Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E07: There's Gonna Be Tears Shed

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I’m actually shocked to see that seemingly no one out there knows who he is— even if School of Rock was 15 years ago, he’s done lots of other stuff before and since!

They showed a few of them recognizing him in the first ep. I think it was Dan and maybe Kara or Alison. I bet others probably realized who he was after that discussion and we just didn't see it.

• Love 3
On 11/9/2018 at 12:37 PM, MissBluxom said:

Would you care to recommend some specific seasons or episodes of the South African version of Survivor for me to watch?

I've only seen two, the one this year and the previous one which must have been about 5 years ago.  The earlier ones may be good but I haven't seen them.  I'd start with watching the whole of this year's which has around the same number of episodes as the US version.

Haven't read any of this thread yet (I will, I promise!) but I just have to say I would watch an hour of John walking around shirtless every week for the rest of the season.  I don't need to see any dumb competitions or any negotiations or plotting or anything else.  Just that ….man-god...existing on this earth shirtless is enough for me.

• Love 2
On 11/8/2018 at 10:33 PM, GenerationX said:

Random thoughts on episode 7 - "Survivor School"

• I still can't tell Alec from Nick.  One has vampire teeth, one's a flipper, and one has crazy alliance names.  Ease my suffering and just vote one of them out.
  • They must have borrowed one of TAR's amazing cameramen for the shot of the sign at the merge feast that said, paraphrasing, "Idol clue here, idiots."

I'm still surprised that nobody but Gabby thought anything of the merge feast (or at least the editing would have us believe that).  Have none of these people ever seen Survivor?  Isn't there always a clue to an idol at the merge feast?  Or is it sometimes at a reward and not necessarily at the merge feast?

Actually, I know that sometimes the clue is at a reward.  I remember the one group of people who got a plate of spaghetti and the clue was on the plate and someone just put all the spaghetti onto a napkin and hid the plate.  But I can't remember what season or who that was, and if that was for the first idol at the merged tribe beach, or if that was for a re-hidden idol.

Regarding Alec and Nick... I agree with you on the faces, I think they are very similar looking.  Honestly now that they are on the same tribe, the only way I can tell them apart is that Nick has chest hair and Alec has none or shaves.

Not sure why, but I have issues with telling Kara and the new woman Alison apart.  I think Kara looks like someone famous but can't put my finger on it.  While I think Alison is the one that I think looks like Monica Seles before she got her rumoured plastic surgery.

• Love 2

Okay, caught up with the thread.  I am with Alec.  I don't know why contestants on Survivor feel any kind of loyalty to their original tribe...I stopped watching Survivor years ago and started back in the Old Farts vs Millennials, maybe.  I think it was a season with lots of blindsides -- I loved it.  Got sucked right back in.  Anyway, again, I don't understand why randomly picked teams of complete strangers inspire such loyalty way after the teams have been mixed up and rejiggered, sometimes multiple times.  Was it last season that there were at least three team shuffles in the first six episodes, so lazy viewers like me couldn't remember which friggin' team had which people from the beginning so why do I give a crap about alliances set up in the first episodes when no one  knew anyone else.  Develop alliances when you know who to trust (or distrust) based on their actions.  

Go Alec.  I like you!

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

I don't know why contestants on Survivor feel any kind of loyalty to their original tribe...I stopped watching Survivor years ago and started back in the Old Farts vs Millennials, maybe.  I think it was a season with lots of blindsides -- I loved it.  Got sucked right back in.  Anyway, again, I don't understand why randomly picked teams of complete strangers inspire such loyalty way after the teams have been mixed up and rejiggered, sometimes multiple times.  Was it last season that there were at least three team shuffles in the first six episodes, so lazy viewers like me couldn't remember which friggin' team had which people from the beginning so why do I give a crap about alliances set up in the first episodes when no one  knew anyone else.  Develop alliances when you know who to trust (or distrust) based on their actions.  

Everything you posted (especially the bolded parts) makes 100% rational, logical sense.  One problem, though: in terms of intrinsic nature, the vast majority of people are neither rational nor logical.  ;)

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

Okay, caught up with the thread.  I am with Alec.  I don't know why contestants on Survivor feel any kind of loyalty to their original tribe...I stopped watching Survivor years ago and started back in the Old Farts vs Millennials, maybe.  I think it was a season with lots of blindsides -- I loved it.  Got sucked right back in.  Anyway, again, I don't understand why randomly picked teams of complete strangers inspire such loyalty way after the teams have been mixed up and rejiggered, sometimes multiple times.  Was it last season that there were at least three team shuffles in the first six episodes, so lazy viewers like me couldn't remember which friggin' team had which people from the beginning so why do I give a crap about alliances set up in the first episodes when no one  knew anyone else.  Develop alliances when you know who to trust (or distrust) based on their actions.  

Go Alec.  I like you!

