Type keyword(s) to search

The Perfectionists - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Such an unceremonious end. Months of radio silence and then they just yank the plug. The show was ridiculous but it's not like anything at Freeform is high quality. It was fun watching Ali and Mona again and I was starting to enjoy Ava. The other two might have grown on me with time. More than anything it's kind of sad that the PLL universe is officially put to rest. 

Looking forward to Emison getting back together in a tweet, because you just know Marlene is going to do it. 

• Love 1

Well I hope Freeform now realises PLL is one of those shows that can't be spun off successfully, Ravenswood was an early cancelled mess as well. Even The Lying Game only lasted a couple of seasons. I looked at one ep and checked out, which is what I thought I would do and I wouldn't even have done that if it hadn't been for Mona. I hope JP finds good work. And SP, who's a good actress, though I can't stand her character. 

5 hours ago, marinaalexis said:

Perhaps an unpopular opinion (and one I would never dare express on any social media), but my one silver lining is that at least the PLL universe ended with Emison officially broken up and not even anywhere near reuniting. I'm sure the shippers are taking that just remarkably well. 😉

I hated both Alison and Emison so I'm not sad at all, but if I did like them I would be hopping mad that they broke up for random reasons for a spin off that lasted 10 episodes before getting unceremoniously dumped, so that Alison could potentially date someone. I do think Marlene will probably tweet them back together at some point though. 

• Love 1

Oh nooeeesssss !!!  Now we will never know who killed Nolan </sarcasm>

Or who the pig man in the sewers was.

Or how a college security outfit like Beacon Guard was able to afford its own satellite.

Or find out who 'The Professor' is.

Did Taylor kill her father ?

So many questions left unanswered -- which is pretty typical for a PLL show.

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, SadieT said:

Such an unceremonious end. Months of radio silence and then they just yank the plug. The show was ridiculous but it's not like anything at Freeform is high quality. It was fun watching Ali and Mona again and I was starting to enjoy Ava. The other two might have grown on me with time. More than anything it's kind of sad that the PLL universe is officially put to rest. 

Looking forward to Emison getting back together in a tweet, because you just know Marlene is going to do it. 

Oh, she's totally going to do it. "That was the plan all along guyssss!! #Emisonforever"

The part I bolded is what really gets me, too. I saw people online whining about this show to no end, but...it's PLL. It's a Freeform show. What did people expect? It is such an unbelievable bummer that the PLL world is forever closed on such an unresolved note. And although I'm sure they partially expected the cancellation, it also sucks that Janel and Sasha, who have played these roles for nearly a decade now, didn't get to say a proper goodbye to their characters.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, marinaalexis said:

Oh, she's totally going to do it. "That was the plan all along guyssss!! #Emisonforever"

The part I bolded is what really gets me, too. I saw people online whining about this show to no end, but...it's PLL. It's a Freeform show. What did people expect? It is such an unbelievable bummer that the PLL world is forever closed on such an unresolved note. And although I'm sure they partially expected the cancellation, it also sucks that Janel and Sasha, who have played these roles for nearly a decade now, didn't get to say a proper goodbye to their characters.

Haha she already confirmed they were “always endgame” and end up happily ever after with the twins in Rosewood. 

Yeah, like I have no issue with ridiculous shows as long as they don’t try to be anything else and I think The Perfectionists knew exactly what it was, and likely would have only grown into its own more as time went on. The show was silly and campy but this isn’t HBO, what did people expect? I think Freeform was too hasty in pulling the plug and should have given it at least another 10 episodes to see what it could have done. They owed it to the franchise at least with how successful the original was for them. Plus Ashley was supposed to guest star in season 2 and that would have likely given them a little boost in ratings. 

Anyway I’m kind of surprised Sofia Carson has yet to acknowledge the cancellation in any way. Almost everyone else in the cast (save Eli) has posted or commented on it but she seems to be avoiding all mention of it even though she’s typical very active on social media. I wonder if she’s upset about the way it all went down, or if she’s just waiting to put something together since she seems like the sentimental type. I’m kind of curious as to how much the cast knew before the news broke, like were they turning down jobs and opportunities  thinking they’d be back in Portland filming in the near future. 

Edited by SadieT
40 minutes ago, SadieT said:

Haha she already confirmed they were “always endgame” and end up happily ever after with the twins in Rosewood.

Yes, I just saw that lol! Anything to appease the shippers. It's not like we actually saw Emily eagerly divorcing Alison and Ali proceeding to move on with no remorse or anything. Of course the shippers are going to lord this over the rest of the fanbase as proof of an Emison endgame, but personally, I don't consider anything Marlene puts on her twitter to be anything more than silly fanservice, same as those ridiculous texting conversations they used to post. 

Possibly (yet another) controversial opinion, but I've always perceived Sofia as a little full of herself, so I'm not overly surprised that she hasn't posted anything. I wonder the same thing about the cast - I sure hope they've known for a while and have planned not to return. It would really suck if they'd had to pass up opportunities for long-term projects because they didn't know if they would still have contractual obligations to TP.

