Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: Mai ka pō mai ka ʻoia’i’o (Truth Comes from the Night)

• Start Topic

So that's it for the Adam storyline? The Yakuza banker set it all up because...? And Adam just rolls in, mean-mugs for a second and the dude folds because he doesn't want that Yakuza justice. Not the way I pictured it but entirely consistent with the MO of 5-0 to date I suppose.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dwmarch said:

So that's it for the Adam storyline? The Yakuza banker set it all up because...? And Adam just rolls in, mean-mugs for a second and the dude folds because he doesn't want that Yakuza justice. Not the way I pictured it but entirely consistent with the MO of 5-0 to date I suppose.

Because as you know criminal gangs can't get at you in the prison system. ;)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Raja said:

Because as you know criminal gangs can't get at you in the prison system. ;)

Thanks for that recap.  On the West Coast, the first five minutes were broken into with news of President Bush's (41) death, so I didn't get what happened.

Not a stellar episode, obviously one of the writers really likes comic books because they have been featured in two storylines out of 9 this season. As for the Adam situation....

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. This is based on the famous line from Adam at the nursery that they have shown several times in flashbacks, speaking to the old man "I'm going to need an alibi". About what? Was that in reference to taking the 20 million dollars, which was then stolen from his crazy CI? Or, was it in reference to something that might happen, as in getting framed for the killing of his half-sister? It could be the money laundering bonsai guy worked this out with Adam, where he would take the fall while Adam finds "the real killer", just like O.J. Plus, that gives the show a chance to show Adam as something other than a bad-luck incompetent.

If the old guy killed her to somehow protect Adam, why leave the gun at Adam's house? Plus, he seemed to like Adam and framing him for murder doesn't fit that relationship. What does he gain from killing her on a personal level? Nothing. She had not threatened him or anything else, and obviously as long as he did his job none of the organized crime would have messed with him. Honor among thieves.

If, indeed, that was the end of that plot line, it would stand as one of the worst denouements they have ever featured on the show. And, I still suspect Tani's police Captain punching bag is in on the murder. Otherwise, the writer's could have simply had Eric (Danny's nephew) test the gun (whether he is qualified to do so is completely immaterial) to give Tani the news that the gun was the half-sister's weapon of death. So, the Captain has to figure in later on, I'm guessing the Captain was involved in surveillance of either the old bonsai guy, or Adam, saw the chance to pick up an easy 20 million and then hatched the frame-up plot. He also called in the anonymous tip on the search of Adam's house. I'm also curious about the gloves that are in the kitchen drawer with the gun. Are they Adam's? If not, would not you be able to test for DNA from the inside of the glove? They are placed there to make it seem they were worn when the gun was used. Who else keeps leather gloves in a kitchen drawer?

The Captain could have placed the gun in the drawer and was simply waiting for Adam to return, and then he would have called in the tip. The fact that Tani found it and gave it to him was fortuitous, although again a stretch in plot logic that she would then trust the man who was the murderer and the frame-up person.

That's my two cents.

Otherwise, just an average episode to me, McGarrett didn't add to his body count and the only murder was not performed by law enforcement for a change. I liked Jerry getting some better material for his character, while still leaving his nerdy essence visible. Didn't like hearing Grover griping about spending so much money on his son's comic book collection. It's called "saying no", Captain Lou. Far better to offer a line about the kid working a lot of odd jobs to make money to buy them himself and Lou couldn't understand why anyone would do so, and of course his line with his comic books being worth a lot of money if he still had them. Which might make him re-think his son's choice of spending money? Then you could have Lou go crazy buying comics in the store at the end with the excuse "these might be worth a lot more in a couple of years to find my retirement".

• Love 2
9 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

H50: "Hey, kids, you really shouldn't fight crime unless you are a cop and follow the rules."

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

And then when a suspect has an actual, legit alibi you call him stupid and criticize him. 

8 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Wow big mystery they dragged on for months. Sort of like the restaurant. 

• Love 1

It feels as if they hired a script doctor who was ordered to shut down all the plots that were not working and to get the job done ASAP no matter what. And so we got rid of the restaurant and the Adam is a killer story-line (please let it be over!!!) - and I'm not complaining.

Glad Jerry gets more to do and is no longer just there for comic relief. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I find it hard to believe that there was a vigilante running around that Five 0 didn't know about and shut down in about 45 seconds. 

Probably because he wasn't killing any criminals  (as several of the recappers have pointed out, "that's" Five-O's job!!!!)

6 hours ago, GustheCat said:

McGarrett didn't add to his body count and the only murder was not performed by law enforcement for a change.

Like I said, normally their job, but, in this special episode, they need to preach how civilians shouldn't be taking the law into their own hands and letting the pros do it.

Soooooo......  I see we're using Hollywood Plot Device #147382 -- vigilante obsessed with comic books.

We have Castle (04.02), IZombie (02.09), NCIS (09.15), and Elementary (04.17), just off the top of my head.

• Love 2

Otherwise, just an average episode to me, McGarrett didn't add to his body count 

McGarret added one to his body count. He killed the guy that had killed the "superhero" - the one Eddie found. Steve then complained that he was their one lead.

• Love 1

McGarret added one to his body count. He killed the guy that had killed the "superhero" - the one Eddie found. Steve then complained that he was their one lead.

Right you are, that 15 seconds of plot happened so fast I had already forgotten. And, as usual, the victim takes a couple of rounds, never utters a sound, and dies instantly. If they wanted him alive, couldn't they have staked out the apartment and tried to take him when he left (assuming he doesn't carry his loaded machine pistol out the front door in his hand), or covered the window in the back so he wouldn't escape that way, used a flash-bang after knocking down the door, etc.? This isn't the first time McGarrett has killed their only lead, why even have that in the plot line?

