Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E07: A Lifetime of Achievement

6 minutes ago, KicksandGiggles said:

LOL - I did a double-take on that humongous pin as well, but seriously thought it was an ant ready for a picnic. I am enjoying this show. I loved seeing Murphy with John Laroquette's character as I also enjoyed them on Boston Legal. It might be fun to see William Shatner or James Spader make an appearance as well.

Yea that could be pretty cool seeing either of those two show up. This show has been fun so far, reboot wise.

• Love 7

I thought that Charles Kimbrough was much more relaxed on this episode than the first one in which he appeared especially since it was such a big part.  

That spider broach was just, well, yuck!

Loved seeing John Larroquette, he has always been a favorite of mine;  I think his best part was in The West Wing.  I hope this is a recurring role.  And I liked Avery's girlfriend as well, she handled Murphy beautifully!  RBG rocks!

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 16
On 11/8/2018 at 9:10 PM, Annber03 said:

I also loved Diana's reaction to Miles' suit

That, and her little interlude with Frank when she said she was already drunk finally settled for me that the character reminds me of Portia de Rossi's Veronica from my beloved Better Off Ted.  If they can give her more of that kind of really short, sharp, funny stuff once or twice in an episode, she'll be a winner in my book.

I LOL'd at Murphy's drive-by laughter at Miles's tuxedo too.  Poor thing.  Corky and Katie Couric snapping to pageant attention for the paps was very funny as well, and their agreement to unzip and get burgers afterward was cute.

I liked Avery's romantic subplot, from his grilling Murphy about needing companionship, to his leading with his date's resume when they met at the gala, to the awkward foursome at the front door, and them sneaking away at the end.  I didn't know that the actors are a couple in real life though; that's pretty adorable.

Both Bette Midler and John Larroquette were absolute gold.  I am here for seeing both of them reoccur responsibly.

Jim and Phyllis's storyline was very sweet.  I loved Jim's face and eyes when he finally said the word "date."

This coming on the heels of last week's episode was two really funny eps in a row.  I think they've hit their stride.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Bad news, then-W&G is moving to 9:30 in January when B99 starts up and will be in the 9:00 slot.

Dammit. They should have B99 be in that slot and leave W & G alone.

That said, I'll be dvr'ing W & G. Staying with Murphy Brown live.

• Love 7
On 11/8/2018 at 11:04 PM, friendperidot said:

I thought when Avery opened the front door, he would catch them kissing, so it was a surprise when the judge came walking down the stairs!

On another note, I was thinking and Miles insisting that Pat go to the event with him could be considered sexual harassment. I know why Miles was insistent, it was his insecurities and he didn't realize Pat was gay, he just wanted a buddy to go to the event so he didn't have to be seen alone.

Yes! Something from Gypsy would have been nice. But then Murphy should have chimed in and her singing would ruin the moment. I'm afraid, I'm more like Murphy, can't carry a tune in a bucket!

In the context of the show, and in keeping with her character, I suspect Murphy hates show tunes.  :o)  On the other hand, this world could never have too much of Bette Midler singing.  Truly Divine.

• Love 7

I think Murphy's somewhat wacky wardrobe this time around is simply a reflection of the fact that they brought on Patricia Field (of "Sex and the City") to be the costume designer for the show. This is the same woman who put those oversized flower brooches on Sarah Jessica Parker so an oversized spider brooch seems of a piece with that.

• Love 11
58 minutes ago, ombelico said:

I think Murphy's somewhat wacky wardrobe this time around is simply a reflection of the fact that they brought on Patricia Field (of "Sex and the City") to be the costume designer for the show. This is the same woman who put those oversized flower brooches on Sarah Jessica Parker so an oversized spider brooch seems of a piece with that.

