Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: What Is Done

Dee
  • Start Topic

In an effort to sign more artists, Cookie and Lucious make a bet to see who can find someone first. While Lucious bets on the chance to meet an up and coming rapper in a high stakes poker game, Cookie takes to the streets to find untapped talent in a set of auditions. Meanwhile, Hakeem refuses to leave the studio when his rage inspires what he considers his best music yet and Jamal finds himself at a crossroads when Becky claims he's spending too much time with Kai.

I think that I have figured this out. I'm betting that the geek running Empire is the son of Lucious and the blonde in the bed. The person in the casket is the geek. The dude that bought the painting works for Mama Dubois. 

• Love 1

I thought it was out of character for Becky to bring edibles to Jamal's apartment. She's always been a good, caring friend to him, and she's witnessed everything he went through with his addiction. If she needs the gummies for anxiety, the Becky we know would have eaten one before leaving her apartment.

I don't care who's in the coffin, or about anything to do with Maya. I know Cookie had a deep bond with Poundcake, but we, the audience, don't know Maya at all, so why should we care?

The TBD storyline made me wonder whatever happened to En Vogue. That is who that storyline is inspired by, isn't it? The "tech bro tries to run a music label like a startup" storyline is boring because I've already seen it on Nashville.

If Lucious and Cookie were so hard up that they couldn't pay for air conditioning at the beginning of the season, why didn't they sell the $250,000 painting then?

• Love 2

Lucious & Cookie didn't sell that particular painting (like they sold many others) because it was a wedding gift from Lucious to Cookie.

Kai, Becky & Jamal bonding was the funniest thing ever. Gabby & Jussie's relationship is amazing.

I liked Maya snapping on Cookie. Cookie has Maya's best interests at heart, but the more Cookie pushes with Maya, the more difficult it is gonna be for Cookie to win her over.

I also continue to love the growth in Andre & Hakeem's relationship. Those two have come a long way.

Thirsty is the best.

Great to see Wood Harris. About time Lucious got some competition. He always works better with a potential rival.

Kingsley is insane.

TBD's new song is a hit.

• Love 3

The more I watch Jamal and Becky together, the more I miss a former friend because that’s how we used to interact with each other….damn.  Anyway, loved Jamal/Becky/Kai’s hysterical storyline, especially Becky rolling off the island to leave after finding out about Jamal and Kai’s engagement.  Is that Gabby’s real hair by the way?  I want a onesie too!

You know what, Maya?  Poundcake (RIP) be damned, if she had spoken to me like that after I tried to help her I would have told her to lose my number and keep on being a drug mule, ‘cause you know that’s going to happen again. 

Hopefully Hakeem is back to normal after getting his anger out. 

3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Why did Tisha Campbell let them do that to her head?

Maybe it is because she’s now divorced from Duane?  She’s had that crazy hair look for a while now, time to Gina Payne it back to normal because last night she was looking tore up from the floor up!  Did like the song TBD were singing though.

• Love 3

I loved this episode. I think Andre and Hakeem's relationship is great, and they have come a long way. I am not sure I understand what Maya is doing, but I understand more why her mother may have come to speak with Cookie. It makes me wonder what their conversation will be about. 

I think Becky is hurt because Jamal is now with Kai, and planning to spend the rest of his life with him, so I think she feels like she is losing her best friend. Lucious at that poker game and Cookie looking for new artists was good, but hopefully, this Damien Cross does not cause the family to possibly turn against each other, and I want to know who he is, and how does Cookie know him, and why? 

Is the season ending earlier this year, than previous seasons?

1 hour ago, Vixenstud said:

You know what, Maya?  Poundcake (RIP) be damned, if she had spoken to me like that after I tried to help her I would have told her to lose my number and keep on being a drug mule, ‘cause you know that’s going to happen again. 

Yes. Maya had a lot of nerve catching an attitude with Cookie when Cooks is the one that picked her up from the precinct. I would've put the deuces up, too. If she wants to end up in a cell, then that's on her. Ol' silly ass.

You could tell that Jussie, Gabby, and Kai (don't know the actor's real name) had a lot of fun filming those scenes. Although shame on Becky for bringing her drugs to a recovering addict's house. That aside, it was a welcomed, light spot in the story. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

And that her boyfriend won't do shit to help her because the way his trust fund is set up ... [eyeroll]

• Love 5

What happen to Becky's pregnancy?

She had an abortion last season. 

I loved the whole onesie sleepover stuff - it was seriously hilarious and it was almost a relief - no screaming, no drama (except for a brief moment when Jamal realized he'd eaten what he shouldn't have), just...weird fun! Good for them!

One thing that's interesting to me is that now that Cookie and Lucious are strapped for cash, we are seeing Cookie in one outfit for pretty much the entire episode. No more lavish outfits with each scene change, wigs, jewelry, etc. I mean, she's still Cookie and isn't wearing sweatpants, but her clothing is almost an additional character in and of itself, so it's really noticeable to see Cookie so scaled back from a sartorial point of view.

I'm not interested in Maya at all. I get Cookie's connection to her via Poundcake, but I don't even see the point of the Maya character at this point. It doesn't relate to anything, it's just off to the side.

• Love 1

Why did they bring up "Michael" (Rafael de la Fuente) as the prior "favorite boyfriend" of Jamaal? It seems like they're foreshadowing his possible return. If they do bring him back, at least they should let him sing this time. He's pretty good.

So these are the two people closest to Jamal and supposedly love him the most? His best friend brings edibles to his apartment then both his best friend and his fiancé decide it would be best for him if they all continue to eat more edibles instead of getting Jamal in touch with his sponsor. Not cool. Becky was totally being a jealous brat and trying to sabotage Jamal’s relationship. I’m not sure what Kai’s excuse is other than trying to bond with Jamal’s close friend. His priority should have been the health of his fiancé. 

• Love 2