Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E10: Apocalypse Then

• Start Topic

But Constance's daughter - who I don't think was named Nan although she was played by the actress who played Nan in Coven, didn't beg to be taken to the house, she didn't want to be trapped there. 

• Love 2

I might be dumb but I feel like this season was almost unfollowable--but I was also bored by it, so maybe that contributes to this feeling (that and maybe the fact that I watched the finale after a six (yes, six!)-hour commute home from work in a blizzard that no one in all of Jersey appeared to be prepared for).

• Love 8
On 11/15/2018 at 8:41 AM, Rap541 said:

He's been dead since 1997. If he was alive in 2020 or 2023 - I wasn't sure of the flash forward times - he'd be 90 or 93.

Basically they just used a fictionalized Anton Lavey very loosely based on the real one.

14 hours ago, Daltrey said:

Myrtle: I suppose I must get to the most unpleasant part of my visit.

Tech-douche #2; What's that?

Myrtle: The part where I have to leave before killing you both.

She had to leave them alive to carry out their roles in the apocalypse and not alert Micheal that the witches were on to him and working to avert it.

Thank you!  I misunderstood her.

• Love 2
On 11/14/2018 at 11:12 PM, Primal Slayer said:

The return of the one true Voodoo Queen had me screaming with joy even if her time with us was short.

Hell yes! No offense to Beyonce, but Angela Bassett is the OG Queen Bee. I remember first seeing her in Strange Days and falling in love with her bad assery. And wondering if I could ever have arms like that.

On 11/14/2018 at 11:30 PM, AnswersWanted said:

Actually I think the big blunder that was made, which you think the witches would’ve been aware of, is that technically those two little twerps died in the original future, so for a time they were wrangled into the underworld at a certain point and therefore compromised by death.

So I am going to guess, and I’m trying to be generous with them at this point, that is why they were then able to be used as vessels to bring forth the next antichrist.

Technically those two should’ve died in the future that existed before the time travel, Satan was able to compromise them, and then basically just set them up since he would be aware of the witches plan to kill Michael in the past at that point. 

Was not happy to see those two twerps, ugh. That 2020/2023 fast-forward felt like the shitty starlight mint at the end of a decent meal.

And I like the idea of them being "compromised by death" and spending chillin' with Satan, but wait - wasn't, like, the whole freaking world potentially hanging out in hell if the planet just experienced, ya, know, an Apocalypse? Ugh. (My frustration is with RM and the writers, not you, AnswersWanted! lol)

On 11/15/2018 at 1:43 AM, oompa said:

I did like the homage to both Alien (android head with white 'blood') and 2001: A Space Odyssey (singing Daisy like Hal).

I adored hearing that tune, and think it may be the only thing about the coke twins that I appreciated (assuming they were responsible for the default programming). Something about that 2001 scene makes me sad, as I feel slightly bad for HAL's demise. For me, death scene sympathy goes in the order of 1) animals (fuck you, Walking Dead), 2) robots/etc. (poor Teddy), and 3) humans.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Dobian said:

Basically they just used a fictionalized Anton Lavey very loosely based on the real one.

If he sold his soul to the devil, there's no reason he couldn't be younger than he should be or even immortal.

• Love 2

The actual objection his family made was that the real Anton Lavey didn't actually believe in the Christian concept of the Devil. His actual beliefs were more secular atheist - Satan wasn't real and not to be worshipped but is a portrayal of a positive archetype, the rebel or non conformist. The real Anton Lavey wouldn't have sold his soul to the devil because he didn't believe in the devil. 

I'm not a Satanist, I don't follow his beliefs, but I do think his family has a legit gripe about a fictional portrayal that a smidge of research on Wikipedia would have cleared up. I actually found the Jonestown stuff and Manson last season a little offensive as well since it is all basically being played for laughs at this point. The LaLaurie and Madame Laveau stuff gets more of a pass since there's no one alive to contradict the depiction. 

*I concede I am probably taking this aspect of AHS too seriously

• Love 11

I decided I have to stop trying to figure this season out. The time travel got me all mixed up. I also got all mixed up about some stuff I thought I had seen in previous episodes, so it crossed over into a Mandela Effect experience for me. How many times can I binge watch the entire season trying to find what I thought I saw the first time? 

