Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E08: The Consummation Deviation

3 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

She seemed to be an abrupt bully who will just steamroller right over Raj.  But, then we get to know her, and she's patient, understanding, able to be vulnerable and accept vulnerability, funny, affectionate, and open--but still able to direct Raj when he hangs back.

I think she will end up being a fierce protector of Raj, and I like it!  I still crack up thinking about the Halloween episode and the "Bill of Tights!"   

• Love 8

Only thing in the episode I didn't like was Leonard and Penny having such different opinions on the first time they had sex. 

Wasn't there an episode where Penny goes out with Stuart and more or less lets it slip that the first time with Leonard wasn't great and  he knew it too....or was that just the first date?

I did like Anu's line at the end " I go take a shower and you decide how you want to play it.........take a shower with me Raj". She lets him think he has a choice for just the right amount of time..It was well written and well acted by her.

Edited to add: I answered my own question-it was in the Jiminny Conjecture in Season 3...somebody screwed up on the continuity!

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

So ours is the only family with two complete table and chair sets (kitchen and dining room) and we almost always sit in the family room on the sofas and the floor?  Just us?  Oh and this show :).

My parents have a perfectly nice table and chairs in the kitchen, and when they make a nice family dinner we eat at it. But if I just stop over for something and end up staying to eat, or it's a last minute "you wanna come for dinner?" sort of thing, we almost always eat in the living room. My parents each have their chair and I sit on the couch. (My mom decided she wanted to stay in and order pizza for her birthday last month and we ate in the living room.)

I live alone and my table isn't great for seeing the TV (or, uh, being clear enough to put a plate down) so I eat on the couch, or sometimes the floor.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Pop Tart said:

It was a nice callback to the way that Bernadette's dad bonded more with Sheldon (over football) in the Thanksgiving episode years ago and how jealous Howard was of the bonding. 

I had forgotten about that. Perhaps the writers did too, because it would have been in keeping with Howard's personality to point that out to Sheldon, and I think the audience would have enjoyed one of those brief moments of Sheldon "growth."

9 hours ago, hnygrl said:

Overall, I liked this one. If we were giving stars, I'd give it a solid 4 out of 5.

I'm not going to tally up the posts, but I'm pretty sure at least 80% or more of the posters on this thread agree with @hnygrl and thought this was a good or great episode.
For me, it was just okay, but that's because after the Shamy wedding episode--well, it showed what the writers were capable of, and, dammit, I want at least one more episode of that caliber in this final season.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, AriAu said:

Wasn't there an episode where Penny goes out with Stuart and more or less lets it slip that the first time with Leonard wasn't great and  he knew it too....or was that just the first date?

The thing with Stuart was she said Leonard's name when they started getting physical.

When they finally had sex the next season they both thought it was weird.

I suppose the weird sitting arrangements have a lot to do with camera positions and blocking. I can live with that as long it's not a focus point of the writing. The episode where Leonard bought a dining table and Sheldon threw such a massive tantrum that they all returned back to the sofa qualifies as one of the worst episodes ever in my book.

In this episode it made sense that it was briefly touched upon though I wish they had found a less ridiculous solution to the problem.

Like everybody else I'm surprised that the show is finally giving some good writing to Raj. Anu is a delight and I might be rooting for those two as I have never done before on this show.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I had forgotten about that. Perhaps the writers did too, because it would have been in keeping with Howard's personality to point that out to Sheldon, and I think the audience would have enjoyed one of those brief moments of Sheldon "growth."

I'm not going to tally up the posts, but I'm pretty sure at least 80% or more of the posters on this thread agree with @hnygrl and thought this was a good or great episode.
For me, it was just okay, but that's because after the Shamy wedding episode--well, it showed what the writers were capable of, and, dammit, I want at least one more episode of that caliber in this final season.

I thought it was ok as well nothing more. I found the Rajanu, Ranu? storyline the better of the two in this one, but I am still not sold on the Anu character and still feel a Feb wedding is way too soon for these two. I wish Raj had met her early last season and given the relationship a couple of seasons to develop as this just feels rushed. But I did like Anu more in this one.

