Type keyword(s) to search

Two And A Half Men - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I have no sympathy for Charlie.  When someone goes off the rails like Charlie did, they're not just hurting themselves but everyone involved with the show.  Did he expect Lorre to just shut the show down until Charlie sobered up?  Replace him temporarily?  "You gonna show up this week, Charlie?  No?  Well, we'll do the best we can without you."  Bullshit.

But I don't like that the finale focused on Charlie.  In a way, Charlie did win at the end.  It was all about him. 

• Love 9

IMO That was one of the better series finales I've seen over the years.  

The first bit sort of plodded along, but after it left the main road and veered off into whatthefuckland, the finale worked.

There were definitely a lot of tongues planted firmly in cheeks (as opposed to where they're usually lodged on this show), but I liked that it didn't take itself seriously.  At. All.

Tonight had a bit of everything (and everyone).....  

-- Cameos of all (save Herb) the former principal cast members?  Check.

-- Rose's oft-repeated, "Uh-oh" one more time?  

-- One last night of Jake's excruciatingly stupid jokes?  Check.  

-- Kandi still on Stiffs, and still dumb as a sack of hair?  Check.  

-- Breaking the fourth wall?  Check.  

-- Using humor rather than bitterness to allude to certain *ahem* infamous real-life events?  Check.

Lastly, having a lot of campy fun and, even better, the cast and crew taking the piss out of one another and, even better, taking taking the piss out of the viewing audience?  Check and mate. 

A couple of personal observations (and a couple of nitpicks):

-- It was clearly obvious that was a stunt double approaching the front door.  They might have pulled it off if they'd pulled back a little further for the shot.

-- Judith still being a bitter bitch.  I would have really liked to see her get her comeuppance as no one on the show was more deserving of it after all the hell she put Alan.

-- The stupid butt plug and sex doll jokes.  It seemed like they were shoehorned into the script, and the deliveries of those particular lines were clunky and forced.

- Liked the Silence of the Lams dungeon itself (though Rose's lines referencing the infamous lotion-in-the-basket scene didn't quite work -- now that I think about it, M. Lynskey lacked the spark and self-deprecating humor that made her character work, and it affected her entire performance.

-- Literally cracked up with laughter when Ahnold asked Alan if Charlie had tried anger management and Alan replied "Yes, but it didn't work." (or whatever the barb was).  Because that show?  Suuuuucked.

-- Snorted with laughter at the use of Charlie's infamous drug-addled Tiger Blood rant as a text to Walden.

-- Glad that as soon as Chuck Lorre turned around and said "Winning!," another piano landed on him as well.  Without it, the campiness of this episode would have vanished in a puff of (pot) smoke. 

I know there's more to mention, but until I can perhaps watch it again On-Demand, it's difficult to recall all I wanted to comment about.  

When Charlie left the show, I gave S9 several tries but gave up as it was too far gone without him, even if he was a sodden door knob during S8.  I have kept an eye and and ear on things to have an idea of what was happening and decided to watch tonight to see how they'd wrap it all up.  It held my interest until it was over, only a couple of moments were cringeworthy (the stupid coke and bestiality references (Charlie Harper didn't even like to smoke pot), and found myself laughing both internally and literally way more than I'd anticipated, so overall I guess I thought it was a successful series finale.  

Most series finales for sitcoms suck, so color me surprised.  It was, for sure, better than the ones for both Cheers and Seinfeld, it thankfully avoided all the shmoopy, emotional dreck that was the finale for Friends, and it was in a different universe than the painfully god-awful finale for HIMYM  and the final episode of Roseanne.   

Edited by OriginalCyn
  • Love 2

Fabulous finale show. Lots of funny lines, inside jokes, good cameos and nice to see Jake. The pianos falling were brilliant. They really didn't need the real Sheen - the guy that was supposed to be him ringing the door bell was fine. Well done, Chuck Lorrie.

• Love 4

I didn't really like the actors staring at the cameras and all the comments about the series itself (like Rose mentioning the pilot). I was pretty shocked when the piano killed "Charlie", but maybe because I was expecting him to appear (actually I thought I had spoiled myself a little reading the last line of the subtitle file, the one that said Winning).