Well then, fire her ass immediately.  (But how do I really feel?)  I'm not big on kooky/quirky.  There's unique.  And then there's so off the wall you wondered if they dressed themselves in the dark?  I always suspected it was the latter with SJP's character.  Patricia Field may have had a moment in the late 1990's/early 2000's.  That moment has passed just like that big-ass flower brooch that SJP wore in the opening scene of the first SATC movie.  Anyway, back to Murphy.  I'd love to see a costume designer get creative with Murphy's under-the-desk wardrobe.  The jammie bottoms and giant bunny slippers were fun.  What other "I'm not dressing the part the viewers can't see" silliness could they do?  I *might* trust Patricia Field with that project.

• Love 5

I'm about the last person to comment on such things, but I loved Corky's/Katie's dress and Tyne's hair.

Loved the visual of MB coming out of the kitchen with a plate of hors d'oeuvres. Hey Judge and Murphy. Make room for me in front of the documentary. I'll bring my own drink, too.

Pat's Riddler suit + the upswept 'do....how could it not cross your mind that he might be gay? (By the way, did the actor lose weight? I remembered him being a little pudgy on "Atypical".)

"And I will be the wind beneath your wheelchair." 

This episode: Murphy Brown is what it was.

• Love 8
On 11/9/2018 at 12:04 AM, friendperidot said:

Something from Gypsy would have been nice. But then Murphy should have chimed in and her singing would ruin the moment. I'm afraid, I'm more like Murphy, can't carry a tune in a bucket!

Murphy ruining the moment would have been fantastic. Maybe it will happen another time

On 11/9/2018 at 2:38 AM, MsTree said:

Best episode (for me) so far... a reminder of the Murphy Brown I always loved. More fun, less politics.

On 11/9/2018 at 1:14 PM, Bruinsfan said:

This was the first episode that really felt like it was firing on all cylinders for me. Probably a combo of the cast finally shaking the cobwebs off, the lack of the A plot revolving around the politics/issue du jour for once, and Jim being featured in a much more prominent guest role.

This and last week have been the best episodes so far. Don't have an issue of the week. Just let the characters be funny and put politics in the background. 

On 11/9/2018 at 1:28 PM, Tanichka said:

Wouldn’t Miles know that his outfit was ridiculous?  ?He’s been around long enough to know what’s de rigueur.

Miles strikes me as the type he found a style he liked in the 1980s and would wear it forever. He isn't the type to keep up the latest trends, so if a young person tells him something is trendy, he's going to believe his younger co-worker. 

On 11/9/2018 at 2:42 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Actually, the whole episode was well done.  Jim not realizing he was on a date, then uncomfortable about considering it a date, then grieving Doris all over again, then realizing he actually wanted to be on a date, and not only that, but on a date with Phyllis.  Tyne Daly was awesome, I thought she looked great and her hair was amazing--as was her territorial showdown with Bette Midler.  Caprice only wanted Jim because he was the "man of the hour" and Phyllis wants Jim for Jim.  I loved Murphy's acceptance that Avery was going to date, then her realization that whoa, she could date too once she realized that the judge was hitting on her.  Frank fleeing the scene after realizing Katie and Corky were in the same dress, then Katie and Corky doing their hiss and spit and make nice for the camera routine, then ultimately bonding over foundation garments and burgers brought the funny.  Excellent episode.

Jim was much better in this episode than his previous one. The character felt more like Jim. He also looked better but I can't put my finger on why. Overall, this episode was winner on almost every level. I want to see more of Murphy and the judge. I would love a double date with Murphy and the judge and Avery and his girlfriend.  

• Love 14
20 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Jim was much better in this episode than his previous one. The character felt more like Jim. He also looked better but I can't put my finger on why. 

It's not just Jim. I thought all the original characters keep looking better and better with each episode and I can't put my finger on why either. I remember thinking a few episodes ago that Murphy's face look prettier than she did in the first episode.

• Love 3

As far as guys go, tuxes raise the game a lot for almost everyone. Except Miles and Pat, apparently.

