Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E07: A Lifetime of Achievement

I like Lauren :). Her reactions to the awkwardness at the end of the episode were great. And I liked her initial meeting with Murphy. I also loved Diana's reaction to Miles' suit :p. And the stuff with Corky and Katie Couric was good, too. Especially the ending, with them wanting to hang out together. 

Also, aw, Pat and that guy!

• Love 24
4 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

The only *clunk* was Miles' tux - it was just TOO awful. But I loved Murphy's reaction!

I wish he had fired back at her-- what was she wearing?!?

Other than Murphy's wardrobe, I think the revival is definitely hitting its stride. Pat has really grown on me.

• Love 9

Good episode. A nice break from politics. I liked all the guest stars.

I like Avery more and more with each episode. And he's not too hard on the eyes.

Were we supposed to know Pat is gay before tonight? I didn't. LOL at Miles driving the car while Pat and the waiter were making out in the back seat.

• Love 19
2 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Were we supposed to know Pat is gay before tonight? I didn't. LOL at Miles driving the car while Pat and the waiter were making out in the back seat.

I don't think it was mentioned, but I knew the actor is gay (he did a stand-up performance on Late Night and he talked about it) so I wasn't surprised they went with that.

• Love 6

Excellent episode tonight!

Didn't know Pat was gay.

Murphy's dress was wonderful except for that huge spider brooch.

Loved the awards dinner, Jim, Jim and Phyllis, Katie and Corkie wearing the same dress than going out for burgers, John L. as the judge and the awkward morning after.

Please more Judge and Murphy.

• Love 23

I didn't either, I have to be hit over the head with it before I notice. But I prefer it, I kind of like people just being people ("People, people who need people"...sorry, that just came out of nowhere) and being whatever else they are.

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I liked Murphy's outfit at the awards, especially the spider pin :).

As an arachnophobe, it freaked me the hell out.

I laughed many times and loved the final scene.  I hope that we see more of Lauren and John Laroquette.

Add me to the list of people that had no idea that Pat is gay.

Edited by AEMom
Typo
  • Love 18
2 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I couldn't keep my eyes off the spider pin. It was well made but........spider. 

Fair enough. I just liked it since it fit the time of year. Nice and festive. I'm no fan of spiders either to be honest, but I love autumn and Halloween.

1 minute ago, AEMom said:

As an arachnaphobe, it freaked me the hell out.

I laughed many times and loved the final scene.  I hope that we see more of Lauren and John Laroquette.

Add me to the list of people that had no idea that Pat is gay.

I hope we see more of them as well. They did a great job.

Same here. Had no idea he was.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 6
44 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Great episode tonight.  Ha--I didn't see that last scene coming.  I really thought Murphy would mull over John Larroquette's offer of coffee and call him back that night or something.

I didn't either lol. Pretty much was in the same boat as Avery and his girlfriend in terms of how they felt seeing Murphy and the judge together. Awkward XD. I thought so too. It was a nice switcheroo.

• Love 6

Great episode tonight.  Ha--I didn't see that last scene coming.  I really thought Murphy would mull over John Larroquette's offer of coffee and call him back that night or something.

I thought when Avery opened the front door, he would catch them kissing, so it was a surprise when the judge came walking down the stairs!

On another note, I was thinking and Miles insisting that Pat go to the event with him could be considered sexual harassment. I know why Miles was insistent, it was his insecurities and he didn't realize Pat was gay, he just wanted a buddy to go to the event so he didn't have to be seen alone.

You have Bette Midler and Tyne Daly not just in the same episode, but interacting with each other. YOU FIND AN EXCUSE TO HAVE THEM BURST INTO SONG, dammit!

Yes! Something from Gypsy would have been nice. But then Murphy should have chimed in and her singing would ruin the moment. I'm afraid, I'm more like Murphy, can't carry a tune in a bucket!

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 9

Were we supposed to know Pat is gay before tonight? I didn't

I didn't either.  I wasn't aware the actor was gay (I don't pay attention to those things), but it was a bit of a surprise to me to take the character there.  I could have done without seeing him and his ex macking in the back of Miles' car.  Seemed rude and disrespectful - even though it was meant to be funny.

Loved seeing Jim again and it's nice that Doris got a mention.  It was very much in character for Jim when he mentioned two things:  that he was celebrating a big milestone without her, and that he was the black sheep of the family by eshewing suspenders in favor of a belt!  It was also sweet for him to acknowledge he was on a date with Phyllis and that it wasn't disrespecting Doris's memory.

Wasn't crazy about Avery's date - she was window dressing and a way to set up a gag with both him and his mom having overnight dates.  

He was subdued but I enjoyed seeing John Larroquette!  I wouldn't mind seeing him again.

Of all the returning past guests, no one guessed Bette Midler's secretary character would be one of them!  Interesting that she's now a majority shareholder in the network.  Does that mean we'll be seeing her again messing with the team?