Oh well, that part was more entertaining than the scene with Charlie mumbling through his lines again.

• Love 1
On 12/1/2018 at 4:06 PM, MissLucas said:

It feels as if they hired a script doctor who was ordered to shut down all the plots that were not working and to get the job done ASAP no matter what. And so we got rid of the restaurant and the Adam is a killer story-line (please let it be over!!!) - and I'm not complaining.

That is a very interesting observation and speculation!  It does actually explain why both the restaurant and "Adam is a sneaky killer" sub-plot were dispatched so abruptly.  The first during the bumper at the end of the episode, and the second at the very top of the episode.  That sort of placement and timing just screams "un-plot-related add-on, logistical clean-up."  I mean, the last I heard, they were shaping up a real Tani vs. Adam showdown.  The restaurant plot was just limping along, so I'm glad they put it (and us) out of its misery.  I suspect the writers kept it going all last season because they weren't sure if Alex O'Loughlin would continue to the next season, so the restaurant (and the radiation poisoning) were kept active as a way to wrap-up the show if it had to end.  But Alex's back therapy seems to be working, so he chose to continue with the show, so now at least the restaurant plot seems to just be in the way, and no longer amusing.

So...what other lingering and dragging sub-plots can we hope these possible script doctors might excise from the show?  Steve's radiation poisoning?  Junior's family dysfunction?  Grace's cheerleading career?  Doris?!?  (please, please, please...)

Speaking of Alex O'Loughlin's back treatments, I noticed in this last episode that he's looking better these days.  In the last couple of seasons he's been looking kind of drawn and grim, and it always appeared like his face was always screwed up and tense with pain.  Even when the plot called for Steve to be light-hearted and relaxed, Alex always looked stiff and strained, and bordering on haggard.  No easy smiles, or loose limbed body language like in the first half of the show's run.  But he seemed more relaxed and open in this last episode.  Maybe it is the longer hair length softening his look back to the first seasons combined with his back therapy helping his chronic pain?  Either way, I'm happy its happening. 

• Love 2

Was the restaurant plot ever really amusing though?

They're never going to get rid of Doris because they can trot her out everytime they need some plot and are out of ideas. Junior's family provides character depth with fairly minimal effort, so it doesn't really bother me. 

Adam is useless right now. It's laughable that he's on Five 0. I can buy Steve jumped on a helicopter and landed it on main street way before I can accept Adam as a credible team member. They should have just let him be a "businessman" who was former yakuza and is trying to go legit. Then he can be around semi regularly to provide some help. As it is now, even he is too ridiculous for this show. 

• Love 4
On December 2, 2018 at 11:46 PM, GustheCat said:

Oh well, that part was more entertaining than the scene with Charlie mumbling through his lines again

I hate to rip on a kid, but Good. Lord. With that scene. Was it that hard to find a kid who looked remotely like Caan who could deliver the occasional line believably?

I was hoping that someone here would explain why the banker Yakuza guy framed Adam, but I see that everyone is apparently as confused as I am. I think the explanation that a writer is wrapping that plot up as fast as possible is correct. I had whiplash from how fast the "who framed Adam?" mystery was set up in the recap and then solved!

On a more touchy note: anyone get a weird vibe from the scene with Adam and Tani? They're not going THERE, are they? (Hopefully it was just me and my spidey senses are wrong!)

And speaking of Adam, why did Tani take Eddie away and leave the untrained guy to cover McGarrett? I don't dislike Adam at all, but the show wants us to forget he has no actual training. 

Um, sort of like the vigilante they harped on throughout the entire episode.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

I was hoping that someone here would explain why the banker Yakuza guy framed Adam, but I see that everyone is apparently as confused as I am. I think the explanation that a writer is wrapping that plot up as fast as possible is correct. I had whiplash from how fast the "who framed Adam?" mystery was set up in the recap and then solved!

I'm still holding on to the theory of Tani's former instructor being involved. Crime 101 always starts with motive. And, no reason for the banker to want to eliminate half-sister, she would be using him as a money man and he profits. Plus, she seemed organized enough to take out a bunch of the crime bosses early in the season. SO, biggest motive is either the rest of the crime lords who don't want to be her next target, crooked cop/former instructor who took the 20 million in cash (how would you spend that anyway?) and then tries to frame Adam who would have a motive in terms of protecting himself from future harassment/not delivering the 20 million and wanting to avoid the CGI ants again.

Unless I missed it, the Yakuza bosses never explained to the nursery guy how they knew he killed her...do they have better investigators than HPD and 5-0 put together?

However, if that was truly the end of the plotline of her murder, it will stand as the worst ending of any of the plots they have ever run, including how they wrote Chin and Kono out of the series. If that is the case, the fans deserve better than this, Mr. Lenkov.

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I checked out the opening scene with CC on. Some relevant lines:

Masuda (leader guy): Noriko Noshimuri - you had her killed and attempted to frame Adam Noshimuri, did you not? ...

Kimora: Masuda-san, I was protecting your interests. Adam Noshimuri was withdrawing money that was repaying his father's debt to you.

Masuda: Some things are worth more than money. We are sometimes allies, sometimes rivals. To function as our banker, your neutrality and honor must be unquestioned. When you act against any one of us, you betray us all. 

Then was the part with the choice.

Honestly, it seems like a stretch for this guy to kill Noriko and frame Adam by planting the gun, just to supposedly protect a payment that was going to Masuda? No personal involvement at all? Also bizarre that Masuda cared more about the banker's honor than the guy's supposed effort to preserve the debt payment - to him!

I like the idea that Tani's officer was in on it, but poor writing like this just makes me think they are wrapping up the storyline in the most remotely plausible (if nonsensical) way possible.

• Love 1