Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
cooksdelight

S18.E06: Hot Potato

Recommended Posts

Quote

The chefs must create a dish using potatoes as the key component; the pressure becomes unbearable for one chef, leading to a chaotic dinner service.

Edited by cooksdelight

Share this post


Link to post

Poor Chris. 

I enjoyed it way too much when the guy barged in while Christina and Chris were talking and she just slammed the door shut. Plus, she handled that really well with Chris.

I hope they got to keep the Mister Potato heads.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, TDT said:

Exactly why did Chris leave the show..?

He said his head wasn’t in it anymore. It almost seemed like some type of breakdown. And right after doing so well in the challenge!

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

He said his head wasn’t in it anymore. It almost seemed like some type of breakdown. And right after doing so well in the challenge!

He's mentioned a couple of times that accident he was in and I think it impacted his ability to work under high pressure. He could do it a couple of times, but the presure never goes away until you're fired. Plus, God only knows what it's like to work with loud obnoxious Trev.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I hope Chris gets the help he needs. I felt so bad for him.  I hope Gordan was serious when he said he would help.  I'm glad he saw that he couldn't go on.  He has come far from the accident he had and for him to see he needs help is good.  I was hoping T would win it all and then she goes and does this. She deserved to go home.  I no longer have a favorite but I hope it's not Trev or Bret.  The most annoying this season and on their own.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Crucial said:

I hope Chris gets the help he needs. I felt so bad for him.  I hope Gordan was serious when he said he would help.  I'm glad he saw that he couldn't go on.  He has come far from the accident he had and for him to see he needs help is good.  I was hoping T would win it all and then she goes and does this. She deserved to go home.  I no longer have a favorite but I hope it's not Trev or Bret.  The most annoying this season and on their own.

 

IMHO, you can add Heather to that list. She is a close third as most annoying. Again, IMO she thinks because she was a previous runner-up she has been anointed as the know-it-all spokesperson for this group. We saw what happened to the two other runners-up already.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I was hoping Gordon would send both T and Heather home.  They can cook but I don't like either of them.  I hope Kanae goes next.  She's very cute (and knows it) but I find her just as annoying as Brett and Trev only in a different way.  

I got a kick out of the Mr. Potato Heads.  The judging, however, was the usual manipulation of the scoring followed by the eliminated dish being one of the best things ever that would have won for the losing team.  Gordon needs some new fake decisions.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah I really like Kenae but that dish did not in any way look like an eight.  I mean, it COULD have tasted amazing but I have doubts.

This show has been on for what, 46 seasons now?  And yet, we still have chefs who have people speaking to them and ignore them.  T, I love ya, but that was some weak sauce.  Someone is talking to you?  Fucking RESPOND.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Anyone notice how Blais copied every movement, every hand on the chin, every look... like he wanted to be Gordon’s newly adopted son?

I am so sick of Blais I didn't notice.  I tried not to look at him too much.  He turns up everywhere like a bad penny.  He's even a semi-regular on "The Rachael Ray Show" for Chrissakes.

53 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Yeah I really like Kenae but that dish did not in any way look like an eight.  I mean, it COULD have tasted amazing but I have doubts.

Oh I smelled the BS big time with that one.  Every single time they have to leave one dish out it magically turns out to be the one that could have made the team win....by one point.  EVERY SINGLE TIME.  Does Gordon think we're THAT stupid?

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

18 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I am so sick of Blais I didn't notice.  I tried not to look at him too much.  He turns up everywhere like a bad penny.  He's even a semi-regular on "The Rachael Ray Show" for Chrissakes.

Oh I smelled the BS big time with that one.  Every single time they have to leave one dish out it magically turns out to be the one that could have made the team win....by one point.  EVERY SINGLE TIME.  Does Gordon think we're THAT stupid?

1

Actually, it's Gordan and the showrunners that are stupid for repeating the same BS over and over.

Everyone knows a tie is a given in these competitions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, preeya said:

IMHO, you can add Heather to that list. She is a close third as most annoying. Again, IMO she thinks because she was a previous runner-up she has been anointed as the know-it-all spokesperson for this group. We saw what happened to the two other runners-up already.

I agree with you on Heather.  Hopefully she exits soon too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I finally figured out why Bret annoys me so much.  Aside from all his ridiculous “pep talks” to his teammates, and his stupid yo-yo-yo way of speaking, and the affected mannerism of “kiss the gold cross pendant and look skyward & point”  to give ‘props’ to his main Lord & OG; my main issue is Bret looks like a less intelligent, less articulate and more chromosomally deficient Vin Diesel. I haaaaaaaate Vin Diesel with a nuclear meltdown level of intensity.

And the production minions keep getting Bret’s age wrong in his chyron...it  keeps showing as “34”. Someone keeps mistaking the “3” for a “5”.  There is NO WAY that dude is in his 30’s!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I finally figured out why Bret annoys me so much.  Aside from all his ridiculous “pep talks” to his teammates, and his stupid yo-yo-yo way of speaking, and the affected mannerism of “kiss the gold cross pendant and look skyward & point”  to give ‘props’ to his main Lord & OG; my main issue is Bret looks like a less intelligent, less articulate and more chromosomally deficient Vin Diesel. I haaaaaaaate Vin Diesel with a nuclear meltdown level of intensity.