1 hour ago, mojito said:

Pat's Riddler suit + the upswept 'do....how could it not cross your mind that he might be gay? (By the way, did the actor lose weight? I remembered him being a little pudgy on "Atypical".)

The clothes Pat wore in the election night episode after shedding Miles' mini-me outfit screamed flamboyantly gay club kid to me, so it seemed like they were already headed this way with him rather than generically nerdy/hipster Indian-American as it had appeared earlier in the season. Did he say anything that hinted either way during the #Me Too episode?

• Love 4

I wanted to chime in on the love for John Larroquette.  I've had a crush on him since "Night Court."  Anyone else remember his ill-fated NBC series?  It had a great original premise.  He was the overnight manager of a bus station in downtown St. Louis.  Then the network wonks got their hands on it, homogonized the concept and...blam-o:  cancellation before you could say "please don't kill this show."  Smart, funny, sensitive...yeah.  Hold on to this one, Murphy (and writers and producers). 

• Love 23
On 11/9/2018 at 12:02 AM, dankesean said:

I found this the most enjoyable episode of the revival to date. My one complaint:
You have Bette Midler and Tyne Daly not just in the same episode, but interacting with each other. YOU FIND AN EXCUSE TO HAVE THEM BURST INTO SONG, dammit!

That would've been awesome!

Aside from that oversight, this was episode was just a delight. I'm always happy to see John Laroquette, so I really hope this relationship takes off.  

2 hours ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

I wanted to chime in on the love for John Larroquette.  I've had a crush on him since "Night Court."  Anyone else remember his ill-fated NBC series?  It had a great original premise.  He was the overnight manager of a bus station in downtown St. Louis.  Then the network wonks got their hands on it, homogonized the concept and...blam-o:  cancellation before you could say "please don't kill this show."  Smart, funny, sensitive...yeah.  Hold on to this one, Murphy (and writers and producers). 

Ditto - Dan Fielding, so wrong yet so right! I liked The John Laroquette Show too, as well as his turn on the (sadly) recently-canceled "The Librarians".

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

That, and her little interlude with Frank when she said she was already drunk finally settled for me that the character reminds me of Portia de Rossi's Veronica from my beloved Better Off Ted.  If they can give her more of that kind of really short, sharp, funny stuff once or twice in an episode, she'll be a winner in my book.

I LOL'd at Murphy's drive-by laughter at Miles's tuxedo too.  Poor thing.  Corky and Katie Couric snapping to pageant attention for the paps was very funny as well, and their agreement to unzip and get burgers afterward was cute.

I liked Avery's romantic subplot, from his grilling Murphy about needing companionship, to his leading with his date's resume when they met at the gala, to the awkward foursome at the front door, and them sneaking away at the end.  I didn't know that the actors are a couple in real life though; that's pretty adorable.

Both Bette Midler and John Larroquette were absolute gold.  I am here for seeing both of them reoccur responsibly.

Jim and Phyllis's storyline was very sweet.  I loved Jim's face and eyes when he finally said the word "date."

This coming on the heels of last week's episode was two really funny eps in a row.  I think they've hit their stride.

Pretty much agree with all of this, and I LOVED Better Off Ted! Veronica was a force to be reckoned with, but I could see Diana being a Veronica-lite, which would be quite enjoyable.

• Love 2

This episode was great, and I think it may be because a lot of it (except for the Avery subplot) could have taken place in a previous season of the show. The FYI gang attends an awards dinner, and hijinks ensue (with a sprinkling of a wacky former-secretary character to boot). They weren't contorting themselves to fold in a bunch of up-to-the-minute political stuff, so the story could just breathe. Avery's girlfriend was a great match for Murphy, and I really hope we see more of the Judge and Murphy together. The attraction between Jim and Phyllis is so sweet - it's too bad that Charles Kimbrough isn't well enough to be in more episodes, but it's great that he's able to be there when he can. Jim, Jim, Jim!