I suppose the bottom line is that after the time jump everything never happened anyway. So it is all moot. A new anti-Christ was born and that's that. 

• Love 3
On 15/11/2018 at 9:19 AM, MrsWitter said:

Yes! This was the second season that ended with her decapitated. I don’t know if that was a purposeful throwback to Coven, but I’m going with it.

3BEB02C5-12C2-46A5-A958-7A3878AC11A5.jpeg

Third time.  She was also decapitated in Freak Show - to cover up the fact she’d been shot in the head  

On 15/11/2018 at 7:33 PM, iMonrey said:

I was mostly satisfied with the wrap up, more so than I would have been with a "to be continued" ending. But I really don't want another season with the new anti-Christ baby the teens just had because it would feel like a lot of rehash. 

I also agree there was very little point to the first couple of episodes spent in the underground bunker. The mutants that they fed the horses to - who or what were they? Just apocalypse survivors that were mutated? Why feed them their horses? The snakes . . . what was the deal with those? And all the extra characters they killed off like Mr. Gallant and his grandmother - just pointless. 

I hadn't thought about what the time reset would do to Moira's spirit but yeah . . . it seems like the happy ending she got has been undone. 

The other thing that bugged me was the fight Constance had with Michael where she kicks him out of the house didn't apparently happen in the original timeline, so how did that get changed? In the original timeline - the story she told Madison and Behold - she was the one who eventually left, went to the Murder House, and killed herself. She never kicked Michael out. 

We’re assuming that Constance was telling the whole truth and not just glossing over the fact that she’d chucked out her grandson before killing herself  

• Love 3

So, after all that, a new anti-christ shows up. Making most of this all pointless, at least until the next batch of witches shows up. Pointless, just like this season!

Slightly unfair, I know. There was a lot I did like about this season. I enjoyed seeing the Coven cast again, and the sequels and tie ins to the other seasons was fun, I always get a kick out of seeing old characters again, even if their faces are usually around. I liked the expansion of the Coven universe, and the time travel stuff was at least interesting, if predictable and confusing. 

Really, the big issue is that the whole first few episodes were basically just a framing device to the Coven cast fighting Michael and the Satanists. The only reason that happens is seemingly to set up that the two nice dorks were a back up plan to birth a new anti christ in case Michael didnt work out. But all the rest of it, the costumes, the purples, the convoluted rules, Stu being stew, it all turned out to be pointless. Of course, you can say that about a lot of the season. They bring back Marie from Coven...and she dies. We bring back Zoe and Queenie...and they die before they do much. We go back to Murder House...and that all gets wiped away because of time travel. It just seemed like such classic AHS. A bunch of good ideas, all thrown at the wall to see what sticks, leaving anything that slides off as totally pointless. Basically, the whole season is a massive freaking flashback, with flashbacks WITHIN the flashbacks! 

I kind of love that Michael just got run over several times. Its kind of hilarious. As was the decapitated head of Kathy Bates doing her best Hall 9000. 

You know, having all of the cast as their many characters made things weirdly confusing. Like when Coco met Billy on the Street at the hair salon, I had to remember that he was another character before the coke head satanist. It seems like they could have done something with it. 

I honestly wish that the aliens would have shown up and beamed Michael away at the last minute, and thats how he was defeated. Its not any more nonsensical than anything else thats happened this season, at least the aliens are actually established in this universe!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Was not happy to see those two twerps, ugh. That 2020/2023 fast-forward felt like the shitty starlight mint at the end of a decent meal.

And I like the idea of them being "compromised by death" and spending chillin' with Satan, but wait - wasn't, like, the whole freaking world potentially hanging out in hell if the planet just experienced, ya, know, an Apocalypse? Ugh. (My frustration is with RM and the writers, not you, AnswersWanted! lol)

Oh no, heh, no worries, I am adrift in the same boat about this. I felt my own brain stretching trying to come up with that explanation/excuse.  

