Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Doc's Stoned History

Ugh, I loathe S/S so I fast forwarded through all of the history re-enactment stuff; whenever they are on it's just dumb, unfunny, never ending filler to me.  I would much rather have just stuck with Doc and George discussing history and being stoned, which I did like.

I didn't enjoy the stupidity of the bakers either.  The one brother has to take 3 steps to get out the door and the other brother won't let him out.   Sometimes the show pushes the dumbness factor a bit too much.  I thought for sure the family members were full zombies but they turned into Talkers with some brains (and really, why did our group seem surprised this was the case?  It's pretty obvious).   My other point is, one of the zombies that was shot and whose brain was used could have been a Talker, if they were given brains.  It all seems indiscriminate to me. 

So the biscuits need the magic flour and brains.  If everyone who dies is going to become a Talker, well then no one dies so where will you get brains from to keep Talkers from turning full zombie who need to be mercy-d? 

They're splitting off Murphy again???  C'mon show.  I liked that he and Warren admitted they cared about each other. 

I also really liked everything between 10K and Addy.  LOL @ Captain Hook and great teamwork.  We don't need the other Red.

I was surprised and saddened about Dante. 

• Love 8

I thought the stoned history (a play on Drunk History, I assume) was funny, particularly Lincoln showing up. There's a disturbing amount of people in this country who think he was one of the Founding Fathers, so I appreciate the show pointing out how wrong that is. And Hamilton showed up, though it was a missed opportunity for a Hamilton reference. Probably doesn't exist in this universe though, what with the apocalypse and all. I love that one of the proposed amendments was "release of information regarding alien life and technology." I was surprised they had George not know when the 19th Amendment was passed. She was in college during the start of the apocalypse, so it seems like she would know that. 

It was sad when George had to mercy Dante and his was the first burial in Newmerica. I thought they'd find him, and then have an episode about his trial.

I missed the team all being together, so I liked Addy and 10k teaming up to take out the Zs and bonding over what they lost. Warren and Murphy's goodbye was sweet; they genuinely care about each other even if they show it by being snarky. 

• Love 3

I love how the gang came together like they’d never been apart. 10K and Addy having an emotional moment and then teaming up to kick zombie ass was so good. The weapon switch was especially amazing. 

8 hours ago, phalange said:

Warren and Murphy's goodbye was sweet; they genuinely care about each other even if they show it by being snarky. 

I was amazed at just how emotional their goodbye was despite it being delivered entirely in snark. I’m going need them to bring Murphy back to the others again soon. I love the show the most when the OG crew are together wrecking sh*t and bring total pains.

• Love 8

Observations:

• Personally, I can watch Doc all day long - he’s my single favorite character, and the one to which I most relate.
  • 10K and Addy are right up there too; I love their interactions.  Truthfully, I hadn’t realized part of why I liked Sarge so much was how similar her personality and sense of humor were to Addy’s.
  • George is a helluva lot more tolerable and human when she’s stoned; usually her personality comes off WAY too heavy-handed to be enjoyable.
  • What happened to Dante was absolutely horrible, and absolutely foreseeable.  I expect the former-Zona leader of Altura (can’t remember his name) might mercy those vigilantes when he finds out about it, though.  The Voting Day explosion was his Reichstag fire, and their destruction of Dante robbed him of his patsy to parade around at a mock trial.
  • One of the most striking aspects of this episode to me was at the end of Doc and George’s protracted (and kinda dull) discussion of the Bill of Rights, when their car goes whizzing past a tacked-up Altura sign which repudiates about 2/3 of what they were just discussing - no freedom of assembly, no guns, suspension of due process, etc.
Edited by Nashville
Fixing autocorrect’s grammar fuckups
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, dippydee said:

I love how the gang came together like they’d never been apart. 10K and Addy having an emotional moment and then teaming up to kick zombie ass was so good. The weapon switch was especially amazing. 

I was amazed at just how emotional their goodbye was despite it being delivered entirely in snark. I’m going need them to bring Murphy back to the others again soon. I love the show the most when the OG crew are together wrecking sh*t and bring total pains.

I loved how they handled Murphy and Warren's goodbye.  It would have been so much easier to do an out of character schmoopy scene.  Instead they were very true to themselves, yet you could tell how much they have come to care about each other.

Dante in a barrel was all kinds of messed up but to be expected.  

• Love 2

Oh, I loved the Murphy/Warren scene. Sooo sweet and it really illustrates how far they’ve come. Prior, they may have parted without a word about feelings—just strategy. I will probably rewatch this scene for that. And, I hate to be that person and I don’t really see them like that, but I thought I detected a little heat, and I’m not mad at that. OT, can I steal Murphy’s gloves?!

I’m glad I’m not the only one who was bored by the history scenes. I just feel like if they were going to go that route, they should have gone full out Z. Make one of the fathers a zombie, put in some of our actual faves (even Doc) as stand ins, a little fan service if you will. I was on my phone during those scenes. 

I also couldn’t believe one of the gang wouldn’t have gone in to get the recipe from the mother since it was so important. Seemed like the brother turning Walker was played for laughs—at first, that really took me out of the show, but I suppose it shows how life is considered a spectrum now. Cause our group was totally unphased. It did seem in character for Warren to hype up Cookie mom like that. 

I did like our injured soldiers 10K and Addy coming together in complementary and unexpected ways too. 