• Love 15

catsandmorecats: The first season of THE JOHN LARROQUETTE SHOW

Argh. Fingers...and no edit button here. (I don't know why)....what I started to say was that THE JOHN LARROQUETTE SHOW's first season was one of the finest depictions I've ever seen of alcoholic recovery. And the darkness of it was great: the bus station, the other characters. I remember in one episode they cast June Lockhart as his con artist mother. In the second season they started lightening up the show, and the magic left soon afterwards.

• Love 10

Ditto the John Larroquette love. I’ve always liked him in everything he’s appeared in from comedy to drama. I’d love to see him as a regular love interest for Murphy. 

It would be also be great for Analeigh Tipton to be a regular love interest for Avery. I loved Manhattan Love Story and their chemistry there. 

• Love 9
On 11/10/2018 at 7:47 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Did he say anything that hinted either way during the #Me Too episode?

In the #MeToo episode, the way Pat was so excited about the lecture/workshop made me thinkg he was straight. 

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:29 PM, wendyg said:

catsandmorecats: The first season of THE JOHN LARROQUETTE SHOW

Argh. Fingers...and no edit button here. (I don't know why)....what I started to say was that THE JOHN LARROQUETTE SHOW's first season was one of the finest depictions I've ever seen of alcoholic recovery. And the darkness of it was great: the bus station, the other characters. I remember in one episode they cast June Lockhart as his con artist mother. In the second season they started lightening up the show, and the magic left soon afterwards.

Yes one of the best shows in season one and then they messed with it. 

• Love 2

Am I the only one who saw Katie Couric with Corky in this episode and instantly remembered her appearing on the original show at Murphy's baby shower with other female morning co-hosts, which Corky herself planned? ("Oh, look who's here! America's Sweetheart...after ME!") 

• Love 6

As I'm not sure whether the show will be getting a second season and I am not a big fan of the forced political element, I had kind of drifted away, but I watched this one as I had wanted to see Bette Midler's cameo (she turned out to have a lot more to do than I had expected). Overall I thought it was pretty enjoyable. 

I still think that Murphy's home life is much more compelling than her being back in the media business - the strains to write for Frank, Corky and Miles don't help. Murphy and Avery continue to be a great mother/son duo, and Candice Bergen had effortless chemistry with John Larroquette (I didn't know he was even going to be on here). 

Jim's speech was a beautiful little thing, also working as a tribute to the show itself, and to Charles Kimbrough's career. The focus on his moving on with his life after losing Doris was tastefully done, with a lovely understated performance from Tyne Daly. 

I'm not a huge Katie Couric fan, but her catty digs with Corky amused me.

At first I could only roll my eyes at Miles and I was a bit annoyed that Pat's role in the episode amounted to long-suffering gay pal/lol people think the main character is gay, as it felt very '90s sitcom, but they made up for that with having the hot makeout session between Pat and his ex, which wasn't something I saw on many '90s sitcoms...

• Love 2

Rewatching this one and I just want to give a shoutout to Avery's line about Murphy being able to hear him and his girlfriend because "she has the ears of a fruit bat." This is the same thing Murphy said about baby Avery, and how he would wake up if there was any sound: "He's got the ears of a Peruvian fruit bat!" I've always loved that line and loved the throwback here.

• Love 14
On 11/13/2018 at 6:00 PM, UYI said:

Am I the only one who saw Katie Couric with Corky in this episode and instantly remembered her appearing on the original show at Murphy's baby shower with other female morning co-hosts, which Corky herself planned? ("Oh, look who's here! America's Sweetheart...after ME!") 

Ha, no, I don't remember that, because I generally don't remember specific plots from old show episodes; but, strangely, one of the bits I remember very specifically from the original opened with "Devil With a Blue Dress" with Murphy prepping in the morning, getting dressed in a blue dress, making her way to work, obviously feeling she looked great, arriving at work...and there was Corky with the same exact dress, reacting all "Isn't this a HOOT?"  Funny that it got turned around on her in this one!

• Love 4