I doubt they even cared if it made sense or not, they wanted to bring those two back and they wanted to show the antichrist being reborn, whether or not it made sense or connected to the rest of the story obviously didn’t matter. 

I feel like that turn of events with the new antichrist just rendered so much that came before pointless.  

• Love 3

I can’t believe they managed to wrap up everything in one episode.  I’m impressed.  

I think Mallory’s time travel worked this time because she leaped into her past body, like in the movie Peggy Sue Got Married.  That meand her 2015 body is not powerful enough to fight Michael because Cordelia is still alive as the Supreme.  

Mallory running Michael over with the car, mirrors Jamie Brewer’s character getting run over on Halloween in season 1.  (Still an unsolved mystery.)  Constance regretted not being able to bring her daughter to die in the Murder House.  I really didn’t know what she was going to decide in that moment. Mallory still should have cut off his head, just to make sure.  

As for the DNA couple, we know nothing about the girl’s family.  Maybe she only thinks she’s human.  Maybe their baby got swapped with the Antichrist like in The Omen, and the real baby is special but hidden away.

Overall, I’m glad I watched this season.  I didn’t see Hotel, Roanoke or Cult.  I loved the return to Murder House and the three witches in the woods making their grand entrance.  

Plus, Misty Day is back.  Her looping fate with the dissection always bothered me.  

For those confused by the flashback, it began in episode 4 right after Mallory, Coco, and Dinah were resurrected.  The flashback continued all the way to the beginning of episode 10.  Any scenes with the warlocks at the boys school or the witches mansion was in flashback.  If Michael doesn’t have his longest hair and red eye shadow, it’s flashback.

The only part of the apocalypse that we saw was the bunker, the wasteland around it, and that little bit of Billy Eichner coming across radiation cannibals and hitching a ride under the horse carriage.

I would have just moved forward with the Apocalypse and had the witches travel around outside in this newly created world.

But really, this was Coven 2, and I’m fine with it.  

• Love 4
On 11/14/2018 at 8:17 PM, 100Proof said:

So you're that person in horror movies who's responsible for watching over the serial killer who dismembered 200 people and who finally is caught and all tied up but then sweet talks you into freeing him. ;-D

I thought it was slightly sad too but I think it makes it more interesting. At this point Michael had not realized who he was and accepted Satan as his savior and father. Yes he was a bad kid but you could say still had some innocence to him. People are wondering too why a car took him out so easily and the reason for that too is that he had not accepted Satan as his savior and father and had not come into his supernatural powers to regenerate himself.

On 11/15/2018 at 10:06 PM, farmgal4 said:

She told them that she hated to have to leave before they died, or something like that, so I’m almost certain she did kill them.

That was my takeaway. 

I wasn't paying close attention and misunderstood.

Oh well. Lol.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

Unexpectedly, the highlight of this season for me, was Madison, and Joan Collins was good, too. I don't think she's stuck in hell for good. Mallory said she'd be there a little while longer (I don't know why, though - because she and Coco hated each other?)

So Satan wanted  a back-up, with those two? Or Michael wanted a little brother? They weren't living in murder house, so how/why did he choose them? They seemed like two decent kids. 

Angela Bassett is beautiful, as is Jessica Lange. It was nice seeing them both. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

Third time.  She was also decapitated in Freak Show - to cover up the fact she’d been shot in the head  

Thank you! I totally forgot that (to be honest, Freak Show wasn’t a favorite of mine like it is for some so my memory of it isn’t as strong). I think it has to be purposeful, which I enjoy. The little Easter eggs are part of what makes AHS fun.

Speaking of Easter Eggs...

The music playing in the scene where Michael dies is the exact same music played in the scene where David Madson (also played by Cody Fern) dies in ACS Versace.

I found Michael's death sad because he didn't understand why he had the impulses he had and that he wanted to be good. When Ben started acting like a father figure and showed interest in him, we saw that his behavior improved. His life could have been different. He was begging for help and Constance - who initially was thrilled to be raising the antichrist because it made her feel important - discarded him the minute the reality didn't match her fantasy of being some kind of Satanic Matriarch. I mean, Tate set a man on fire, raped a woman, and shot up a fucking school and killed 15 people and she still obsessively tried to win his love; but she couldn't muster any compassion for a child desperate to fix his compulsions when she knew all along he was pre-disposed to evil? Then she let him die scared and alone? How is that not evil, too?