I truly agree with you that I think TP would have really come into its own in season 2. It had a rocky start finding it's footing and figuring out a good balance between remaining in the PLL world and becoming its own thing, but the last few episodes really seemed to start evening out. And the finale really set the stage for a great, solid mystery. It's really shameful that the network couldn't give it a fighting chance. They made so many huge mistakes in their promotion, it's like they gave up on it before it even really began.

1 hour ago, marinaalexis said:

I don't consider anything Marlene puts on her twitter to be anything more than silly fanservice, same as those ridiculous texting conversations they used to post. 

Same here. If it didn't happen during the show, it's not canon. If you have to post extra crap on twitter afterward to make up for gaps in the story, to explain WTF happened, or to give extra details then you're doing a shitty job writing and editing the show. It drove me crazy when the writers from Once Upon a Time would do the same thing. If it didn't air during the episode, then it's just fan fic from more famous people.

2 hours ago, SadieT said:

I’m kind of curious as to how much the cast knew before the news broke, like were they turning down jobs and opportunities  thinking they’d be back in Portland filming in the near future. 

I always feel bad when stuff like this happens (show gets canceled or a character is killed off unexpectedly), especially when we later find out that people were settling down. I remember someone on Lost (I'm 99% sure it was Ian Somerhalder) said he had just bought a house in Hawaii and then found out his character was being killed off. Something similar happened to Autumn Reeser. She bought a house in Hawaii and then Last Resort was canceled.

Upfronts is usually the deadline to officially renew or cancel a show (meaning if the show is not renewed, the cast members are released from their contracts so they can pursue other work), but I guess since The Perfectionists was part of the spring lineup, the deadline didn't apply? I still remember they had the cast of The Lying Game come to upfronts after S2 aired. At that point, the show had not been renewed or canceled but the cast was there promoting the show. Then in July, they officially canceled the show. So lame!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, marinaalexis said:

Possibly (yet another) controversial opinion, but I've always perceived Sofia as a little full of herself, so I'm not overly surprised that she hasn't posted anything. I wonder the same thing about the cast - I sure hope they've known for a while and have planned not to return. It would really suck if they'd had to pass up opportunities for long-term projects because they didn't know if they would still have contractual obligations to TP.

I truly agree with you that I think TP would have really come into its own in season 2. It had a rocky start finding it's footing and figuring out a good balance between remaining in the PLL world and becoming its own thing, but the last few episodes really seemed to start evening out. And the finale really set the stage for a great, solid mystery. It's really shameful that the network couldn't give it a fighting chance. They made so many huge mistakes in their promotion, it's like they gave up on it before it even really began.

I actually think Sofia seems really sweet and gracious and I’ve only ever heard nice things said about her (I’m on another entertainment forum where someone who worked on one of her Disney projects said she was super nice), and she was so gung-ho in her praise of the show and Marlene and seemed so happy to be a part of the PLL franchise, which is why I find her silence kind of odd and wonder if she’s pissed about something. Eli on the other hand just doesn’t seem the type to say much, but considering the huge gamble the show took with casting him as a complete unknown with no other credits to his name, he could probably throw them a public thank you. 

The kid who played Zach (I think) tweeted that he found out when the news broke online but I wonder if the main cast was at least given a heads up. Didn’t Janel post a pic with the caption “onward and upwards” or something a few hours before the story broke? I’m starting to wonder if that was a nod towards the cancelation and they were just given a bit of a heads up. 

7 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I always feel bad when stuff like this happens (show gets canceled or a character is killed off unexpectedly), especially when we later find out that people were settling down. I remember someone on Lost (I'm 99% sure it was Ian Somerhalder) said he had just bought a house in Hawaii and then found out his character was being killed off. Something similar happened to Autumn Reeser. She bought a house in Hawaii and then Last Resort was canceled.

Didn’t Sasha and her husband sell their house and move to Portland? Unless she just rented a place there and kept her place in California, but I do vaguely remember her talking about moving for the show, which kind of sucks to have gotten settled in a new city only to have to move again a few months later. 

Since it was such a long time coming I think most of the cast probably knew before the official confirmation but they might have had to turn down opportunities because of contracts. I hope they did have a heads up, there have been far too many casts in recent years who found out from SM at the same time as everyone else.

I am kind of surprised they didn't give this another 10 episodes, like Ravenswood they seem to have lost interest in it almost right away and unlike the original PLL there was no effort in promotion. Good Trouble does really low numbers and has a lot more network support. But when there was months of radio silence after the last ep it was basically a cancellation anyway.  

On 9/28/2019 at 9:26 PM, SadieT said:

Didn’t Sasha and her husband sell their house and move to Portland? Unless she just rented a place there and kept her place in California, but I do vaguely remember her talking about moving for the show, which kind of sucks to have gotten settled in a new city only to have to move again a few months later. 