I agree with Alec. Just because you are with them doesn't mean you have to be with them. It's like the old saying. Just because your friend jumps off a bridge it doesn't mean you have to. LOL!! In general, you should work with people you like and are comfortable with. I'm so over Tribe Name (Strong!). I think it's smart game play. Of course, Alec could be voted out next but at least he's trying something different that might work for him.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Nashville said:

Everything you posted (especially the bolded parts) makes 100% rational, logical sense.  One problem, though: in terms of intrinsic nature, the vast majority of people are neither rational nor logical.  ;)

I think it makes a lot more sense to us as viewers to jump and flip and form alliances with whoever you get along with.  I think it's easy for us at home to say "why stay Goliath strong, that's stupid" because we only see 45 minutes of what was 3 days of time on the island.  There is a TON of time sitting around just talking to each other and otherwise doing nothing.  These people had a lot of time getting to know each other and forming bonds and developing an "us against them" mentality before a tribal swap even happened.

So while it might make rational and logical sense to ditch your original group ASAP, I can understand why some of them feel very loyal to their original tribe. It's people they got to know very well and even if they might not like them, if their tribe is still ahead with a numbers advantage, I can see why everyone would want to stick together.

• Love 6
On 11/10/2018 at 5:32 PM, Rockfish said:

I agree with everything you’ve written, except the last bit about Dan: I can’t find him endearing at all because he seems like such a chauvinist. (Of course, I may be being led to think that by the editing, and he may actually be a good egg. He just seems to get so much more incensed at the females than he does at the dudes.)

That's actually how I feel about Nick because he only ever wants to create secret alliances with other men and he's always quick to turn on the women.  The only time he's aligned with women was someone else's choice and doing; never his.

On 11/12/2018 at 4:09 PM, blackwing said:

Regarding Alec and Nick... I agree with you on the faces, I think they are very similar looking.  Honestly now that they are on the same tribe, the only way I can tell them apart is that Nick has chest hair and Alec has none or shaves.

Alec has that crown of curls atop his head that sometimes looks like a mermaid shell.  

I feel like Nick's always wearing more clothes, like business shirts.  And I think his hair is straight.

On 11/12/2018 at 4:09 PM, blackwing said:

Not sure why, but I have issues with telling Kara and the new woman Alison apart.  I think Kara looks like someone famous but can't put my finger on it.  While I think Alison is the one that I think looks like Monica Seles before she got her rumoured plastic surgery.

Alison is a giant.  (LOL at "the new woman"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

You're right - Kara looks like Maria Bello.  I didn't put it together until you mentioned her resembling a celebrity.

Left - Maria.  Right - Kara.

63rd-annual-primetime-emmy-awards---arrivals.jpg  EA3_112406_1344b.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

You're right - Kara looks like Maria Bello. 

I've been trying to place her and I just got Maria Bello yesterday when I saw her on an old episode of Cold Case.

Not so much the way she looks on Survivor, but in the picture on her UNC Hospital page, Alison could be Darcy Carden's (Janet on The Good Place) twin.

alison.JPG.216c043e7ceb29906842540fa0ce0ba7.JPGalison2.JPG.a1589f505ff0e7452bc9805d5b4c1f5e.JPG

• Love 3
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

I've been trying to place her and I just got Maria Bello yesterday when I saw her on an old episode of Cold Case.

Not so much the way she looks on Survivor, but in the picture on her UNC Hospital page, Alison could be Darcy Carden's (Janet on The Good Place) twin.

alison.JPG.216c043e7ceb29906842540fa0ce0ba7.JPGalison2.JPG.a1589f505ff0e7452bc9805d5b4c1f5e.JPG

Could be worse - I was thinking Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

1E4FD1A7-5DC0-4DF7-ADC6-E6326756427B.jpeg.a493b575a43e9e22e00cb294941ff47d.jpeg

5 hours ago, blackwing said:

I think it makes a lot more sense to us as viewers to jump and flip and form alliances with whoever you get along with.  I think it's easy for us at home to say "why stay Goliath strong, that's stupid" because we only see 45 minutes of what was 3 days of time on the island.  There is a TON of time sitting around just talking to each other and otherwise doing nothing.  These people had a lot of time getting to know each other and forming bonds and developing an "us against them" mentality before a tribal swap even happened.

So while it might make rational and logical sense to ditch your original group ASAP, I can understand why some of them feel very loyal to their original tribe. It's people they got to know very well and even if they might not like them, if their tribe is still ahead with a numbers advantage, I can see why everyone would want to stick together.

There’s value in what you say, but I suspect the reality might be just a little more pragmatic.  One of the biggest Survivor tropes is “the Day One F2/F3/F4 which makes it all the way” - and for very good reason.  The “I was always loyal to my first Fn alliance” argument constitutes virtually impenetrable armor against any and all forms of double-dealing with every other contestant; it excuses everything - no matter HOW dirty or underhanded - as nothing more than strategy in service of advancing that Fn.