Sheldon trying to form a relationship with Amy's parents is a noble one and welcomed. But again this week you saw childish Sheldon in the dialogue but then you got that mature moment when he forgave Amy and defended her to her mother. I just think 12 seasons in I prefer this mature, more self conscious Sheldon now.

Thinking back the episode I last truly loved on this show and I enjoyed it from start to finish was 10.7. I think personally since then they haven't come close to matching it. This season is ok for me, nothing more.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Edmond83 said:

Thinking back the episode I last truly loved on this show and I enjoyed it from start to finish was 10.7. I think personally since then they haven't come close to matching it.

For me I've been happy overall with all the episodes from season 10 onward (season 9 was very hit or miss for me) but the wedding episode from last season is the one episode I recommend to former fans as being Must See.  I don't know if I've converted anyone back to watching BBT but I know I've had a few friends thank me for pointing them to that one.  

This episode IMO was a strong one, some good lines but also I liked the way they utilized all the cast.  Bernadette probably had the smallest part to play but at least they weren't using her as the bullying shrew which I loathe.  I could have lived without the blood at the end of the episode but otherwise I welcomed back Teller and Kathy Bates - and she in particular got fleshed out a bit into a more well rounded person, which given how damn short the shows are now was a real coup!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

For me I've been happy overall with all the episodes from season 10 onward (season 9 was very hit or miss for me) but the wedding episode from last season is the one episode I recommend to former fans as being Must See.  I don't know if I've converted anyone back to watching BBT but I know I've had a few friends thank me for pointing them to that one.  

This episode IMO was a strong one, some good lines but also I liked the way they utilized all the cast.  Bernadette probably had the smallest part to play but at least they weren't using her as the bullying shrew which I loathe.  I could have lived without the blood at the end of the episode but otherwise I welcomed back Teller and Kathy Bates - and she in particular got fleshed out a but into a more well rounded person, which given how damn short the shows are now was a real coup!

See I liked the wedding but I had a personal gripe about her dress that dragged into the finale.  Weird position to have, silly with hindsight perhaps but it bugged me.

I would say it was a very good episode (11.24), but Veracity Elasticity 10.7 is still my favourite over the past couple of years. Every scene I thought was amazing, and the dialogue was top notch, with that Buridan's Donkey scene the icing on the cake.

Edited by Edmond83
4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I suppose the weird sitting arrangements have a lot to do with camera positions and blocking. I can live with that as long it's not a focus point of the writing. The episode where Leonard bought a dining table and Sheldon threw such a massive tantrum that they all returned back to the sofa qualifies as one of the worst episodes ever in my book..

I agree. I won't watch that one in reruns, though that's true for a lot of the later season episodes. Now that the giant toddler no longer lives there, P&L should just buy a dining table and put it in the dining room. I don't need a show about it, or care if they even mention it. I'd just like to see the friends sitting there eating. And if Sheldon is not in the scene, that's a big bonus. It would actually be a quick, easy way to show some growth and mental maturity on Leonard's part.

• Love 4

I thought Leonard and Penny thought their first time together was totally weird and Penny said it was okay later on but I fully believe Leonard would have found it awesome regardless what happened.

”You buy candy in a comic book store you get what you get” made me laugh, even if real comic book stores know they need to keep good snacks on hand.

Also I ate a questionable Hershey's kiss today that was from Easter...and we’re not sure which Easter...and it was NOT good.

• Love 5
On 11/9/2018 at 9:56 AM, AriAu said:

Its hard to ever be happy about psychological disorders, but it was kinda perfect to see the selective mutism return! Now how can we get back Skeevy Howard

The obvious answer is flashback. I'm not sure when they would flashback to or why, but if you want to see Skeevy Howard again, that's what makes the most sense. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I suppose the weird sitting arrangements have a lot to do with camera positions and blocking. I can live with that as long it's not a focus point of the writing.

