Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Midnight Club

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, PeekaBoo said:

I mean, I thought it was good and all and I will repeat, Kj and Lili rocked their roles but for the general sense, I did not buy the kids being their parents (And cole, as much as he tried to repeat Skeet's younger facial expressions, sorry, I just didn't see it..). I secretly wished they would've picked other actors to play the parents as kids but hey, that's my opinion... 

The good thing about having the kids play their parents is I never had to remember which parent was being portrayed. It would have taken a lot of effort to remember who was playing which parent, just for one episode.

• Love 5

I actually thought Madelaine Petsch was making some bizarre choices. Penelope has a slow, low, syrupy voice, in stark contrast with Cheryl's clipped, energetic, high-pitched voice. So of course, when she plays Penelope, MP is...clipped and energetic? It was the wrong choice IMO.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Honestly, I don't think MP has much range.

The only ones who really showed any range were Lili and KJ. The rest were just themselves in different clothes. And the choices the writers made for the parents when they were young were odd. None of them really seemed to be what one would expect except Alice and Fred really. Maybe that's why Lili and KJ did the best? Because they are the only ones who had clearly defined characters that matched the adult versions of those characters. 

• Love 2
On 11/8/2018 at 11:12 AM, Dobian said:

Was it '92?  There was a Heathers reference so I knew it was at least 1988.  Edit: guess so, there was a Nirvana reference in there too.  But the way they were dressed and the music choices was clearly mid-80's.  Having lived through the 80s I can say with some authority that the 80s kind of stopped being the 80s after 1987.  1992 is Beverly Hills 90210 era which was definitely post-80s and stylishly much more similar to the present.  But it's okay, this show tends to be anachronistic and the parents all would be in their 50s and would have had these kids in their 30s if they were really from the Breakfast Club era.  And where was Molly Ringwald in all this?  I mean, duh, she was in the Breakfast Club and it was a no-brainer to have her cameo as a high school teacher or even the principal's secretary.  Especially since the principal was played by Anthony Michael Hall!  Huge head-scratching missed opportunity to reunite Ringwald and Michael Hall.

It felt early 90s to me. The bangs were not teased enough like it would be in the 80s. The Saved by the Bell reference works too because that show rang from 1988 to 1993. Lots of mid-80s music choices though, should have channeled 90210, get some Paula Abdul, Janet Jackson, New Kids, etc.

On 11/21/2018 at 3:51 AM, PeekaBoo said:

Awww, it's totally okay to cringe over the episode, to each their own!
I mean, I thought it was good and all and I will repeat, Kj and Lili rocked their roles but for the general sense, I did not buy the kids being their parents (And cole, as much as he tried to repeat Skeet's younger facial expressions, sorry, I just didn't see it..). I secretly wished they would've picked other actors to play the parents as kids but hey, that's my opinion... 
Now your comment I could have applied to the musical episode. lol! Now that was cringe fest! 
You wave your banner proudly! :-D

I must say, I thought Mark Consuelos's son (Kelly Ripa's son as well!) did a good job emulating his father.

Now your comment I could have applied to the musical episode. lol! Now that was cringe fest! 

Oh that was a cringey one too, I agree there!

This show is rapidly becoming a dumpster fire for me, but I keeeeeep watching. I guess because I didn't get into teen dramas as an actual teen it had to come out somewhere at some point. :P

• Love 2
19 hours ago, 1TrackMind said:

Oh that was a cringey one too, I agree there!

This show is rapidly becoming a dumpster fire for me, but I keeeeeep watching. I guess because I didn't get into teen dramas as an actual teen it had to come out somewhere at some point. :P

I haven’t seen this episode, I avoided it because I didn’t need to see the show using the teens as their parents, I’ve seen clips though and read everyone’s post here and I’m glad I skipped it. 

And yeah this show is..losing me. I keep watching because I do like the actors for the most part. But I have to say it season one was its peak. At least for me. I know others disagree. 

On 11/26/2018 at 12:54 AM, madpsych78 said:

Lots of mid-80s music choices though, should have channeled 90210, get some Paula Abdul, Janet Jackson, New Kids, etc.

On the other hand, the mid-80's music choices fits with Cheryl Blossom saying in the pilot that her parents conceived her and Jason to the tune of "All Through the Night" by Cyndi Lauper. Maybe in this universe those songs actually came out in the early 90's instead, but the fashion looks largely right for the time period.

Edited by methodwriter85
7 hours ago, Sonoma said:

The show blends eras, so even a period in time that is supposed to be the 90s will blend the 80s or even the 50s and present.

And in fairness, I'm still listening to songs that were big when I was in high school and college, not modern music. If you're trying to portray an era it's a weird choice, but for an individual to prefer what they consider better music because it's what they grew up listening to isn't odd at all.

• Love 1