Type keyword(s) to search

Anticipation for Interview with the Vampire

• Start Topic

While I am THRILLED that they're doing a series of these books, I really with it were the Mayfair Witches instead. I'd love for someone to do a mini series of the first three books in that series. The first one is difficult for some people to get through, mostly because it's just a lot of background info on the family, but I adore it. I like these novels as well, but I'm kind of over them at the moment. There are lots of vampire shows and movies out there, and while I still think Rice's are the best, they're just not holding my interest like they used to. 

• Love 2

I love the Mayfair witches as well. I am hoping if this show does well it will lead to other shows. I love her older stuff, the new books have gone off the rails a bit for me. I haven't gotten to newest one yet.

• Love 1

The first novel about the Mayfair witches is my absolute favorite of her books.

I liked the Vampire Chronicles in the 80s, when I was a teen. Once I grew up... eh, not so much. I tried to reread them, but I just couldn't get into them anymore. I'll check out the series, though.

• Love 2

I am thrilled they are adapting TVC first -but I am also one of those people that loves Mmenoch the Devil so so hard - so my taste is to be suspected...

I read The Mayfair Witches too and my biggest take away from those was that Rice could write something truly scary.  I don't remember if it was Lasher or Taltos - but I know one of them really freaked me out so my thoughts around that series is marred by that.

If I am being honest - I just want a good representation of Marius (who is by far my favorite character) - which means I need this to last probably for a few seasons to finally wash away the stank of the movie that shall not be named. 

Like the tv adaption of The Lost Boys, I don't have much hope for this show, but I'll probably give it chance. So much will rest on the casting and depiction of Lestat, which is no easy task. I do like the idea of the show beginning with Lestat's story in Paris.

I love the first 3 books in The Vampire Chronicles series then things started to fall apart to me. 

I figured they would start with The Vampire Lestat.  I liked the movie Interview With The Vampire and thought it was a good adaptation. I pity the kid who would have to follow Kirsten Dunst as Claudia. She was amazing so maybe they do not want to try again. Then again perhaps we will see stuff from the Original novel pop up in the series.  The Interviewer Daniel Molloy returns in the 3rd book.

Queen of the Damned is great since we had all the Vampires together.  It would be nice to see that come to life. I have hope but not a lot.

I cant want to see who they cast that could be a make or break it. 

I feel her stories work better as a series. I do not like that Hulu usually wont release all the episodes at once. For some shows they do and others not.

On 7/2/2019 at 12:35 PM, Robert Lynch said:

Who could play Armand or Marius, though? Or Lestat's mother? Lestat himself? Any suggestions?

Hulu is not moving forward with a planned series based on Anne Rice’s The Vampire Chronicles, Deadline has confirmed. We hear the rights did not expire on the project, but Hulu decided to pass. I figured this would happen. No news about this show at all.  HBO Max would maybe be a better fit. 

13 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

Hulu is not moving forward with a planned series based on Anne Rice’s The Vampire Chronicles, Deadline has confirmed. We hear the rights did not expire on the project, but Hulu decided to pass. I figured this would happen. No news about this show at all.  HBO Max would maybe be a better fit. 

Oh, wow. I thought HBO seem a better fit as well than Hulu.

Edited by Robert Lynch

Anne Rice’s ‘The Vampire Chronicles’ No Longer at Hulu; Is Being Shopped Elsewhere

The planned series based on Anne Rice’s “The Vampire Chronicles” is no longer in the works at Hulu, Variety has confirmed. According to sources, Rice and her team are once again shopping her intellectual property — but this time as a much larger TV package, and as a complete buyout of the TV/film rights.

According to one insider, the new package being shopped includes both “The Vampire Chronicles” and also Rice’s “Mayfair Witches,” which is currently set up at Warner Bros. The asking price is said to be around $30 to $40 million, in addition to a $2.5 million buyout of Warner Bros.’ rights. In exchange for the huge upfront fee however, the new owner will hold the rights in perpetuity, and not just as an option.

“The Vampire Chronicles” series follows vampire Lestat de Lioncourt who serves as hero, antihero, and narrator. Paramount Television and Anonymous Content had previously been attached to produce the project for Hulu, but their rights have expired for the package, opening the door for Rice to shop the new, larger package. The new deal includes “The Mayfair Witches,” about a family of witches, which began in 1990 with the novel “The Witching Hour.” Paramount was said to be among four or so bidders for the new package.

So ... yeah.  

The only thing I remember Anne Rice say she didn't want a 17 year old actor to play Armand because she feared they'll age out the parts if the series did continue beyond seasons 1 or 2. My best guess is Timothee Chamalet or Ansel Elgort, though Timothee did a good job in Call Me By Your Name. I could see him playing that part as well. Both have youthful faces. Armand is a very difficult character onscreen, despite describing him as a young beautiful 17 year old Russian. Sometimes I see either Finn Wolfhard or Timothee Chamalet. It's hard to explain. Well, I wish Anne luck on this. We will wait and see.

• Love 1

Ann Rice’s ‘Vampire Chronicles’, ‘Lives Of The Mayfair Witches’ Rights Land At AMC Networks

Anne Rice's 'Vampire Chronicles' Lands at AMC

AMC will develop projects based on the books via its AMC Studios banner. Rolin Jones (Friday Night Lights, HBO's upcoming Perry Mason), who recently signed an overall deal with the cabler, will be involved in developing projects from the Rice catalog for TV. The author and her son, Christopher Rice, will be executive producers of all TV and film projects that result from the deal.

"There is no shortage of content in today’s competitive environment, but proven IP that has captivated millions of fans around the world is something very special and rare, and that is what Anne Rice has created," said Sarah Barnett, president of AMC Networks Entertainment Group and AMC Studios. "These remarkable stories and characters are massive in their appeal, and we are privileged to take over stewardship of these legendary works and collaborate with a talent like Rolin Jones to find ways for new generations of fans to experience these worlds."

