Type keyword(s) to search

FYI: This Just In: Murphy Brown in the Media

Nice pic of Jake & Candice. She looks extra pretty in that one. 

I hate tv between thanksgiving & xmas. I'm a tv junkie & during this season there are way too many holiday specials & reruns. Urg what's a girl to do ?

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, rhys said:

I hate tv between thanksgiving & xmas. I'm a tv junkie & during this season there are way too many holiday specials & reruns. Urg what's a girl to do ?

Watch reruns of Law & Order on Sundance and WE and Expedition Unknown on Discovery, Discovery Science and the Travel Channels. Dip into Mysteries of the Abandoned now and then too.

• Love 3
On 11/29/2018 at 10:23 AM, magicdog said:

In theory Diane English would be the first to know if the show was cancelled.  It could be a matter of semantics since the show was only set for 13 episodes for its return, and not formally renewed or perhaps will return as a mid season replacement next year.  However, the Hollywood Reporter has this article that says the demos are too low for the 18-49-ers.  Not good, but doesn't necessarily preclude it from returning.

It will depend on the 18-49 ratings for the other CBS sitcoms.  The timeslot replacement "FAM" sounds like a dud, though Thursday night viewing will spike once football ends and the series finale hoopla for TBBT skyrockets.  Since 2019 isn't an election year (and doesnt seem to be an impeachment year either), the timing may be off for another season.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 2

for me, once this season of Murphy Brown ends, that will be it for me except for the Big Bang Theory. I've grown tired already of Young Sheldon and dislike Mom intensely, so unless this is back next year, and once BBT ends, that will be about the end of CBS for me. I've already quit NBC, only watch DWTS on ABC and refuse to watch anything on FOX. If H&I ends their Start Trek reruns and NYPD Blue, I'll only be watching Discovery & it's substations.

• Love 4

Nice interview with Dodani. I saw his stand up on Colbert's show and liked it. And it's cool that he's got such a supportive family, and is as open as he is. If he can inspire and influence other LGBTQ people, wonderful :). 

Murphy Brown is itself a generational show. It originally aired from 1988 to 1998, mostly before Dodani was born.

That made me feel old :p.

• Love 4
On 11/28/2018 at 6:32 PM, langford peel said:

I read where the it was canceled but that must of been fake news.

You can’t trust anything you read in the mainstream media.

I guess we will see. 

I can go back to not watching like most of America. 

If you don't watch it, why do you care if it's canceled? There are many shows I don't watch, and even some that make me cringe, but I don't wish that the people involved with them lose their employment.

• Love 22

I was bored and looking at some of the old cast photos...

Here's the one I call "Jim where is your hand going??"

(I love Candice Bergen's jacket)

tumblr_phuu9tseH91qg7py2_1280.jpg

Here's the one that mostly makes me laugh because I feel like a producer was saying, "We know this show's been on a while...let's show 'em how fresh we still are by having everyone wear jeans and bad-ass jackets...and flannel shirts!"

(Joe Regalbuto makes this one for me)

tumblr_phuu9r81TB1qg7py2_540.jpg

Then there's this one, where Grant Shaud looks about 16. In another era Grant could have been Timothee Chalamet. 

tumblr_phuu9s049Q1qg7py2_540.jpg

And this new one, which I'd never really looked at before, and which seems to have been taken in the Red Room! If the show gets another season that Murphy Brown/On the Air crossover is a lock.

tumblr_phuu9qu8Nt1qg7py2_540.jpg

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 15
On 12/2/2018 at 5:14 AM, Pete Martell said:

I was bored and looking at some of the old cast photos...

Here's the one I call "Jim where is your hand going??"

(I love Candice Bergen's jacket)

tumblr_phuu9tseH91qg7py2_1280.jpg

Here's the one that mostly makes me laugh because I feel like a producer was saying, "We know this show's been on a while...let's show 'em how fresh we still are by having everyone wear jeans and bad-ass jackets...and flannel shirts!"

