Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E10: Apocalypse Then

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Rap541 said:

Yeah, the "Moira can't leave because her bones are buried on the property" rule is specific only to Moira and does not apply to the other ghosts whose bodies are presumably buried in different places.

But why does that rule only apply to moira

Because others are clearly trapped in the house DESPITE the obvious fact that their bodies were not buried in the garden. The gay couple, Violet, Ben, Ben's wife whose name I forget, Tate, Burned Guy's wife and kids - these were all people whose remains were most likely not buried on the property. So why are they trapped?

If Moira is trapped because her bones were buried there, then why was everyone else trapped? I mean, a few of them were buried there but certainly not all of them so why does the burial rule apply to Moira but no one else?

• Love 3
On 11/20/2018 at 2:41 PM, MaggieG said:

I'm pretty sure Moira died in the house. Constance caught her with her husband and shot her in the eye, then buried her. It's been a while since I've seen Murder House, but I'm pretty sure that's how it happened. I'm also sad that her reunion with her mother has now been wiped out

Constance caught her husband attempting to rape her, I'm guessing not for the first time. I think that's why her ghost was freaking out cheating men (or potential cheaters). I loved that we got younger and older Moira.

On 11/21/2018 at 11:48 AM, Captanne said:

I still haven't heard an answer to this question.  I didn't see another antichrist.  But, now that I'm seeing that photo of Michael in the tub, I think maybe I missed whole parts of this episode.  I didn't see anything that would use that scene.  (Closest I can think of was the battle scene in which Mallory? fought him by the stairs and Cordelia killed herself.  Was that this one?  Ugh.  This series is starting to really suck.)

The baby born in the last episode, to the "perfect genetics" couple. The house was too warm, he killed the babysitter, and then the satanists showed up. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Token said:

Fucking time travel.  We all knew it was coming, but it still hurt to see.  Time travel is the answer when you've completely run out of intelligent ideas.  Way to insult us, RM.

And the only thing writers have left after time travel is someone waking up and realising it was all a dream.  So, can we look forward to that next season, RM?  American Horror Story: Dallas Edition?

• Love 7
On 11/23/2018 at 7:21 AM, Anela said:

Constance caught her husband attempting to rape her, I'm guessing not for the first time. I think that's why her ghost was freaking out cheating men (or potential cheaters). I loved that we got younger and older Moira.

The baby born in the last episode, to the "perfect genetics" couple. The house was too warm, he killed the babysitter, and then the satanists showed up. 

It's implied that the husband had affairs with her before, then he came in drunk and attempted the rape, we'd hich is when constance walked it. They apparently continued the affair as ghosts, or mori said that to zing constance.

• Love 2
On 11/21/2018 at 12:43 AM, sashayshante said:

Why does Michael look like he went underwater the way Mallory did when she went back in time? Billie Lourd said that the finale was going to be a "bathtub showdown."  I'm genuinely wondering if they filmed an alternate ending where Michael followed Mallory back in time then switched gears last minute. Mallory was back at Murder House for all of a minute. That whole part was crazy rushed. Where was the Battle Royale we were promised? all we got was Michael standing around smirking and pouting.

Because we were very good and deserved a treat ;-)

• Love 3
On 11/24/2018 at 6:04 AM, Captanne said:

Oh, I remember that baby.  You know I didn't recognize the couple?  LOL  

So I was oddly prescient in my initial post for this episode. 

On 11/11/2018 at 7:45 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

More stuff will happen to many characters, some overly familiar, some we may barely remember from episodes that seem an eternity past.  If our dreams come true, in something less than 60 minutes, the story will come to a conclusion.  I, for one, will not be so foolish as to expect a satisfying conclusion to this season.  Let's see where this goes, shall we?

Original air date 2018.11.14

And I thank you for that!  I'm not sure I would have known who they were without the people on this forum. 

• Love 3

Controversial opinion for the day: I can't stand Nan, I didn't need to see her back.  Can't stand the character.  Can't stand the actress.  I think she's terrible.  I don't understand the fuss.

• Love 4

I don't think Nan was terrible but I thought the character was implausible and I can't believe that while Madison and Madame LaLaurie didn't feel shy about the open racism, that neither of them ever made a crack. I am perhaps cynical but I also found it unlikely that the hot Christian stud teen boy next door preferred the girl with Downs Syndrome.