It's the whole Nature vs. Nurture thing that intrigues me, I guesa. Michael never had a chance. That's what was so tragic about his death.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

I decided I have to stop trying to figure this season out. The time travel got me all mixed up. I also got all mixed up about some stuff I thought I had seen in previous episodes, so it crossed over into a Mandela Effect experience for me. How many times can I binge watch the entire season trying to find what I thought I saw the first time? 

I suppose the bottom line is that after the time jump everything never happened anyway. So it is all moot. A new anti-Christ was born and that's that. 

Basicly, after episode 3 the season is all flashbacks until the finale, when Mallory goes back in time and deletes the season from existing, and even deletes Queenie death in hotel 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Stringey said:

I thought it was slightly sad too but I think it makes it more interesting. At this point Michael had not realized who he was and accepted Satan as his savior and father. Yes he was a bad kid but you could say still had some innocence to him. People are wondering too why a car took him out so easily and the reason for that too is that he had not accepted Satan as his savior and father and had not come into his supernatural powers to regenerate himself.

Ok, but, if it was real life, this creature has apparently already murdered an innumerable number of people. But he's just a bad kid, probably misunderstood and needing a bit of attention.

Didn't feel a bit sorry for this psychopath. By that very nature, the whole pleading innocence thing is simply an act of deception. Would've been great if a steamroller had come along as well.   ;-D

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 7

Yeah, gotta be honest, Michael with his sad eyes and his pleading? Was being thrown out of the house that day because he murdered a priest who annoyed him. As a small child he killed his nanny viciously. At what point was he struggling to not murder people?

• Love 9
On 11/14/2018 at 10:12 PM, Primal Slayer said:

Madison truly found her redemption in sacrificing herself in an attempt to keep Michael down while giving her sisters more time to get Mallory to the past.

The bitch is a natural telekinetic.  Why she didn’t pull all of the blood out of Michael, tear him limb from limb, bat him around the place a bit or something baffles me.  While he was unconscious was the perfect time to make it harder for him to regenerate.

Well, as Dad says, “it wasn’t in the script.”

• Love 11
On 11/15/2018 at 8:51 AM, sashayshante said:

I still can't get over that Coco existed to belittle Mallory so her powers would be surpressed and Brock existed to stab Mallory.

I love Leslie Grossman and hoped we’d see how her power evolved.   It makes me sad that we didn’t.

• Love 4

This is the last series of AHS I will watch because I found it very dull.  I understand everything folks have said here about the timeline (it wasn't that difficult to follow, for me) but who is the "new Antichrist"?  I didn't see that.

Also, I loathed Michael from the beginning and don't think the actor is "all that."  So, his crocodile tears to Jessica Lange at the ousting scene had no effect on me.  He's thoroughly disgusting. I can't imagine having sympathy for the character they presented us with.  

• Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:23 PM, 100Proof said:

Welp, they managed to wrap it up...with a caveat. This a setup for a sequel maybe.

Please. No sequel. I mean come on- if the Antichrist that is the son of a ghost can be killed by a car- how lame will the one made by the boring couple be? Good grief- Coco's lame old calorie counting could kill that one. Here- have a deadly snowball. You can choke on those- ya know?

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:12 PM, Primal Slayer said:

While that is true, getting him back into the physical world shouldnt be that easy, especially two nobodies who havent been possessed or anything.

But they have special DNA- 23 and Me says so. Gag me.

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:56 AM, LoneHaranguer said:

She could have at least told Queenie why her choice of hotel was a bad idea. I wish they had explained why she picked it in the first place; I can't believe it'd have good reviews online.

She said she'd do it later, so I presume there was a scheduling conflict with Emma Roberts. I suspect doing a "yay, all of the girls are safe" scene was an afterthought.

Especially if somebody called 911.

