Type keyword(s) to search

Avatar: The Last Airbender (2024) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I know, right? I sometimes forget how hella talented Hamill has been with voice acting all this time. I always got a giggle out of Mae Whitman as Katara. You know… her?

And Jason Isaacs, aka Lucius Malfoy, was Zhao. I never would have known since his American accemt (er, whatever accent is common-tongue in the Avatar world) is so good.

• Love 2
On 11/8/2018 at 6:04 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I loved the original series and, I wouldn't mind a direct continuation.

What has been announced so far is this is a live-action remake of the original series, not (to start) a continuation. I suppose it's possible if it's very successful it would go on longer (or cover more events in the same time period) as the original.

Quoting my post from the Shows In Development thread, with link to the original announcement:

On 9/18/2018 at 2:19 PM, Trini said:

I could have sworn we had an Avatar forum here...

‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ Live-Action Series In Works At Netflix

The original creators being involved is a good sign. I'm assuming that they're going to be aiming for something closer to "PG-13"; and maybe have less filler. Otherwise, I'm not sure how much a re-do of the animated series can add; it was pretty close to perfect. Better visuals, too, I guess.

• Like 1

We can’t wait to realize Aang’s world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast.

Let's all just pretend the movie never happened, mmmmkay.

My only regret is that I only came into the Avatar fandom well after it originally aired; I believe I jumped in during the hiatus of seasons 1 and 2 of Korra, which I didn't like. It'll be exciting to experience the show in a more serial week to week format along with everyone else. I'm definitely hyped.

• Love 3

I didn't discover Avatar until a decade after it had ended, so I was clueless about the Great Shipping Wars until I ventured online, and damn! Talk about scary. I can't imagine how virulent it all must have been while the show was still airing. Really hope that doesn't have to be a factor this time around, nothing like shipping wars to ruin the fun of an online fandom.

I'm so wary of this remake, partially because the movie showed how easy it is to spectacularly fail, and partially because the original series itself was so perfect. How can they top it? It's reassuring knowing that Mike and Bryan are involved, but still. Animation really allowed for the wonder of the world to come through, and I'm not sure that live action can capture that, even with the best special effects and top notch actors.

And speaking of, the voice actors so perfectly embodied their characters that I don't know how I can accept anyone else. Their work is just iconic. How can I have someone supposed to be Zuko if he doesn't sound like Dante Basco? How can we possibly have a Sokka that doesn't bring Jack DeSena's flair and humor to the dialogue? How can anyone other than Jessie Flower bring Toph's arrogance and vulnerability to life? I guess time will tell, but still. Why remake perfection?

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

nothing like shipping wars to ruin the fun of an online fandom.

For me, the problem was less the shipping wars in fandom but the ship baiting that creeped into the story. It was clear the writers had a specific endgame in mind, but they enjoyed too much toying with the shippers that both aligned and were against that endgame and it corrupted the story. It soured me off the entire series, and it's never been able to recapture the same joy. And you can tell that they started Korra with the same shipping-attitude in mind which is why it's... what it is... a pale shadow of the original.

• Love 2

Reminder: this topic is for the new live-action Avatar: the Last Airbender on Netflix, not the Nickelodeon animated series.

As the new show is purportedly a remake, not a continuation, content from the animated show are potential spoilers for the live-action show and do not belong in this topic.

I've heard rumours that they wanted to age up the characters, wanted to make the series "darker", opened up casting to white actors, etc. Take all of that with a grain of salt but I definitely wouldn't want that for ATLA as that's not the heart of the show. I mean, it's plenty dark enough with pre-teens in the middle of an all out WAR, thanks.

Edited by Valerie
  • Love 1

I was really dubious about a live action version in the first place... but now with those rumors* and no Bryan and Mike... no thanks. I'll happily stick with the original, which IMO is pretty close to perfect as is. I wonder if this adaptation will even get off the ground anyway.

* If there's even a kernel of truth to any of them it's a dealbreaker in my book

• Love 1

I genuinely hope those rumors aren't true, especially when I am not completely sold on a live action series in the first place.

On 11/16/2018 at 5:25 AM, ursula said:

I hope so too. Ship baiting ruined season 3 for me.

I wouldn't say it ruined it for me but it did make it less enjoyable. I didn't find season 3 to be as strong as seasons 1 and 2 and the ship baiting didn't help.

I found the secondary couples to be underdeveloped and unbalanced with the girls being more devoted to the relationship than the guys. If there is a live action series, I hope they forget about the ship baiting and work on making those romances more well-rounded instead.

• Love 1

I've enjoyed watching the animated original again on netflix.

Is this still going to be worked on without Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko or is the whole concept going to be scrapped altogether? At this rate it will probably by 2022 before we see a live action adaptation. 