It was all a little too After School Special - especially with Madame Lalaurie having no issue with pointed racism but having not one word to say about someone she would have considered a family curse at best in her own time? No "r*****" or "mongloid" or "defective half wit" remarks? I don't *need* to hear that kind of language but I thought it was implausible we didn't hear it, if that makes sense?

• Love 5
On 11/29/2018 at 10:03 PM, Rap541 said:

I am perhaps cynical but I also found it unlikely that the hot Christian stud teen boy next door preferred the girl with Downs Syndrome.

Wasn't that due to Nan being a witch, that she could get guys interested in her, perhaps unconsciously, if she was interested?

• Love 1

That was never stated as one of Nan's powers. She was called a clairvoyant, and displayed mind reading a lot but not mind control. It also makes Young Christian Stud essentially a mental rape victim of Nan's. 

This is the first season ever I didn’t watch all the way through.  I am waiting....long long wait for it to arrive on Netflix so I can binge and maybe it will make sense or not annoy and bore me.

This has never happened to me before.

• Love 2
On 11/29/2018 at 8:03 PM, Rap541 said:

I don't think Nan was terrible but I thought the character was implausible and I can't believe that while Madison and Madame LaLaurie didn't feel shy about the open racism, that neither of them ever made a crack. I am perhaps cynical but I also found it unlikely that the hot Christian stud teen boy next door preferred the girl with Downs Syndrome.

It was all a little too After School Special - especially with Madame Lalaurie having no issue with pointed racism but having not one word to say about someone she would have considered a family curse at best in her own time? No "r*****" or "mongloid" or "defective half wit" remarks? I don't *need* to hear that kind of language but I thought it was implausible we didn't hear it, if that makes sense?

They did not include the mongoloid and r***** remarks  in the script because that is cutting too low. I don't remember the name of the black actress but I am sure she could deal more with racist stuff and dialogue being in the script over the gal with down syndrome. And yes actually the series did have remarks about the retardation thing. Not in the Coven series but in Murder House. Constance refers to her daughter at least once as a mongoloid. I am sure the actress with down syndrome must be pretty confident to have not made a fuss about that kind of dialogue in the script since it made it to the show.

• Love 2
On 11/29/2018 at 7:12 PM, Token said:

Controversial opinion for the day: I can't stand Nan, I didn't need to see her back.  Can't stand the character.  Can't stand the actress.  I think she's terrible.  I don't understand the fuss.

Well she was part of the Coven and that storyline. Of course she would be back.

• Love 2

Which is likely a problem of the whole Apocalypse season - instead focusing on a clever story, they were focused on who could appear from prior seasons and what references could be shoehorned in so the audience would be "Oh look! Nan! In Hell!" or "It's Marsh! In the hotel!"

Did Nan appearing add anything to the season?

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Rap541 said:

Which is likely a problem of the whole Apocalypse season - instead focusing on a clever story, they were focused on who could appear from prior seasons and what references could be shoehorned in so the audience would be "Oh look! Nan! In Hell!" or "It's Marsh! In the hotel!"

Did Nan appearing add anything to the season?

Basically everyone from the Coven came back so it made sense for her to come back. Did having Madison come back add anything to the season either. Or better did having Stevie Nixx on add anything to the season either.

Edited by Stringey
  • Love 1

Yup. Madison was basically redeemed, at least in the alternate timeline.

Nan did nothing but pop in. Likewise Misty Day and Zoe and as much as I love her, Madame Laveau. But Madison actually had a role in the storyline. 

The Stevie Nix moment was dumb simply because *nothing* came of it, which basically makes my point about a lot of characters being jammed into the story in order to make people go "Oh hey Stevie Nix".

The only reason Madison doesn't fall into this category is because Madison *actually had moments of moving the plot forward* unlike Nan, Stevie Nix, Zoe, Madame Laveau, Marsh, Violet, and the whole fucking nonsense of Miss Venable's super creepy bomb shelter adventures in whipping gay men bloody. 

Edited by Rap541
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Rap541 said:

Yup. Madison was basically redeemed, at least in the alternate timeline.

Nan did nothing but pop in. Likewise Misty Day and Zoe and as much as I love her, Madame Laveau. But Madison actually had a role in the storyline. 