I'm pretty sure the writers thought of the seating arrangement plot point as a kind of meta joke that long-time fans would enjoy. I'm sure other long-running sitcoms have done this more successfullly (maybe Seinfeld or The Nanny) but I can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head. Regardless, it didn't work very well here, IMO.
Yes, it's the camera blocking that has caused the seating configuration issues. So, why not just have one or more characters point out that the arrangement is necessary so they can all see the television? They could even have ended the scene with all of the seated characters staring at the camera (at us, the audience) because they were ostensibly watching something on TV—like the exit of The Walking Dead's main character, or whatever their group would likely not want to miss. That might've been a successful meta joke. *shapeshifter pats self on back*

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I thought Leonard and Penny thought their first time together was totally weird and Penny said it was okay later on but I fully believe Leonard would have found it awesome regardless what happened.

When Penny saw Leonard reminiscing about it with that big grin, she should've figured out that it was a happy memory for him and she shouldn't have said what she did.  Read the room, Penny!  Leonard has felt inferior to her since the beginning.  At least let him have that moment, even if it's just in his own mind!  She's made several comments like that to Bernadette over the years.  

• Love 3

I enjoyed this one more than I thought it would--going in I knew there would be a fair amount of Raj, but this was the first time I've enjoyed him in a while.

But, am I going crazy or did Amy's parents fly in for Amy and Sheldon's wedding?  Didn't Penny pick them up at the airport?  In this episode not only did they live in the area, but it sounded like they've lived there the entire time.

11 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

But, am I going crazy or did Amy's parents fly in for Amy and Sheldon's wedding?  Didn't Penny pick them up at the airport?  In this episode not only did they live in the area, but it sounded like they've lived there the entire time.

Omg, thank you! I watched Thursday's show thinking "huh?" The parents live like 5 minutes away? When did that happen?

• Love 3
On 11/9/2018 at 5:01 AM, Ms Lark said:

My love for Teller knows no bounds and hasn't for decades. I adore seeing him as Amy's dad and talking

Now that you mention it, it's kind of appropriate that Raj's selective mutism returned on an episode featuring Teller  :)

On 11/9/2018 at 9:01 AM, CherryAmes said:

So ours is the only family with two complete table and chair sets (kitchen and dining room) and we almost always sit in the family room on the sofas and the floor?

Our family has always sat on the couch and comfy chairs in the living room for meals, same room as the TV.  I guess that isn't the best habit to get into, but I've faithfully follwed it well into adulthood, and I'm not likely to change now.

On 11/9/2018 at 11:11 AM, joanne3482 said:

They've run out of time.  If they had one more season she would be. 

That's a good point (that Chuck Lorre would turn her into a shrew).  Anu might be the only major character's wife on the show to escape that fate.

• Love 2

The only thing that jarred me out of this episode was the aforementioned difference between Penny's and Leonard's memories of their first time. I can't remember it myself and I'm seriously doubting my own memories in general, but didn't it used to be one of the quirks of this show that these two seemingly-disparate people had amazing chemistry? Same with Howard and Bernadette. Yet at some point that changed and so over and over, we get the jokes that the women have been disappointed all this time and are just putting up with their nerd husbands's sexual awkwardness. Bah.

On 11/9/2018 at 5:53 PM, ChitChat said:

I think she will end up being a fierce protector of Raj, and I like it!  I still crack up thinking about the Halloween episode and the "Bill of Tights!"   

Me too!  I love Anu and would love them to "travel" to India for the wedding.

6 hours ago, rmontro said:
On 11/9/2018 at 5:01 AM, Ms Lark said:

My love for Teller knows no bounds and hasn't for decades. I adore seeing him as Amy's dad and talking

Now that you mention it, it's kind of appropriate that Raj's selective mutism returned on an episode featuring Teller  :)

Good catch.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I remember wondering this at the time and some of us talked about it in the wedding thread.  It is never explicitly stated that Penny picks them up at an airport but it's also never explicitly stated why they would need to be driven if they live in roughly the same area as the wedding venue.  May have been one of those things that would have been given a throwaway line if they'd had more time but more likely the writers never gave it a thought.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

I remember wondering this at the time and some of us talked about it in the wedding thread.  It is never explicitly stated that Penny picks them up at an airport but it's also never explicitly stated why they would need to be driven if they live in roughly the same area as the wedding venue.  May have been one of those things that would have been given a throwaway line if they'd had more time but more likely the writers never gave it a thought.

