Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: I Got Played

15 hours ago, Milaxx said:

I also found the Coliver scenes rather sweet. In fact so sweet I low key am nervous that it's Oliver who dies. I also loved that Oliver choose to wear a Barong for the wedding. I also like how Oliver's words about wanting to forget about all the awful things happening for a minute echo how many of us feel right about now.

know this is something of a UO 'round these parts, but they've always been one of the highlights of the show with me.

I liked the minister too.

• Love 6

The adoption mystery is not another twist we needed thrown into whatever this Gabriel/Bonnie/Frank/Annalise/governor storyline is. So the implication appears to be that Gabriel is Annalise's son who she gave up for adoption--which would totally undo so much of her character's foundation--or that perhaps she and Sam had tried to adopt him and something had gone wrong. I hadn't considered the latter until I saw others suggesting it here, but I think it makes more sense. This apparently information that could absolutely destroy Annalise, even given the other hits her reputation has taken over the past few years. Giving up a baby for adoption is not inherently scandalous, and I honestly can't think of too many ways it could be life-ruiningly shady, unless Annalise tried to sell him or something. But perhaps if she and Sam had tried to adopt Gabriel, some information may have come out during a background check or something that screwed the whole thing up, and now he's back for revenge. Idk. Really ready for next week.

Some people wondered if Gabriel had anything to do with Sam and his first wife. I feel like OG Mrs. Keating has been a Chekhov's Gun hanging over this show from the beginning. This is a character that just has to show up eventually (probably played by a Very Special Guest Star).

But regarding Gabriel--whoever he is, Laurel knows, right? Guess Frank told her when she caught on to what he was doing, though we didn't actually see that scene. Laurel seems more worried about the consequences than Frank does, which doesn't really give us any answers but is something to consider.

Kinda disappointed that Connor's beat-up face is from some rando homophobe. Now instead of being an integral part of the mystery, which I assumed it would be, it's just a thing that happened. Would have been much more interesting if he'd gotten into a fight with Asher or Gabriel.

Really disappointed that Annalise fell off the wagon. At first when Bonnie was going through the kitchen looking for evidence I was all indignant like how dare she! But she was right.

Michaela's Instagram (or the show's non-copyrighted equivalent of it) looks exactly like the thirst trap I would expect. I'm so proud.

On 11/9/2018 at 1:28 PM, stormy weather said:

Could it actually be that Gabriel is Annelise's son, the one who supposedly died in the car accident when she was pregnant? I mean, seeing how everything is planned so much in advance on this show, they could've easily swapped the baby at the hospital and make her believe he was dead. I mean, I know that's kind of far fetched, but after all we've seen, I wouldn't put anything past this show. 

Except it's not at all. They come up with everything, including the answers to the flashforward mysteries, as they go.

16 hours ago, Neurochick said:

What if Gabriel is Sam’s son that he had with another patient of his?  Maybe he was married to Annalise then and they both convinced the woman to put the child up for adoption, to save Sam’s reputation.

Hah, I would love this if only because it would be such a hilarious trajectory for the Sam character.

*impregnates a patient* Okay, you're gonna have to give it up for adoption, I can't risk losing my license.

*impregnates a student* tumblr_inline_ns9jirJFLH1sdt272_500.gif

• Love 2

One thing I thought of regarding the adoption thing is the fact that Annalise simply mentioned it to Bonnie and Bonnie knew exactly what she was talking about. While it's not out of the question that Sam or Annalise could have told her something about it, something about it made it feel like it was something Bonnie was there for and knew all about, and made me think it was something that happened after she was in their lives, and thus would not be about a possible Gabriel adoption. But that's just speculation.

I do feel like it was either just a last minute misdirect thrown in to get people think Gabriel is her son, and it'll be cleared up in the next episode, or it'll be a mystery for the back half. If it does have to do with Gabriel, I definitely don't think it's about him being her son, but it could have something to do with something shady Annalise did in one of her cases. But that'd be pretty underwhelming if that's who he ended up being, since that's something they're just bringing up now and not something we really cold have figured out before.

Edited by colorbars
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, colorbars said:

I do feel like it was either just a last minute misdirect thrown in to get people think Gabriel is her son, and it'll be cleared up in the next episode, or it'll be a mystery for the back half. If it does have to do with Gabriel, I definitely don't think it's about him being her son, but it could have something to do with something shady Annalise did in one of her cases. But that'd be pretty underwhelming if that's who he ended up being, since that's something they're just bringing up now and not something we really cold have figured out before.

OR, Gabriel could be related to Wes somehow? There must be a reason why they casted an actor who looks so much like Wes (in my opinion, at least) other than to mess with Lauren's head. Maybe they were brothers and Annalise had something to do with how they were separated and one of them was given up for adoption without the mother knowing? 