Added Anne Rice, "It’s always been my dream to see the worlds of my two biggest series united under a single roof so that filmmakers could explore the expansive and interconnected universe of my vampires and witches. "That dream is now a reality, and the result is one of the most significant and thrilling deals of my long career."

• Useful 1

AMC?!? Personally, I thought Netflix would be the better choice or the FX channel. I thought someone like Ryan Murphy would have been interested in this. Surprised that was not considered at all. Oh, well...

Jacob Anderson will be playing Louis. He also makes music under the name Raleigh Ritchie. Whatever the matter, he probably best known as Grey Worm on Game of Thrones.

We also have Aussie boy Sam Reid as Lestat. I'm not familiar with any of his work, but he once played Prince Harry. And at least to me, he looks kind of like Alfie Allen. Make of that what you will.

On 8/26/2021 at 9:55 AM, Anduin said:

Jacob Anderson will be playing Louis. He also makes music under the name Raleigh Ritchie. Whatever the matter, he probably best known as Grey Worm on Game of Thrones.

We also have Aussie boy Sam Reid as Lestat. I'm not familiar with any of his work, but he once played Prince Harry. And at least to me, he looks kind of like Alfie Allen. Make of that what you will.

I knew there was going to be a Game of Thrones actor on this show and I was surprised they went with Jacob Anderson. Not against changing the actor's nationality, but I would have guessed one of the Stark boys and Lino Facioli to play Louis since they are now in their 20s and have very aristocratic features. Color me surprised about them going with Jacob Anderson. I would have sworn Cody Fern would have been a shoe-in as Lestat and he looks like he would had a ball with that role, so consider me shocked that they went with Sam Reid. Not sure what to think about the casting...I just hope AMC knows what they are doing. 

Edited by letter8358
  • Love 1
On 8/27/2021 at 3:26 PM, letter8358 said:

I knew there was going to be a Game of Thrones actor on this show and I was surprised they went with Jacob Anderson. Not against changing the actor's nationality, but I would have guessed one of the Stark boys and Lino Facioli to play Louis since they are now in their 20s and have very aristocratic features. Color me surprised about them going with Jacob Anderson. I would have sworn Cody Fern would have been a shoe-in as Lestat and he looks like he would had a ball with that role, so consider me shocked that they went with Sam Reid. Not sure what to think about the casting...I just hope AMC knows what they are doing. 

Honestly I don't think Cody Fern is that good of an actor. He has the look but that's about it. 

The actress they hired for Claudia seems a bit too old. I know they can't be completely true to her age because no way. Maybe it was just the photos but Bailey Bass looks older then even 11. 

I did like Cody Fern in The Murder of Versace and I thought he showed immense talent there, even outshining Darren Criss here. I was just shocked Anne Rice never went with any of Ryan Murphy's casts or even worked for him. You think that an author who always envisioned these vampires as beautiful would go to the creator who could do this sort of thing. Ryan Murphy might be a bit much, but he could get the job done and I don't doubt he will do a descent job. I am just shocked she went with AMC..I think Netflix or F/X would have been much better suited for this material. AMC is what I think of Walking Dead and Mad Men!

Edited by letter8358

Honestly, I don't think anybody could top Kirsten Dunst's Claudia. She owned that role and being only 12 years old at the time, quite a range. True, the character of Claudia was much younger than Kirsten's, but I really cannot see anybody playing that character. Especially the new actress playing the Claudia role. I think Kirsten played that part so well...

• Love 2

Now I am wondering who could play Armand....I know Timothee Chamalet is out of the question. He has too many moves to do for Dune. Way too big and he is doing a sequel for Call Me By Your Name. I really remember reading that Anne Rice doesn't want a 17 year old because they age out the roles. The only one that would be ideal is Romann Berrux, who played young Fergus, in The Outlander. He is practically now in his early 20s and has a very youthful face. I would love to see who plays Armand. I think they are looking at those born between 1996 and early 2000s. I would believe that is their plan. I mean, they would not have a real life 17 year old, but they could have those that could pass for teenagers. I would probably be surprised if they picked Jack Kilmer. Hehehe....

I recently found out this was going to be a series. Of books of this type, I think it would make a really good series. 

I was doing some research, and saw they are race bending, Jacob Anderson most famously known as Grey Worm from GOT is going to be Louis, and Bailey Bass is going to be Claudia. Bailey is an adult (18 at the time of filming) but given her stature, they may be aging her down to 13 or so (clothing etc) to portray a child-vampire.

I think Jacob can handle the material, but I do wonder how the race bending will be portrayed and be reflected in the writing. A black Louis and Claudia are going to move through the world in a very different way than a white Louis and Claudia did, even though yeah, they are immortal vampires. I also wonder if this will play into Louis' relationship with Lestat- is Louis going to pose as his slave through parts of the story? Is it being moved into the 21st century to start?

Photo of Jacob, he is "cute" in an every man kind of way. (for Hollywood, in regular life he would certainly be a catch).

image.png.96c1556c4cc02992998b98e2421bc1cf.png

Bailey Bass, I love her curls and her chin is so cute! While I think the role of Claudia was one of the best parts Kirsten Dunst ever had, and they were able to just keep it on the line where we weren't creeped out by a 12yrs old acting with Brad Pitt, but the subtext was there, given she is an adult, they can push Claudia's "forever a child" angst a bit. Although when movie Claudia murdered that woman and kept the corpse in her bed, it was DANG.

image.thumb.png.241d943520e7bdb2d639473b994f4f3f.png

• Love 1