Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Avatar: The Last Airbender (2020)

If it wasn't for you posting these threads I'd miss out on a lot of shows. ?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I loved the original series and, I wouldn't mind a direct continuation. I didn't like the Korra series, couldn't get past the first couple of episodes. 

I'm worried that this will just be a live action retred but, if it goes further, dealing with post war stuff (rebuilding, finding Zuku's mom, etc) I'll probably be interested.

BTW I just looked up the original cast...holy crap Mark Hamil was Firelord Ozai!

• Like 3

I know, right? I sometimes forget how hella talented Hamill has been with voice acting all this time. I always got a giggle out of Mae Whitman as Katara. You know… her?

And Jason Isaacs, aka Lucius Malfoy, was Zhao. I never would have known since his American accemt (er, whatever accent is common-tongue in the Avatar world) is so good.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 6:04 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I loved the original series and, I wouldn't mind a direct continuation.

What has been announced so far is this is a live-action remake of the original series, not (to start) a continuation. I suppose it's possible if it's very successful it would go on longer (or cover more events in the same time period) as the original.

Quoting my post from the Shows In Development thread, with link to the original announcement:

On 9/18/2018 at 2:19 PM, Trini said:

I could have sworn we had an Avatar forum here...

‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ Live-Action Series In Works At Netflix

The original creators being involved is a good sign. I'm assuming that they're going to be aiming for something closer to "PG-13"; and maybe have less filler. Otherwise, I'm not sure how much a re-do of the animated series can add; it was pretty close to perfect. Better visuals, too, I guess.

We can’t wait to realize Aang’s world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast.

Let's all just pretend the movie never happened, mmmmkay.

My only regret is that I only came into the Avatar fandom well after it originally aired; I believe I jumped in during the hiatus of seasons 1 and 2 of Korra, which I didn't like. It'll be exciting to experience the show in a more serial week to week format along with everyone else. I'm definitely hyped.

• Like 2

I didn't discover Avatar until a decade after it had ended, so I was clueless about the Great Shipping Wars until I ventured online, and damn! Talk about scary. I can't imagine how virulent it all must have been while the show was still airing. Really hope that doesn't have to be a factor this time around, nothing like shipping wars to ruin the fun of an online fandom.

I'm so wary of this remake, partially because the movie showed how easy it is to spectacularly fail, and partially because the original series itself was so perfect. How can they top it? It's reassuring knowing that Mike and Bryan are involved, but still. Animation really allowed for the wonder of the world to come through, and I'm not sure that live action can capture that, even with the best special effects and top notch actors.

And speaking of, the voice actors so perfectly embodied their characters that I don't know how I can accept anyone else. Their work is just iconic. How can I have someone supposed to be Zuko if he doesn't sound like Dante Basco? How can we possibly have a Sokka that doesn't bring Jack DeSena's flair and humor to the dialogue? How can anyone other than Jessie Flower bring Toph's arrogance and vulnerability to life? I guess time will tell, but still. Why remake perfection?

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

nothing like shipping wars to ruin the fun of an online fandom.

For me, the problem was less the shipping wars in fandom but the ship baiting that creeped into the story. It was clear the writers had a specific endgame in mind, but they enjoyed too much toying with the shippers that both aligned and were against that endgame and it corrupted the story. It soured me off the entire series, and it's never been able to recapture the same joy. And you can tell that they started Korra with the same shipping-attitude in mind which is why it's... what it is... a pale shadow of the original.

• Like 1