• Love 1
On 11/10/2018 at 2:51 PM, helenamonster said:

The adoption mystery is not another twist we needed thrown into whatever this Gabriel/Bonnie/Frank/Annalise/governor storyline is. So the implication appears to be that Gabriel is Annalise's son who she gave up for adoption--which would totally undo so much of her character's foundation--or that perhaps she and Sam had tried to adopt him and something had gone wrong. I hadn't considered the latter until I saw others suggesting it here, but I think it makes more sense. This apparently information that could absolutely destroy Annalise, even given the other hits her reputation has taken over the past few years. Giving up a baby for adoption is not inherently scandalous, and I honestly can't think of too many ways it could be life-ruiningly shady, unless Annalise tried to sell him or something. But perhaps if she and Sam had tried to adopt Gabriel, some information may have come out during a background check or something that screwed the whole thing up, and now he's back for revenge. Idk. Really ready for next week.

Some people wondered if Gabriel had anything to do with Sam and his first wife. I feel like OG Mrs. Keating has been a Chekhov's Gun hanging over this show from the beginning. This is a character that just has to show up eventually (probably played by a Very Special Guest Star).

But regarding Gabriel--whoever he is, Laurel knows, right? Guess Frank told her when she caught on to what he was doing, though we didn't actually see that scene. Laurel seems more worried about the consequences than Frank does, which doesn't really give us any answers but is something to consider.

Kinda disappointed that Connor's beat-up face is from some rando homophobe. Now instead of being an integral part of the mystery, which I assumed it would be, it's just a thing that happened. Would have been much more interesting if he'd gotten into a fight with Asher or Gabriel.

Really disappointed that Annalise fell off the wagon. At first when Bonnie was going through the kitchen looking for evidence I was all indignant like how dare she! But she was right.

Michaela's Instagram (or the show's non-copyrighted equivalent of it) looks exactly like the thirst trap I would expect. I'm so proud.

Except it's not at all. They come up with everything, including the answers to the flashforward mysteries, as they go.

Hah, I would love this if only because it would be such a hilarious trajectory for the Sam character.

*impregnates a patient* Okay, you're gonna have to give it up for adoption, I can't risk losing my license.

*impregnates a student* tumblr_inline_ns9jirJFLH1sdt272_500.gif

I don’t think Gabriel is AK or Bonnie’s kid. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up being Sam’s kid. I posted in the speculation thread if maybe Gab knew Wes  from witness protection. I’m also curious as the why Laurel is worried he could get them jailed. 

Rome Flynn’s IG is a major thirst trap too. At least Aja can use her covergirl contract as an excuse. Either way I follow them both.

Edited by Milaxx
19 hours ago, stormy weather said:

OR, Gabriel could be related to Wes somehow? There must be a reason why they casted an actor who looks so much like Wes (in my opinion, at least) other than to mess with Lauren's head. Maybe they were brothers and Annalise had something to do with how they were separated and one of them was given up for adoption without the mother knowing? 

Hmmm I don't see any resemblance to Wes at all. In fact, the only thing that would make me connect Gabriel to Wes at all is the fact that Gabriel is in the group that Wes was once part of. But then, asher isn't in the group, and Oliver is a part of it now so it doesn't really feel like the same group. 

Curious: am I the only one who doesn't think they look alike - not even a little? 

• Love 1

What I meant was they got a light-skinned black, tall, curly-haired, slim and handsome guy to play Gabriel. I think if they didn't want to hint at a vague resemblance with Wes they could've cast literally anyone else. I mean, I don't think it was casual.

On 11/9/2018 at 5:47 PM, Annber03 said:

The only reason I would've been concerned for Connor beating up that homophobe is because he's already been involved in so much shady stuff and had to deal with other dead bodies throughout the course of the series, so I was afraid that if he had killed the guy, yeah, it wouldn't be tied to the Keating gang's activities, but it'd still be one more scary thing he'd have to deal with, and it would only add to the stress that's already building in this lead up to the wedding. 

Outside of that, though, yeah, I don't blame him one bit for decking the guy. 

This is true.  And to my point that the assault was not justified.  I'm not defending the stranger who made the comment, but, regardless of how offensive words are, it's not a legal defense to assault and battery.  It might have made him feel better about decking the guy, but, if you get a criminal record, are barred from certain professions, and possibly get jail time, it's hardly worth it, imo. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
On 11/9/2018 at 12:28 PM, stormy weather said:

Could it actually be that Gabriel is Annelise's son, the one who supposedly died in the car accident when she was pregnant? I mean, seeing how everything is planned so much in advance on this show, they could've easily swapped the baby at the hospital and make her believe he was dead. I mean, I know that's kind of far fetched, but after all we've seen, I wouldn't put anything past this show. 

They showed her and Sam holding the dead baby.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, Milaxx said:

I don’t think Gabriel is AK or Bonnie’s kid. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up being Sam’s kid. I posted in the speculation thread if maybe Gab knew Wes  from witness protection. I’m also curious as the why Laurel is worried he could get them jailed. 

