 at 10:18 AM, ProfCrash said:

The Producers are not going to hide a showmance, hell we have Dan and Kara. So I suspect that there wasn't a showmance and Jeremy was blowing something up that wasn't there.

Not so.  Sea Bass and Jenna wete never shown

• Love 5
16 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

I agree. The quote means it blocks who ever would benefit from the immunity--not block the person playing it (regardless of who they tried to benefit). For the nullifer to mean "this nullifies an idol (regardless of who it is meant to protect) but based on who plays it" the wording should be "If an idol is played BY them". The key phrase if "played for them". It's bad wording though -because "block from using an idol" makes it sound like "block the person playing"--but the next sentence says "for them"--someone should have spent more time on that wording--and I would hope they made the meaning clear off screen to Carl; otherwise he could mis-use it due to their bad drafting.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I don't think Christian is all that Survivor savy. I think he understands what he is suppose to do but not the complexities of making that happen. He gets that he needs to be social and work with people but he doesn't understand how to do that without putting a huge target on his back. He has allowed his desire to be a part of the cool club overwhelm his understanding of the game.  That said, he has never been shy about being willing to throw alliance mates and friends under the bus. Christian was right there with Nick in sacrificing Gabby after the Jessica vote and just voted for his friend, John.

I agree that he voted out John who he was all bro friends with.  But I think his devotion/whatever it is to Gabby is blinding him.  He seems to feel this desire to protect poor defenseless weepy Gabby at all costs.  Mike came to him with a concern about Gabby and he dismissed it with a "jiggawhat?!?!?"  And then seemed incredulous during his confessional when he was explaining to the camera that Mike has concerns about Gabby, then he did this dramatic pause and said "that's an interesting thing to say".

His refusal to even listen to Mike led to Mike abandoning the Secret Six.  People already have concerns about him to the point where they have already said they don't want to be regretting not voting him out while they could.

At one point in an earlier episode I believe he said something about how the control of the game was up for grabs and he was going to take it.  I feel like he has completely given up control.  The Davids are now led by Nick and Davie and they drove that plan and that vote to get out John.  If Christian had more of a say I bet he would have insisted on another target, since he was friendly with John and probably could have worked a suballiance of some sort.  Christian is no longer calling the shots.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, blackwing said:

The Davids are now led by Nick and Davie and they drove that plan and that vote to get out John.

Editing is everything.  Christian voted for John; to me, that's a clear indication that he talked plenty to Nick and Davie, and viewers at home can't know the substance of those conversations.

The compelling show narrative hinged on presenting Christian as a lamb saved from slaughter.  And, of course, the lamb is less piteous if the lamb is shown plotting to take down the ram.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Nah, people still don't just come out and say "I hate old women." They try to mask it so people won't see they're sexist lol.

Well, there was one young macho dude who said to the camera, "We're voting out the sixty year old woman -- because she's a sixty year old woman."  Naturally, I don't remember the season, the guy's name, or the woman's name, but I really think it happened.

• Love 3

Good stuff blackwing!  I agree

So was no one else hoping and praying that Dan would play his second idol?  And Nick would play his blocker and then another secret idol would pop up and then a shocker nullifier!  

Granted now there is more for future episodes but I thought it would be fun to watch a complete string of Well take that!:throwdowns to a total reset of all idols and advantages would have been fun.

I kinda feel strange for Davie considering that not only did he play his idol for someone else which is ok  but someone who was in an alliance that didnt include him.  He didnt know but if it were me and I found out later Id feel stupid and feeling stupid makes me feel angry too.  

Plus he doesnt have the blocker

I hate shared idols or advantages.  Its so awkward

Seems like it should be his by "work" but he didnt "find" it and its not in his possession.

Carl has pretty much sucked at challenges and while some of his comments seem savvy enough he also seems llike a sourpuss.  Just not a fan

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 1

I've been wondering about Alec's motive in tipping Nick off about Christian's being the target (jury management? friendship?). Whichever, he undoubtedly never expected Nick & the Davids to use the info so effectively & for things to play out as they did. Where does he go from here? The Goliaths have to know that somebody tipped off the Davids, & they'll be on the hunt. If I were Alec I'd be feeling pretty nervous, or maybe pretty powerful, at least for the next vote. With the original Goliaths up only 6-5, whatever he decides to do next could turn the tables. Of course, presumably he doesn't know about the steal-a-vote & the idol nullifier still out there.

Good times ahead! A few votes ago, who ever would have thought? And Nick & Davie are now two of my dream final three.

• Love 7

Loved this episode. Seems like almost everyone had a quote that was pertinent or completely opposite of the real situation. I think Elizabeth was bracing herself with going back to Ponderosa with Angelina. John seems like he'd be way more fun to hang with.

I don't get the over-abundance of pizza? Aren't their stomachs shrunk so even a couple of pieces would be enough for one sitting? Are the PTB trying to make people barf? Cuz I love watching that on television.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, marys1000 said:

Not so.  Sea Bass and Jenna wete never shown

They showed them. Jenna commented on Sea Bass's smelly hair and other similar stupidity. It is not clear how tight the two were while playing but there were plenty of small scenes involving the two of them. 

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I agree that he voted out John who he was all bro friends with.  But I think his devotion/whatever it is to Gabby is blinding him.  He seems to feel this desire to protect poor defenseless weepy Gabby at all costs.  Mike came to him with a concern about Gabby and he dismissed it with a "jiggawhat?!?!?"  And then seemed incredulous during his confessional when he was explaining to the camera that Mike has concerns about Gabby, then he did this dramatic pause and said "that's an interesting thing to say".

His refusal to even listen to Mike led to Mike abandoning the Secret Six.  People already have concerns about him to the point where they have already said they don't want to be regretting not voting him out while they could.

At one point in an earlier episode I believe he said something about how the control of the game was up for grabs and he was going to take it.  I feel like he has completely given up control.  The Davids are now led by Nick and Davie and they drove that plan and that vote to get out John.  If Christian had more of a say I bet he would have insisted on another target, since he was friendly with John and probably could have worked a suballiance of some sort.  Christian is no longer calling the shots.

Christian threw Gabby under the bus after Jessica's ouster. Nick and Christian were both willing to blame Gabby for that vote. Christian will write down Gabby's name if he needs to. I suspect that he will try to prevent that from happening for as long as possible but he will give her up.

Christian could be playing a dangerous game. It almost reminds me of the Mom archetype, the person that everyone likes and shares something with only to feel betrayed when that person votes them out.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

They showed them. Jenna commented on Sea Bass's smelly hair and other similar stupidity. It is not clear how tight the two were while playing but there were plenty of small scenes involving the two of them. 

Christian threw Gabby under the bus after Jessica's ouster. Nick and Christian were both willing to blame Gabby for that vote. Christian will write down Gabby's name if he needs to. I suspect that he will try to prevent that from happening for as long as possible but he will give her up.

Christian could be playing a dangerous game. It almost reminds me of the Mom archetype, the person that everyone likes and shares something with only to feel betrayed when that person votes them out.

By all social media evidence deabass amd jemma were togetjer but it was not show as such

Yes they were shown talking....like everyone

Good point about the mom/social game pitfall

• Love 2