Type keyword(s) to search

FYI: This Just In: Murphy Brown in the Media

I was reading on SpoilerTV that the announcement about the cancellation has been pulled from...TV Guide, I want to say (I think that's who initially made the announcement), and I haven't read any official mention of the cancellation elsewhere (on TV Line and the like) yet, so I dunno if that news was just leaked too early or if it's not officially confirmed or what. 

But yeah, if it is true, then boo :(. 

• Love 2

Supposedly TV Guide is owned by CBS so they should know?  Maybe?  But it was news clearly released before ready.

I just want Jake McDorman it get in a show that lasts.

• Love 5
(edited)
21 hours ago, ombelico said:

Exactly. Wouldn't the show runner know the news before the tv sites? They must really hate Murphy Brown to keep on spinning this bs.

And Diane English is still onto them.

Also came across this bit via Buffalo News:

Buffalo native and “Murphy Brown” creator Diane English should find out very soon whether the reboot of the series will get a second season from CBS. All the broadcast networks are announcing their fall and mid-season schedules next week in New York City in the annual event called the Upfronts.

Source:   https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/09/the-end-of-the-glor-era-comes-friday/

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 3
(edited)

I don't believe this bs at this point. The upfronts aren't even until next week. So until then... I take any of this 'news' as fake news. Until we hear something from Diane English herself along with CBS.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 1
(edited)

Just heard from the Murphy Brown Podcast... it's official. Dammit. CBS is dead to me.  They've lost a loyal viewer. Shame on them. I don't care about any of their shows (Jeopardy aside).

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
11 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Dammit. CBS is dead to me.  They've lost a loyal viewer. Shame on them.

Right there with you. I remember a time when I only watched network shows.  No more, no more.  CBS - done.

• Love 3
(edited)

I watch two other shows on CBS-"Criminal Minds" and Stephen Colbert's show. And "Criminal Minds" will be wrapping up after their next season. So eventually I'll be watching just one thing on that network :p. Woo. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I watch two other shows on CBS-"Criminal Minds" and Stephen Colbert's show. And "Criminal Minds" will be wrapping up after their next season. So eventually I'll be watching just one thing on that network :p. Woo. 

That's kind of me. I watch Blue Bloods on it sometimes and Jeopardy.

• Love 2

I'd have happily watched another season - no, this revival season was nowhere near as good as the show in its prime, but it was still enjoyable, so I was happy every week - but I'm not mad at a network for declining to order another season of a show that consistently under-performed in the ratings.  They gave it a whirl, it largely didn't click with the audience for various reasons, so we're left with just that original 13-episode order.  I can't get fired up about that.

The initial report a few days ago reminded me I never tracked down the finale that I hadn't been home to watch, so I watched that online.  It was like the rest of the season - a little muted and uneven, but with terrific relationships and some great moments and jokes.  With it fresh in my mind, Murphy, Avery, and that adorable dog are a fine final image for me.

• Love 13

Not a surprise, and I am still sorry at some of the clumsy attempts at getting Trump's attention that made up the early episodes, but I wish they'd given another brief season. The cast was still in good form, seeing John Laroquette and Tyne Daly on my TV again was wonderful, and Jake McDorman was just perfect as Avery. He and Candice Bergen worked so well together and I wanted to see more. 

This was not a bad revival by any means - they did nothing to shame themselves or destroy the original show. So I'm just going to say goodbye and remember the good moments. 

• Love 16

Well, this just sucks especially right after hearing today that another show I watch has been canceled and knowing that at least 3 others I watch are still waiting to hear on their fate.  I have a sinking feeling this is going to be happening a lot with shows I watch, and it NEVER used to happen.  It seems to have nothing to do with ratings, either.  Really sucks.  At this rate I'll have to take up a new hobby.

• Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Well, this just sucks especially right after hearing today that another show I watch has been canceled and knowing that at least 3 others I watch are still waiting to hear on their fate.  I have a sinking feeling this is going to be happening a lot with shows I watch, and it NEVER used to happen.  It seems to have nothing to do with ratings, either.  Really sucks.  At this rate I'll have to take up a new hobby.

Which ones? Yep and that kind of thing sucks. I hate when networks pull this kind of stunt.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 2
Just now, AntiBeeSpray said:

Which ones? Yep and that kind of thing sucks. I hate when networks pull this kind of thing.

"The Cool Kids" and "The Kids are Alright" also got the axe today.  I'm still waiting to find out about "The Orville" and "American Housewife".

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

"The Cool Kids" and "The Kids are Alright" also got the axe today.  I'm still waiting to find out about "The Orville" and "American Housewife".