• Love 4
On 11/16/2018 at 10:53 PM, phalange said:

And Hamilton showed up, though it was a missed opportunity for a Hamilton reference.

Actually, I thought the fact that Hamilton was black was a Hamilton reference, as was the way the other founding father introduced him, the way he said his name (can't remember who it was).  I know Hamilton wasn't black in the musical, but I still thought it was a reference to the diverse casting in that show.

• Love 1

Ugh, WHY is Murphy going off again? Was Keith Allan busy with something else during this season's shooting schedule? Speaking of which, Keith Allan & Kellita Smith can generate some serious chemistry when they want to. Bummed we lost Zack Ward, I've always liked him. I'm okay with Sketchy and Skeezy as long as they only show up once a season. Addy calling 10K "Lefty" and "Captain No-Hook" cracked me up.

• Love 6

Things I forgot to add to my post above:

When they showed George and Doc smoking out of the apple I'm like, if you have an apple in the apocalypse wouldn't you eat it instead of using it to smoke weed? Then all through the episode it got smaller and smaller as they ate it, haha.

I know it was so we could see "Doc's stoned history" but I thought it was weird George seemed to know nothing about the Bill of Rights, Constitution or the amendments. She was a college student when the apocalypse hit, you would think she would've learned basic American history somewhere along the way.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Jordan61 said:

I know it was so we could see "Doc's stoned history" but I thought it was weird George seemed to know nothing about the Bill of Rights, Constitution or the amendments. She was a college student when the apocalypse hit, you would think she would've learned basic American history somewhere along the way.

Liberal arts major, probably.  ;>

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Liberal arts major, probably.  ;>

Hey now, I was a liberal arts major.  ; )

Seriously though, I think I learned about the Bill of Rights, Constitution, etc. in junior high school (that's what we called it back then).

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Jordan61 said:

When they showed George and Doc smoking out of the apple I'm like, if you have an apple in the apocalypse wouldn't you eat it instead of using it to smoke weed? Then all through the episode it got smaller and smaller as they ate it, haha.

Depends on where your priorities lie, I guess :)

But really, I don't see why there should be a shortage of apples in the apocalypse.  Plenty of apple trees around, and fewer people to eat them.

3 hours ago, rmontro said:

Depends on where your priorities lie, I guess :)

But really, I don't see why there should be a shortage of apples in the apocalypse.  Plenty of apple trees around, and fewer people to eat them.

That's true. I guess I'm thinking of earlier seasons that I've been rewatching when they were on the road to California and seemed to be short on food. I'm specifically remembering one scene where all they had left was Twinkies, and Murphy ate his and then looked at 10K and said, "are you going to eat that?" 10K shoved the whole thing in his mouth, and Murphy said, "selfish." Haha. Plus the whole episode with the cannibals, yuck.

• Love 1
On 11/16/2018 at 7:53 PM, phalange said:

Hamilton showed up, though it was a missed opportunity for a Hamilton reference.

Didja miss the race of Hamilton?

On 11/18/2018 at 11:14 AM, rmontro said:

Actually, I thought the fact that Hamilton was black was a Hamilton reference, as was the way the other founding father introduced him, the way he said his name (can't remember who it was).  I know Hamilton wasn't black in the musical, but I still thought it was a reference to the diverse casting in that show.

Wasn't diverse at all.

8 hours ago, wrlord said:

Wasn't diverse at all.

Not sure what your point is here.  Hamilton cast people of white, black, Asian, and Puerto Rican descent, just off the top of my head.

It seems pretty obvious that Z Nation depicting Hamilton as black was a reference to the musical.

• Love 2

the brudders had what sounded like Irish accents.

Murphy's jacket was a reference to sons of Anarchy, which by coincidence had some appalling Irish accents, the worst i've ever heard in a tv series.

I was expecting next episode to be Dante's trial with george playing Atticus Finch but it looks like we'll be spared that. Obviously Citizen Z's recording will exonerate Dante and most likely implicate Estes and prosthetic face lady. (I'm trying to work out whether lieutenant Dante is named after Dante Alighieri who wrote the Divine Comedy, or Joe Dante the Horror director, Z nation are big on nominative determinism, so i guess George is named for George Washington)

Clearly this series is all about democracy and civil rights, and the dangers of demonising those who are different, it's not hard to see what inspired this theme.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

Newfoundland, Canada is known for its distinct accent, which does sound Irish. That's probably where the brudders and their mudder were supposed to be from, since the bakery was in Canada. 

You're quite right, i'd assumed the bakers were supposed to be from part of Canada where the people had Irish sounding accents, and apparently Newfoundland was heavily colonised by people from the south of Ireland, which is why the brudders sound like the come from Cork or Kilkenny.

• Useful 1
On 11/27/2018 at 5:20 PM, 17wheatthins said:

Newfoundland, Canada is known for its distinct accent, which does sound Irish. That's probably where the brudders and their mudder were supposed to be from, since the bakery was in Canada. 

On 11/28/2018 at 3:21 AM, BasilSeal said:

You're quite right, i'd assumed the bakers were supposed to be from part of Canada where the people had Irish sounding accents, and apparently Newfoundland was heavily colonised by people from the south of Ireland, which is why the brudders sound like the come from Cork or Kilkenny.

Thank you both, I was so confused by the Irish-sounding accents when they were supposed to be Canadian. I figured it was just bad accents on the parts of the actors!

• Love 1