(Joe Regalbuto makes this one for me)

tumblr_phuu9r81TB1qg7py2_540.jpg

Then there's this one, where Grant Shaud looks about 16. In another era Grant could have been Timothee Chalamet. 

tumblr_phuu9s049Q1qg7py2_540.jpg

And this new one, which I'd never really looked at before, and which seems to have been taken in the Red Room! If the show gets another season that Murphy Brown/On the Air crossover is a lock.

tumblr_phuu9qu8Nt1qg7py2_540.jpg

Weird, Robert Pastorelli almost looks like he was photoshopped into those pictures. The jeans one is kind of awful, in an amusing way.

• Love 5

Guess who got a Golden Globe Nomination:  

COMEDY OR MUSICAL SERIES ACTRESS (previous winner: Rachel Brosnahan)
Kristen Bell, The Good Place
Candice Bergen, Murphy Brown
Alison Brie, GLOW
Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Debra Messing, Will & Grace

• Love 17
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

Guess who got a Golden Globe Nomination:  

COMEDY OR MUSICAL SERIES ACTRESS (previous winner: Rachel Brosnahan)
Kristen Bell, The Good Place
Candice Bergen, Murphy Brown
Alison Brie, GLOW
Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Debra Messing, Will & Grace

Pretty low standards, judging by this list.  Her performance on this piece of **** is so not worthy of an award.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Tanichka said:

Pretty low standards, judging by this list.  Her performance on this piece of **** is so not worthy of an award.

I'm glad that she was nominated, and I think everyone on the list is great. 

• Love 18

I listened.  It was good and fun.  Paula Poundstone asked Candice a sincere question about whether she was ever viewed as Charlie McCarthy's sister.  The audience laughed at that.  I guess the audience was mostly too young to remember that Edgar Bergen, father of Candice, was an insanely popular ventriloquist.  Charlie was considered a Bergen "son" by many.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

I listened.  It was good and fun.  Paula Poundstone asked Candice a sincere question about whether she was ever viewed as Charlie McCarthy's sister.  The audience laughed at that.  I guess the audience was mostly too young to remember that Edgar Bergen, father of Candice, was an insanely popular ventriloquist.  Charlie was considered a Bergen "son" by many.

I’m old enough to know about Edgar & Candice Bergen & Charlie McCarthy. Although, as I remember, Candice had a rather contentious “relationship” with Charlie growing up (she apparently hated him, I remember hearing & reading).

Even so, they were referred to as “siblings” by people (which Candice apparently didn’t like). So I think that might be at least partly where Murphy referring to Avery & 256/Benny as “siblings” in the ep came from.

However, in my family (& a lot of families, I’m fairly certain) when I was growing up, we had 4 furry members who were with us longterm—up to 3 at 1 time; the 4th after the first 3 passed (we also had a couple who, unfortunately, weren’t manageable with our family life at the time & were returned to the person/place we got them from)—& we referred to them as if they were “siblings”, & other human type relatives (“son”, “daughter”, etc.), just as Murphy did.

Especially after Avery (it looks like) lost his job at Wolf after refusing to read the politically oriented(?) statement written by the network that was apparently required on-air reading for all show anchors/hosts, & Murphy told the dog not to take a dump in Avery’s room before he came home because Avery (probably) wouldn’t be in a good mood when he got home from the location where he was doing his show that day/night & he’d need support from her & the dog. Murphy may not have specifically referred to Avery & the dog as “siblings” in that scene, but the idea that’s how she meant them to be was there (in my opinion). 

• Love 3

I can see why someone wouldn't care for having their father's wooden dummy referred to as their sibling. As much as Edgar Bergen was skilled at making Charlie McCarthy seem human (see for example YOU CAN'T CHEAT AN HONEST MAN, the movie Bergen made with WC Fields and that included Charlie and several of Bergen's other characters), it's a little devaluing for a human child.

• Love 5
On 12/11/2018 at 4:20 AM, wendyg said:

I can see why someone wouldn't care for having their father's wooden dummy referred to as their sibling. As much as Edgar Bergen was skilled at making Charlie McCarthy seem human (see for example YOU CAN'T CHEAT AN HONEST MAN, the movie Bergen made with WC Fields and that included Charlie and several of Bergen's other characters), it's a little devaluing for a human child.