Ah. Well that's a bummer. Hope it works out for the other shows. I'm tired of networks being so quick on the draw these days. They seem to serve their corporate masters/advertisers far more these days than the audience.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Hopefully you get some good news on those other shows, @Yeah No

16 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Ah. Well that's a bummer. Hope it works out for the other shows. I'm tired of networks being so quick on the draw these days. They seem to serve their corporate masters/advertisers far more these days than the audience.

I just found out that "American Housewife" has been renewed, so at least one was so far.  I didn't mention "Murphy Brown" - that got canceled today too.  I'm also waiting to hear on  "Food Network Star".  That's been on so long it would feel wrong not to have it come back.  Kind of like I'm going to feel about "Big Bang Theory" even though that had a very long run and its ending was long foretold.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Not a surprise, and I am still sorry at some of the clumsy attempts at getting Trump's attention that made up the early episodes, but I wish they'd given another brief season. The cast was still in good form, seeing John Laroquette and Tyne Daly on my TV again was wonderful, and Jake McDorman was just perfect as Avery. He and Candice Bergen worked so well together and I wanted to see more. 

This was not a bad revival by any means - they did nothing to shame themselves or destroy the original show. So I'm just going to say goodbye and remember the good moments. 

I'm not surprised either.

I knew it was coming. It's not often a show's kept on the bubble this long and survives. Still hurts, though.

I mean, sure, it was nowhere near as good as the show was at its height, but the relationship between Murphy and Avery was probably the best thing going on television this past season, and it's a shame it won't continue.

I've still got the lion's share of the season sitting on my DVR right now. Think I'm gonna marathon them this afternoon, and commiserate.

• Love 9
(edited)

Between this and The Kids Are Alright being cancelled, I will have two less shows to watch in prime time next season (I still have The Conners, though!).

But really, none of us were ever sure there would be anything beyond this season. It's clear the cast and crew were just happy to be together again, no matter how long it lasted, and knew to enjoy it and hold on to it, and that's more or less what I tried to do, too. I remember watching the New Years episode last December, thinking that it certainly FELT like a series finale. I don't really feel like I've been cheated of a resolution to anything here. I'm disappointed, but only because we won't see any of them again, not because it was a bad ending. It wasn't. It was just right. 🙂 

ETA: Now if ONLY we could get the rest of the original series on DVD, or at LEAST on a streaming platform somewhere!

Edited by UYI
  • Love 7
(edited)
34 minutes ago, UYI said:

Between this and The Kids Are Alright being cancelled, I will have two less shows to watch in prime time next season (I still have The Conners, though!).

But really, none of us were ever sure there would be anything beyond this season. It's clear the cast and crew were just happy to be together again, no matter how long it lasted, and knew to enjoy it and hold on to it, and that's more or less what I tried to do, too. I remember watching the New Years last episode last December, thinking that it certainly FELT like a series finale. I don't really feel like I've been cheated of a resolution to anything here. I'm disappointed, but only because we won't see any of them again, not because it was a bad ending. It wasn't. It was just right. 🙂 

Yep. Not surprised that they did this for what it's worth either.

It would have to be on dvd too, as not everyone is interested in streaming sites.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, UYI said:

Now if ONLY we could get the rest of the original series on DVD

That's never going to happen without replacement music, and this is a show I have no interest in watching with replacement music.  The music was a character in its own right, and having less of it in the revival was noticeable. 

1 hour ago, UYI said:

But really, none of us were ever sure there would be anything beyond this season. It's clear the cast and crew were just happy to be together again, no matter how long it lasted, and knew to enjoy it and hold on to it, and that's more or less what I tried to do, too. I remember watching the New Years episode last December, thinking that it certainly FELT like a series finale. I don't really feel like I've been cheated of a resolution to anything here. I'm disappointed, but only because we won't see any of them again, not because it was a bad ending. It wasn't. It was just right. 🙂 

Exactly - the original order was for a 13-episode limited run.  Cancellation isn't even really the right word.  If it had done better in the ratings, CBS would have made an offer for another such season - and I'm sure everyone would have signed up (Charles Kimbrough for limited appearances just as in this season) - but that's not what happened.  The revival could have continued, but was also self contained, so we got a nice little arc to spend with old friends and meet some new ones.  No cliffhanger that will never be resolved, no WTF?! character death or offensive and/or implausible event that sours the entire experience.  I'm content.

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's never going to happen without replacement music, and this is a show I have no interest in watching with replacement music.  The music was a character in its own right, and having less of it in the revival was noticeable. 