Also, when Sheldon first "meets" Amy's mother it's over a Skype session.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

Maybe the wedding venue didn't have adequate parking? 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

I paused the beginning of the wedding episode to read what was on the white board. There was flight info for Sheldon’s family but not for Amy’s parents. I can’t remember the city but it was one of the LA area UC’s, so Irvine or Riverside. 

1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

Maybe the wedding venue didn't have adequate parking? 

Can't remember now if it was me or someone else but I do remember that coming up as a possible reason for picking up Amy's parents.  It's plausible IMO but it was never actually said.  I think though watching the entirety of BBT after Amy it does seem clear that she doesn't live all that far from her parents.  Certainly I don't remember it ever being an issue when she needed to go to a family event - she drove there was no question of flying the way there would have been for Sheldon to visit his mother for instance.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Maybe they had taken a trip and were returning home, thus needing a lift from the airport.  I'm grasping at straws here.  ;)

• Love 3
On 11/9/2018 at 5:13 PM, Dani said:

His mom seems to be the type that would require all meals to be ate at the dinner table. He was young when he left for college so eating in front of the tv may have been his form of rebellion which just became habit. This weeks episode Young Sheldon may have just shown the beginning of that habit when he eats dinner while playing a video game. 

On 11/9/2018 at 5:13 PM, Dani said:

His mom seems to be the type that would require all meals to be ate at the dinner table. He was young when he left for college so eating in front of the tv may have been his form of rebellion which just became habit. This weeks episode Young Sheldon may have just shown the beginning of that habit when he eats dinner while playing a video game. 

I thought the opening scene was very interesting and wondered if the writers was trying to convey a message regarding race and gender within our current society. The question being, “Who is at the bottom?” or “Who belongs on the floor?” In the opening scene, Raj addressed his concerns to the group about sitting on the floor with his fiancé and Sheldon( white male) told Bernadette( white woman) to sit on the floor, Howard opposed Sheldon demands and then Howard (Jewish male) was told by Sheldon to sit on the floor. Leonard (white male) rebuffed the ideal that he should have to because it is his home, however, Penny (white female), actual residents of the apartment like Leonard said that she will sit on the floor. And we saw that there wasn’t a option for Sheldon or Leonard to sit on the floor. You noticed that the women and ethnic minorities (Jewish and Indian) was told to sit on the floor beneath the group. This scene gave a sense of hierarchical order to the group. If this scene was intentional to spark a bigger debate on race and gender, then it was cleverly crafted by the writers. In the end, the writers solution to the question, Who is at the bottom? or Who belongs on the floor? was no one. In the last scene, they showed that even though it may be uncomfortable for all of us to be equal and sit on the “societal couch as equals” that it is worth it.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Onynx said:

I thought the opening scene was very interesting and wondered if the writers was trying to convey a message regarding race and gender within our current society. The question being, “Who is at the bottom?” or “Who belongs on the floor?” In the opening scene, Raj addressed his concerns to the group about sitting on the floor with his fiancé and Sheldon( white male) told Bernadette( white woman) to sit on the floor, Howard opposed Sheldon demands and then Howard (Jewish male) was told by Sheldon to sit on the floor. Leonard (white male) rebuffed the ideal that he should have to because it is his home, however, Penny (white female), actual residents of the apartment like Leonard said that she will sit on the floor. And we saw that there wasn’t a option for Sheldon or Leonard to sit on the floor. You noticed that the women and ethnic minorities (Jewish and Indian) was told to sit on the floor beneath the group. This scene gave a sense of hierarchical order to the group. If this scene was intentional to spark a bigger debate on race and gender, then it was cleverly crafted by the writers. In the end, the writers solution to the question, Who is at the bottom? or Who belongs on the floor? was no one. In the last scene, they showed that even though it may be uncomfortable for all of us to be equal and sit on the “societal couch as equals” that it is worth it.