Read the vanity card too and I think it would have been a better idea going with the one Charlie supposedly proposed, too bad there won't be any The Harpers.

Most series finales for sitcoms suck, so color me surprised.  It was, for sure, better than the ones for both Cheers and Seinfeld, it thankfully avoided all the shmoopy, emotional dreck that was the finale for Friends, and it was in a different universe than the painfully god-awful finale for HIMYM  and the final episode of Roseanne.   

I actually liked the Friends finale; The alternate HIMYM finale is the real one for me; I LOVE the Cheers finale; and the only reason I don't like the Seinfeld finale is because it was full of inaccuracies (just two off the top of my head: Jerry was always trying to help Babu, it's not his fault the later couldn't see his intentions; and Susan was actually the one who made the bubble explode - The Bubble Boy was choking poor George!.)

Hated it! Rose was never funny! Stalkers aren't funny! Why would Charlie be mad at his brother and Walden? Just stupid! Chuck, we get it. You hate Charlie Sheen. Thanks for making the series finale a vanity project about how you hate him. His idea for a finale and spin-off was way better and the spin-off probably would have been one of the highest rated premieres in a long time. Worst. Finale. Ever!

Edited by metalgirl
  • Love 6

There were some laughs, and it was nice to include all those cameos from the past.  I was really surprised to see Jake back, since articles a few months back said he flat-out refused.  

Some of the breaking the fourth wall stuff were funny, but it got a bit too much towards the end.  I also didn't like the celebrity cameos if they had nothing to do with the show previously.  

The very last scene was... meh. 

Interview with Chuck Lorre.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/two-and-a-half-men-chuck-lorre-finale-charlie-sheen-1201437575/

If Charlie's character is officially dead.  I'm speculating about the other characters...

Jake is with his Japanese dancer (not Pole-ish dancer, ha ha) with $2M.  It'll all be spent in no time. 

Charlie's daughter Jenny will get Charlie's future music royalties. 

Rose will move on to stalk someone else.

Lyndsey and Alan are finally over. 

Alan will continue to live at the Malibu beach house.  However, the house was legally Charlie's property and not Walden's to buy.  Title insurance will give Walden his money back.  Walden moves to a new home with Louis. Maybe the house will eventually go to Jenny.

Alan will be evicted.  The End.

Edited by Beach Party

Meta much, Chuck? As a finale I thought it was better than HIMYM, Roseanne or Seinfeld, but that's damning with faint praise. While I did laugh at some of it, I also found the public display of spite and bitterness from Lorre disturbing and I cheered when that 2nd piano landed on him. I'm not sure I believe what Lorre put on the vanity card.

The show was well past its prime when Sheen had his meltdown; it really should have ended then. The next four years of "Alan walking around in his underwear" gags showed they had totally run out of material.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 2

Charlie's daughter Jenny will get Charlie's future music royalties. 

Something that the show seemed to seemed to miss was that Charlie's  WIDOW  Rose is the one that'll get the royalties. 

As it was the only part I liked was Ahnuld and Jake. And I dont know why they couldnt have comprised an at least given Charlie a less sucky ending.--not for him but for his fans

Edited by The Kings Foot

I loved it.  The breaking of the 4th wall was done well and the Police scene with  Arnold recapping the series and its events and the guys saying how unbelievable it ways, was very funny in my book.  I did miss Herb and thought the second time with Jake where they all looked at the camera was not necessary.  But It seemed Jake lost his marble mouth for this last scene with him. He seemed quite happy. 

• Love 2

The second half-hour might have been the most meta I've seen a show get (and that includes Supernatural.)  Some of it worked ("Did he try anger management?"), and some of it fell flat for me ("He started off normal, but got dumber over time, because that was funnier...") but it was a fitting way to go.

I liked that most of the supporting cast got a happy ending (and the actors got another day's work).  I didn't like the Charlie-in-a-pit escapes, and almost instantly knows about the royalty money--but I thought the running joke about how everyone could be bought was sort of funny.

I wanted Charlie Sheen to come back, and could have done without the piano drop.

• Love 2

It was funny until the part where CS didn't show up.