According to this video, Sasha said she and her husband bought a place in Portland and were renovating it:

"Fun" fact, on the subject of Sasha's husband, for those who might not know: They met when Sasha was 12 and Hudson was between 18 and 19, and started publicly dating (though it's clear they were together even earlier) when she was 16 and he was 23.

tumblr_pafnbyMRMl1vrx2g5o1_500.jpg

5 hours ago, marinaalexis said:

"Fun" fact, on the subject of Sasha's husband, for those who might not know: They met when Sasha was 12 and Hudson was between 18 and 19, and started publicly dating (though it's clear they were together even earlier) when she was 16 and he was 23.

tumblr_pafnbyMRMl1vrx2g5o1_500.jpg

I don't care how mature Sasha was for her age - that's creepy.

16 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't care how mature Sasha was for her age - that's creepy.

That does seem a bit creepy, but I obviously don't know them so who knows? Maybe he was immature and she was mature? But 18 and 12 is still a really big difference.

I knew someone in high school who started dating a 20-something-year old when she was 14 or 15. The parents were totally cool with it, which always seemed odd to me. But (last I heard) they are still together 20 years later. So creepy-sounding situations can work sometimes.

Regarding the house, it seems kind of risky to buy a house in a new city when you don't know whether your show will be a success or not. Especially Portland, where there aren't tons of TV shows like you might see elsewhere. They must have really just wanted to buy one to work on.

2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

That does seem a bit creepy, but I obviously don't know them so who knows? Maybe he was immature and she was mature? But 18 and 12 is still a really big difference.

I knew someone in high school who started dating a 20-something-year old when she was 14 or 15. The parents were totally cool with it, which always seemed odd to me. But (last I heard) they are still together 20 years later. So creepy-sounding situations can work sometimes.

I tried to convince myself of this for a long, long time, because I really don't like passing judgment on people I don't know. But when it comes down to it, this was the equivalent of a sophomore in high school dating someone old enough to have a graduate degree. It really doesn't matter how mature Sasha was - she was still, essentially, a child when they went public with their relationship, and undoubtedly a child when they met. There is a gigantic developmental difference between a teenager and someone in their mid-twenties. It's predatory no matter which way you look at it, and it's obvious that he was grooming her from a fairly young age.

Her parents also seem to have always been totally and oddly fine with it, to the extent that they even took him on family vacations with them. There are actually pictures that they took of their fifteen year old daughter lying in a bikini next to this grown man. It's extremely disturbing, probably more so to me as an educator. It's just not something I can justify or try to explain away, even from the little I know.

• Love 2

So I refused to watch this show when it was on because I knew Emison would have to be broken up for it and also because after 7 years of Marlene's PLL insanity I knew better than to sign on for more.

But then yesterday I was lying on my bed watching something else on Hulu, and it ended and Perfectionists started auto-playing (sigh, Hulu knows me) and I couldn't get up from the bed because the cat was on my lap at the time. So I picked up a book instead and swore to myself that I would ignore the computer. Of course that didn't work and I was sucked in by Mona and Ali and Marlene's usual crazy, and now I want to watch the rest of the show. But I know it was cancelled, so my question is: Was there enough resolution (did they know they weren't being renewed?) or did it simply end with everything unresolved and giant cliffhangers?

6 hours ago, Black Knight said:

So I refused to watch this show when it was on because I knew Emison would have to be broken up for it and also because after 7 years of Marlene's PLL insanity I knew better than to sign on for more.

But then yesterday I was lying on my bed watching something else on Hulu, and it ended and Perfectionists started auto-playing (sigh, Hulu knows me) and I couldn't get up from the bed because the cat was on my lap at the time. So I picked up a book instead and swore to myself that I would ignore the computer. Of course that didn't work and I was sucked in by Mona and Ali and Marlene's usual crazy, and now I want to watch the rest of the show. But I know it was cancelled, so my question is: Was there enough resolution (did they know they weren't being renewed?) or did it simply end with everything unresolved and giant cliffhangers?

There's no resolution. It didn't seem like they expected to be cancelled at all. The main mystery remains unsolved and it looks like the writers intentionally left a lot of threads undone, probably thinking they'd have time to fix things. Marlene has claimed she'll eventually do a podcast to tie up loose ends but it's been a while since she's said that and nothing has come of it. I still enjoyed the season but I do wish we got some answers. 

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, SadieT said:

There's no resolution. It didn't seem like they expected to be cancelled at all. The main mystery remains unsolved and it looks like the writers intentionally left a lot of threads undone, probably thinking they'd have time to fix things. Marlene has claimed she'll eventually do a podcast to tie up loose ends but it's been a while since she's said that and nothing has come of it. I still enjoyed the season but I do wish we got some answers. 

We still don't know what was with the guy in the pig mask in the sewer.  That actually happened.

3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

We still don't know what was with the guy in the pig mask in the sewer.  That actually happened.

Of course there's a pretty good chance that we never would have found out even if the show went 10 seasons.

• LOL 2