Rome Flynn’s IG is a major thirst trap too. At least Aja can use her covergirl contract as an excuse. Either way I follow them both.

Excuse me, I'm headed to IG.   I need to follow both of them stat. 

Also, I think that Gabriel has to be connected to Wes in some way.  Gabriel and Wes look too much alike, plus he's trying way too hard to fit in with everyone in the group.  He seems to be one step ahead of everyone in the group.  Eager to go to the wedding, clearly seducing Mikayla, trying to be supportive guy friend to Laurel, trying to fill teacher's pet to Annelise, trying to be Asher's bro, flirting lowkey with Oliver, basketball with Frank while lowkey dropping clues?  Yeah he's stringing them along for some reason.  There's no way casting just happened to cast a dude who looks almost exactly like Wes and then directed him to act like suave Wes.  He's like Cool Guy Wes.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

These two men look nothing alike.  They are both biracial, but their features are totally different.  I don't understand why people think they look "almost exactly" alike.

Yeah, I don't see it either.  Their bone structure is totally different in every way - different eyes, different face shape, etc, and that's not the only difference.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

enoch-alfred-image.jpg

Rome-Flynn-734x365.jpg

These two men look nothing alike.  They are both biracial, but their features are totally different.  I don't understand why people think they look "almost exactly" alike.

Me three. They look nothing alike.

That said, Gabriel clearly came with an agenda. He also has a bit of a chip on his shoulder.  It comes out when he speaks about dirty cops, or calling the hamburger lady's food, "oppression food". Somebody close to him got a raw deal and he's seeking vengeance.

• Love 5

Gabriel is clearly up to something, but I don't think his physical appearance is any kind of clue. Last season, the "newcomer with an agenda who tries to insinuate himself into the group" wasn't related, he had an agenda but no one thought he was anybody's relative.

• Love 2

While I agree that they don't look exactly alike,  I find ludicrous to overlook that they do share some similar features : it is not like Gabriel is a small,  plumpy, blue-eyed blond White guy. He does resemble Wes more than any other of the male cast and that is difficult for me to see it as just a coïncidence 

I'm not sure who the dead person is but after this episode I am thinking the killer is Bonnie's sister.  The way she was talking to this personakes me think the killer was having some kind of mental break down and Bonnie was soothing but take charge.  If it had been a Keating 4, ithink she'd have been much more forceful since it wasn't the first time any of them have been involved in a situation like this.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Coxfires said:

While I agree that they don't look exactly alike,  I find ludicrous to overlook that they do share some similar features : it is not like Gabriel is a small,  plumpy, blue-eyed blond White guy. He does resemble Wes more than any other of the male cast and that is difficult for me to see it as just a coïncidence 

Other than being biracial there really aren't any similarities. Remove the skin color and the similarities end. This discussion is veering close to all Black people look alike territory. I agree with @possibilities that it's more than likely that Gabriel is just this season's "newcomer with an agenda who tries to insinuate himself into the group". If anything I think they hired Rome to spark questions as to whether or not this was a long lost child of AK. Now that that theory has been debunked, people are jumping onto the thought that he is related to Wes, who other than skin color, he looks nothing like. Every Black or Biracial character introduced doesn't need to be related to Wes.  

• Love 7
On 11/8/2018 at 8:19 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Michaela, girl, why? I was really starting to like you again up until you showed up at Gabriel's doorstep.

On 11/8/2018 at 8:33 PM, tennisgurl said:

Oh Michaela. She is so smart about so many things, but often so dumb about romance. 

She and Asher cuddling was soooooo damn cute!  "Count slower!"  "One.....      Two....   "  LOL

On 11/9/2018 at 10:58 AM, Neurochick said:

I was glad Connor beat the homophobe's ass too.  I can't stand people like that.  I mean, people need to care about THEIR OWN LIVES, instead of worrying about other people and what they're doing.  

On 11/8/2018 at 8:33 PM, tennisgurl said:

Speaking of, Connor beat the crap out of that guy! Now we know why he looked beaten up at the wedding. 

I kinda wished they had taken his phone and texted "I got beat up by a f**" to all his friends!

On 11/9/2018 at 8:45 PM, KaveDweller said:

Maybe the baby is the killer. His family tree is full of murderers and his main caregivers have all killed or covered up a murder or two.  No one would see it coming.

Christopher and Maggie Simpson are related???? (See "Who Shot MR Burns?")

• Love 2

Half the men on the show are white, bearded, thin, good looking. I think none of them look similar, though. Likewise, if they cast Gabriel to "look like Wes" I don't see it, and I think it's kind of shocking to suggest that there's any kind of obvious resemblance. Their body types are totally different.

Gabriel is clearly up to something, but I don't think his physical appearance is any kind of clue. Last season's mysterious guy with an agenda looked as much like Connor or Asher as Gabriel looks like Wes and no one made that leap.

This show could do anything, so I make no predictions. But I don't think there's any resemblance that can  be taken as a hint.

• Love 4