More casting announcements

image.png.bbde5f292f18bda63bbffd5a7acb29a7.png

Elizabeth Yu (“All My Love”), plays Azula, the daughter of Fire Lord Ozai and sister to Zuko. She’s a fire-bending prodigy and relentless perfectionist who will stop at nothing to secure her position as the heir to the throne. 

Maria Zhang will play Suki, the leader of an elite female fighting force known as the Kyoshi Warriors. 

Yvonne Chapman (“Family Law”) will play the legendary warrior Avatar Kyoshi, revered for her bravery, fearsome fighting skills and uncompromising dedication to the cause of justice.

image.png.80fbfa9ec025f5ef71c8d432ac375266.png

Tamlyn Tomita (“Cobra Kai”) will play Suki’s mother Yukari, the fiercely protective mayor of Kyoshi Island.  

Finally, Casey Camp-Horinek (“Reservation Dogs”) will play Gran Gran, the compassionate matriarch of the Southern Water Tribe and Katara and Sokka’s grandmother.

• Useful 2
On 8/17/2020 at 5:49 PM, Valerie said:

I've heard rumours that they wanted to age up the characters, wanted to make the series "darker", opened up casting to white actors, etc. Take all of that with a grain of salt but I definitely wouldn't want that for ATLA as that's not the heart of the show. I mean, it's plenty dark enough with pre-teens in the middle of an all out WAR, thanks.

It's hard to find good child actors. With animation you can get away with having kids and just have them be voiced by adaults or at least older kids. You can do a lot more takes and there is not as much of a problem with child labor laws, as voice acting doesn't take as much time.

So I totally get why you'd want to age the cast up a bit for a live action version.

Also weren't the air nomads pretty white? That's not what we'd associate with basically buddhist monks in our world, but ATLA mixed up the races in general.

4 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Also weren't the air nomads pretty white? That's not what we'd associate with basically buddhist monks in our world, but ATLA mixed up the races in general.

Generally depicted as paler than the other nations? Yes. White? No.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

What were they then?

Well, the series is set in a fantasy world mostly based on various Asian, First Nations, and Native American cultures, so I don't think 'White' people are even supposed to exist there. It seems like Airbenders are based on Tibetan monks. 

• Love 2

I'm not sure what you mean, but an internet search on the cultures in A:TLA might be more helpful to you than me. They are clearly Asian (like nearly everyone else) as far as I can see.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Not a dealbreaker or anything like that, but I think I prefer the way the movie interpreted Aang's tattoos. I just think that 'big blue arrow on the forehead' works better in 2D, and maybe literally translating that on an actual human isn't the best look. However, close-up, I can see they did add some detail so it's not just flat blue paint on the actor's head.

Just one other nitpick: Zuko doesn't look scarred enough? I guess they didn't want to bother with prosthetics. Other than that, looks good so far!

• Like 1

Somehow I've only just now noticed that Utkarsh Ambudkar (Jay from Ghosts) is playing Bumi! Perfect casting, he'll be a lot of fun. And Meegwun Fairbrother was excellent in Burden of Truth, he'll make a good Avatar Kuruk - hopefully they'll flesh out the character more than the original. Though with no offense to Mr. Takei, it's too bad they didn't get Erik Todd Dellums back as Koh. Damn does that man have a voice!

Still side-eying this remake, but gotta admit, I'm getting more and more excited.

No thoughts yet?

The trailer already looks way better than M. Night Shyamalan's monstrosity. I hope I'm right. Looks like a lot of rehashing of the show - there's Kyoshi island, Omashu, the Firelord's palace, and other familiar places from the Avatar world.

There's so many routes they could, I just hope the dialogue holds up because ATLA is one of my favorite shows of all time and live action remakes are generally either hit or miss. Avatar had stellar writing thanks to Aaron Ehasz and a perfect mix of humor, warmth, and action. 

Aesthetically I'm pleased so far (CGI Momo and Appa notwithstanding). But there's not a lot you can gauge from a teaser trailer. 

The royal family casting is on point and Katara and Sokka's casting is so-so, Katara mainly looks really young to me. 

I'm excited for this!

• Like 3

I'm simultaneously excited and wary. I still don't really think this remake is necessary, because the original is pretty much perfect, and is one of my two very favorite shows of all time so please don't fuck it up, but also... parts of this look kinda awesome? Omashu, the Kyoshi warriors, and the Fire royals really stood out to me in this trailer. Appa and Momo are definitely the weak points CGI wise, but if TPTB can still capture the creatures' personalities then I'll overlook iffy CG. I agree with Overtherainbow that what makes ATLA such an incredible story is the heart and the humor, and if this version can capture that then it might just work after all.

I'm guessing the voiceover is Roku?

• Like 4