Well, she did get Queenie to not stay at the Cortez. And as for Madison- Mallory is STILL the next Supreme. She will still have to do the 7 wonders. And she'll need someone worthy of breaking out of Hell. Myrtle may not be in Hell. Do witches automatically go to Hell in Murphyworld? Who knows.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:33 PM, iMonrey said:

I also agree there was very little point to the first couple of episodes spent in the underground bunker. The mutants that they fed the horses to - who or what were they? Just apocalypse survivors that were mutated? Why feed them their horses? The snakes . . . what was the deal with those? And all the extra characters they killed off like Mr. Gallant and his grandmother - just pointless. 

I hadn't thought about what the time reset would do to Moira's spirit but yeah . . . it seems like the happy ending she got has been undone. 

The other thing that bugged me was the fight Constance had with Michael where she kicks him out of the house didn't apparently happen in the original timeline, so how did that get changed? In the original timeline - the story she told Madison and Behold - she was the one who eventually left, went to the Murder House, and killed herself. She never kicked Michael out. 

I'm pretty sure that the mutants that ate the horses were just plain old mutated humans. The horses were going to be extremely mutated by that point and were worthless because of the nuclear winter radiation. They were unfit to eat at the bunker. So the mutated humans ate them.

while there was little point to Evie Gallant- Joan Collins is NEVER pointless. LOL!

I'm pretty sure that Constance lied to Madison and Behold about the fight. It happened, but she still told little lies to make herself look better.  Instead of "You have to stop killing" it became, he went after me for correcting his grammer. Michael ran out of the house- and she went to kill herself.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Bali said:

I'm pretty sure that the mutants that ate the horses were just plain old mutated humans. The horses were going to be extremely mutated by that point and were worthless because of the nuclear winter radiation. They were unfit to eat at the bunker. So the mutated humans ate them.

I just.... for the sake of education, mutation doesn't work like that. 

The horses were normal horses that had been irradiated so they were probably sick from radiation sickness and cancer. Whatever was at the bottom of the cliff was not a human being that had mutated - radiation caused mutations are just going to cause cancer and tumors not extra limbs or spider powers or whatever the fuck that thing was. In 18 months, nothing has had time to birth out a monstrosity due to the radiation. 

The gross guys that Brock killed and Brock himself were really a better example.

I'm taking the show too seriously but no, whatever was eating the horses was not a human being mutated into a monster.

• Love 4

I was fast forwarding through commercials, and after the part where she think in the water holding his hair and then the next scene was them in the past at the coven, I thought I maybe fast forwarded through a whole 15 minutes of show...

1 hour ago, Anakerie said:

Does this mean that Moira's reunion with her mom was cancelled out, and that Violet still isn't speaking to Tate? I don't give two crow farts about Tate and Violet, but I liked Moira and that makes me sad. 

Yup. Basically everything that happened in the Murder House episode was wiped out. So on the one hand, Moira is still trapped. On the other? Constance is not trapped in the house with her. 

And frankly I don't understand how removing Moira's bones from the backyard set her free from the house. Bones and bodily remains was not a factor for any of the other trapped ghosts. It was also not true in Hotel or Roanoke...

• Love 2

Didn't Moira die off-premises, and it was Constance burying her in the Murder House yard that caused her to haunt the site she was buried at, rather than being trapped in the house from the moment of her death inside like all the other ghosts?

1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

Didn't Moira die off-premises, and it was Constance burying her in the Murder House yard that caused her to haunt the site she was buried at, rather than being trapped in the house from the moment of her death inside like all the other ghosts?

I'm pretty sure Moira died in the house. Constance caught her with her husband and shot her in the eye, then buried her. It's been a while since I've seen Murder House, but I'm pretty sure that's how it happened. I'm also sad that her reunion with her mother has now been wiped out

• Love 2

Why does Michael look like he went underwater the way Mallory did when she went back in time? Billie Lourd said that the finale was going to be a "bathtub showdown."  I'm genuinely wondering if they filmed an alternate ending where Michael followed Mallory back in time then switched gears last minute. Mallory was back at Murder House for all of a minute. That whole part was crazy rushed. Where was the Battle Royale we were promised? all we got was Michael standing around smirking and pouting.