Quite a bit more than that:

https://www.womansday.com/life/real-women/news/a50235/candice-bergen-reveals-twisted-details-about-relationship-with-her-father/

It's pretty hard to have your dad leave money to a puppet and nothing (!) to you, his human daughter.  Edgar Bergen was a weird guy.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Quite a bit more than that:

https://www.womansday.com/life/real-women/news/a50235/candice-bergen-reveals-twisted-details-about-relationship-with-her-father/

It's pretty hard to have your dad leave money to a puppet and nothing (!) to you, his human daughter.  Edgar Bergen was a weird guy.

She also wrote a much-earlier autobiography, "Knock Wood."  She went into further detail on the contentious relationship she had with her wooden brother. 

On a separate note, it still gives me chills that she was dating the person (Doris Day's son) who, at the time of the Tate/LoBianco murders, owned the home where the murders took place.  It's entirely possible that Candice could have been one of the people at that home, on that horrible night.

• Love 4

Diane English‏Verified account @realmurphybrown

Diane English Retweeted CBS Tweet

Take that, Fake Fox News!

https://twitter.com/realmurphybrown/status/1076466227625820160

About this:

CBS Tweet‏Verified account @CBSTweet

#CBSRatingsNotes: The season finale of #MurphyBrown finished on top in viewers and all key demos last night against mostly original competition on all broadcast networks, driving #CBS to a nightly win.

https://twitter.com/CBSTweet/status/1076148349055746049

• Love 18

I'm sorry to hear it but not surprised.  I enjoyed it and thought it was getting into a swing but they cancel things so quickly these days.  Shows like Northern Exposure and The West Wing (both award winning shows) would not have made it today because there is such a penchant for expecting huge ratings right away.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, motroro said:

CBS has officially stated that a 12th season of MB is not in the works at this time.  Not sure what that means....but that sure sounds more solid than Diane English's prayers that it isn't.

Do you have a link? I've not seen anything from CBS. Then again, I don't go looking for stuff like this--swamped with work. And any hits I get are from November.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Do you have a link? I've not seen anything from CBS. Then again, I don't go looking for stuff like this--swamped with work. And any hits I get are from November.

Same here. 

If I had to venture a guess though, it sounds similar to what she said about the show and whether or not it'll be canceled, that we won't hear anything until May. 

• Love 2
On 12/28/2018 at 5:33 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

This, from The Hollywood Reporter (aka THR), which is also linked in the Media thread, may be where people are getting that Murphy won’t be coming back. I, myself, am even getting confused about whether or not it has a chance at returning; especially based on the wording of the headline. We know Murphy & the other show mentioned are ending their current runs. But I don’t know if it’s clear, or not, that there won’t be anymore (of either show) coming later/next season. I think Diane English may be right, & we may not actually know the show’s official fate until CBS announces the 2019-2020 (wow... already) fall schedule in May, if things don’t leak earlier.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

This, from The Hollywood Reporter (aka THR), which is also linked in the Media thread, may be where people are getting that Murphy won’t be coming back. I, myself, am even getting confused about whether or not it has a chance at returning; especially based on the wording of the headline. We know Murphy & the other show mentioned are ending their current runs. But I don’t know if it’s clear, or not, that there won’t be anymore (of either show) coming later/next season. I think Diane English may be right, & we may not actually know the show’s official fate until CBS announces the 2019-2020 (wow... already) fall schedule in May, if things don’t leak earlier.

And again, like I and others have stated, that article is from November, and one of the sites Diane English called out for spreading misinformation.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And again, like I and others have stated, that article is from November, and one of the sites Diane English called out for spreading misinformation.

Yep.

Just found the tweets that both she and the Murphy Brown Podcast called that kind of thing out.