The vanity card:

“I know a lot of you might be disappointed that you didn’t get to see Charlie Sheen in tonight’s finale. For the record he was offered a role. Our idea was to haves him walk up to the front door in the last scene, ring the doorbell, then turn, look directly into the camera and go off on a maniacal rant about the dangers of drug abuse. He would then explain that these dangers only apply to average people. That he was far from average. He was a ninja warrior from Mars. He was invincible.

And then we would drop a piano on him. We thought it was funny. He didn’t.

Instead, he wanted us to write a heart-warming scene that would set up his return to primetime TV in a new sitcom called The Harpers starring him and Jon Cryer. We thought that was funny too.”

If the finally didn't cement my hatred of Chuck Lorre , this did.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this finale.  To me, it felt like the show lit a giant stick of dynamite and just took itself out.  All of the cheap shots at Sheen were bugging me at first but then all of the actors started taking shots at themselves along with the show and the writers.  This is coming from someone who hasn't watched this show since Sheen left, other than to tune into the first 2 episodes when Ashton showed up.  And yeah, there is definitely NO love lost between Lorre & Sheen. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 3

Most of the meta stuff felt overdone to me, until Jake showed up. The actors all nailed that look at the camera. Then they did it again. I lost it. All that goes to show is how much they spoiled a good set of comedic actors with some terrible writing over the past 4-8 years.

Also, Angus Jones was so clearly enjoying that scene that it was hard not to enjoy it with him. 

I actually like Anger Mangement. It's on in the mornings on weekends while we're doing household chores and it's decent. It suffers from very mixed writing, going from clever comedy to typical racist old white man jokes in an instant. 

• Love 3

Some of it worked ("Did he try anger management?"), and some of it fell flat for me ("He started off normal, but got dumber over time, because that was funnier...") but it was a fitting way to go.

That's how I felt too. Some of the inside jokes worked and some of them didn't. Some of them felt too forced, and there were too many of them.

But overall I thought it was a good effort and I appreciated all the guest stars and cameos, especially Jake. I'm guessing Ryan Stiles was busy doing something else because they went out of their way to bring back as many former characters as possible. 

I didn't like the ending though. I wanted more finality than Alan, Walden and Berta sitting on the deck smoking cigars. Did Alan and Lyndsey ever get married? It looked like she was selling the engagement ring he bought her so I'm guessing no. I guess we're to assume Alan just went on living rent free with Walden forever.

If the finally didn't cement my hatred of Chuck Lorre , this did.

I watched the show the first couple of seasons.  I watched the finale because I thought they would bring back CS.   Lorre showed no class with the finale.  It actually had me feel sympathy for Charlie Sheen.  

• Love 3

Last we saw of Kate (Walden's ex-girlfriend who became a fashion designer) was after she was considering getting back together with Walden.  She was leaving on an overseas business trip with her new investor, Rose.  I wondered about Kate and didn't see her in the finale.  Guess Rose got rid of her. 

About 15 years ago, I read a long Playboy interview with Charlie Sheen and he was such a vile human being and so offensive, a couple of his remarks are still fried into my brain.  (For example:  I was used to f*cking Playboy models, but after I blew through millions of dollars, I was reduced to f*cking a pregnant Mexican whore, who had cesarean scars--poor me.)

In the years since then--in spite of ALL his talent and connections and looks and quick wit (and $2M per episode for 2.5Men)--I've never seen any evidence suggesting he isn't that exact same guy. 

So I started watching 2.5Men after he got the boot.  The show wasn't very good, but it was all I could do to register an anti-Charlie Sheen vote.  Needless to say, I'm glad they didn't pay him to come back.

• Love 3

The show was built around Sheen's history being tied to Charlie Harper's character, it was only when Lorre worried Sheen would stop being profitable did he suddenly have a problem. He never took a moral stand, if it's true he wanted Charlie to do something about the dangers of drug abuse? Well, Charlie Harper pretty much mostly drank, right? Either way, Lorre kinda glofied the lifestyle as much as he could while he could ride the gravy train, having Charlie do that would only be serving the purpose of Lorre basically getting say he "won" against Sheen in real life, it would have nothing to do with the actual show itself. I don't believe at all the show would have ended with Charlie Harper changing his ways if Sheen never left. I would have said no to that, too.