I think you're overthinking it as far as the story goes.  But Sheldon and Leonard are the stars of the show, so you are reflecting privileges that are existing in reality.  But Penny is also one of the three major stars of the show, so it's an interesting statement that she might have been put on the floor. I think that even though Penny is one of the three major stars, the show is shown from the perspective of Sheldon and Leonard.  Penny is part of the greater social world they are looking out upon.  

For me, the whole argument about who should sit on the floor just reminded me of the episode in which Leonard bought the table, but Sheldon refused to sit at it, and everybody felt sorry for him and went back to the couch arrangement.  

• Love 3
On 11/11/2018 at 9:22 AM, HouseofBeck said:

The only thing that jarred me out of this episode was the aforementioned difference between Penny's and Leonard's memories of their first time. I can't remember it myself and I'm seriously doubting my own memories in general, but didn't it used to be one of the quirks of this show that these two seemingly-disparate people had amazing chemistry?

We were told in The Jimmy Conjecture that Leonard and Penny's first time was not great for either; Leonard said it was  "fine" (which Sheldon passed on to her as "disappointing") and Penny said it was "okay" after some hesitation. Subsequent evidence about things between them has been inconsistent, but leans towards being disparaging of Leonard.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Token said:

I really want to like Anu, but I find the actress is.... not so good.

My thoughts exactly.  I like Anu as a character, and I like the Anu/Raj story line, but I'm not crazy about the actress.  I find her rather stiff and her lines feel forced.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

We were told in The Jimmy Conjecture that Leonard and Penny's first time was not great for either; Leonard said it was  "fine" (which Sheldon passed on to her as "disappointing") and Penny said it was "okay" after some hesitation. Subsequent evidence about things between them has been inconsistent, but leans towards being disparaging of Leonard.

I remember that episode, but not that particular interaction.  But there is a difference between your first time, and your first kiss.

Even if it were the same, perhaps Leonard's memories of it have grown fonder over time.  That would be consistent with his romantic nature, I think.

• Love 1

I don't mind the lack of a table at the apartment. Penny and Leonard can use the kitchen island for their meals if they want. I like where the couch is as a main sitting space. I suppose they could move the office type space that they have by the windows and put a table up there and use Sheldon's old room as an office/guest room. Penny's old apartment has not changed, Sheldon and Amy seem to be using the same furniture that Penny had. I have not seen too much of Sheldon's or Amy's at their place. Does Sheldon's old room at the apartment still have his things in it? Did they just sell off Amy's stuff?

The living situation is just a bit weird and I think something that is intentionally being ignored.

• Love 1

It might develop and grow but I don't think there is much chemistry between Raj and Anu, how I wish this started to happen last season giving a full couple of seasons for the actors chemistry to perhaps develop.

1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

Does Sheldon's old room at the apartment still have his things in it? Did they just sell off Amy's stuff?

The living situation is just a bit weird and I think something that is intentionally being ignored.

ON NOVEMBER 12, 2018 AT 3:37 AM, RMONTRO SAID:

For me, the whole argument about who should sit on the floor just reminded me of the episode in which Leonard bought the table, but Sheldon refused to sit at it, and everybody felt sorry for him and went back to the couch arrangement. 

Maybe

1. the writers assume the audience enjoys being in on the joke that the furniture hasn't changed in 12 years. I'm just not sure how much of the audience is laughing.
  2. Or maybe it's more like the show writers et al. are laughing at the audience for still watching a show that doesn't bother to redecorate the apartments? 
  3. Or maybe the show writers et al. are trying to slyly make the producers look too cheap to redecorate the apartments?
  4. Or it's a meta subliminal message that Sheldon is telling a 12-year-long story?
Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Or maybe it's more like the show writers et al. are laughing at the audience for still watching a show that doesn't bother to redecorate the apartments? 