The Murphy Brown Podcast‏ @murphybrownpod

.@THR asked @realmurphybrown about the false reports @MurphyBrownCBS has been canceled. RT & SHARE to those who tell you #MurphyBrown is canceled. #renewMurphyBrown decisions have not been made yet! Let @CBS know you want #Season12 #candicebergen #revival #renew

https://twitter.com/murphybrownpod/status/1076152578143125505

Loved how she called both magazines/publications out.

Diane English‏Verified account @realmurphybrown

Diane English Retweeted The Murphy Brown Podcast

Interestingly, it was THR that wrote the misleading headline, as did Entertainment Weekly.

https://twitter.com/realmurphybrown/status/1076224498721083393

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I don't believe she indicated that at all.  She's simply saying that the decision has not yet been made.  By CBS.

Exactly. And she's the one who's been in touch with them, since she works for them.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
7 minutes ago, motroro said:

It's either on or off.  Right now, it's not on.

Well, since CBS hasn't announced a 2019-2020 line up then none of the current shows is "on" including blockbusters like NCIS.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, motroro said:

It's either on or off.  Right now, it's not on.

19 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, since CBS hasn't announced a 2019-2020 line up then none of the current shows is "on" including blockbusters like NCIS.

It’s not even that. It’s not on because this show completed its season. There aren’t any new episodes still unaired nor is it on hiatus.

• Love 3

I admit this show started off slow but I fell in love with Murphy Brown all over again.    I love how they are able to acknowledge the death of some of the cast members, love seeing that Murphy's house still looks the same when Eldin got through painting.  Love her and Avery together.

There are only 3 shows I watch on CBS and this is one of them.  If CBS cancels it and we know The Big Bang is in its last season, I will be down to just 1.

• Love 8

While Bergen was nominated for a GG, I haven't read a single story predicting winners that says anything about her at all. 

Why wouldn't the foreign press fawn over this show like the domestic media has?  I don't think anyone else on the show was nominated nor was the show itself.

Wha!!!!!

On 1/4/2019 at 1:16 PM, motroro said:

While Bergen was nominated for a GG, I haven't read a single story predicting winners that says anything about her at all. 

Why wouldn't the foreign press fawn over this show like the domestic media has?  I don't think anyone else on the show was nominated nor was the show itself.

Wha!!!!!

Because everyone is too busy fawning over that Mrs. Maisel show on Amazon. Seems to be the one that gets all the wins, especially since Veep took a year off due to JLD's breast cancer diagnosis. (disclosure: I love Veep. I've never watched Maisel).

I certainly hope that CBS considers another season. Love, loved, loved it.  And it wasn't exactly given the best chance at success to begin with. Thursday nights in the Fall, up against Thursday Night Football and TGIT?  It may have had a better shot if TBBT was its lead in. Instead, we have the completely annoying Young Sheldon at 8:30. I set my DVR to record the season of Murphy, because I kept forgetting to go BACK to CBS at 9:30. YS and Mom don't hold my interest enough, and I was always missing the beginning of Murphy, because I didn't realize that it was 9:30 (usually watching Maddow at that time).

Come on, CBS! DO IT!

• Love 7
On 1/11/2019 at 12:11 PM, ChicksDigScars said:

Because everyone is too busy fawning over that Mrs. Maisel show on Amazon. Seems to be the one that gets all the wins, especially since Veep took a year off due to JLD's breast cancer diagnosis. (disclosure: I love Veep. I've never watched Maisel).

I certainly hope that CBS considers another season. Love, loved, loved it.  And it wasn't exactly given the best chance at success to begin with. Thursday nights in the Fall, up against Thursday Night Football and TGIT?  It may have had a better shot if TBBT was its lead in. Instead, we have the completely annoying Young Sheldon at 8:30. I set my DVR to record the season of Murphy, because I kept forgetting to go BACK to CBS at 9:30. YS and Mom don't hold my interest enough, and I was always missing the beginning of Murphy, because I didn't realize that it was 9:30 (usually watching Maddow at that time).

Come on, CBS! DO IT!

I love Rachel Brosnahan, so I'm happy that she and her show are winning. I also hope that they renew Murphy Brown. 

• Love 3