So everybody wants that early-days Fn, which means everybody is scrambling for it right out of the gate - but who’s available to scramble with?  Nobody but your original tribemates, that’s who.  Which means if a significant component of your (hopefully) winning strategy is to claim original loyalty over all else, you have little choice except to be attached at the hip to strangers TPTB put in your initial selection pool.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

I don't know why contestants on Survivor feel any kind of loyalty to their original tribe...I stopped watching Survivor years ago and started back in the Old Farts vs Millennials, maybe.  I think it was a season with lots of blindsides -- I loved it.  Got sucked right back in.  Anyway, again, I don't understand why randomly picked teams of complete strangers inspire such loyalty way after the teams have been mixed up and rejiggered, sometimes multiple times. 

I think you answered your own question.  Since the show mixes them up so quickly and often, the only stable delineation is the original team membership.  Also, people tend to resist bucking the group, so once a group (tribe) is established, people can be resistant to leaving the group and forming new bonds.  Why, it's what we tend to call- tribalism.  I agree this tendency usually makes this show quite boring (for at least several weeks).  I think that's why they are constantly throwing curve balls- to minimize that tedium and therefore to keep eyes watching. 

• Love 2

I really like Alec, and I didn't think I would.

I like him as a person, e.g. standing up against a bit of a bully, helping his teammates one-by-one as they rode poles from one plank to another, liking a game strategy to riding a wave while surfing, etc.

So far, he strikes me as very kind and playful and a bit devious but in a good way.

I also really like that he is thinking outside the traditional box. As Christian said, Alec walks the talk.  I love that whenever it happens.

P.S.  I have a bad feeling about Christian next week.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, BarneySays said:

I think you answered your own question.  Since the show mixes them up so quickly and often, the only stable delineation is the original team membership. 

I tend to think this as well, especially when there's two pre-merge swaps.  It's interesting, though -- the first super-swappy season was Gabon and by the merge time I don't think even the contestants could remember who was on their original tribe with them.  But the next one, Cambodia, despite the heroic efforts of the Witches, was pretty much a Bayon vs Ta Keo game -- and personally my guess is that Spencer only got in there because he had a pre-game alliance with Tasha.  Game Changers, too, was mostly Nuku dominance, and of course last season was Naviti Strong.  I think, in general, the one-swap seasons (like this one) tend towards more cross-tribal alliances.  But I could be wrong.

Personally I also like Alec, as he's an active player -- always my favorite type, tho it makes people online wail and gnash their terrible teeth.  I also like Dan.  I also like Nick.  I also like....literally everyone else.  There's not, admittedly, a Courtney Yates, Shane Powers, Cao Boi, Michelle Schubert type of person who I love with all my heart and soul, but there's also no Terry Dietz, Adam Klein type that I absolutely despise, or even anyone I just dislike!  It's nuts!  Whoever wins I will be happy with (so far, anyway) so that's a great feeling.

• Love 4
On 11/12/2018 at 8:26 PM, Red Bridey said:

I stopped watching Survivor years ago and started back in the Old Farts vs Millennials, maybe.  I think it was a season with lots of blindsides -- I loved it.  Got sucked right back in. 

Hee! Old Farts vs. Millennials.

I believe that may have been the last season of a true inter-tribal alliance, because there were people clearly on the outs of their original tribe. Those were not united tribes, so those on the bottom (David and Ken; Zeke, Adam and ultimately, Hannah) were looking for any excuse to jump ship. Both original tribes started out blindsiding each other -- there were very few unanimous votes. There were factions from the start, and I think that's what you need to create true inter-tribal alliances. When everybody loves each other, why would you switch?

This is likely why the Davids are fractured (the Jessica blindside), while the Goliaths are united. It doesn't work if it's only one team that doesn't get along. Plus, people need the motivation to switch things up for themselves. I haven't seen that since mvgx, and I haven't seen it here except in Alec, and potentially Christian. So, it's tricky, but it can be done -- and I haven't given up on it happening this season yet.

5 hours ago, Skycatcher said:

Better yet, how about a  bouquet of tissue flowers?

I haven't checked into this thread since Sunday. I guess I've grown accustomed to the fact that the action here seems to die down after Sunday.

I know you are trying to knock Gabby for crying too much. But that's OK. I think it's very healthy for people to express their feelings - no matter whether they are feeling good or bad. If people don't express their feelings, they get all bottled up and then one day they look into a camera and scream, "I hate STUPID people!"

Then they get voted out and most everyone claps and cheers. So, I will just continue to stand by my darling Gabby (she's mine - all mine) and I sincerely hope that after she is finished this season, she will go on to have herself a rich and rewarding life. I think she deserves that and ....  I absolutely adore Gabby and  I believe that I've said that before.

I don't mind people making fun of my darling Gabby cuz she cries a lot. It's just her way of dealing with the heartlessness of the other contestants and the mindlessness of the Peachy Beach who insists on always running his big mouth during all the challenges.

As far as all of you go? I wish you all nothing but the best and I hope you enjoy tonight's episode where - hopefully - the one person that we all seem to want to get voted out, will be leaving in the midst of maximum tears and humiliation. I can't speak her name cuz that would be a kind of spoiler. But, I'm pretty certain that most of us are on the same page. She is such a

STINKER! 
Edited by MissBluxom