Hilarious to see Katie Couric and Corky in their scenes.  Both looked fantastic and it was nice to see them team up for a burger!!

• Love 9

I have a deep love for John Larroquette so more, more, more! The two of them were great together.

8 hours ago, dankesean said:

I found this the most enjoyable episode of the revival to date. My one complaint:
You have Bette Midler and Tyne Daly not just in the same episode, but interacting with each other. YOU FIND AN EXCUSE TO HAVE THEM BURST INTO SONG, dammit!

Yes!!!!!!! Come on Diane English, you get Tyne, then you get Bette, and you don't have them sing?! Shame shame shame 

• Love 12

Corcky and Katie Couric were hilarious together.  I especially like they just wanted to get out of the damn dress and have a burger.

Loved Murphy and The Judge guy.  I have been a fan of John Larroquette since his Night Court days and I am still pissed that The Librarians got cancelled.  It was a fun little show.  He has great chemistry with CB.  I hope the show sticks with the pairing for a bit.

Loved Miles reaction to finding out Pat is gay.  I have known several older liberals who have had similar reactions to finding out a friend or colleague is gay.  Loved Miles driving with Pat and his boyfriend kissing it the back and asking if they wan music.  I thought that was hilarious.

That awkward moment when you are trying to sneak your girlfriend out of the house and you realize your single mother had a man sleep over as well.

• Love 10

Analeigh Lipton played Lauren and in real life she and Jake have been together for a couple years. This is third time that she has played his love interest on a tv show (Manhattan Love Story and Limitless).

• Love 6

The foursome at the end was great. Larroquette and Bergen have great chemistry...which if you don't get enough of on this show you can enjoy in the final two seasons of BOSTON LEGAL.

• Love 12

The fact that they put the show on Thursday's at 9:30, always signaled to me that they were not looking at Murphy Brown to be some ratings bonanza to carry the network in the same vain as Roseanne last season. For that, I believe they would have built their Monday night comedy line up around Murph.

• Love 4

I loved Phyllis' line when she came out and saw Caprice sitting next to Jim.  It was something along the line of being a former NYC traffic cop and knowing when someone was parked where they weren't supposed to be.

I'm glad MB is on Thursday night.  It's my must see TV night:  Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon, Mom and Murphy Brown.

• Love 12

Now that's more the Murphy Brown I know and love.  I have always adored Jim, so more of him, please!  And of John Larroquette, too.  I thought pretty much the whole episode was terrific.  Although I do question the idea that any self-respecting gay man would ever have worn the suit Miles was wearing.

Edited to ask: was that Analeigh Tipton playing Avery's date?  I really liked her too.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

If we’d seen Pat running into/making out with a female ex tonight, would people be saying, “I didn’t know Pat was straight”?  No; like Miles, it frequently happens only upon learning something other than straight.  Until we see characters in a romantic situation, they’re a blank canvas sexually, and may be gay, straight, bi, pan, whatever; straight shouldn’t be the default assumption.

Probably not, and we shouldn't assume everyone is straight.  I didn't really think about it one way or the other to be honest. 

But it's cool that he just is, like "oh, yeah, he's gay, whatever" if you know what I mean.  I thought the conversation with the waiter was funny, and kind of typical for running into an ex, with the added joy of Miles' suit.  And the scene in the car was hysterical.

2 hours ago, nilyank said:

Analeigh Lipton played Lauren and in real life she and Jake have been together for a couple years. This is third time that she has played his love interest on a tv show (Manhattan Love Story and Limitless).

Per my previous comment, I thought that was her.  She's come a long way since Top Model.  Didn't know that about her and the actor who plays Avery, but they did have good chemistry together.

• Love 5

This was the first episode that really felt like it was firing on all cylinders for me. Probably a combo of the cast finally shaking the cobwebs off, the lack of the A plot revolving around the politics/issue du jour for once, and Jim being featured in a much more prominent guest role. I think the moment of the night was Murphy's reaction to Miles' tux, that just said it all and was perfect. Also glad Murphy is putting herself out there for the possibility of a love life, though I wish time had allowed for her to have a lengthier conversation/more initial romantic chemistry with Laroquette's character before we found out they'd spent the night together.

Per Bastet's comment about characters' sexuality in general, I was a tiny bit disappointed that they pretty much established Avery as straight last night after not really being too definite up til now. But it's nice to have representation in Pat, and I liked that they leaned into him fitting a stereotype or two with that "How did you NOT know I'm gay?" comment to Miles.

I'm wondering, Diane showed up at the award event but the network didn't spring for a table even though Jim's longtime co-workers are still together on its morning show? Was she sitting at the group's table? Did she just chip in as an individual in solidarity or what?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Camera One said:

The show held up its 0.8 rating which is good.  Which is 6.1 million viewers.  For a CBS show I am not sure if that is good enough for a second season but it holds up well.