The Stevie Nix moment was dumb simply because *nothing* came of it, which basically makes my point about a lot of characters being jammed into the story in order to make people go "Oh hey Stevie Nix".

The only reason Madison doesn't fall into this category is because Madison *actually had moments of moving the plot forward* unlike Nan, Stevie Nix, Zoe, Madame Laveau, Marsh, Violet, and the whole fucking nonsense of Miss Venable's super creepy bomb shelter adventures in whipping gay men bloody. 

My point is that they had everyone return even in some minimal way just because they had been part of the Coven. Look at the character of Zoe she returned but really had no meaning this season. Why on earth did they give Madison the meaningful role that character is like a stuck up person in a high school.

Edited by Stringey
  • Love 2

Yes - my point - they crammed in a lot of appearances that had no meaning. Zoe appearing added nothing to the story. Nan appearing added nothing to the story. Misty Day appearing added nothing to the story. Aside from a fun soundtrack moment, Stevie Nix appearing added nothing to the story. 

Having various folks appear from older seasons - Billy from season one is another example, as is Marsh, is basically poor writing if they are only there so we have the "oh hey it's Nan" moment.

They did something similar with Twisty in Cult - he's there, its weird, and it does nothing for the actual plot. Rather than focus on who they can get to make a guest appearance, maybe they should try *writing a reasonably coherent story*. There was a pretty ok story hidden under all the "oh hey it's Queenie and Misty Day" stuff, this is a season that could have shined. Instead, we have to shake the turds off it to find the good bits. Not as bad as Roanoke (I doubt they'll top that shitshow) but worse in a way because they had a decent cast willing to work and gave them nothing but tired tropes and sight gag appearances. 

• Love 3

Steve Nicks appearing did diminish the very core of my being ever so slightly, so I guess it added to the true "horror" of AHS.  As you say, too many of the appearances added nothing to the story.  If we trimmed the chaff, there was a decent movie of the week left.   And yet it still would have ended with the disappointing time travel bit and the big bad dying by being hit by a car. 

• Love 3

Just finished watching this season.  I had it on my DVR for a year, and since the new season was starting, I thought I had better binge watch it.  I have to admit that with the title "Apocalypse", what we got wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but it was entertaining enough.  Watchable, but not great. 

It was nice to see so many of the old characters, and especially Murder House.  I wouldn't really be expecting witches to save the world, but whatever.

I didn't mind Stevie Nicks, by the way.

I finally swapped streaming services (here in Australia) that had Apocolypse and 1984 on it. (Previously Netflix got a new season like 2 years later - we'd still only had up to Cult on it).

Some of the decisions this season where... a choice.

I keep thinking in regards to Madison 2.0 there might be a few 'wibbly wobbly timey wimey' rules that Hell follows, or at least thoses in Hell. In the altered timeline Hell did remember what happened allong with Mallory - thus why she was given browny points to bring Misty (and in the future, Madison back... again).

Which makes me think when Madison 2.0 when she is reserrected (for the second time) will have her redemption and memories back (but has to deal with witches that don't remember her redemption). As she was back in hell when the timeline changed... it protected her somewhat.

Hell Misty could've had as well. We only had her there for 30 seconds after Nan dropped her off and she was a little confused (and lets be honest - she was never the most vocal or confident of Witches at the best of times - let alone after a few years stuck in her personal hell).

Also on a real-world note, I feel if Ryan Murphy where to bring WHS back with the Witches (which he has alluded to), I can only assume Emma Roberts would be one of the first ones he casts. So it pays to do this, when there is a naturally occurring conflict already built into the plot (Maddison having to show she's redeemed to people who don't trust her).

The double-casting did grate, but it really was Joan Collins Evie and Bubbles that annoyed me really. They basically where the same character with the same backstory. At least a throwaway line for one of them to talk about 'her bitch twin sister' would've made it a little less grating. At least with the two new characters Evan Peters played where totally different folks.

I didn't hate the season, but I didn't care for it either. It just kinda felt like two different shows (same issues Roanoke had). I guess this is why most TV serials leave a time travelling episode to a 2-parter at best. Time Travel doesn't work that well as a storyline when you drag it on for 10 hours. You forget your inital purpose and set up and there is just a lot of filler.

Edited by Robert
  • Love 1