I know, but it's such a shame. It took so long for The Wonder Years to be released because of the music too, but eventually it worked because they were able to secure enough of it (including the theme song, which IMO was key because the sound-alike used on Netflix was NOT the same) that, while I can think of at least TWO songs that were replaced that I miss, enough of it was the same that it wound up being worth the wait. 

The optimist in me wants to think that will happen with this show someday, even though it probably won't. I'll hanging on to my copy of the first season VERY tightly either way. 😞 

• Love 3
(edited)
9 minutes ago, UYI said:

The optimist in me wants to think that will happen with this show someday, even though it probably won't. I'll hanging on to my copy of the first season VERY tightly either way. 😞 

Yeah, I still pull mine out for a season one rewatch every couple of years.  But the fact season one - released when the show was not in syndication, so DVD was the only way to watch it at the time - didn't sell well enough to justify the release of subsequent seasons (there's a reason they did season one as a trial balloon, rather than a full series boxed set) meant something would need to happen to change that.  The revival presented that opportunity; had it been a hit, the renewed interest may have led to at least another trial balloon.  But with that having under-performed as well, it means there isn't likely to be any future event that changes things and suddenly makes a DVD release profitable.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Just like Northern Exposure - the music was like another cast member.  Just not the same without it or with changes.

4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, I still pull mine out for a season one rewatch every couple of years.  But the fact season one - released when the show was not in syndication, so DVD was the only way to watch it at the time - didn't sell well enough to justify the release of subsequent seasons (there's a reason they did season one as a trial balloon, rather than a full series boxed set) meant something would need to happen to change that.  The revival presented that opportunity; had it been a hit, the renewed interest may have led to at least another trial balloon.  But with that having under-performed as well, it means there isn't likely to be any future event that changes things and suddenly makes a DVD release profitable.

Speaking of which, just prior to the revival's premiere, a journalist at the pop culture site the Ringer wrote about watching the original show again...which included finding an unnamed source to supply her with all 10 seasons of the original series, basically going into the Warner Bros. vault just for her. Needless to say, I am VERY jealous of her! 😄

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/9/12/17849352/murphy-brown-original-revisited

• Love 1
15 hours ago, UYI said:

ETA: Now if ONLY we could get the rest of the original series on DVD, or at LEAST on a streaming platform somewhere!

YES I need this show and Designing Women to be available for steaming ASAP! 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

YES I need this show and Designing Women to be available for steaming ASAP! 

The entire series of DW is actually already on DVD, whereas MB only has the first season out, so the former is more easily available, but I still agree. 🙂 

• Love 2

just read Murphy Brown was cancelled. So sad to hear it. I know it didn't catch fire like the 1st time around, but if they could renew Will and Grace, and keep the creaky Modern Family going, you'd think we could get one more season of Murphy. Ah, well, at least we got to see how Avery turns out -a chip off the old block.

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, willowk said:

just read Murphy Brown was cancelled. So sad to hear it. I know it didn't catch fire like the 1st time around, but if they could renew Will and Grace, and keep the creaky Modern Family going, you'd think we could get one more season of Murphy. Ah, well, at least we got to see how Avery turns out -a chip off the old block.

Or the God-Awful "Last Man Standing", which made some horrible actor switches, and did a "Cousin Oliver" with a foreign exchange student...…  I never liked Home Improvement, so this show wasn't for me, but my husband watches it, and it's gone on about 3 seasons past it's prime (not counting the one that just ended).

• Love 5
1 hour ago, langford peel said:

I was only able to stand watching one episode but I thought that this was the worst show on television bar none.

it is really no surprise that it was canceled. 

Which one did you see? Not that it matters, since you seem to be so sure that the whole thing was awful. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, langford peel said:

I was only able to stand watching one episode but I thought that this was the worst show on television bar none.

Wow, way to make a judgment.  And a whole lot of hate for something you spent, what, 22 minutes watching?

• Love 11

I think it was called “Beat the Press.”

It was really bad. Something out of a high school production. 

No that insults high schoolers. 

But I must admit Ms. English’s reputed talent has always s escaped me.

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Or the God-Awful "Last Man Standing", which made some horrible actor switches, and did a "Cousin Oliver" with a foreign exchange student...…  I never liked Home Improvement, so this show wasn't for me, but my husband watches it, and it's gone on about 3 seasons past it's prime (not counting the one that just ended).

Yikes you're right, its been renewed. Also Fresh off the Boat, not a terrible show, but really basic and not funny. I was an opportunistic watcher for a bit given its time slot and it was just meh.