The more I think about the finale, the more I think Jon Cryer, Ashton Kutcher and Birda (I can't think of the actresses name, sorry) really got screwed, Kutcher's years on the show weren't great, but I have no reason to disbelieve he didn't work hard and the other two have worked hard since episode one, and what do they get in return? The finale all about Charlie and Chuck's "revenge". Jon Cryer/Alan especially got screwed. Even Jake didn't give Alan a dime? Why? So he could remain in need of someone else... for what reason? The show is over, they couldn't finally give him some kind of decent ending? I guess that would have taken away from thinking up more Charlie jokes and learning how to actually write character growth.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 1

The show had crossed over into the actor's real lives (I'm guessing this is called 'breaking the fourth wall').  When Berta said she was calling it a career, I thought that might have been Conchata Ferrell announcing her own retirement.  She was on a Maude episode back in 1974 and has iMDb credits every single year through 2015!

The show had crossed over into the actor's real lives (I'm guessing this is called 'breaking the fourth wall').  When Berta said she was calling it a career, I thought that might have been Conchata Ferrell announcing her own retirement.  She was on a Maude episode back in 1974 and has iMDb credits every single year through 2015!

I still remember the first time I saw Conchata Ferrell when I was a kid.... she played a hooker (I didn't even know what that was) who hung out in the lobby on Hot L Baltimore.  Now I wonder if anyone else who was on that show (and I don't even remember who they were) is still working.

KYBlonde - IIRC, 2 or 3 seasons ago when they introduced Jenny she told Alan that Charlie knew about her and sent money to her mother periodically.

I heard second-hand that as well, which made no sense.

Speaking of which, wasn't there an ep inwhich Charlie's ghost showed up, reincarerated as Roanne Barr?

Now I wonder if anyone else who was on that show (and I don't even remember who they were) is still working.

That James Cromwell guy still works from time to time. ;)

Speaking of which, wasn't there an ep inwhich Charlie's ghost showed up, reincarerated as Roanne Barr?

Kathy Bates, but obviously with something like that, they practically screamed "This could all just be a hallucination/dream if that's what we want it to be." I think having Rose be the one who said that Charlie was dead and there being no body was always an attempt by Lorre to set it up in case Sheen would be willing to come back. 

As for the finale itself, I really and truly did not understand it. This stuff all went down over four years ago! Lorre already wrote a whole season premiere back in Season 9 where he seemingly got all of his anger issues out on Sheen. Everyone showing up to talk shit about Charlie, all of Charlie's new peccadilloes were introduced to demean the character. I thought it was petty then, but whatever, I certainly understood the impulse. But now, four years later, he's STILL obsessed with some stuff that went down over four years ago? It's just so pathetic. And more than just pathetic, it also seems to be ill-conceived. Reading interviews, a recurring thing Lorre keeps saying is "I had to address the Sheen stuff. Fans expected it." No, they really didn't. I mean, don't get me wrong, fans expected Sheen to make an appearance in the finale, especially after the show and CBS heavily hinted that he WOULD make an appearance to help the show's ratings, but beyond that, who in the world was tuning in to the finale of Two and a Half Men to see Chuck Lorre spend ANOTHER hour complaining about how much Charlie Sheen pissed him off four years ago? 

And then to learn that Sheen was open to making an appearance, but they were only open to it if he let them drop a piano on him? And he wanted to do it only to do a heartfelt thing? Surely there was some sort of compromise. But Lorre didn't seem to really give a shit about compromise. Also, it reminds me of the whole Eddie Murphy thing on SNL, where he backed out of playing Bill Cosby at the last minute. While that would have been hilarious, if you want Eddie Murphy to commit to doing a bit, don't ask him to do something edgy, just ask him to do pretty much ANYthing, as just HAVING Eddie Murphy in your sketch is a huge get. Same thing here. Charlie Sheen could have just walked up to the door and smiled and said nothing and that would have been a big "get." Just a weird, weird finale from a writer who clearly has some major issues (I know he's never hid from that fact, but boy was it extra obvious this time around). 