Edited by sashayshante
  • Love 5
On 11/19/2018 at 5:10 PM, Rap541 said:

I just.... for the sake of education, mutation doesn't work like that. 

The horses were normal horses that had been irradiated so they were probably sick from radiation sickness and cancer. Whatever was at the bottom of the cliff was not a human being that had mutated - radiation caused mutations are just going to cause cancer and tumors not extra limbs or spider powers or whatever the fuck that thing was. In 18 months, nothing has had time to birth out a monstrosity due to the radiation. 

The gross guys that Brock killed and Brock himself were really a better example.

I'm taking the show too seriously but no, whatever was eating the horses was not a human being mutated into a monster.

I have a question related to the mutations. Did anyone else see the creepy season teaser that was very grainy with static sounds and the sound of the radiation detector? The trailer showed split second images of the wasteland after the bomb. Anyway I swear they showed split seconds of a mutated person covered with sores and tumors and I thought the person was holding a baby. Well in the second episode I believe Michael tells someone he came across a mutated woman with two mutated babies. She pleaded for him to end their pain but he would not.

• Love 1
On 11/19/2018 at 6:57 AM, Captanne said:

This is the last series of AHS I will watch because I found it very dull.  I understand everything folks have said here about the timeline (it wasn't that difficult to follow, for me) but who is the "new Antichrist"?  I didn't see that.

Also, I loathed Michael from the beginning and don't think the actor is "all that."  So, his crocodile tears to Jessica Lange at the ousting scene had no effect on me.  He's thoroughly disgusting. I can't imagine having sympathy for the character they presented us with.  

I still haven't heard an answer to this question.  I didn't see another antichrist.  But, now that I'm seeing that photo of Michael in the tub, I think maybe I missed whole parts of this episode.  I didn't see anything that would use that scene.  (Closest I can think of was the battle scene in which Mallory? fought him by the stairs and Cordelia killed herself.  Was that this one?  Ugh.  This series is starting to really suck.)

2 hours ago, Captanne said:

I still haven't heard an answer to this question.  I didn't see another antichrist.  But, now that I'm seeing that photo of Michael in the tub, I think maybe I missed whole parts of this episode.  I didn't see anything that would use that scene.  (Closest I can think of was the battle scene in which Mallory? fought him by the stairs and Cordelia killed herself.  Was that this one?  Ugh.  This series is starting to really suck.)

There wasn't a scene of him actually in the bathtub.  That wasn't a still from an actual scene, just a photo somebody took on set I think.  His clothes were ripped up for the scenes when Madison was trying to kill him I think.  The "new Antichrist" was supposed to be the baby born at the end.  The episode ended with him having killed the babysitter the same way Michael had when he was a tot. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, sashayshante said:

Why does Michael look like he went underwater the way Mallory did when she went back in time? Billie Lourd said that the finale was going to be a "bathtub showdown."  I'm genuinely wondering if they filmed an alternate ending where Michael followed Mallory back in time then switched gears last minute. Mallory was back at Murder House for all of a minute. That whole part was crazy rushed. Where was the Battle Royale we were promised? all we got was Michael standing around smirking and pouting.

This goes in line with my comment about why didn't he go to the tub and kill her. This (the pic above) definitely seems like a better ending than what we've got. There was zero battle royale. So disappointed. 

• Love 1
On 11/20/2018 at 2:41 PM, MaggieG said:

I'm pretty sure Moira died in the house. Constance caught her with her husband and shot her in the eye, then buried her. It's been a while since I've seen Murder House, but I'm pretty sure that's how it happened. I'm also sad that her reunion with her mother has now been wiped out

The husband was raping Moira while drunk, for they had an affair previously, Constance walks in on them and kills them both, so they indeed died in the house.

• Love 1

Yeah, the "Moira can't leave because her bones are buried on the property" rule is specific only to Moira and does not apply to the other ghosts whose bodies are presumably buried in different places.

• Love 1

He's dripping wet and his hair looks wet, like he dunked under water. I honestly think there was more to the time travel aspect than we saw.  We got more time with Mallory and Anastasia than Mallory and Michael. I wouldn't be surprised if a ton of stuff across the whole season was cut for time.

• Love 1