Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Peggy's Day Out

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, AnnaRose said:

You're referring to the opening credits, right?  (O

The times that I heard it was the first voiceover of the episode that sets up the story not the credits. The show started in the summer of 1972, I doubt four episodes in we are in the Spring/Summer of 1973.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The times that I heard it was the first voiceover of the episode that sets up the story not the credits. The show started in the summer of 1972, I doubt four episodes in we are in the Spring/Summer of 1973.

I edited my post above. You are correct that it is the summer of 1972.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Again, I’m going to go with unreliable narrator :)

That's up to you but the narrator is factually incorrect.  The narrator states that seat belts were not 'invented' yet and the setting of the sitcom is 1972.  Seat belts were 'invented'.  They were required in all new cars starting in 1986.  That doesn't mean that you couldn't drive a car that didn't have them. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_belt

I'm going with facts and the narrator is incorrect.

3 hours ago, breezy424 said:

That's up to you but the narrator is factually incorrect.  The narrator states that seat belts were not 'invented' yet and the setting of the sitcom is 1972.  Seat belts were 'invented'.  They were required in all new cars starting in 1986.  That doesn't mean that you couldn't drive a car that didn't have them. 

I think you meant to write that seatbelts started to be required in cars in 1968.  I was a big car enthusiast as a kid so I remember that development well.  I was the only girl anywhere that owned Hot Wheels (which came on the market in 1968) and did slot car racing.  1968 was also the first year cars started having "side lights", I suppose as a safety feature so people can see your car at night from the side.  With regard to seatbelts, even though they were required in new cars, most states didn't start making laws about wearing them until the 1980s.  Because of that a lot of older cars had to be retrofitted to have seatbelts depending on their state's laws.  Some states don't require vintage cars to have seatbelts.

So to make a long story short, yes, the narrator is incorrect.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 1

I've had to hide some posts due to incivility.  Remember- memories are faulty, especially ones from 40+ years ago, even for TPTB (such as, when seat belts were invented).   There is no reason to tell people to "get it right" or just be snippy with your fellow posters in general.  This is a fun show that is going to bring up a lot of memories for a lot of us (myself included) and it's fun to share.  But it WAS a long time ago and it's hard to remember the specifics.  Let's remember our Be Civil Rule. 

Also, take any general discussion that is not directly related to the episodes to their proper threads.  The My Generation thread is a good one to take specifics about when hairstyles were popular, when seat belts were invented, etc. 

• Love 5

Ok, so seatbelts were invented, but the narrator doesn't remember that they were-- which kind of proves the mod's point, no?

More troublesome is the Watergate hearings on too early. But that too could be filtered through misremembering?

I'm actually dealing with faulty memory as we speak as someone is insisting he was not in AP English with me. Now high school was a looooong time ago-- but when it was only two years ago I wrote a play with him in that class.

I presume he knows what classes he was in and I am dead wrong. Somehow. And that all my memories of arguing with him in this class are invented and were within a few months of the class. Point is that MEMORY IS FREAKING WEIRD.

• Love 4

These were not the Congressional Hearings, but the Watergate Grand Jury, which would have likely been hearing testimony, leading up to indictments being filed on Sept. 15, 1972.  Remember, the break-in occurred in June of that year.  So that still being in the news makes sense.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

These were not the Congressional Hearings, but the Watergate Grand Jury, which would have likely been hearing testimony, leading up to indictments being filed on Sept. 15, 1972.  Remember, the break-in occurred in June of that year.  So that still being in the news makes sense.

Great catch, you're right - the clip on the TV in this episode referred to the Grand Jury, not the hearings.

On 11/14/2018 at 2:44 PM, HeySandyStrange said:

Didn’t Mike also enter the service really young? In the first episode I thought I heard the oldest son imply Mike aged himself up so he could join the military to fight in WWII. So he might’ve been still really young by the time it ended. Plus, maybe Mike and Peggy had difficulty conceiving before oldest was born.

My dad was a WWII vet and didn't have his first child until 1955. He lied about his age (which was fairly common then) and joined up in fall of 43 when he was 16. After being stationed in Germany til 47, he came back to the states and got a job. He met my mom (9 years younger than him), in 1954  I was born 3 of 4 in 1962.  It's highly possible that Mike was in the war from ages 18-22 or so, came back to usa, worked for a few years and met Peggy in 1950. Then had first child in 52. If Mike was 18 in 1943 a little older than my dad, he still would have been late 20s when oldest was born. Not implausible at all. 

Edited by lark37
Sorry saw moderator note after posted - can't figure out how to move to general thread. Sorry!
  • Love 1

Sorry to rehash the flip controversy. As a child, I was a big fan of That Girl (with Marlo Thomas).  It ran from 1966-71.  She wore her hair in a flip for most of the series.  Wendi would admire That Girl's wholesome pluckiness and career-girl aspirations, I think.  

• Love 4
On 11/14/2018 at 8:57 AM, biakbiak said:

The girlfriend should play Emma Stone’s sister in something.

I agree!  Sometimes I forget that it's not actually Emma Stone playing her!

Are we sure that the war Mike was in was WWII?  What about the Korean War?  For some reason, I thought he'd been in 'Nam and returned early, but that seems to be a completely wrongful assumption on my part. My dad was a WWII veteran and I was born in 1968, so Mike's age is plausible. 

2 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

Are we sure that the war Mike was in was WWII?  What about the Korean War?  For some reason, I thought he'd been in 'Nam and returned early, but that seems to be a completely wrongful assumption on my part. My dad was a WWII veteran and I was born in 1968, so Mike's age is plausible. 

He has mentioned it was WWII and fighting nazis more than once. Since the show is based on a real family I imagine it’s accurate.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

He has mentioned it was WWII and fighting nazis more than once. Since the show is based on a real family I imagine it’s accurate

Thanks biakbiak -- I completely missed that.  

16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

He has mentioned it was WWII and fighting nazis more than once. Since the show is based on a real family I imagine it’s accurate.

Born in 1964, dad was Inc wwii. Always thought don was the right age for wwii as well and it was a problem in the show. A man who married in 30s and had kids then was likelier to be Wwii vet than Korea and remember mikes oldest is college age. 

• Love 1
On 11/25/2018 at 9:35 PM, breezy424 said:

Not everyone is as logical and factual.  Plus the narrator is the artist type.  I grew up in the late 70s early 80s and because I never used a seatbelt Or a helmet as a kid I would definitely say “it was like seatbelts weren’t invented yet”.    

Now if you want to take everything he says incredibly literally then he is wrong.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
On 11/14/2018 at 4:00 PM, biakbiak said:

I don’t recall any part of dialogue to suggest he aged himself up but The war ended in 1945 and the first kid was in 1952 and then they clearly had children ever few years for the next 20 years so fertility struggles while not impossible seem fairly unlikely, though we do know that the oldest was born premature. They are going to be some of the oldest parents around for the baby. Nearly all my friends parents were baby boomers not veterans of WWII.

For what it’s worth Cudlitz is 54 and Mary 49 but who knows their ages. 

In the 40s, when my paternal grandparents married, they couldn’t conceive right away. It took nearly 3 years, then they had 14 kids (one about every 2 yrs plus 2 miscarriages).  Sometimes it happens. 

But I would like to know their ages.