• Love 3

Alternate plot   Charlie faked his own death . Somehow Alan gets informed that  Charlie's royalty money is still being paid  to an offshore account. He wonders if Charlie is still alive .Walden hires a  PI played by Arnold . In his  investigation he runs through the entire past  series. (Eg Interviewing Charlies exes) Finally he corners John Stamos  (dressed like Charlie) who says he's being framed but is still thrown in jail.  Cue all of the family in the house saying how sad it is that Charlie is really dead.

Then cut to Charlie on a beach , smoking a cigar, with one of  his  exes  (preferably Mia)  and he say's "Winning." 

Edited by The Kings Foot
  • Love 8

Alternate plot   Charlie faked his own death . Somehow Alan gets informed that  Charlie's royalty money is still being paid  to an offshore account. He wonders if Charlie is still alive .Walden hires a  PI played by Arnold . In his  investigation he runs through the entire past  series.  Finally he corners John Stamos  (dressed like Charlie) who says he's being framed but is still thrown in jail.  Cue all of the family in the house saying how sad it is that Charlie is really dead.

Then cut to Charlie on a beach , smoking a cigar, with one of  his  exes  (preferably Mia)  and he say's "Winning." 

This would have been a great way to end the show.  Love that plot/

• Love 3
Seems to me Jake is a hypocrite..... was he under contact to do this?

I look at it as Angus Jones being young, and like a lot of young people he says and does things in fits of youthful passion that he will look back on in amazement, and perhaps embarrassment. Granted, it has only been a couple of years, and he may still be as passionate about his beliefs regarding the show.

Personally, I think he just wanted one more time with people he spent many years with, and who he likely still cares about. 

As for the finale itself, I haven't laughed that much at an episode of Two and a Half Men in ages. I like that they basically said "screw it" and went all out with the ridiculousness for the finale. 

It might have been nice to have Sheen actually appear, but the character of Charlie was definitely present in spirit throughout the episode, and I think that more than sufficed. 

For a second there, I thought Berta was going to get stiffed by Charlie, but I should have known he'd save the best for last. 

Well, it's has definitely been 12 years..,.....yeah, I got nothing more to add. 

• Love 2

I'm not sure why Charlie Sheen was owed anything to do with the finale. He burned his bridges after being one of the highest-paid sitcom actors ever. Is Chuck Lorre an asshole? Sure he is, but so is Charlie Sheen.

Was Charlie owed anything ? No.

Were his fans ? Yes.

• Love 1

Having watched both, I actually preferred Anger Management to Two and a Half Men. It had a larger cast overall, but was also able to create more storylines. I liked him with both his at home therapy group and his prison group, all of whom were hilarious to me. The ex-wife and daughter didn't add much to the show imo, but overall it had a lot more going

on than TAAHM. For one thing, we almost never saw Charlie Harper working on his jingles, whereas Charlie Goodson is working with one of his therapy groups every single

episode, and comes across as more intelligent and focused. The constant arguing between Alan and Charlie got old after awhile, imo. I think I read that originally TAAHM was going to end after 10 seasons when Jake was going to be sent off to college. When Ashton Kutcher took over, they were able to create more storylines that sustained the show

for the next 4 years. I'm still not sure if CBS wanted to cancel or if the producers/actors/writers decided it was time to end the series...does anyone know?

• Love 1

Was Charlie owed anything ? No.

Were his fans ? Yes.

I absolutely believe that the fans of the first eight seasons clearly had to be given something in the finale. No doubt about it. However, Lorre seemed to oddly believe that the fans were clamoring for specifically an acknowledgement of Sheen's DEPARTURE and not Sheen's EIGHT season tenure on the show. The latter is for sure, but I think he was way off base on the former. It was over four years ago, dude, get over it!!

Only thing I got from finale: Charlie Sheen owns Chuck Lorre. Charlie doesn't rent space in Chuck's head. He bought it in a short sell and built luxury condos.

Indubitably. I mean, granted, Lorre has never hidden his issues from the public. He practically wears his insecurities as a dinner jacket, but it is still disturbing to see it come out so publicly like this. 

I laughed at some funny moments, but I would have preferred an actual storyline wrap up for the entire list of characters. I feel like they all got sacrificed in order to feed Lorre's fragile ego.

I do love me some Arnold though.

• Love 1