And the production minions keep getting Bret’s age wrong in his chyron...it  keeps showing as “34”. Someone keeps mistaking the “3” for a “5”.  There is NO WAY that dude is in his 30’s!

Based on the first episode of the season, I thought he was telling his deceased parents, "This one's for you."

And I agree.  No way he's in his 30s.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/10/2018 at 8:14 AM, mertensia said:

He's mentioned a couple of times that accident he was in and I think it impacted his ability to work under high pressure. He could do it a couple of times, but the presure never goes away until you're fired. Plus, God only knows what it's like to work with loud obnoxious Trev.

During the first dinner service Chris was writing stuff down because he has short-term memory issues due to his accident and was chewed out for it.  I think he was in a tough spot - he was clearly still suffering from his accident but wanted to give the show a go, he realized he couldn't cut it.  He made the right choice to leave.

On 11/10/2018 at 10:27 AM, Crucial said:

I hope Chris gets the help he needs. I felt so bad for him.  I hope Gordan was serious when he said he would help.  I'm glad he saw that he couldn't go on.  He has come far from the accident he had and for him to see he needs help is good. 

I think Gordon was sincere.  It would be interesting to see any follow-up on this.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

God, the TV universe is still trying to make Richard Blais happen. I can't stand that entitled, faux hipster douchebag. Top Chef even invented an 'All Stars' season to hand him a win he didn't earn in 'HIS' season. I love that standing next to Gordon made him look like the silly little man he is.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:55 PM, Yeah No said:

Oh I smelled the BS big time with that one.  Every single time they have to leave one dish out it magically turns out to be the one that could have made the team win....by one point.  EVERY SINGLE TIME.  Does Gordon think we're THAT stupid?

Well, arguably it's the "charm" of this show. Everything is so damn predictable. In a confusing and chaotic world you can watch HK and be assured nothing surprising will ever happen. Every left out dish will be better than one chosen, every challenge will be a tie to be broken by the final dish. And on and on.

4 hours ago, wheresmypizza said:

God, the TV universe is still trying to make Richard Blais happen. I can't stand that entitled, faux hipster douchebag. Top Chef even invented an 'All Stars' season to hand him a win he didn't earn in 'HIS' season. I love that standing next to Gordon made him look like the silly little man he is.

I cringed when I saw it was Blais. Maybe the TV universe loves him because he's totally their own creation. Can't think if any other reason. And I wouldn't have believed it was possible, but his hair has gotten even more stupid.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:14 AM, AZChristian said:

And I agree.  No way he's in his 30s.

Well, I have known some people who have aged much faster than their chronological years. But I don't buy 34. Maybe 38 or 39. (And he always makes me think of Vin Diesel too).

Ditto to what others have said about Chris getting the help he needs. That was real life drama, not invented crap like the T-Heather squabble. Earlier in that episode I found myself struggling to understand him during one of this talking heads. He seemed to be slurring a bit. I have to wonder if there is some lingering neurological damage in addition to the emotional stress he's experiencing. Glad that he got his moment of triumph in having the best potato dish. At least he can take that away from this experience.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/10/2018 at 7:50 PM, BusyOctober said:

And the production minions keep getting Bret’s age wrong in his chyron...it  keeps showing as “34”. Someone keeps mistaking the “3” for a “5”.  There is NO WAY that dude is in his 30’s!

He's actually 36 according to my sources.  I guess some people come out of the box looking older, especially when they're as unattractive as he is!  I've always read that there's a correlation between what we identify as "young" and what we identify as "attractive".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/12/2018 at 9:20 PM, bluepiano said:

Well, arguably it's the "charm" of this show. Everything is so damn predictable. In a confusing and chaotic world you can watch HK and be assured nothing surprising will ever happen. Every left out dish will be better than one chosen, every challenge will be a tie to be broken by the final dish. And on and on.

 

I wish I could like this comment a billion times.  I’ve often wondered why I stick with this show, but you hit the nail on the head.

I will say that I find Gordon a bit more “toned down” this season, more realistic reactions.  I like the change.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Richard Blais, please pack your entitled, fame whore ass and go!  Honestly, there hasn't been a food competition I haven't seen him on lately, including Top Chef Jr., MasterChef, Chopped, and now Hell's Kitchen.  And I love how the cheftestants always act so delighted to see him.  Were it me standing there, the camera would zoom right into my face as I roll my eyes and stick out my tongue in disgust.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

The only good thing about seeing Richard Blais on Hell's Kitchen right now is that it MIGHT mean he won't be on the new season of Top Chef...right? Please?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Blais doesn't bother me as much as he does most people, but I still laughed when he showed up because ouch, somebody's stock continues its steady decline. Next stop: judging a healthy eating contest on Top Model. Then we'll know it's game over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I remember reading an interview w/Blais after Top Chef. He said that even if you don't win, behaving well on the show could open other doors for you. I keep that in mind when we see people like Elise and Jackie. They will never realize what other opportunities they could have had, even if they didn't win, if they had just come off like decent people, good cooks, and sportsman-like.  I notice that Kevin and Ariel have done well, but then, I'm not surprised.

Now that Kevin and T are gone, I have no idea who's going to win. Scotley can take his sexist bullying self away any time now. Could Trev win??? Roe? I have no idea. I'm not sure about any of the rookies. Jose looks good. Kanae has done well at times (and I find her TH funny as heck), but I'm not seeing a sure shot yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size