• Love 2

John Larroquette! I can't believe he was on the show. I'll watch him in anything. He and Murphy had really great chemistry. I loved the awkwardness of the morning after with all four of them. Great to see Jim again. I really liked his reaction to the word date and his talk with Murphy. It can't be easy to move on. But he did a good job trying.

• Love 10

As an arachnophobe, it freaked me the hell out.

Same here.

I honestly have no recollection of Bette Midler ever having a cameo on the show's original run. In fact I recently binge-watched a compilation of all the wacky secretaries Murphy Brown ever had on You Tube and Bette Midler was nowhere to be seen.

• Love 8

Grant Shaud really brought it last night.  His nervous awkwardness and the awful tux and his realization once again that his protegee Pat wasn't at all Miles2.0 was really well done. 

Actually, the whole episode was well done.  Jim not realizing he was on a date, then uncomfortable about considering it a date, then grieving Doris all over again, then realizing he actually wanted to be on a date, and not only that, but on a date with Phyllis.  Tyne Daly was awesome, I thought she looked great and her hair was amazing--as was her territorial showdown with Bette Midler.  Caprice only wanted Jim because he was the "man of the hour" and Phyllis wants Jim for Jim.  I loved Murphy's acceptance that Avery was going to date, then her realization that whoa, she could date too once she realized that the judge was hitting on her.  Frank fleeing the scene after realizing Katie and Corky were in the same dress, then Katie and Corky doing their hiss and spit and make nice for the camera routine, then ultimately bonding over foundation garments and burgers brought the funny.  Excellent episode.

And at the end, with Miles driving away with Pat and the waiter making out in the back seat?  That one scene more than any other shows how different our world is today from when Murphy Brown was originally on the air.  CBS would never have #1 had a gay character that wasn't a caricature to be made fun of, #2 normalized a gay character as fun and competent, and #3 shown two gay characters enthusiastically making out.  This ain't my grandpa's CBS anymore....

• Love 19
2 hours ago, my3sons said:

I loved Phyllis' line when she came out and saw Caprice sitting next to Jim.  It was something along the line of being a former NYC traffic cop and knowing when someone was parked where they weren't supposed to be.

I'm glad MB is on Thursday night.  It's my must see TV night:  Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon, Mom and Murphy Brown.

Same here. Only with Will and Grace and Murphy Brown.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Same here.

I honestly have no recollection of Bette Midler ever having a cameo on the show's original run. In fact I recently binge-watched a compilation of all the wacky secretaries Murphy Brown ever had on You Tube and Bette Midler was nowhere to be seen.

She was on the very last episode as Murphy's secretary. I can't remember if it was a 2-parter, or an hour episode, but it's broken into 2 parts in reruns and she's in the first part.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, nilyank said:

Aw, really? That's cool :). 

2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

And at the end, with Miles driving away with Pat and the waiter making out in the back seat?  That one scene more than any other shows how different our world is today from when Murphy Brown was originally on the air.  CBS would never have #1 had a gay character that wasn't a caricature to be made fun of, #2 normalized a gay character as fun and competent, and #3 shown two gay characters enthusiastically making out.  This ain't my grandpa's CBS anymore....

I was thinking the same thing. Yay, progress. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

If we’d seen Pat running into/making out with a female ex tonight, would people be saying, “I didn’t know Pat was straight”?  No; like Miles, it frequently happens only upon learning something other than straight.  Until we see characters in a romantic situation, they’re a blank canvas sexually, and may be gay, straight, bi, pan, whatever; straight shouldn’t be the default assumption.

During the first six episodes, I never even thought about Pat's sexuality. Unlike Nik Dodani's character in Atypical (who frequently makes his attraction to women abundantly clear), nothing that he'd said or done seemed indicative of any sexual orientation in particular.

I wasn't surprised to learn that Pat is gay (which occurred when I was in the studio audience for last week's recording of episode 10, Beat the Press), but I was surprised by his implication to Miles that this was obvious. I didn't assume that he was straight, but the dialogue left me wondering whether viewers were expected to assume that he was gay.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Callaphera said:

A Notorious RBG shoutout... on the same day I read a news article that she's in the hospital with broken ribs after a fall. Get better soon, you badass. 

Thankfully, the Notorious RBG was only hospitalized overnight. She’s out now, & apparently doing well. Given her age, & the fact she broke 3 ribs in the fall, the hospitalization was probably more of an “out of an abundance of caution” thing (the rib injury could cause/could have caused a collapsed lung, & who knows what else).

• Love 8
21 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I liked Murphy's outfit at the awards, especially the spider pin :).

LOL - I did a double-take on that humongous pin as well, but seriously thought it was an ant ready for a picnic. I am enjoying this show. I loved seeing Murphy with John Laroquette's character as I also enjoyed them on Boston Legal. It might be fun to see William Shatner or James Spader make an appearance as well.

• Love 9