I can't really think of any long-running sitcom that redecorated apartments or houses.  I still have the same furniture I had when this show started.  I did get a new mattress shortly into its run, I think,

• Love 6

i don't  mind that they've left Penny and Leonard's apartment pretty much intact but it is odd that they haven't done much to change up the apartment Amy and Sheldon live in now.  I did notice a new chair in that apartment and the bedding has changed so they aren't leaving it exactly as it was though.  One place they really worked to change was Howard and Bernadette's house.  I'm glad they never followed through on that open concept idea Bernadette floated a few years back -- so sick of open concept!

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I can't really think of any long-running sitcom that redecorated apartments or houses.  I still have the same furniture I had when this show started.  I did get a new mattress shortly into its run, I think,

Friends would be a good comparison, as Monica's apartment was largely unchanged. Joey's apartment changed several times, but it was organic with what happened on the show: it started with a shabby couch, they got some recliners, got robbed and had nothing for awhile, got new recliners that eventually broke, then just one recliner...

Here we have the two apartments that haven't changed much, if at all, because the dwellers haven't deemed it necessary to get new furniture, while Howard's house is practically unrecognizable from how it looked in early seasons. It all makes sense to me.

I do think that with Sheldon having vacated, Leonard and Penny could probably get a dining room table and get much less backlash from Sheldon this time around. Or at least get some stools for the island in the kitchen, that would work too.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I don't mind the lack of a table at the apartment. Penny and Leonard can use the kitchen island for their meals if they want. I like where the couch is as a main sitting space. I suppose they could move the office type space that they have by the windows and put a table up there and use Sheldon's old room as an office/guest room. Penny's old apartment has not changed, Sheldon and Amy seem to be using the same furniture that Penny had. I have not seen too much of Sheldon's or Amy's at their place. Does Sheldon's old room at the apartment still have his things in it? Did they just sell off Amy's stuff?

Most of Amy's stuff was likely ruined in the flooding of her apartment--at least her clothes were.

They've at least changed how the place was decorated.

• Love 1

And this may have been mentioned waaayyy back before I ever started reading Previously TV, but does anyone else think that Leonard & Penny's apartment is the same set from the original show "One Day at a Time"? The set up is almost exactly the same. 

• Love 1

I know I'm late to this part of the discussion, but Sheldon once referred to Amy as a "hotsy-totsy from Glendale". Granted there's at least one other Glendale in the US, it seems most likely he's referring to the one in California, which is pretty much a hop skip and jump from Pasadena.

• Love 5
On 11/11/2018 at 9:13 PM, Onynx said:

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, chaifan said:

My thoughts exactly.  I like Anu as a character, and I like the Anu/Raj story line, but I'm not crazy about the actress.  I find her rather stiff and her lines feel forced.

That's exactly how I feel about her.  You can almost see her thinking, "what line comes next?"

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, Chaos Theory said:

It was a first meeting and doesn’t she own/run/manage hotels?  So she might just be naturally abrupt in these situations.  I didn’t see it as rude. It’s hard to know when to shut off the manager especially in a similar situation.

Maybe, but having worked in a service industry, I have a low tolerance for treating wait staff badly, and she did treat that waiter badly.  I have no problem with strong women, but strong and rude to the point of being a bully are different things.  But she's improved a lot since then, and I'm fully behind this relationship now.

• Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, Katy M said:

Friends.  The major pieces of furniture in Monica's apartment didn't change but some of the art work did, and a lot of things changed in Chandler's apartment over the years.

On 11/9/2018 at 10:50 AM, LoneHaranguer said:

My guess from back when they were wrangling over the table is that Sheldon is unwilling to accept the "misuse" of a chair; desk chairs are for desks and dining room chairs are for dining room tables.

If so, I'd remind him that couches weren't made to be used as dining room furniture

• Love 3